PDA

View Full Version : First time with the RS6 at the track

Bigglezworth
September 15th, 2008, 02:50
Took the recently purchased RS6 to our local track tonight to see how well I could get it accelerating through the gears. Didn't go as planned.:(

Our track has 11 turns and two long straights. The front is a little longer than a 1/2 mile and I am use to seeing 240km/h with my supercharged NSX. My buddy who runs a 2003 M5 turns 220km/h on the front with his tank. Didn't expect to see figures like I do with my NSX, but I did figure I would see the RS6 would reach speeds that at least equalled my friends stock M5 after reading on the specs/stats and seeing lots of videos on the net showing the C5 RS6 accelerating through the gears.

Nothing was more further from the truth than what I experienced tonight. I had all I could do to get the RS6 to hit 190km/h over the 1/2 mile with a running start. I 'barely' ran the distance faster than a VW VR6 Golf and a Porsche Boxter. Needless to say I wasn't expecting this. Can't put my hands on why the power just didn't seem to be there. It's a nice night tonight at 21C so not overly hot to get heat soak IMO. There are no CEL lights and everything idled well. Didn't get to try it all that much as the brake fluid boiled over after only 6-7 laps. Looks like I'll be swapping out the brake hoses for SS lines and ensuring DOT5 or super blue racing fluid is put in. I know about the problems with the stock rotors/pads, but this wasn't brake fade - it was loss of pedal pressure.

Going to book some dyno time at a local tuners shop to see just what the engine is putting down. Car is a higher mileage beast so I suppose there could be some affect from that, but with how well it performed on my road trip back last weekend I simply can't see why the performance would have tanked in a week. I would make passes on cars like they were standing still and the tach would quickly go from 4K to 6.5K without batting an eye. Tonight I could count on my hands faster (so to speak).

Oh well. I'll get if figured out. I know it's not a great track car with weight going against it, and didn't expect great cornering. I did however expect reliable braking and lots of power accelerating. Both which let me down.:vhmmm:

Tim

DuckWingDuck
September 15th, 2008, 03:25
Tim, I agree, those are quite depressing figures. I've yet to track my RS6 but it is fairly zippy and the power is almost always there when I need it.

Texas RS6
September 29th, 2008, 18:04
I am more impressed with the amount of hot American hot rodded toys! I am assuming you are from somewhere other than the US because of the km speed references. :jlol:

mmaturo
September 29th, 2008, 19:43
Took the recently purchased RS6 to our local track tonight to see how well I could get it accelerating through the gears. Didn't go as planned.:(

Our track has 11 turns and two long straights. The front is a little longer than a 1/2 mile and I am use to seeing 240km/h with my supercharged NSX. My buddy who runs a 2003 M5 turns 220km/h on the front with his tank. Didn't expect to see figures like I do with my NSX, but I did figure I would see the RS6 would reach speeds that at least equalled my friends stock M5 after reading on the specs/stats and seeing lots of videos on the net showing the C5 RS6 accelerating through the gears.

Nothing was more further from the truth than what I experienced tonight. I had all I could do to get the RS6 to hit 190km/h over the 1/2 mile with a running start. I 'barely' ran the distance faster than a VW VR6 Golf and a Porsche Boxter. Needless to say I wasn't expecting this. Can't put my hands on why the power just didn't seem to be there. It's a nice night tonight at 21C so not overly hot to get heat soak IMO. There are no CEL lights and everything idled well. Didn't get to try it all that much as the brake fluid boiled over after only 6-7 laps. Looks like I'll be swapping out the brake hoses for SS lines and ensuring DOT5 or super blue racing fluid is put in. I know about the problems with the stock rotors/pads, but this wasn't brake fade - it was loss of pedal pressure.

Going to book some dyno time at a local tuners shop to see just what the engine is putting down. Car is a higher mileage beast so I suppose there could be some affect from that, but with how well it performed on my road trip back last weekend I simply can't see why the performance would have tanked in a week. I would make passes on cars like they were standing still and the tach would quickly go from 4K to 6.5K without batting an eye. Tonight I could count on my hands faster (so to speak).

Oh well. I'll get if figured out. I know it's not a great track car with weight going against it, and didn't expect great cornering. I did however expect reliable braking and lots of power accelerating. Both which let me down.:vhmmm:

Tim

Having tracked my RS6 7 or 8 times I can shed a little light. Your braking is all due to the stock fluid...if you put the high temp Motul or equivalent in and you can run 25 to 30 min run groups with no problem but you do need to do some extra cool down coasting around in the paddock regardless. I have found no reason to switch out the brake lines once the fluid was changed. On stock fluid I could count on it failing at 20 minutes of time consistently. Otherwise I have used EPC pads with success and once i switched the fluid the OEM pads are equal to track pads (the car is a whale so slightly more aggressive pads i really didn't think added much).

