PDA

View Full Version : Audi R8 GT3 Racer 500 hp.

roadrunner
August 27th, 2008, 11:29
Audi is bringing a GT3 race version of the R8 in 2009 :bow: :incar:

500 HP
Rear wheel drive
new 6 gear sequential gearbox
1st deliveries in autumn 2009

Source
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/sport/mehr_motorsport/hxcms_article_515015_13987.hbs

http://www.endurance-info.com/2008_FIA-GT3/00_Presentation_AudiR8_01.jpg
http://www.endurance-info.com/2008_FIA-GT3/00_Presentation_AudiR8_02.jpg
http://www.endurance-info.com/2008_FIA-GT3/00_Presentation_AudiR8_03.jpg

Michaël Barbé
August 27th, 2008, 11:55
Audi is bringing a GT3 race version of the R8 in 2009 :bow: :incar:

500 HP
Rear wheel drive
new 6 gear sequential gearbox
1st deliveries in autumn 2009

It's a sick car, I'll give you that. But I don't like the spoiler (it spoils it so it's a spoiler) and rear wheel drive for the R8:nono:? You're sure about that?

Afterall it's a raceversion.

MB
:rs6kiss:

Mockenrue
August 27th, 2008, 12:38
I don't think quattro is permitted any more in most forms of motorsport, so if this is indeed for real then I expect it will be RWD like the DTM A4s and the Lamborghinis used in endurance racing.

Michaël Barbé
August 27th, 2008, 12:43
I don't think quattro is permitted any more in most forms of motorsport, so if this is indeed for real then I expect it will be RWD like the DTM A4s and the Lamborghinis used in endurance racing.

They don't allow quattro because of the past. Never seen this video of the 80's where they disallow quattro because it's an unfair advantage. The video is called: An unfair advantage I think:)

I did not know that the A4 DTM's were RWD. I'm not a huge motorsport fan but I think it's a shame. Audi invents something and because they would never be beaten the have to race with something the don't have any experience with: RWD...

Or am I completely off couse?

Here is an article of the R8 GT3 on the Top Gear site:
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/3171/

MB
:rs6kiss:

roadrunner
August 27th, 2008, 12:44
It is the real deal (numerous sources + the pics) and as Mockenrue mentioned - after the dominance of quattro in the Touring car championships with the 1st A4 quattro (90' winning numerous titles all over the world in one year) - all wheel drive was forbidden in most (all?) of the round track series

The RS6
August 27th, 2008, 12:46
Somehow I doubt Porsche will allow that name :D

roadrunner
August 27th, 2008, 12:48

screw the name :hihi:

Mockenrue
August 27th, 2008, 13:21
I did not know that the A4 DTM's were RWD. I'm not a huge motorsport fan but I think it's a shame. Audi invents something and because they would never be beaten the have to race with something the don't have any experience with: RWD...

Or am I completely off couse?

No, you are correct (as is roadrunner). I remember watching Frank Biela's dominance of the 1996 BTCC in the A4 quattro. It was immensely satisfying to watch, especially in the wet when the BMWs often went spinning off the circuit backwards. ;) The following year the organisers imposed severe weight penalties on the Audi but Biela still managed to finish runner up in the championship. Unless I'm mistaken, quattro hasn't been used in BTCC, WTCC or DTM since.

I suspect the 'GT3' denotes the name of the FIA class in which the car will be competing, rather than the model designation itself.

The Pretender
August 27th, 2008, 16:40
http://www.audiblog.nl/wp-content/r8-gtr-4.jpg

http://www.audiblog.nl/wp-content/r8-gt3-2.jpg

http://www.audiblog.nl/wp-content/r8-gt3-1.jpg

http://www.audiblog.nl/wp-content/r8-gt3-3.jpg

Jarod.

MR USER
August 27th, 2008, 16:43
I suspect the 'GT3' denotes the name of the FIA class in which the car will be competing, rather than the model designation itself.

You suspect correctly... That is exactly what it means! To be more specific the car is matching the restrictions of the FIA GT3 class.

Does anyone know how to contact AudiSport to buy the car or to race with them as client??? please PM!

JavierNuvolari
August 27th, 2008, 17:07
You just beat me to posting it. Amazing that Audi actually will make this car happen. I look forward to see it against the 430 and gt3.

saludos!

The Pretender
August 27th, 2008, 17:31
Audi Develops Race Version of the R8.
27 Augustus 2008.

http://www.audi.de/cms4imp_base/audi/images/logo_audi.gif
Ingolstadt – For the first time, Audi Sport will offer a racing sports car specifically developed for customer use in the form of the powerful 500 hp plus GT3 version of the Audi R8 which will be available from autumn 2009. The logistics and factory space required for the AUDI AG customer programme will be created over the next few months in Ingolstadt, Neckarsulm and Györ.

"The R8 is the first production Audi bearing the name and genes of a successful racing sportscar and is therefore an excellent base from which to build up our first big customer sport programme,” explains Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich. "Ever since the R8 was unveiled we’ve been inundated with enquiries about a race version. With the Audi R8 we will offer customers a racing sportscar equipped with high-calibre technology and the typical Audi qualities, but which is nevertheless easy to handle.”

The Audi R8 conforms to the production-based GT3 regulations allowing the car to be fielded in numerous national and international race series.

Because the GT3 regulations prohibit the use of four-wheel drive the Audi R8 comes with the typical GT rear-wheel drive. The power is transmitted via a newly developed six-speed sequential sports gearbox. The suspension uses almost exclusively components from the production line. A comprehensive list of safety equipment guarantees the highest-level of passive safety. A modified front end and a large rear-wing generate the required downforce for the race track.
The Audi R8, which bears the project name "R16” within Audi Sport, was developed under the direction of Audi Sport. Mid August, the first prototype successfully completed a roll-out in the hands of Audi factory driver Frank Biela.

The first test races in various European racing series are scheduled for the 2009 season. Delivery to the customers is planned from the autumn of this coming year.

The customer cars are manufactured together by Audi Sport and the quattro GmbH, which is also responsible for production of the Audi R8 street version, and Audi Hungaria Motor Kft. (Györ).

Source: Audi Sport.

Jarod.

Benman
August 27th, 2008, 18:41
This is too awesome, exactly what I want to see on the track!!!:bow: :thumb:

Ben:addict:

HKS786
August 27th, 2008, 18:47
Amazing. Notice the front/rear intakes and the bigger side-blade intakes? They are just like the R8 V10 ;)

RXBG
August 27th, 2008, 19:12
so obviously this shows that the RS4 engine is capable of 500 hp- i assume it is the same engine but revised. if so, it could very well point to the new RS4/5 engine as being a 480 hp version.

Erik
August 27th, 2008, 19:16
Threads merged.

HKS786
August 27th, 2008, 19:27
so obviously this shows that the RS4 engine is capable of 500 hp- i assume it is the same engine but revised. if so, it could very well point to the new RS4/5 engine as being a 480 hp version.

Very good point. Obviously reliability and warranty implications come into consideration but I would def think the engine could safely produce around the 470bhp mark.

wedouglas
August 27th, 2008, 19:27

Where did it say it was the 4.2?

Z07
August 27th, 2008, 19:59
There needs to be a road version.

QuattroFun
August 27th, 2008, 20:00
One of the official press releases says 4.2L NA V8.

But before we all get too excited about this could mean for the RS5 street car, it is for reference worth remembering that the Porsche 997 GT3 engine (415PS/3.8L) - hardly an underdeveloped engine for street use - is more or less based on the 997 GT3 RSR racer (485PS/3.8L) with a higher rev limit, completely different regulations and obviously lower durability. If Lambo LP-560 makes 560PS from 5.2L NA, the likely thing is that RS5 4.2 NA makes 450PS with same specific output - as indeed the circulated material suggests. Maybe 470PS is indeed for testing the RS5 and its durability rather than final spec.

Toto89
August 27th, 2008, 20:20
Great news, i really like when Audi surprises me with models i've never imagined.:bow:
Ohh, and it's likely that it will be made in Hungary, where i live. Such a great day :hihi:

QuattroFun
August 27th, 2008, 22:30
Ha, in all this excitement about this new R8 and its engine I managed to even confuse myself on the finer details!

1. It was Autocar which claimed that engine is modified 4.2 V8 NA - not Audi.

2. GT3 road car is of course still based on lower bore 3.6L, so its specific output is of course 115PS/L - but the specific output gap to the very strung RSR racer (128PS/L) is still huge, which was the point.

Even if this track GT3 R8 makes 120PS/L, it does not imply that much for the road car I think. In all, 470PS from 4.2 NA in a RS5 (113PS/L) would thus still be quite an achievement and embarras in-house Lambo as well as R8 road car on specific output. So will it happen then? Dunno.

Anways, back on topic, this R8 racer should surely be the fastest track car Audi makes and eclipse even with RWD the forthcoming R8 V10.

Audiphile
August 27th, 2008, 23:31
Amazing Grace! A rear-wheel drive Audi! :R8: The planets have aligned perfectly!:bow:

goodduck
August 28th, 2008, 00:39
LMAO at you guys flipping about RWD vs AWD. what do you think the R10's at le mans are AWD :lovl:

Erik
August 28th, 2008, 07:16
There needs to be a road version.

IT certainly looks like you could fit license plates on that car :hahahehe:

RXBG
August 28th, 2008, 14:26
silly that the press release makes no mention of the freaking engine. it does have the wider sideblades. i think it could very well be a V10. but i think it would make more than 500 hp if that were the case. then again, the wider sideblade could be needed on the higher rev 4.2 V8......