PDA

View Full Version : What to do when seen in your R8

KfabR8
September 1st, 2008, 18:08
I started this thread on Audizine and figured that it would work here too. What the heck, I know that many of us wander around multiple forums, some not so much, so why not share something that's a bit of fun here for those that don't get to the other sites too. (I've cheated and just cut/pasted from the other post - alas, it's a lazy day!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

These thoughts come from a post that was on the board today about someone sighting an R8 while out and about.
-------------------------------------------

Now that I've been in the car for three months, I've finally become used to the attention it draws. At first it was quite odd and at times seemed a bit invasive, but now? Ah, no biggie. Seems to just be part of the fun of R8 ownership.

My girlfriend's had to get used to it (it's been pretty funny at times), my youngest daughter (13 yrs old) absolutely loves it (fashion conscious, social butterfly - I'm screwed) and is constantly pointing out "watchers" as we sit in traffic and such with a grin plastered across her face.

In general there are four types of "Attention Happenings":

1) The Gas Station Accosting
B) The Parking Lot Inquisition
III) Curb Side Questioning
d) The Drive By Cell Phone Attack

The first two are usually a 20 questions session when I'm out of the car.

The third one happens when driving someplace like downtown while the windows are down or at a traffic light.

The last one is generally done after I've passed someone on the highway. Suddenly the car you just went by is closing back in and they're holding the cell phone up attempting to snap pix as they try to keep up.

I will always answer everyone's questions - why not? I hated people that were dicks about their (exotic) cars when I was younger, so I've made it a point to be a gracious about the compliments and complacent in responses to the Q&A sessions. Many are amazed when I offer to open the car up and let people take pix and such.

That said, I've discovered something that's fun to do to the Drive By Cell Phone Attacker: Pull your cell phone out as they come up on you and point it back at them as if you're taking their pic. It's hysterical the reactions you'll get doing this maneuver. Give it a try.

I was impressed with the kid in the Honda this past Friday evening - followed me for at least five miles, though traffic while video taping. I wonder what he thought when he looked at his tape and realized just how much Forrest Gump waving he recorded? http://www.audizine.com/forum/images/smilies/driving.gif

--------------------

So, to fellow R8 owners, I ask this: How do you handle the attention your car brings? Have you figured out any way to have fun with it? You should.

And, to anyone that has an R8 and is a dick to people (get away from my car, you might, God forbid, breath on it or absorb some of the light reflected from it); Please get a life. It's too short to be ugly to others just because you happen to have a very expensive toy. http://www.audizine.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

wedouglas
September 1st, 2008, 18:49
I will answer peoples questions and quick chit chat if I'm not in hurry, but I do get annoyed at times. I hate when people ask how much it cost and talk to me when I'm at a stop light.

KfabR8
September 1st, 2008, 19:21
Ah, the dreaded cost question - I hear ya.

I always just tell them "Too much and worth every Fn' penny!"

RXBG
September 2nd, 2008, 02:11
only questions i can't stand are:

"how much was it?" answer: mrsp is about 125K
"how do you like it?" answer: i hate it. can't wait to trade this piece of crap in
"how fast have you gone in it?" answer: 65 mph

my usual parting statement as they look on at me pulling away. "say no to drugs."

i laugh at the dumba$$es who are pretending not to look or try to hide behind their tinted windows, i.e. bmw and porsche drivers (be humble and show interest, i know you like it and my head isn't going to get bigger just because you show interest, although acknowledging that audi's are better is a plus in my book :D ). i never let these people catch up to look at the front and CF blade (which are the most commonly sought after views of my car). and, finally, if i have some schmuck cramping my style by installing himself in my blindspot so he can get a 5 mile look at my car i put it down one gear and floor it or i brake and pull in behind him.

otherwise, cruising in my car is a hoot.