PDA

View Full Version : The FUN really begins at 1k miles!!!

rsjoe
July 23rd, 2003, 21:39
I put 1k miles on the car this past week in relatively short jaunts and thought it was fun even though I didn't use sport mode and no wot. Well friends, let me tell you the fun really starts after break in! The sports mode coupled with wot is a blast! I owned an M5 for two years and the RS6 has been more entertaining in one week than the two years I owned the M5. It is a unique automobile in this category. It is a four door sports car with handling that may inspire too much confidence. My higher speed testing has been limited due to traffic and enforcement so far, but I will report back on that. I do know it will pull hard to a speed that would make most people happy. My longest stretch behind the wheel was 1.5 hours and I'm not sure of the long haul aspects. I was more tired than normal, but this might be due to the constant adrenaline rush and enforcement vigilence. It may also be due to the seats which I'm not crazy about, but certainly acceptable. IMO the suspension is definitely not too stiff. It is relatively stiff, but it is not punishing because of the way it dampens out those bumps. If you want a refined ride and a whole lot less fun than look toward the E55 otherwise join this exclusive club.

eph94
July 23rd, 2003, 22:19
How would compare the "stiffness" of the RS6 suspension to your previous M5? I'm just curious how it will handle over these crappy New England roads where I've had tooth fillings practically rattled out in my 540 with 17" wheels. I suspect in the RS6 with 18" wheels I better hold on to my hat over some parts of my commute north of Boston.

I got a kick out how you mentioned "enforcement" limiting your high speed testing. The Boys in Blue sure know how to damper the enthusiasm of those driving super-sedans. However, on that same line, I am reminded of Spider Man's motto: "With great power comes great responsibility." I can't wait to join the club!!

JJV

Rally
July 23rd, 2003, 23:34
Cool, I'm happy to read you're enjoying the car.
We should have a few more of these stories when a few others get the magic 1000 miles on their odometer.

Benman
July 24th, 2003, 02:17
with great power DOES come great responsibility. :cheers:

Joe, i'd be REAL surprised if you haven't hit 150 yet. if not, than you have AWESOME self control:bow: :bow:

your comment about being a little more tired because of the constant adrenaline rush is spot on. the car is like a street legal rollercoaster. :cheers:

Ben:addict: (one more month before i get my own rollercoaster!)

rsjoe
July 24th, 2003, 13:47
it's not punishing. If you've ever driven an M3 you'd know what I mean by stiff and punishing. This suspension is right on. You'll be aware of bumps, potholes, etc (i.e. road feel) but the suspension will absorb them nicely. It's this road feel that adds to the driving experience.

nene
July 24th, 2003, 14:55
That is great news Joe. Glad to see that someone is already pushing the beast to a curtailed limit.

I only have about 350 miles on mine, and all of it in Boston roads. I try to avoid it as much as I can, but they still get you. The car has been outstanding. At first I thought it was a bit stiff, but that's just because I expected a diff kind of ride. Now that I'm used to it, I could do a long trip no problem.

Erik
July 26th, 2003, 15:06
This quote will be something to remember:

"I owned an M5 for two years and the RS6 has been more entertaining in one week..."

:addict: