PDA

View Full Version : About to pull the trigger on a 03 RS6 - Final Words of Advice?

jbtexas
September 7th, 2008, 22:54
Very low mileage car, loaded. Nothing has gone wrong to-date with the car (although I know eventually DRC, transmission, etc. will become issues). Owner has already purchased the Audi/Fidelity extended warranty so that would get transferred to me. Spending over $50k on the car though, so I admit I do have cold feet a little bit. Logically, the premium for a lower mileage car makes sense, but seeing all the RS6s for sale in the $30s-40s does cause me a little pause. :doh:

I am also going to make a final post separately to see if anyone on this board has a car for sale...still would be preferred. (would consider any car with under 40k miles and black interior).

Thanks for any final thoughts and all the help along the way...

HeadShot
September 8th, 2008, 01:24
There was a year left on the factory warranty when i brought mine with 15K on the clock in excellent condition. $55K.
If your paying above $50 i think considering age that is over priced. Miles?? My advice would be get a Vag Com and run the codes before you buy it. Mine had a fault in an engine sensor that was not generating a light but needed to be fixed.I found it on the Vag. before it went off warranty and the dealer had to drop the motor out to repair. That would have cost a packet had i not had the Vag. Well worth the investment.

jbtexas
September 8th, 2008, 01:53
Thanks.

This is one of the very low mileage examples on the market (rather not say which one :-) )

I would be paying more than $50k but less than $55k... I know that this is probably approx. $10k over what the average low mileage RS6 is selling for, but in this case I am thinking that getting a showroom example is worth something in terms of premium (?) Also having the warranty already in place is good, because that is something I would need to go purchase in the $3-5k range either way.

HeadShot
September 8th, 2008, 02:05
Sounds good..
The amount is meaningless for a car that gives back so much driver satisfaction. Worth every penny!!!!
:thumb:

jbtexas
September 8th, 2008, 02:19
Sounds good..
The amount is meaningless for a car that gives back so much driver satisfaction. Worth every penny!!!!
:thumb:

I must admit, it is a bit of a leap of faith...because if you read this board and Audiworld, there is pretty much not a single car that hasnt had major issues with DRC, transmission, etc.

DHall1
September 8th, 2008, 03:33
If its the car I think it is....you cannot go wrong. I considered it as well. Esp since the extended coverage is already in place. A bonus is the new PS2s already on it.

Very low mileage car, loaded. Nothing has gone wrong to-date with the car (although I know eventually DRC, transmission, etc. will become issues). Owner has already purchased the Audi/Fidelity extended warranty so that would get transferred to me. Spending over $50k on the car though, so I admit I do have cold feet a little bit. Logically, the premium for a lower mileage car makes sense, but seeing all the RS6s for sale in the $30s-40s does cause me a little pause. :doh:

I am also going to make a final post separately to see if anyone on this board has a car for sale...still would be preferred. (would consider any car with under 40k miles and black interior).

Thanks for any final thoughts and all the help along the way...

Roger
September 8th, 2008, 03:59
I've got an RS6 with 22K, stock, driven lightly by adult (I'm almost 50). Silver, black, nav, enhanced exhaust. It has low miles because I only use it on days I need to pick up one of the kids. Never had any problem, all service by Audi dealer. I just went to the dealer last week to see about a new S6 (and ended up putting down a deposit on a 2010 R8!). I'm in no hurry but if someone is willing to pay $50k for a nice example, this is it. I'm in PA, let me know.

jbtexas
September 8th, 2008, 04:46
Roger, I sent you a Private Message.

By the way, what did you think about the S6?

Roger
September 8th, 2008, 04:59
The S6 was nice! The newer Audi interior is nice, but it's no RS6 when it come to handling, it's more like a typical larger sports sedan, where the RS6 is like a sports car. I drive my Porsche on most days, but I'm amazed almost every time I drive the RS6 how well it handles, it actually gives more confidence in some situations then a mid-engine Porsche! If I get the S6 it will be just to get something new, not because it is better. The R8 on the other hand...WOW!

DuckWingDuck
September 8th, 2008, 16:33
We've covered this issue before but to me, a low mileage example is not really worth the premium that you have to pay especially if you'll be using the car as a daily driver....

