PDA

View Full Version : Are there any new RS6 members out there?

Leadfoot
September 22nd, 2008, 14:40
I'm curious, are there an members with the new RS6 and if so what do you think of your car compared to your last motor.

P.S.

Some nice pics would be great. :thumb:

gooseleg
September 22nd, 2008, 18:20
Since it's not avail in the us, I also would like to know

cornishmoocher
September 22nd, 2008, 20:49
Liwi has hers and is loving it and every moemnt of ownership!

StanYau
September 23rd, 2008, 12:32
I've had my RS 6 for nearly three weeks now, but have certainly put on the miles (covered around 1,600 miles already).

I originally posted about it here: http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16454

With photos of the car here:
http://cid-4e1a5ecb8134dc4d.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/080907%20Audi%20RS%206%20Avant?view=thumbs

I can't really compare to my last car, though, the RS 6 is in a completely different league to the A3 Sportback 3.2... :)

General thoughts...:

1. It's a very comfy car - effortless to drive around town. I got used to the size within days, and parking/manoeuvering isn't very difficult (despite outward size).

2. Acceleration is, indeed, brutal - it still brings me childish joy every time I floor it. Shame you hit 80mph so quickly - the engine can obviously give a lot more (but I daren't test it for fear of losing my driving licence!)

3. I can't really complain, given the car, but fuel consumption is crazy. My daily commute to work averages about 10-12 mpg. A full 80(ish) litre tank of Shell V-Power (UK 99 RON) costs around £85 a shot (or around US $155). Each tank gives me around 300 miles. By my reckoning, I've probably spent about £500 ($925) on fuel over the past 19 days of ownership. But I do realise that you can't really complain about fuel costs when you buy a car like this... :(

4. The 3-level DRC (which is standard in UK models) surprised me - it actually makes a significant difference to the ride. Personally, Sport is too harsh (on crappy UK roads, anyway). Comfort is very nice for motorway cruising and laid-back in-town driving. I usually leave it on Dynamic though - it's probably closest to the S-Line suspension of my old A3 (although maybe a tad softer).

5. Road noise was surprising - maybe this is a combination of the 20" tyres (again, standard in the UK) and the rubbish tarmac that we have on our roads. Certainly (and despite the double-glazed windows option), there is a reasonable amount of tyre noise that leaks into the main cabin. Very little sound leakage from the windows, mirrors and roof-rail, though.

6. Talking about noise - there's a distracting metallic clanging coming from the boot(/trunk) area over major bumps. I think that it's coming from the roll-up cover that's part of the rear seat assembly (used for securing loads in the boot). I'll need further investigation, but it's certainly a small but irritating issue as the rest of the cabin is flawless.

Having said all of that, I utterly enjoy the car. When I'm laid back, it's great in terms of the cosseting it provides. Small touches like the reversing camera, parking sensors and tilting passenger wing-mirror make parking the beast an easy task. The BOSE AudioPilot manages to adjust the volume up/down according to ambient noise very well - making the great stereo all that more enjoyable (I actually bought an iPod dedicated to the car through the AMI/MMI interface).

Satellite navigation is definitely one of the better ones I've come across, and shows features like nearest fuel station (which is basically a necessity for the RS 6). My one complaint about the SatNav (over my old TomTom) is that it doesn't show speed cameras - but I expect that factory-fitted SatNav could never get away with that.

All-in-all, a very enjoyable car. It's still slightly frightening when you floor it, and the grip is immense. However, in normal day-to-day, it's a very refined, sensible(?!?) car...

jonas21
September 23rd, 2008, 14:39
I can second Stanyou's comments. However i do not have these noise issues....but that might be because i have the double-glazed windows. The DRC with its 3 levels is excellent however sport really makes it break your neck on crappy roads.

So far i have spotted some problems or....say....strange "features".

1. I do have the bluetooth phone option. Once i receive an SMS/text the MMI only displays a small symbol in the display but doesnt play any sound. If you do not look at the display all thet im you'll soon miss some.
2. The MMI navigation no longer displays the next road exit, next gas station etc on the left. I loved this on the old RNS-E since you could easily choose if you were going to get gas here or rather drive on for some km/miles. So far i havent found any option to enable this feature on MMI. (but MMI now displays height via GPS...not very usefull).
@Stanyou: How did you get this to work? Did it work "out-of-the-box"? I cant find any option to enable it.
3. I just have noticed that the small display in the stack (FIS) seems to have temperature problems. We had a sudden temp. drop here the past days and one morning i was starting up the beast and the display was completly dark. I checked the brightness etc but no...it wouldnt display anything. After driving for some minutes the display was getting brighter but very slowly untill like 5 or 10 minutes passed. Then it was working normally. I have reported this to my dealer and they are checking this. There are known issues of these and the only way to fix is to replace the complete stack. So if anyone is observing the same....
My dealer is checking mine now and if it really is faulty they will replace it.