You definitely have something going on with power delivery...maybe your car was having a bad night with heat soak but there is NO WAY a VR6 or a non S boxster should be as fast as you...I run over the VR6s with ease and S4s and 911s (non turbo). The stock M5 of the current generation though will be quicker as it pulls better from 70 up than the RS6. My car in higher humidity and still moderate temps after several runs does seem to drop power. It seems to thrive on low humidity to keep the power there. Don't know how long you let the car cool down between runs but mine likes an hour.

Honestly my car has good and bad days on the street...one day i know I have the fastest RS6 stock out there (0 to 60 in low 4s) and others it seems to drag for no reason. Seems to be up to how the ECU feels that day.

Bigglezworth
September 30th, 2008, 01:24
I am more impressed with the amount of hot American hot rodded toys! I am assuming you are from somewhere other than the US because of the km speed references. :jlol:I'm in Calgary, Alberta yes. I grew up on domestic muscle and know gobbs about it all. My days of hot rodding are less now that I have a family. I make 5 times as much as I use to 20 years ago and have less money to spend on the car hobby as I did 20 years ago. Stupid math. :) I've been one of those people for the most part keeps buying cars without selling any off. Kept some of the less common ones which is what you see. My Buick is just something that has TOO many memories with it. It makes sense financially to part with it while the demand is high, but I simply can't. The Audi will likely be one of those rides that gains sentmental feelings and I'll keep it til I die. :)

Having tracked my RS6 7 or 8 times I can shed a little light. Your braking is all due to the stock fluid...if you put the high temp Motul or equivalent in and you can run 25 to 30 min run groups with no problem but you do need to do some extra cool down coasting around in the paddock regardless. I have found no reason to switch out the brake lines once the fluid was changed. On stock fluid I could count on it failing at 20 minutes of time consistently. Otherwise I have used EPC pads with success and once i switched the fluid the OEM pads are equal to track pads (the car is a whale so slightly more aggressive pads i really didn't think added much).

You definitely have something going on with power delivery...maybe your car was having a bad night with heat soak but there is NO WAY a VR6 or a non S boxster should be as fast as you...I run over the VR6s with ease and S4s and 911s (non turbo). The stock M5 of the current generation though will be quicker as it pulls better from 70 up than the RS6. My car in higher humidity and still moderate temps after several runs does seem to drop power. It seems to thrive on low humidity to keep the power there. Don't know how long you let the car cool down between runs but mine likes an hour.

Honestly my car has good and bad days on the street...one day i know I have the fastest RS6 stock out there (0 to 60 in low 4s) and others it seems to drag for no reason. Seems to be up to how the ECU feels that day.

Thanks for your experiences. Helps a little indeed. I have more to update on this. Had an engine light that signaled a failing valve on the heads. Repaired the leaking hose. Problem went away. Now have an entirely new problem. >sigh< Will figure it out sooner than later hopefully. Going to purchase a VAG-COM since my OBDII reader doesn't do much for the R.

Tim

Tim

SpinEcho
September 30th, 2008, 01:39
At the right sort of track, you WILL experience major problems with the stock pads if all you do is change the fluid. Your fluid might be fine, but your pads will overheat and then you'll wreck your discs. So be careful, and if you're going to track a lot, give a thought to one of the many mods (Phaeton ducts, Alcon BBK etc.) that seem to have worked for people on this forum.

Bigglezworth
October 1st, 2008, 04:36
I had planned to do fluid, lines, and pads with stock rotors at this time. I simply can't stand the current feeling of grinding metal on the front wheels and the squeal I get when pulling up to a red light slowly or parking in the parkade. Certainly some of the aftermarket pads will give off less dust, less squeal and not feel like I'm through the pads and grinding the rotor to shreds.

Texas RS6
October 1st, 2008, 15:27
DUST! My car looks like the brakes drag continuously. I wash the car and wheels then the next day it looks i drive with both feet on both pedals. If there is a less dusty pad offering excellent stopping power please let me know. Changing pads is so easy on these cars.

vangelis
October 1st, 2008, 16:15
DUST! My car looks like the brakes drag continuously. I wash the car and wheels then the next day it looks i drive with both feet on both pedals. If there is a less dusty pad offering excellent stopping power please let me know. Changing pads is so easy on these cars.

Yes, I have the same problem, appreciate your feedback with less dusty & excellent stopping power. Thanks all :bye:

mmaturo
October 1st, 2008, 16:21

Lol on both feet all in. The best investment i ever made was the titanium finish wheels...brilliant of Audi to paint wheels to match the brake dust ...no more washing every other day just for the front wheels. I got a little less from EPC pads. But just a little. Squealing was significantly better though.

DuckWingDuck
October 1st, 2008, 16:35
seriously. Brake dusting on this car is so horrible.