And Roger, some of the craziest drivers I know are 50+ ;)

ben916
September 8th, 2008, 17:55
... some of the craziest drivers I know are 50+ ;)

I can second that one!!! When I had my Ducati 916, I would ride palomar on the fast side, not the tight side. There was this guy named Dave Janesko (spelling is very close) and he used to ride with the montra of "when in doubt, gas it". That doesn't quite work when there is a cow in the way or sand at the apex or antifreeze/diesel anywhere on the road...

Around the city, he would do wheelies right next to you and set it down within a foot or two of your back wheel... Crazy Mother Farmer!!!

The last time I saw him, he took is Ducati 900 SS and power shifted to a wheelie at Mother's cafe at the top of Mt. Palomar and then the chain broke....

DuckWingDuck
September 8th, 2008, 18:19
Once going through Palomar, I blew past Mother's cafe and a lot of fairly annoyed bikers glared at me.

Roger
September 8th, 2008, 19:40
We've covered this issue before but to me, a low mileage example is not really worth the premium that you have to pay especially if you'll be using the car as a daily driver....

And Roger, some of the craziest drivers I know are 50+ ;)

It all depends the mileage difference and the amount of the premium. Most will not pay $20k more for a car with only 20K less miles, but they will pay $5k more for a car with 60K less miles, and some would consider $10k to get 30k less miles. It's all relative - and most on this site have said that things like tranny, timing belt, etc will eventually go - so why wouldn't you want a car that has a lot further to go? If it's going to go at 60K miles, why buy one with 55k? The lower mileage car will have better paint, interior, all mechanicals - you just can't make a blanket statement like it's not worth it.

And for being an adult driver...I probably would have killed myself if I had this car when I was in my 20's or even 30's - my foot would have been to the floor every chance I got. Having a wife and kids makes most people more cautious.

HeadShot
September 8th, 2008, 19:53
I agree with Roger.. miles is an issue for me. I'd rather pay alittle more to know there was less wear and tear on the beast. Less time to have her flogged and abused. But some things time out no matter what. Audi did a full 35K service on my ride with 16,000miles on it. timing belt etc.. as the rubber compound is aging just sitting there.. same with fluids. bushings etc. Still if your lucky ya get the new car smell and a car that is as close to new as you'd want without paying for it.

DuckWingDuck
September 8th, 2008, 20:33
haha, okay, well, I suppose when you start to dissect it, it really becomes a question of degrees and the payoff between higher mileage v. more $$ you spend. However, some of the issues that you pointed to with respect to reliability does not necessarily apply in this instance...

For example, Hy Octane bought his RS6 brand new and practically from Day 1 he's been having problems with his DRC. Whereas for me, I didn't necessarily have any problems until my spectacular tyre blow out.

ben916
September 8th, 2008, 20:46
haha, okay, well, I suppose when you start to dissect it, it really becomes a question of degrees and the payoff between higher mileage v. more $$ you spend. However, some of the issues that you pointed to with respect to reliability does not necessarily apply in this instance...

For example, Hy Octane bought his RS6 brand new and practically from Day 1 he's been having problems with his DRC. Whereas for me, I didn't necessarily have any problems until my spectacular tyre blow out.

But did you purchase new or flogged?

DuckWingDuck
September 8th, 2008, 20:56
As I've mentioned several times,

1. I did not do enough proper research as Dhall1 and jbtexas are doing. For that they ought to be applauded.

2. As a direct result of point 1, I feel that I overpaid a little bit

3. Especially considering the credit crunch (I bought in August, RIGHT when the credit crunch hit) but bought it right at the beginning, so now, a year later, my price seems especially higher.

4. Compounded by the skyrocketing prices of oil/gas. Well, you get the point.

HeadShot
September 8th, 2008, 22:07
My DRC i'm afraid may be about to go... leaking shock seal spotted when i removed the bumper. But i think at this point replacing the DRC with a sweet shock set up is a fact of life with most RS6s. Just a matter of time / driving.

If i may be the first and seeing that Duck left the door WIDE open,

in response to..
1. I did not do enough proper research as Dhall1 and jbtexas are doing.

