PDA

View Full Version : Time for some comparisons

iconcls
July 24th, 2003, 16:39
For the lucky ones who taken delivery of your RS's, and have owned other performance cars (M5's, AMG's, Porsche), how would you compare them to the RS 6? I actually value more what civilians have to say then the rags/pundits.

I'd like to hear the good AND the bad.

nene
July 24th, 2003, 17:34
The only performance/semi-P cars I own are:
1997 BMW 540i (which I love), 2000 S4 (which I'm crazy about), and 2001 CLK 430 AMG Conv. (which is awesome).

Number 1 & 3 are the only V8s in the roundup. Number 2 is a V6 as we all know.

All V8s perform slightly different, given that the RS6 is way more powerful. Always loved the sounds of a V8, especially with a top down. I've always felt that the 540i and the CLK were fast, but they don't seem to provide the kick in the pants the S4 or the RS6 do, due probably to the fact that we have all that torque available at lower RPM range.

Driving...they're all a blast, in different types of conditions. When driving around my parents, when they are here from Portugal, I always use the 540i, due to comfort.
There seems to be a delay on both the 540i and the CLK where if you are just feathering the gas pedal, the car still does not move. The RS6 and S4 are not quite like that. You feather it, and it starts to go.

The NA engine of both the 540i and the CLK seem to provide a larger lag in response from the time you hit WOT to the time it actually starts kickin' arse. The Audi's seem to be more responsive on that end.

There are probably other things, but I love them all, in different ways.