PDA

View Full Version : Speedo red needle burned out

NickRS6plus
September 2nd, 2008, 20:37
Back in April, on the way home from Audi Hamburg (whom I bought the car from) I noticed that the :revs: light, illuminating the red speedo needle, had died.

Frustrating cause we had gone over the car like maggots before handing over the cash. Missed that one little item. Other than that the car was in mint condition.

As we weren't that far into our 7 hour or so drive to Brussels, I called the dealer and asked him about it.
He said: "nothing to worry about, it's peanuts no need to come back !" :vhmmm:

Back in Brussels, after quotes from 3 official dealers, each confirmed the worst. The whole dashboard (or rather "instrument cluster") needs replacing ! can you believe it ? for just a LED or lightbulb ???

cost all-in ? 799 euro ! :doh:

Plenty of money for a little lit needle. But fairly critical at night, when at speed, which in the RS6+ is just about E V E R Y N I G H T ! :revs:

Unfortunately, seeing I was buying the car accross borders, and it was unrealistic to head over there for every little issue, the dealer discounted the bookvalue of the warranty. (was far less than 799 euro!)
For the moment, I just can't get myself to forking out 800 euro for that lit needle. I guess I could always take it up with head office... write them a letter...less than 4 yr old car 28K kms on the clock. Shouldn't happen, and if it does, should be fixed cheaply.

So my question is, have any other RS6 owners out there encountered this issue ?

Thanks
nick

cornishmoocher
September 2nd, 2008, 20:52
Hey! Your car speaks french!:jlol:

Weird one that, not heard of that before!:vhmmm:

HeadShot
September 2nd, 2008, 23:19
Thats a tough tale there Nick. The small bits always seem to cause the most grief. I have one suggestion.. and only afew would like it..
I'm putting a boost guage in my ride at some point and a switch panel for other bits and pieces that could get me locked up hee,hee. Have you considered putting another Speedo in as an extra. I know when the boys do there speed runs and 0-60 shots they use way more accurate readouts. Something to consider - in the right spot it would look just fine and be useful!!! if your into that. Way cheeper to. Does Audi Navi give a speed readout anyone??

Just a thought.
H.S

I saw some LED type trim for instrument clusters in an auto store the other day... humm, maybe that would work??? Check your local auto store for such things - that may be a good place to start.

r1nga
September 3rd, 2008, 13:45
Does Audi Navi give a speed readout anyone??

Just a thought.
H.S

If you have an RNS-E headunit (the DVD Nav not the CD based RNS-D), then you can get the speed via Engineering Mode. Press NAV to get into the Navigation section, then Memory (Top Left) for 5 seconds - Route (Top Right) for 5 seconds and voila, Engineering Mode. Can't remember the exact screen it's on, but sniff around and you'll find it. RETURN key as usual to get out.

You'll find all sorts of useful information in there, including Altitude, which you can't get on the map display at all (this is enabled under the MMI version, but the GPS of course always knows how high you are).

Dare say there's an Engineering Mode for RNS-D, it's just that I don't know what that is!

Hope this helps,

Phil G
UK

ben916
September 3rd, 2008, 16:54
The bright side.... er well, kinda, is that if you do get pulled over at night, there is your free pass as "Officer, I was unable to govern my speed as I couldn't see how fast I was going as my speed needle light is burned out..."

Bigglezworth
September 4th, 2008, 04:06
Who drives with a speedo anyways? The three most important gauges are the Tach, Oil pressure, and boost gauge. :)

HeadShot
September 4th, 2008, 04:42
If your wife gets anywhere near it the GAS gauge is by far the most important!!! Is it me or do all women love to go all the way to empty all the time.??? :brag:

liwi
September 4th, 2008, 09:51
If your wife gets anywhere near it the GAS gauge is by far the most important!!! Is it me or do all women love to go all the way to empty all the time.??? :brag:

I can confirm that all women are not like that!:applause:
:rs6kiss:

Trebor
September 4th, 2008, 10:47
I can confirm that all women are not like that!:applause:
:rs6kiss:

Very happy to see an exception liwi :jlol:

ben916
September 4th, 2008, 16:43
Who drives with a speedo anyways? The three most important gauges are the Tach, Oil pressure, and boost gauge. :)

If you know your vehicle, whatever type it may be, the tach is all you need.