I never thought i'd see the day!!!
I think we all benefit from Gregs desire to never "not do enough proper research" again.
Cheers mate:cheers:

DuckWingDuck
September 8th, 2008, 22:39
rofl, to be honest, I don't think I even found the boards until I had bought the car! As it is, I am just thankful that I've garnered enough knowledge from you fine folks here that I am (or will be) maximising my enjoyment with my car going forward.

Nick, hopefully, you'll get a ride with the new shocks when both of us get home in a few weeks, but if you're leaking oil already, then it's time to get the damned things swapped out.

JCT2033
September 8th, 2008, 22:55
Just put some money aside as "DRC/KM V3 reserve fund."

Roger
September 8th, 2008, 23:04
Luckily it's been happy bliss for me, I've never had a single problem except the gas cap wasn't on tight enough once and it brought up a fault - cleared while I waited, no charge under warranty (that was in 2005, nothing since). At some of the prices I see I would never sell, not in the $30's or even lower $40's. But when I hear someone is willing to pay $50k for a nice one, my stock, easily driven 22k mile car is a good choice. Most of the cars for sale have 60-70k miles, so I have about 40k less than the ones out there. Is that worth an extra $10k to someone? The fact that I just went to look at a new S6 tells me that I probably will be looking to sell within the next year or so. I've only put 5k miles a year on it because I have multiple cars so it will have about 27k next year, maybe I will be able to get $40k then? We'll see, hopefully the legend of the Beast continues!

DHall1
September 9th, 2008, 02:30
Greg et all:

All things considered, I have appreciated all the help and effort from the group.

Some of us are in no hurry. In my case, we already own 6 cars and all but one have forced induction. 2 close to 500hp, 1 at 400 and the Lexus LX470 with the supercharger sitting at 350ish. ;) It may have been a different issue if I didnt have such boosted power to fill the need when the go pedal gets the hit.

Add the above and a busy business and I just dont get enough time to put the pencil to the paper and work out the logistics.

I think the time may be close....fingers crossed.

Thanks all,
Dave:addict:

My DRC i'm afraid may be about to go... leaking shock seal spotted when i removed the bumper. But i think at this point replacing the DRC with a sweet shock set up is a fact of life with most RS6s. Just a matter of time / driving.

If i may be the first and seeing that Duck left the door WIDE open,

in response to..
1. I did not do enough proper research as Dhall1 and jbtexas are doing.

I never thought i'd see the day!!!
I think we all benefit from Gregs desire to never "not do enough proper research" again.
Cheers mate:cheers:

DuckWingDuck
September 9th, 2008, 02:52
Dave, I will say this though, I'm sure none of your other cars feel like this one! I've driven pretty much every performance car except the crazy exotics like Koenigsegg and ya, Lambos and Ferraris are cool, they are nowhere as practical AND fun as the RS6.

That said, I'm still mildly in the market for a lotus....

DHall1
September 9th, 2008, 03:43
Greg,

Dont worry, our E55 did not take the place of the RS6. And yes, the RS6 stands alone and even took the place of my search for a 996TT.

:)

Dave, I will say this though, I'm sure none of your other cars feel like this one! I've driven pretty much every performance car except the crazy exotics like Koenigsegg and ya, Lambos and Ferraris are cool, they are nowhere as practical AND fun as the RS6.

That said, I'm still mildly in the market for a lotus....

DuckWingDuck
September 9th, 2008, 04:52
go 997 ;) Toying with the idea for one of those too.

jbtexas
September 9th, 2008, 16:44
Here is an update --

I came within a whisker of buying the 85 mile car. Decided not to, here is why:

1) was going to be quite the process to buy and ship the car...have done this before with no issues, but here the financials and logistics on the seller end were signficant...not enough by itself to deter me, but a factor

2) although basically a new RS6 (probably lowest mileage in the world), there is an "unkown" factor about mechanicals, seals, etc. after sitting for 5 yrs. yes the car has been serviced recently, but I am convinced that the engineers at Quattro GmBh didnt design the engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. to not be driven for 5yrs. The warranty helped defray some concern, but who wants to find out later that there are major impacts of the car sitting like this

