PDA

View Full Version : Any special considerations in changing trim?

jbtexas
September 15th, 2008, 21:57
My RS6 is expected to leave Oregon in the next couple days and be in Dallas by end of this weekend. I haven't wasted any time in preparing for OEM modifications :mech:

I purchased a full new OE set of carbon fiber trim to replace the wood, new PS2s and a brand new RNS-E nav unit. For the carbon fiber trim, I am debating whether to work on the switch myself or just have the dealer do it. What do you think? Has anyone made the switch themself? Any special considerations?

thanks

mmaturo
September 15th, 2008, 22:19
My 2 cents...After you have gone through the effort to find THE mint RS6 I think you should take it to a dealer you trust and have them do it with the right tools...why risk accidentally scratching something. You have invested the $$ already...why stop now.

RNSE is a do it yourself though if you have the correct harness/gps antenna etc that you need (not sure you do if you just bought the main unit new from a dealer rather than the kit off of someone on navplus??).

jbtexas
September 15th, 2008, 22:21
My 2 cents...After you have gone through the effort to find THE mint RS6 I think you should take it to a dealer you trust and have them do it with the right tools...why risk accidentally scratching something. You have invested the $$ already...why stop now.

RNSE is a do it yourself though if you have the correct harness/gps antenna etc that you need (not sure you do if you just bought the main unit new from a dealer rather than the kit off of someone on navplus??).

Great feedback. Funny, I would never consider doing the RNSE in a million years... I am flying someone in to do the install :hihi: I bought the unit from Albert at Audinavi (not dealer), its shipping from Europe.

I would have thought that the trim was something very easy to switch, but you are probably right, just have the dealer do it... probably less than an hour of their time...

DuckWingDuck
September 15th, 2008, 22:49
a technician at your local audi dealership can probably do the rns-e install at the same time as he is swapping out the wood trim for carbon fibre.

mmaturo
September 15th, 2008, 23:00
Great feedback. Funny, I would never consider doing the RNSE in a million years... I am flying someone in to do the install :hihi: I bought the unit from Albert at Audinavi (not dealer), its shipping from Europe.

I would have thought that the trim was something very easy to switch, but you are probably right, just have the dealer do it... probably less than an hour of their time...

Heck, i would fly in to do it, never been to your part of the country. Really is easy. Glad to hear you are getting the entire setup on the RNSE as most of us have the same reflashed euro units...the truly new ones from Audi USA are $3000. You would need a tech you really trust to do it at the dealer as i would rather not have the dealer where i service the car know that i have been cutting into a couple of wires in the dash. So getting someone in to do it probably is best.

Good luck with it. Amazing that your car exists.

jbtexas
September 15th, 2008, 23:24
Heck, i would fly in to do it, never been to your part of the country. Really is easy. Glad to hear you are getting the entire setup on the RNSE as most of us have the same reflashed euro units...the truly new ones from Audi USA are $3000. You would need a tech you really trust to do it at the dealer as i would rather not have the dealer where i service the car know that i have been cutting into a couple of wires in the dash. So getting someone in to do it probably is best.

Good luck with it. Amazing that your car exists.

Tell me about it... (the amazing it exists part). Basically, I feel like I am getting to configure options on this car (different tires, different trim, different nav/sat/bluetooth, etc)... having all this on an 85 mile car really makes it feel like I am buying it "new".

KfabR8
September 16th, 2008, 00:08
Check the carbon pieces when you get them and see just how they're installed. Many of the pieces just snap in and it's nothing more than a pull of the installed pieces and then a push of the new carbon stuff.

Just a quick glance at my dash says that it's probably nothing more than a few pulls and a few screws to remove the stuff.

I can send you a pdf file that was sent to me by Brian of Vagnavs.com for the install of the RSN-E system. Mine's sitting in a box, ready to be installed when I get a chance in the next couple of weeks.

Most of this stuff is quite easy to change out if you have a little patience and the willingness to give it a shot.

DuckWingDuck
September 16th, 2008, 00:25
please send that PDF file to me! whatdafuhk @ gmail.com

KfabR8
September 16th, 2008, 00:46
Oh no. You're making fun of me again!:nono: (in another thread....)

Uh, well... maybe - if you can get my name right!:alig:

You got mail...

DuckWingDuck
September 16th, 2008, 00:58
haha, thanks. also, am I reading correctly that JBTEXAS is buying a new RNS-E system? I thought there were no more RNS-E, everything is on MMI now??

Boosted-Bora
September 16th, 2008, 03:05
im thinking about trying to wire in an MMi unit but it looks HARDDDDDD

jbtexas
September 16th, 2008, 03:56
yes i bought a new in the box RNS-E... couldnt find one in the U.S. so sourced from Europe...

Lee (nsxjr) is going to help me install with his custom harness, will also pick up bluetooth, satradio, etc. from him to all be installed together at the same time.

DuckWingDuck
September 16th, 2008, 04:55
jbtexas, you need to make sure it's coded for use in the US, otherwise you'll run into trouble. And if that is the case then I believe you are still using the same device as the rest of us (well, I'll be buying mine soon.)

jbtexas
September 16th, 2008, 14:08
jbtexas, you need to make sure it's coded for use in the US, otherwise you'll run into trouble. And if that is the case then I believe you are still using the same device as the rest of us (well, I'll be buying mine soon.)

hahaha, of course..ready to go with the latest USA software, latest 2008
maps, and fully prcoded to match car specs...;-)

If you decide to buy one, I really like my contact. I believe he carries both new and refurbished...

Haaggie Audinavi [haaggie@gmail.com]

DuckWingDuck
September 16th, 2008, 14:14
ya, I've talked to him a few times about getting an unit. At the time he didn't have one available. I believe I've got a local source though.

grizz
September 16th, 2008, 20:23
The carbon is really east to fit, It just comes straight off the panels .