PDA

View Full Version : Advice please re winter driving in Germany

KarlMarx
September 14th, 2008, 13:08
Hi,

We're going to Germany to see the in-laws for Christmas and then going skiing afterwards. I'm trying to find out what we'll need in the way of winter tyres/snow chains. I've seen reliable official websites that state you don't need winter tyres by law although they're clearly a good idea.

My main question is regarding chains - I believe fitting standard snowchains will trash the rims - does anyone know of any chains that could be fitted to the 20'' alloys on an RS6 that wouldn't damage the alloys?

If you all shout back that for even considering not having winter tyres (given the four-wheel drive nature of the quattro) then I must be as thick as a plank then fair enough - but I'd value your opinions. Am I destined to have to get winter tyres and snow chains?

Also, any recommendations for winter tyres? I've had a hunt through the "search" function - just wondering if anyone had any experience with the new RS6 & this issue (for info we've got ceramic brakes)

Thanks in advance,
KM

Boosted-Bora
September 14th, 2008, 17:31
for a recommendation I would say go with the Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero in a 255/35/20 as I believe they are the only winter tire right now in a 20" that will fit the C6 RS6

DuckWingDuck
September 14th, 2008, 17:49
Is it safe to put chains on a 20" rim? I wonder if there's enough clearance to not damage the car.

jonas21
September 14th, 2008, 19:13
Winter tyres are not needed by law in germany. However its a very good idea to put them on. Regarding snow chains: you dont need these in germany by law either. But if you are going to the alps (austria etc) you will need them since they require them. So if you just get some winter tyres you should be pretty much set.

roadrunner
September 14th, 2008, 21:37
...But if you are going to the alps (austria etc) you will need them since they require them. ...

Normaly not, only if the weather conditions are really bad. On my numerous trips to Tirol (with winter tires of course ;) ) i never encountered a road that was closed to you without chaines = if you stick to the main roads, you will be fine.

cheers
seb.

gjg
September 16th, 2008, 09:11
Hi,

We're going to Germany to see the in-laws for Christmas and then going skiing afterwards. I'm trying to find out what we'll need in the way of winter tyres/snow chains. I've seen reliable official websites that state you don't need winter tyres by law although they're clearly a good idea.

My main question is regarding chains - I believe fitting standard snowchains will trash the rims - does anyone know of any chains that could be fitted to the 20'' alloys on an RS6 that wouldn't damage the alloys?

If you all shout back that for even considering not having winter tyres (given the four-wheel drive nature of the quattro) then I must be as thick as a plank then fair enough - but I'd value your opinions. Am I destined to have to get winter tyres and snow chains?

Also, any recommendations for winter tyres? I've had a hunt through the "search" function - just wondering if anyone had any experience with the new RS6 & this issue (for info we've got ceramic brakes)

Thanks in advance,
KM

Dunlop M3 Winter beats Pirelli anywhere... in deep snow Bridgestone Blizzaks are better.

I am not sure about "legal" requirement of snowchains in Austria, usually the routes to ski resorts are very well maintained