PDA

View Full Version : Sport filter for audi 03 rs6.....YES---OR----NO?

mimors6
September 10th, 2008, 19:35
thinking of putting some sport filters into my rs6...i have heard that it is not so good...some say its ok...so need your opinion....

thanks

DuckWingDuck
September 10th, 2008, 20:23
what the hell is a sport filter?

vangelis
September 10th, 2008, 20:57
I think you mean the high air flow filters,, I've bought 2x K&N air filters and waiting for the next service on 30K which is due in the next month then I will fix them and I've bought the K&N oil filter also. I've heard about them from so many friends and they recommended it so much. Dunno,,, what do you guy think??

KfabR8
September 10th, 2008, 22:00
K&N's are great as long as you're not in an area that has a lot of dust. For the street - probably fine.

I come from an off road racing background and the old K&N's have been the death of many a good engine out in the dirt...

Spidercat
September 10th, 2008, 23:09
Has anyone been using K&Ns for any length of time? I was toying with the idea of getting them a while ago, and talked to my mechanic about it while I was getting some work done. I had heard on a bunch of forums (Audi and other) about potential problems with aerosolized oil particles getting deposited on the mass air-flow (MAF) sensors, causing problems (even if you oil them properly). Also, I had heard that small particles (dust) can also more easily get through the filter (along with more air). He agreed on both counts and advised against it, especially given the relatively small power gains versus the cost of checking out a CEL or changing the MAFs.

I've used them on other vehicles (normally aspirated low-tech high-horsepower engines), but I'd at least do a little research before putting them in an RS6. The upside is also that they are reusable, but the paper Mahle filters aren't expensive and seem to work fine for me, provided you routinely change them.

snoopra
September 11th, 2008, 01:58
I've had them since Sept '07, no problems. Then again, I've only driven 2k miles since then. I use amsoil oil filters, which are the proven best at oil filtration.

Copper
September 11th, 2008, 18:34
Just my $.02, a group of us E31 (8 Series) owners set up a dyno-day for some ECU programming before chips were available for the 12 cylinder engine and we tested various combinations of aftermarket items.

Anyway, brand new K&N filters were installed in the stock locations (there are 2 air filters for the M70/M72 12 cylinder engine) and the net result was a LOSS in HP of about 4% vs. the stock OEM paper filters. We tried this on the 850CSi and my 850i. Same conclusion after many runs. In addition you really have to stay on top of the oiling and cleaning of the filters. After that test over 10 years ago I have never even considered going away from OEM. Some of the 993TT guys on Rennspeed toyed with the CAI filters and got HP loss as well. The stock system is already designed well in the OEM setup of most sports cars and super cars. I think cars like Honda Accords, Civics and some 3/5 Series BMWs can benefit from K&N since they are not set up from the factory to optimize air flow. Also aftermarket turbos can benefit as well but by and large with the RS6 we have the best setup from the factory for CAI and filters more than likely. I used to ride dirt bikes and know that most riders are 100% against using K&N and other filters that introduce oil in the equation. Dirt and dust stick to the oil but in mass quantities will clog up the intake very quickly and your engine goes "boom".

Again, I'm not a K&N hater and would consider dealing with the added upkeep if someone can post some real-world numbers showing the added benefit to these filters.

vangelis
September 13th, 2008, 10:42
Just my $.02, a group of us E31 (8 Series) owners set up a dyno-day for some ECU programming before chips were available for the 12 cylinder engine and we tested various combinations of aftermarket items.

Anyway, brand new K&N filters were installed in the stock locations (there are 2 air filters for the M70/M72 12 cylinder engine) and the net result was a LOSS in HP of about 4% vs. the stock OEM paper filters. We tried this on the 850CSi and my 850i. Same conclusion after many runs. In addition you really have to stay on top of the oiling and cleaning of the filters. After that test over 10 years ago I have never even considered going away from OEM. Some of the 993TT guys on Rennspeed toyed with the CAI filters and got HP loss as well. The stock system is already designed well in the OEM setup of most sports cars and super cars. I think cars like Honda Accords, Civics and some 3/5 Series BMWs can benefit from K&N since they are not set up from the factory to optimize air flow. Also aftermarket turbos can benefit as well but by and large with the RS6 we have the best setup from the factory for CAI and filters more than likely. I used to ride dirt bikes and know that most riders are 100% against using K&N and other filters that introduce oil in the equation. Dirt and dust stick to the oil but in mass quantities will clog up the intake very quickly and your engine goes "boom".

Again, I'm not a K&N hater and would consider dealing with the added upkeep if someone can post some real-world numbers showing the added benefit to these filters.

Thanks a lot Copper,, I do agree with you,, it make sense,, but what shall I do with the brand new K&N filters I bought? I was waiting the next serivce on 30K kilometter to install them!! :( ,, I will try to sell them here locally or on eBay :) ..thanks again,, I will stick with OEM ones.

MikeL01
September 13th, 2008, 16:35
The dealers that services my RS6 also race RS4s/6s and they stated they get better flow from stock Audi filters. This is just the opposite from my ZR1 where the K&N flow is noticeable

mimors6
September 14th, 2008, 09:49
So I installed the filters...although i just now read the things you guys mean...som i will replace them back with the OEM filters.....

of course that i dont want to blow my engine or do any other damage to my car..

but i notices a lot better sound of the engine...althoug hi have a sensation its a little bit slower....maybe because that i now know your opinion so its in m head

vangelis
September 14th, 2008, 11:56
That all about the air filters, but what about the Oil filter? I've bought also K&N Oil filter with that Turbomag oil filter magnet. about that Turbomag oil filter magnet is someone didn't hear about it, it is separates the ferrous particles from oil and traps it on the oil filter casing, it keeps the ferrous particles trapped in the oil filter until it is thrown away with a oil filter change. it is built with 6 super strong neodymium magnets; 1 magnet can easily lift 2.5 LB dumbbell weight. See picture below

troyjgaspard
September 20th, 2008, 03:06
since i installed my itg filter in my car i have noticed a great difference in my h orsepower and performance.i ordered my filter from somewhere in germany where i got my information and i got it from mtm motorsport engineers.try it i promiser thaqt u wont rgret it.they will run u a litttle over a hundred dollars per filter.

DHall1
September 20th, 2008, 03:23
Listen to your tech. I would agree.

Has anyone been using K&Ns for any length of time? I was toying with the idea of getting them a while ago, and talked to my mechanic about it while I was getting some work done. I had heard on a bunch of forums (Audi and other) about potential problems with aerosolized oil particles getting deposited on the mass air-flow (MAF) sensors, causing problems (even if you oil them properly). Also, I had heard that small particles (dust) can also more easily get through the filter (along with more air). He agreed on both counts and advised against it, especially given the relatively small power gains versus the cost of checking out a CEL or changing the MAFs.

I've used them on other vehicles (normally aspirated low-tech high-horsepower engines), but I'd at least do a little research before putting them in an RS6. The upside is also that they are reusable, but the paper Mahle filters aren't expensive and seem to work fine for me, provided you routinely change them.