3) The final price, while much lower than the original $65k asking, was still in the mid $50s and a lot of coin for a 6 yr used car, even a special one like this. For reference, several brand new sports sedans - C63AMG / RS4 /M3, etc. could all be had for less than $10k more. Yes the RS6 is a much more special/rare car, but mid $50s is significant

4) My wife recently raised the yellow flag when she did a little research on the C5 A6 platform crash test results. A) the frontal offset results were not very good B) no side impact tests were even performed. Probably not going to be enough to keep me from buying the right one eventually, but this was definitely a disappointment to hear. Since I will have my boys in the back occasionally (outboard seats), it would be nice to know how the car does in side impact. For reference, the S6 is 5-star rated for rear side impact...same with C/E63 AMG and M3 sedan.

So, thanks for all the emotional/rational support along the way...I am going to continue to be patient and also look into this crash ratings thing closer.

Bigglezworth
September 9th, 2008, 18:31
4) My wife recently raised the yellow flag when she did a little research on the C5 A6 platform crash test results. A) the frontal offset results were not very good B) no side impact tests were even performed. Probably not going to be enough to keep me from buying the right one eventually, but this was definitely a disappointment to hear. Since I will have my boys in the back occasionally (outboard seats), it would be nice to know how the car does in side impact. For reference, the S6 is 5-star rated for rear side impact...same with C/E63 AMG and M3 sedan.
This specific item was the exact reason the Gov't of Canada didn't allow the 2003 RS6 into Canada. 8 weeks ago the Dept. of Transportation 'harmonized the bumper standards' used for crash test ratings to meet that of the US and European communities. Canada well knew the crash testing was never performed and as a result failed the car for safety matters. I'm unclear on what modifications (if any) were performed by Audi North America to allow the 90 2004 RS6 vehicles for import into Canada. Whenever I contacted the Gov't body that regulates what vehicles are permissible and what aren't for Canada they were unable to confirm for me what modifications were necessary from the 2003 model to the ones that were accepted. I can tell you that the 2004 RS6 was 140K in Canada though.....

FWIW, It didn't deter my choice for moving from a Volvo with all the side impact and offset frontal impact testing to the purchase a 2003 RS6.

Tim

DHall1
September 9th, 2008, 19:24
Haha, too funny.

I have narrowed the list. The choice is down to 2.

Greg-I hope you and Justin can make it over on Sunday. That is one of the choices. I may even have the deal done pending your inspection by the time you guys get there on Sunday.

Check your PM

go 997 ;) Toying with the idea for one of those too.

DuckWingDuck
September 9th, 2008, 22:25
dave, got it! My business down here in Central America may necessitate a change in itinerary but hope not. I've been down here for three weeks and I am more than ready to go home.

jbtexas
September 10th, 2008, 22:31
Here is an update --

I came within a whisker of buying the 85 mile car. Decided not to, here is why:

1) was going to be quite the process to buy and ship the car...have done this before with no issues, but here the financials and logistics on the seller end were signficant...not enough by itself to deter me, but a factor

2) although basically a new RS6 (probably lowest mileage in the world), there is an "unkown" factor about mechanicals, seals, etc. after sitting for 5 yrs. yes the car has been serviced recently, but I am convinced that the engineers at Quattro GmBh didnt design the engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. to not be driven for 5yrs. The warranty helped defray some concern, but who wants to find out later that there are major impacts of the car sitting like this

3) The final price, while much lower than the original $65k asking, was still in the mid $50s and a lot of coin for a 6 yr used car, even a special one like this. For reference, several brand new sports sedans - C63AMG / RS4 /M3, etc. could all be had for less than $10k more. Yes the RS6 is a much more special/rare car, but mid $50s is significant

So, thanks for all the emotional/rational support along the way...I am going to continue to be patient and also look into this crash ratings thing closer.

---------------------OR------------------------

maybe I will just buy it :deal:

say hello to the new owner of what I think is probably the lowest mileage RS6 in the U.S.... or maybe the world (?)

fastdaddy
September 10th, 2008, 22:50
So, after all that reasoning you demonstrated for not buying it, you bought it despite yourself?

Good for you!

