PDA

View Full Version : Turbo whine?

rsjoe
July 23rd, 2003, 01:23
Has anyone else noticed a pronounced turbo whine. Is this normal? It's a very high pitched sound like a bearing would make. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Finnus
July 23rd, 2003, 01:29
Joe,

I haven't noticed it. Does it happen when they'r ejust spooling up? I'll try to pay attention and see.

Finnus

jconley
July 23rd, 2003, 02:25
Originally posted by rsjoe
Has anyone else noticed a pronounced turbo whine. Is this normal? It's a very high pitched sound like a bearing would make. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have noticed pronounced turbo whine, which is normal with turbos- As long as you don't hear metal agains metail you are OK....it is SUCH a beautiful sound :)

iconcls
July 23rd, 2003, 02:35
Turbo whine AND a throaty exhaust are absolutely sublime.

Bauer
July 23rd, 2003, 02:45
Don't have my RS6 yet so couldn't tell ya but what I can say is that My 92 S4 which has MTM upgrades screams like a banshee. It's so loud that I get looks when it's on the boost. Absolutly love the sound.

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered

nene
July 23rd, 2003, 03:41
I hear the sound you are talking about. Usually you notice it more around the 2k-4K RPM range I believe.
Funny thing is that the S4 makes a slightly different turbo noise, but it's also a different engine.
The sound is definitely not metal though. Just a high pitch noise, and it's not loud at all. Noticeable, but not loud.

rsjoe
July 23rd, 2003, 13:30
The sound is most apparent in the 2k-4k rpm range. I didn't really pay any attention to it until the wife mentioned that it was irritating to her when she was doing in city type of driving (lower rpms). I believe females are more sensitive to higher frequency sounds which of course explains why we "never hear them" when they're talking to us. I've only heard this turbine whistle from aftermarket centrifical superchargers but never before from turbochargers including a modified twin turbo supra. I'm going to have it checked out at the dealership to make sure the oil supply and bearing are ok.

nene
July 23rd, 2003, 14:45
I was thinking of going to the dealership to have it checked out as well, since the sound was slightly different from the S4 turbo whine. Keep us posted on what the dealership gives you as solution/fix/excuse!

Klint
July 23rd, 2003, 15:12
Hi,

Before switching the engine off, you should leave the engine running on tick over for a few seconds without the turboes spooled up. This should help with the oil circulation to and from the turboes...it should also help with a couple other things that I can't remember off my head. Remember to do this with any turbo powered engine, or you may find yourself (with the higher performance ones) with a turbo that's ceased.

Hope it Helps.

:cheers:

rsjoe
July 23rd, 2003, 15:14
The tech listened to it and then we started up a newly arrived RS6 and it had the identical turbo whine inside the cabin. We noticed that with the hood open or the passenger door open you couldn't hear the whine. He's a RS6 tech and he confirmed that the turbos are mounted pretty close to the firewall. I believe a little better placement design could have eliminated most of this feedback into the cabin. Personally the sound never bothered me. It sort of sounds like a jet taking off or coming in for a landing.

RS6FEVR
July 23rd, 2003, 16:21
:cheers: rsjoe

It sort of sounds like a jet taking off or coming in for a landing.

Made my day! Can't wait to hear it. :D :D :D

Hey Klint, thanks for that info. This will be my first turbo car and I need info like that! :bang: :bang:

:addict: FEVR :addict:

iconcls
July 23rd, 2003, 16:31
Originally posted by RS6FEVR
This will be my first turbo car

Be prepared to become a Boost Junkie ;-)

nene
July 23rd, 2003, 19:14
Great work RSJOE!!!. I was not too alarmed by the sound either, but it's always good to know that all other identical cars have it.
Really good work.

RS6FEVR
July 23rd, 2003, 21:51
:) :) Thanks Icon!
I've driven in them before (sports car wise) but always appreciated the grunt of NA as a road course driver. That description of a jet taking off just really tickled me. Sounds like too many oooo's in cooool! What a sleeper this car is going to be. Only the enthusiasts will know how powerful it really is .;) ;)

:addict: FEVR :addict:

sprint Blue
July 24th, 2003, 05:57
I read somewhere (car magazine) that the whine is a result of the air conditioning system. Has anyone else heard this? It's normal.

iconcls
July 24th, 2003, 13:06
Originally posted by sprint Blue
I read somewhere (car magazine) that the whine is a result of the air conditioning system.

I think that is in reference to the infamous AC "Siren."

Finnus
July 24th, 2003, 16:39
Benman,

Maybe if those AW guys had some turbo whine, they wouldn't!

Finnus

Benman
July 25th, 2003, 02:31
Originally posted by Finnus
Benman,
Maybe if those AW guys had some turbo whine, they wouldn't!
Finnus
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: maybe, just maybe:cheers:

Ben:addict: