PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Maint Schedule

lonestranger
September 20th, 2008, 03:14
What is the offical Audi position as to when the timing belt should be changed on a 03 RS6? I had a dealer on the east coast of FL tell me he thought it was at approx 100k/mile intervals! What is the real skinny? (I am looking at a 03 with approx 57k, and dealer claims to not know if belt was ever changed! I was under the impression 35 - 40k was "recommended":confused:

DHall1
September 20th, 2008, 03:17
every 35k after

Most of the 35k belts were done because warranty paid for the service.

if it was serviced at Audi...why would you go anywhere else when its free. :doh:

What is the offical Audi position as to when the tim:doh:ing belt should be changed on a 03 RS6? I had a dealer on the east coast of FL tell me he thought it was at approx 100k/mile intervals! What is the real skinny? (I am looking at a 03 with approx 57k, and dealer claims to not know if belt was ever changed! I was under the impression 35 - 40k was "recommended":confused:

BLITZEN
September 20th, 2008, 04:46
DHall is correct.

Take the VIN number to an audi service department and they can print for you the entire history of any work ever done at any Audi dealership.

lonestranger
September 20th, 2008, 15:41
Thanks all, I appreciate the quick replies.:jlol: That is what I thought, and I will certainly take the VIN to our local Audi store and have them run the #'s. (I also will definitely not take an Audi to the dealer on east coast, for anything, based on the "apparent depth of their knowledge!!":mech: Thanks again. Keep the shiny side up!!

HeadShot
September 20th, 2008, 18:31
I picked up my Car with 15,000 miles on it. My dealer changed out the timing belt shortly after that. (full 35k service even though it only had 16k on the clock at that point) They will do it under time if you are not putting the miles on it... timing belts - rubber compound breaks down, oils also. Its common with many car types. It should have the belt done 3yrs or 35k... as a full 35k service break fluids etc
.:nono:

vangelis
October 9th, 2009, 08:52
Is that true guys??? I bought my car 1 year ago done 16000 km mileage and till today its done 80000 km mileage with all required service done every 15000 km at the dealer, timing belt never replaced and dealer said it should be repalced either after 120,000 km or 5 years which comes first, so I believe I have to replace it now as already car is 5 years old now. What is recommended to be replaced/ checked while doing the timing belt and also where is the cheapest online store selling this kit if u know any?

DHall1
October 9th, 2009, 16:12
Use Audi parts. Water pump should be ok....but if you dont have ext warranty....you should change thermostat, rollers, seals and water pump.

It is true that other countries have sort of modified the 35,000 mile rule here in the US but first belt change at 75,000 miles? I dont buy that.

The highest number we have seen was in the range of 50,000 miles. I should search for that thread.

Your pushing 50,000 miles and really should do the timing belt asap.

Its interesting to see a factory belt last 6 yrs and 50,000 with no problems. Hmmm

Is that true guys??? I bought my car 1 year ago done 16000 km mileage and till today its done 80000 km mileage with all required service done every 15000 km at the dealer, timing belt never replaced and dealer said it should be repalced either after 120,000 km or 5 years which comes first, so I believe I have to replace it now as already car is 5 years old now. What is recommended to be replaced/ checked while doing the timing belt and also where is the cheapest online store selling this kit if u know any?

gregoryindiana
October 10th, 2009, 00:17
Audi paid for the belt change at 35k because they didn't want any warranty claims for broken pistons or bent valves. It was done for mileage or time, as said above. If Audi felt safer with the belt changed, I would be loath to do it at any longer mileage or time. It is an expensive piece of scrap if the belt breaks while running!

DHall1
October 10th, 2009, 01:44
Are you very sure the timing belt has never been changed in your car?

Didnt we have a thread about it last year?

Please confirm.

BTW, how is your car after the repairs? good?

vangelis
October 10th, 2009, 07:10
Yes, I'm sure my car never had this timing belt changed,,although I've followed the required scheduled maint. by the dealer,, but till today I've never seen that done. I felt worry also sometime back before my accident and I asked the dealer, they told me that is should be done at 120k km service or every 5 years which comes first. So, now mine is due to be replaced based on time as its 5 years old.

Ya, I got my car finally last Sunday but I'm still doing some checkups to ensure car back to normal. Thanks Dhall1 for asking. I will post a thread with some bad dyno results I got yesterday,, so bad :( dunno what is going wrong, will discuss it there.

Shoppinit
October 10th, 2009, 17:05
Initially in Europe, the interval was 90000km (56000 miles) which was later reduced to 60000km (37000 milse), presumably as a result of belt failures.