Bigglezworth
September 10th, 2008, 23:21
---------------------OR------------------------

maybe I will just buy it :deal:

say hello to the new owner of what I think is probably the lowest mileage RS6 in the U.S.... or maybe the world (?)
Wake the kids and call the neighbors!! Giddy-up.:dance: You and I might actually have something sort of kind of in similarity. You own what is certainly the lower mileage in North America (yes don't forget they were release in Canada too...) and I might actually own the highest mileage. :thumb: I know it's a bit of a stretch calling them similar - but they are both about mileage at least. lol

Regardless I know I'm enjoying mine and I know you will enjoy yours.

Tim

jbtexas
September 10th, 2008, 23:51
So, after all that reasoning you demonstrated for not buying it, you bought it despite yourself?

Good for you!

um...yeah...pretty much :hihi:

I am finicky like that when it comes to cars!

Really, there was some truth in my statements, but I thought about this a lot last night...couldnt go to sleep. There is something about that new car smell and knowing that no one else has touched the car. The idea of getting that in an RS6 sort of trumps my other concerns. I was also able to get pretty close to $50k on price when all was said and done. And the more I called around, most of the 15-35k mileage cars were in the $40s anyway. Last, an independent inspection was ordered by another interested party that couldnt get funded for the car. The seller shared the results with me - stellar. 70k/7 yr warranty.

An S6 would have been my second choice. The RS4 is just too small in the back. The S6 didnt do it for me, after trying to love it many times. Wish I could take the interior from that car and put it in the RS6 though!

Anyway, I will post some pictures and info when I get the car. Thanks again

Spidercat
September 11th, 2008, 00:08
Congratulations on getting the car you wanted (and for much less than the asking price)!
The one down side: to get through the engine break-in period without opening it up! That is the true test of self-control that luckily I never had to deal with. :burnout:

GNXJerry
September 11th, 2008, 22:41
With a market of numerous RS6s out there, I would think the best buy is one

of the cars in the 30 - 40's range. Plenty of fairly low mileage beasts that are just

as good as the higher priced ones. You can pick up an extended warranty from

a couple of sources for a few grand, and in the end save enough $$ to make it

all worthwhile.

Does anyone else agree on the reasoning for picking a slightly used, but still very

reliable RS6, compared to the overpriced ones that are way over market value?

fastdaddy
September 11th, 2008, 23:18
I agree, but my reasoning is heavily influenced by my budget! My wife sees no need for a 450 - 500 HP family sedan. She's seriously impared, but I'm working on her.

jbtexas
September 11th, 2008, 23:21
With a market of numerous RS6s out there, I would think the best buy is one

of the cars in the 30 - 40's range. Plenty of fairly low mileage beasts that are just

as good as the higher priced ones. You can pick up an extended warranty from

a couple of sources for a few grand, and in the end save enough $$ to make it

all worthwhile.

Does anyone else agree on the reasoning for picking a slightly used, but still very

reliable RS6, compared to the overpriced ones that are way over market value?

I do. In the end, I had narrowed down my choices to two categories...

1) 20-40k miles, priced in the $35-45k ish range. Well maintained, extended warranty, no doubt that this is a sweet spot value.

2) The "I must have something very special, want it to feel almost new" category. Less than 20k miles. $45k-55k.

I decided to go with 2) because I am stepping down from Porsches to be a more "practical" family man, and felt that I have earned this indulgence...even if it means that I am off by a few thousand with market to get exactly what I want. I tried very hard to like an S6, RS4, C63AMG, etc. but nothing felt quite like the RS6, so I decided to go for it.

One comment that you made I disagree with though...that is, your comment about "over market". The market is what someone will pay. When I bought the 85 mile car, I believe that there were many people swarming around the car making close offers. I know for a fact that Park Place Ltd. was trying to buy it, and spoke with others on this board that were seriously considering it. The market for the high-priced cars is smaller, and I am sure harder to sell, but it does exist. I plan to drive this car for many years, so all the resale stuff is kind of not on my mind anyway...

DHall1
September 11th, 2008, 23:28
Have your wife call me wife. She drives a 469hp/516ft/lbs torque E55 AMG. :)

I will be buying my own beast in just a few days. :addict:

I agree, but my reasoning is heavily influenced by my budget! My wife sees no need for a 450 - 500 HP family sedan. She's seriously impared, but I'm working on her.

DHall1
September 11th, 2008, 23:33
JBT,

Agreed to all points 100%

If we didnt own 6 cars already and 3 houses and throw in a diesel pusher RV oh and the Haulmark enclosed hauler. I would have purchased the 85 mile car. Without hesitation.

That said, I will be going to route #1 below and trading one of my cars for a very nice low mileage car in the color and interior of my first choice.

It was nice talking to you this week and we can trade stories on the boards for years to come. The bad boy Avus/Black guys! :addict:

I do. In the end, I had narrowed down my choices to two categories...

1) 20-40k miles, priced in the $35-45k ish range. Well maintained, extended warranty, no doubt that this is a sweet spot value.

2) The "I must have something very special, want it to feel almost new" category. Less than 20k miles. $45k-55k.

I decided to go with 2) because I am stepping down from Porsches to be a more "practical" family man, and felt that I have earned this indulgence...even if it means that I am off by a few thousand with market to get exactly what I want. I tried very hard to like an S6, RS4, C63AMG, etc. but nothing felt quite like the RS6, so I decided to go for it.

One comment that you made I disagree with though...that is, your comment about "over market". The market is what someone will pay. When I bought the 85 mile car, I believe that there were many people swarming around the car making close offers. I know for a fact that Park Place Ltd. was trying to buy it, and spoke with others on this board that were seriously considering it. The market for the high-priced cars is smaller, and I am sure harder to sell, but it does exist. I plan to drive this car for many years, so all the resale stuff is kind of not on my mind anyway...

jbtexas
September 11th, 2008, 23:51
here are some pictures... my next steps:

1) find a transport that runs from Portland to Dallas... have tried all my usual sources - Intercity, Demoise, Horseless Carriage, etc... no luck. I dont want to use Fedex Passport, but it might be my only choice. $2,000

2) need to put new tires on the car. PS2 seems the way to go. 255/40/18 all the way around, right?

3) need to source carbon fiber to replace wood for interior, and ultimately the RNSE nav/bluetooth/sat radio setup

4) painfully careful and slow break-in process

MikeL01
September 12th, 2008, 00:09
The best RS6 accessory is.....an extended warranty. When parts wear or break, the cost is steep.

fastdaddy
September 12th, 2008, 00:18
JBT, The car looks showroom and it's in a showroom. What more is there to say. I'm jealous in a big way!

So what's the story behind this freak of nature, 85 mile car. Who the hell buys a driver's car like this and doesn't drive it. I mean, did the original owner drive it home from the dealer and lock in the garage and forget about it? And to what end?

jbtexas
September 12th, 2008, 00:35
The best RS6 accessory is.....an extended warranty. When parts wear or break, the cost is steep.

it has a 7 yr/70k mile extended Audi/Fidelity platinum through 2014

jbtexas
September 12th, 2008, 01:24
JBT, The car looks showroom and it's in a showroom. What more is there to say. I'm jealous in a big way!

So what's the story behind this freak of nature, 85 mile car. Who the hell buys a driver's car like this and doesn't drive it. I mean, did the original owner drive it home from the dealer and lock in the garage and forget about it? And to what end?

The seller is a bit "odd", lets just leave it there. He bought the car new and put it in storage. He has several, including a few RS4s, R8, etc. He sent the car on flat bed to the dealer for oil changes, servicing, etc. I spoke to the service mgr at the dealer where the car was serviced extensively before deciding to buy it. This service manager has been with out for 20 yrs. He swears that the car needs new tires, and an oil change at 1200 miles after a very careful break-in period. Other than that, he swears that the car is sound....and has been inspectively very carefully during the recent 35k service. There you have it. We'll see. I expect some surprises, but it is under warranty, which should help.

fastdaddy
September 12th, 2008, 02:40
I think this bizarre guy should just give someone (I'll volunteer) 30K + what ever he spent on flatbed transport, service, etc. and skip the buying the car and all the hassle! Does he buy these new cars and store them in speculation that they will increase in value?

85 miles in 5 or 6 years equates to a whopping 17 or 14.1 miles a year. Sure looks like he had loads of fun there!

I think he was originally asking 65K to recoup some of his storage costs. ;)