PDA

View Full Version : RS5 Will Deubt @ Detroit Auto Show 2009

chewym
September 16th, 2008, 03:31
Audi pretty much officially says that the RS5 will debut in January 2009 @ the Detroit auto show.

but Audi also says that the RS6 will not come to the US. ($$$) And the article also says that RS4 will be shown quite soon after the RS5 (Geneva 2009?)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=131897

Leadfoot
September 16th, 2008, 07:50
Well the info of the RS4 coming out shortly after the RS5 has been discussed months and months ago so there is no new info there apart from confirming it as fact.

roadrunner
September 16th, 2008, 08:45
There some other interesting infos in that article regarding RS6 Mk.III:

Regarding the third-generation RS6, arriving in 2012, Koch strongly hinted that not only would this car be a major global player and come immediately to North America, but that the primary concerns of the current vehicle's massive weight problem, compromised handling in hot curves and fuel-gulping 5.0-liter V10 engine would all be laid to rest. He called the third-generation model "revolutionary" and said it will be "far more RennSport than anything previously developed."

Although 2012 seems too soon to me:

C7 A6 intro planned for 2011 (Franfurt IAA autoshow in Sep. is a good guess for the sedan -> Geneva 2012 in march for the C7 A6 Avant) = RS6 from the start, not very likely.

the other info sounds too good to be true :bow:

Some more insights? on the future Audi S / RS / R strategy:

Within Quattro, the R label will signify souped-up Audi range toppers like the R8. The S label will represent something a touch more sporting than the current S. At the top will be the RS, the mother of all performance brands within the Audi world, losing that weight and taking on a far more authentic RennSport attack feel

cheers
seb.

chewym
September 16th, 2008, 09:11
I don't see the current V10 TT as fuel gulping, it's already more fuel efficient than the competition. I think it's an engine that can be used in the next gen RS6. The S6 gets the same fuel economy, so taking the turbos away does nothing. But most writers only see more power but don't look at the specs.

And the engine positioning will improve when Audi uses MLP for the A6. And aluminum/TT style construction should make the next A6 (and RS6) somewhat lighter.

artur777
September 16th, 2008, 11:37
Nice one info!

RS5 will be on ehell of a car.
The only question is that 450 hp will be not enough to win competition against RWD cars.

About RS6 2012 - I hope that it will be that fast but not sure really...

Leadfoot
September 16th, 2008, 12:32
The next A6 will be using alloy in it's body construction and will under cut the competition by 100~150kgs. Even the normal range will be one hell of a car and the rest (S and RS) will be truly outstanding.

I only wished I knew more about the RS5. ;)

HKS786
September 16th, 2008, 13:49
The next A6 will be using alloy in it's body construction and will under cut the competition by 100~150kgs. Even the normal range will be one hell of a car and the rest (S and RS) will be truly outstanding.

I knew about the weight saving strategy but I didnt know that's how good the savings would be! Sounds really good.

Leadie are you sure you dont know more about the RS5? :hahahehe:

Damienr8
September 16th, 2008, 15:54

I hope you are right. Thats good to hear. I can care less about horsepower these days (420hp vs 450hp in the RS5 dosent matter to me). Apart from other improvements, I want to see manufacturers use creative and safe methods of reducing weight in their model lineup. :cheers:

The Pretender
September 16th, 2008, 15:57
I sait a long time ago (and not only on the web) that Audi's need to loose some serous weight.
Adding power to the problem is not the right way.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
September 16th, 2008, 19:10
I hope you are right. Thats good to hear. I can care less about horsepower these days (420hp vs 450hp in the RS5 dosent matter to me). Apart from other improvements, I want to see manufacturers use creative and safe methods of reducing weight in their model lineup. :cheers:

The great weight savings are going to come with the replacement A6, don't expect the RS5 to have any worth while weight save over the S5.

RXBG
September 16th, 2008, 20:57
Audi pretty much officially says that the RS5 will debut in January 2009 @ the Detroit auto show.

but Audi also says that the RS6 will not come to the US. ($$$) And the article also says that RS4 will be shown quite soon after the RS5 (Geneva 2009?)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=131897

anything that comes from edmunds is suspect to deletion from my brain.
i know of no other less reliable source of info on the net.

i can buy that the RS5 may be ready for detroit. but the C7 RS6 info is silly.

Damienr8
September 16th, 2008, 21:46
The great weight savings are going to come with the replacement A6, don't expect the RS5 to have any worth while weight save over the S5.

Yea i figures the RS5 wouldnt have much in the realm of weight savings. It would be good if they keep S5 and RS5 weight figures the same though...

Let's see what the next platforms entail.

Bobbersmill
September 17th, 2008, 14:51
Im not too bothered if the rs5 has turbos or not. I would be happy if it had a leaner and meaner rs4 engine in. The B7 rs4 was plenty fast enough for me. I hope they get the looks right and elimiate a bit of understeer and keep the price around the rs4. Although Car mag was a mock up it did look very nice. If the it looks like the balck test mule I would pass. If it looks like car mags mock up thenIm pretty sure id have one depending on price.

Leadfoot
September 17th, 2008, 16:43
It won't have the same power as the RS4, think we can all agree on that one. ;)

Rage
September 25th, 2008, 23:59
It won't have the same power as the RS4, think we can all agree on that one. ;)

Agreed:) But the NA or turbo? I think Car magazine are wrong on this and it won't be a turbo, rather a high rev V8.

Leadfoot
September 26th, 2008, 12:47
Agreed:) But the NA or turbo? I think Car magazine are wrong on this and it won't be a turbo, rather a high rev V8.

We will have to see, won't we. ;)

HKS786
September 26th, 2008, 12:52
We will have to see, won't we. ;)

Unless Leadie knows something else these days? :hahahehe:

The Pretender
September 26th, 2008, 15:20
Now a day's Forged induction can go both ways @ Audi.
I thing is for sure, if it will be forged induction it will be a 4.0 litre V8 engine.
But it can be the big brother of the 3.0TFSI V6 supercharged engine or the little brother of the 5.0 TFSI V10 RS6 engine.
High rev V8 will not meet the CO2 standaards imho.

Jarod.

RXBG
September 26th, 2008, 16:48
i think audi will go the forced induction (FI) route. tho save costs it would make more sense to have a FI engine that can be tweaked to make more less power depending upon application, like they did with the v6.

that way they can have a new V8 that makes about 390 hp for the A6 and A8 and a top one that can go into the RS4/5 and the S6/S8.

crespo
September 26th, 2008, 17:01
Although 2012 seems too soon to me:

C7 A6 intro planned for 2011 (Franfurt IAA autoshow in Sep. is a good guess for the sedan -> Geneva 2012 in march for the C7 A6 Avant) = RS6 from the start, not very likely.

the other info sounds too good to be true :bow:
If the RS5 is being announced only a year after the A5 was released, and the RS4 much less than a year after the B8 A4 was released, 2012 doesn't seem soon at all relative to the new A6 being introduced.

We know the RS cars were traditionally released close to model year-ending dates, but things are changing over at Audi, and for the better. The longer I see an RS car stay within that model's body year, the better.

Rage
November 30th, 2008, 12:30
I wonder if we will still see the RS5 at the detroit auto show. There have been a number of unexpected no-shows recently (R8V10, new Z4....) and I might die of anticipation if nothing new is debued.

stubro
December 16th, 2008, 20:34
Everything I am hearing is that the RS5 will have a turbo. There is a guy in the Tampa Audi group who works with the company testing the new RS5 with their turbos in them. Now they could be testing multiple variants but he has said all along that it will be a turbo. He was an RS6 owner, like myself, and intends to get an RS5 when they are released.

Anyway might mean nothing but that is what he was saying.

The Pretender
December 16th, 2008, 21:17
Yes, Audi is testing a turbo engine with the same number in the a RS5 mule. ;)

Jarod.

Rage
December 16th, 2008, 22:01
Yes, Audi is testing a turbo engine with the same number in the a RS5 mule. ;)

Jarod.

Same number?

KK265
December 16th, 2008, 22:38
Same number?

I think V8 biturbo 450 PS.That is what I understood.

chewym
December 16th, 2008, 23:20
A twin turbo V8 makes a lot of sense. Audi is going to use such an engine (about 400 horsepower) on the A8 and possibly next S6, A7/Q7 are also possibilities. Using a little more boost would give Audi the power it needs. And Audi saves money by not developing an RS only engine. Instead they use an engine that would be made in some numbers.

Using simple math, Audi should be able to get 464 hp from a twin turbo V8 based on what the RS6 does. A 464 horsepower RS5 would be awesome, and will probably get better fuel economy than the M3, so Audi can brag about that.

This would put the RS5 way above the S5, and this engine would also be more fuel efficient than the previous RS4.

artur777
December 17th, 2008, 16:27
Don't forget that RS5 will be S-Tronic mated.
S-Tronic can hold up to 550 Nm now.
So is it possible to mate 464 hp and 550 Nm in one engine?

It looks nice:

- if the peak HP (464hp) will be reached at 8250 rpm as in RS4 then due to formula the egine should generate 530Nm at the moment.
So it's lower than 550 Nm and this figure is real.
But 530m is not far from 550Nm so the peak potential will be about 470 hp with the currect version of S-Tronic.

The Pretender
December 17th, 2008, 16:39
Same number?
Yes. Five.

Jarod.

artur777
December 17th, 2008, 17:49
Yes. Five.

Jarod.

Five cylinders or what?
Sorry for misuunderstanding

Rage
December 17th, 2008, 19:20
Five cylinders or what?

He means 5 spoke alloys.

The Pretender
December 17th, 2008, 19:23
Five cylinders or what?
Yes, five cylinder TFSI.
Not sure what plans they have with it.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
December 17th, 2008, 20:36
Yes, five cylinder TFSI.
Not sure what plans they have with it.

Jarod.

Unless it can increase in capacity there is no chance that the RS5 will receive the five cylinder TFSI destined for the TT/RS. The outer limits for this in 2.5L form and still regarded as reliable and drivable will be 380hp.

That is unless Jarod knows something the rest of us doesn't. ;)

artur777
December 17th, 2008, 22:29
They can't go for 5cylinders in RS5 against 6 ones in S4