PDA

View Full Version : Questions about new Pirelli tires

KK265
August 30th, 2008, 22:41
Is there any experience on this tire from anyone in this forum?
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Pirelli&tiremodel=P%2DZero
In this site http://www.pirellipzero.com/
I cannot find 255/35/19 size .In previous site yes.What happens?What means Mercedes MOI?Is this proper for RS4?Where can I find the treadwear value for this tire?Any test results are welcome.Thank you in advance.

MrBucket
August 31st, 2008, 21:21
I think it just means that those are OEM for a particular Mercedes. As long as the load rating is high enough for your car they will work just fine.

PetrolDave
September 1st, 2008, 11:02
My RS4 came from the factory with Pirelli PZero Rosso 255/35 19 XL tyres.

They only lasted 9,000 miles so I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in the same size and rating (the RS4 needs XL - eXtra Load - tyres), which were about 30% more expensive but did last 13,000 miles.

Currently I'm running Goodyear F1 Assymetric 275/30 19 XL tyres, which seem to be wearing well.

I doubt I'll ever go back to the PZero Rossos - 9,000 miles life is a joke.

KK265
September 1st, 2008, 12:58

They only lasted 9,000 miles so I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in the same size and rating (the RS4 needs XL - eXtra Load - tyres), which were about 30% more expensive but did last 13,000 miles.

Currently I'm running Goodyear F1 Assymetric 275/30 19 XL tyres, which seem to be wearing well.

Are you satisfied from the Michelin grip?How compares to Pirelli on wet road?What pressure do you use?

PetrolDave
September 2nd, 2008, 11:49
Are you satisfied from the Michelin grip?How compares to Pirelli on wet road?What pressure do you use?
I thought the Michelins were better than the Pirellis for grip, handling and road noise.

I used the pressures on the label by the drivers door (38, 36 IIRC - I don't really try to remember, I just read the label - that's what it's there for).

Now I've got the Goodyears I wouldn't change back to either the Michelins or the Pirellis - they took longer to bed-in but the handling gives more confidence and they are definitely the quietest of the three makes.

Leadfoot
September 3rd, 2008, 13:36
My S5 is currently running Dunlops but when they are done I too will be changing to Goodyears, they are the best of the lot in the rain and do seem to last longer. An important thing when they cost as much as they do.

Skaala
September 4th, 2008, 17:10

I've run both the A8 and RS2 on Goodyear Eagle #F1 GSD3. I need to vhange soon and Goodyear is only offering the new assymetric ones now..

Have you tried the old #F1's? These were some of the best tires I've ever driven on, come rain or dry conditions. They performed excellent on the Nrdschleife as well.

the assymetric ones are said to be even better....any impressions so far?

PetrolDave
September 5th, 2008, 10:45
I've never tried the GSD3, they had been discontinued before i needed to change my tyres.

The Assymetrics took longer to bed-in than either the PZeros or the PS2s, but once they did I've been very impressed with them. The turn-in isn't as sharp as the PS2s but I think that's a good thing because the car isn't as nervous. Dry performance is at least as good as the PZeros, but with lower road noise than either the PZeros or the PS2s. The difference between wet & dry performance is small, with wet performance very close to dry performance.

I think I'll buy the Assymetrics again next time.

Bimmerod
September 11th, 2008, 08:35
I have run Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on my VW in the past and have been very happy with them.
After that I decided to switch over to the Toyo Proxies T1R which have an almost identicle tread pattern as the D3's. I am very pleased with the performance and the wear which seem to outlast the Goodyear's.

My RS4 still has the PS2's on it, but when they are done, I will probably be getting the Toyo T1R's. They are also quite a bit cheaper than the Goodyear's as well.

Late,

Bimmerod
:rs4addict

MR USER
September 11th, 2008, 13:02
I just fit the new Pzero on mine, the work fine, I had Michelines and the previous pirellis' and on both wet and dry tarmac I like the pirelli more. Not for the grip or else, just because they have a harder shoulder and fit my driving style better.

Leadfoot
September 11th, 2008, 21:44
I have run Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on my VW in the past and have been very happy with them.
After that I decided to switch over to the Toyo Proxies T1R which have an almost identicle tread pattern as the D3's. I am very pleased with the performance and the wear which seem to outlast the Goodyear's.

My RS4 still has the PS2's on it, but when they are done, I will probably be getting the Toyo T1R's. They are also quite a bit cheaper than the Goodyear's as well.

Late,

Bimmerod
:rs4addict

Toyo, I've never tried them before but they sound to be great value.

KK265
September 12th, 2008, 07:23
I just fit the new Pzero on mine

255/35/19 ?