@Eric: Maybe it would make sense to seperate the RS6 forum into 2 parts, one for the new and one for the old RS6.

Erik
September 23rd, 2008, 15:06
3. I can't really complain, given the car, but fuel consumption is crazy. My daily commute to work averages about 10-12 mpg. A full 80(ish) litre tank of Shell V-Power (UK 99 RON) costs around £85 a shot (or around US $155). Each tank gives me around 300 miles. By my reckoning, I've probably spent about £500 ($925) on fuel over the past 19 days of ownership. But I do realise that you can't really complain about fuel costs when you buy a car like this... :(

Mr Metcalfe in EVO has one in Fast Fleet. He commented on the fuel consumption but wrote that they would NEVER mention this again, as the rest is just so good :D

liwi
September 23rd, 2008, 15:06
StanYau - I do totally agree with you on point 1 and 2.
3..mmm..buying a car like that I would not even consider how much to spend..just fill up...
4.agree
5 Not much road noise but not opting for double glazing...not that cold in UK.:snow: plus unnecessary extra weight...yes the pt 6 rattling in the back...I guess after securing the bits and bobs is now 'nema problema'.

Not impressed by MMI but never was anyway....except the tyrepressure and the temps it is showing...brill!

Satnav is crap but having an Alpine iva-d with touch screen and etc plus parrot in my other car, it is not even comparable, but the bluetooth connection is still ok.

Absolutely love every minute driving it.:rs6kiss:

liwi
September 23rd, 2008, 15:10
Mr Metcalfe in EVO has one in Fast Fleet. He commented on the fuel consumption but wrote that they would NEVER mention this again, as the rest is just so good :D

Funny you should say that, put mine in neutral for a bit..ok..I did accelarate but still this was showing 124mpg...but the mpg..is not the best, but really why buy this car if thinking of the fuel consumption?

StanYau
September 23rd, 2008, 17:13
Jonas - just to follow up about the standard SatNav.

The DIS (the display in the driver dashboard) shows turn-offs (and distance from them) - this was enabled out of the factory.

I know you can turn on/off the display of fuel stations, Audi service centres and the like from the SatNav using the MMI controls (can't remember right now what the option was called).

Just to confirm, though - the main MMI display in the central console does not show the turn-off directions or distance (that's on the driver console only). What the main screen console does do, though, is zoom into the junction/roundabout/turning so that you can see it in detail. It zooms back out again once you've made the manoeuvre. Fairly neat, in my opinion.

Does that help any, or were you looking for something else?

JavierNuvolari
September 23rd, 2008, 17:35
I would have never thought that Liwi had an RS 6:addict: . I mean I don't want to sound like an ass here but you know...a girl and an RS 6:addict: is not a usual combination so props to you Liwi:cheers: . :)

As for fuel compsumtion I have to agree with all you guys, people do not buy that kind of car being worried about mpgs...however US$155 a tank...to me does sound a bit steep.

Saludos

Trebor
September 23rd, 2008, 18:47
Bit of history for you
http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16012

Much much improved over my previous C5, different animal
More to come as now hit over 12,000 km to date & loving it :rs6kiss:

roadrunner
September 24th, 2008, 09:45
Bit of history for you
http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16012

Much much improved over my previous C5, different animal
More to come as now hit over 12,000 km to date & loving it :rs6kiss:

You are eating the kilometers, aren't you :hihi:

keept us posted :cheers:

Trebor
September 24th, 2008, 10:01
You are eating the kilometers, aren't you :hihi:

keept us posted :cheers:

Ooooh yes
Bought it to drive :jlol:

No point in having it if you don't drive it :thumb:

Will put it away for the winter though, appart from the odd play in the snow :wo:

sallyh
September 24th, 2008, 12:36
Hi all

Well, I've ordered the new Rs6 Avant Mugello Blue, sports seats, ceramic brakes (trying to keep the weight down) due to be delivered January 2009. Sold the previous RS6 Avant , Mugello Blue, Silver interior, on the strength of 580 hp, but, gosh, it was a good car and, my, the new one, at least in Australia, is very expensive (government taxes). So, these comments on the new car are very encouraging. Can anyone please enlighten me as to the tyres - I was in the UK recently and viewed two RS6s at the big dealership near Kew Gardens - the demonstrator had the Pirellis (as had the car at the Melbourne Motor Show) but the RS6 that someone had ordered but had had "changed circumstances"
had the Dunlops. The sales guy that I was speaking to wasn't very informative beyond "ohh, they must have done a deal". I mean, Pirellis are kind of more exciting sounding, perhaps it's just the advertising. The Avant I sold had Continentals. Is it just whatever deal Audi can do that determines the tyres or should I ring the dealer and say that I want Pirellis? What do people think?

StanYau
September 24th, 2008, 12:49
I've got a UK-spec car, and it came with Pirelli tyres (Pirelli PZero 275/35 ZR20 102Y, to be specific).

I have heard through this forum about others getting Dunlop tyres - I'd have been a bit cross if my car had come with them!

No special agreement was made with the dealer. They were 20" tyres (again, standard in the UK), although I did slap ceramic brakes onto the car (although I doubt this determines choice of tyres).

Trebor
September 24th, 2008, 13:03
Dunlop on mine & happy with :mech:

Check out the history http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16382

roadrunner
September 24th, 2008, 14:56
Hi all

Is it just whatever deal Audi can do that determines the tyres or should I ring the dealer and say that I want Pirellis? What do people think?

To my knowledge Audi has always more than one supplier of OEM tyres coming on the cars in the factory.

With the RS6, these are Dunlop & Pirelli (don't know if there is a 3rd OEM tyre). It is by Audi logistics which one come on your car.

cheers
seb.

sallyh
September 25th, 2008, 11:27
Thanks for all this. But it is still a bit of a mystery as to why some cars get the Pirellis and some cars get the Dunlops. And what's with the previous RS6 I had having Continentals? The UK dealer seemed to intimate that Audi goes with whatever tyres it can get the best (cheapest?) deal with - but I may be wrong here. I guess what I am getting at here is that I want the best tyres for the car, and will be cross if I don't get them. So, thanks for the comments about the Dunlops and I will read that thread. I am a bit twitchy about this whole tyre issue as to me it seems bizarre that Audi can't settle on a tyre and stick to it.

Leadfoot
September 25th, 2008, 11:57
Thanks for all this. But it is still a bit of a mystery as to why some cars get the Pirellis and some cars get the Dunlops. And what's with the previous RS6 I had having Continentals? The UK dealer seemed to intimate that Audi goes with whatever tyres it can get the best (cheapest?) deal with - but I may be wrong here. I guess what I am getting at here is that I want the best tyres for the car, and will be cross if I don't get them. So, thanks for the comments about the Dunlops and I will read that thread. I am a bit twitchy about this whole tyre issue as to me it seems bizarre that Audi can't settle on a tyre and stick to it.

I can tell you for first hand experience that what Audi UK are telling you is correct and Audi do price around for the cheapest tyre and go with that at the time, though the tyres you end up with is designed for the car in question. I got Dunlops on my S5 and I orginially wasn't happy as Pirellis, Michelin or Goodyear would have been my first choice but the tryes have proved to be both grippy and predictable which is more than half the battle when driving in slippy conditions which are common place in the UK.

IOW if you get Dunlops or Pirellis you car will perform equally as well. :thumb:

liwi
September 25th, 2008, 13:19
Hi Sallyh,

welcome onboard..and yes...
that was my first reaction of getting the Dunlop as well and did question this at the stealers, but after reading more reviews and of course Trebor's input of his magnificent performance, I would take his word for it and give it a go. :race:

mdk
September 25th, 2008, 16:42
I got really interested to find out what tyres will be on mine (already produced week-37, expecting to drive it mid-Oct). So investigated with the VIN number (which I already know) and found out that it is with Dunlops.
When asked why Dunlops I was told (by Audi in Greece) that cars produced July-08 onwards are fitted with Dunlops.

sallyh
September 26th, 2008, 00:30
Hi all

Thanks for welcome liwi. This is all very reassuring about the tires so I will wait and see what is on the car when it arrives in January. Please those with their new cars keep on posting comments as it is invaluable to actually hear from someone who owns the car, rather than just reading reviews from magazines.