PDA

View Full Version : Groaning rear suspension, advice needed.

Family Car
August 25th, 2008, 13:55
Have recently returned from a trip to the country where the country roads have taken their toll on the RS suspension.

The car has developed a really annoying groan from the off side right rear suspension. It is noticeable at all speeds and if the car is rolled while stationary. Anybody have any ideas before I take it to the dealer and get raped?

Also, has anybody tried the Billsteins? Are they worth a look?

I find the standard suspension a real chore across country and would appreciate any recommendations.

DuckWingDuck
August 25th, 2008, 15:22
Sounds like DRC....

Family Car
August 25th, 2008, 15:36
That sounds expensive. It's only on the one side, I thought the DRC linked the two corners?

It's also only a noise at present, there is no ride issue and it's not bottoming out, or any noisier on heavier hits.

In any event, what's the cure?

DuckWingDuck
August 25th, 2008, 16:31
When my DRC failed, only the right front went, the left rear was still okay. I would say take the car in for inspection just to be on the safe side.

KfabR8
August 25th, 2008, 16:42
Yup, sounds like the Demon Riddled Catastrophy at work.

I tend to loose the right rear corner. This time it was the left front first and now the right rear's decided to join in on the bouncy fun. Still no leaking oil, though. (whew).

Family Car
August 25th, 2008, 17:35
Guess that would explain the shocking handling also.

Dear God it is a pig on anything other than ice smooth tarmac. Really, I only bought the car two months ago and while I was away I had absolutely resolved to get rid of it, but then I came back to smoother roads and was happy again.

I had the car fully checked over for DRC problems and was assured all was good, and to be fair, all felt good until I hit the back roads. Then tears.

I have never, ever, ever driven a car as poor as the RS on rutted, bumpy and even smooth but undulating roads. Just as well I live in Ireland then.

I simply could not do more than forty miles an hour for three weeks down the west.

I have driven the same roads in my previous Imprezas and current Evo for years and loved every minute of it. This time I couldn't bring myself to get behind the wheel, avoiding it at all costs.

Every time I went out I found myself constantly glaring fifty feet in front of the car to detect the slightest imperfection in order to avoid hitting anything bigger than a marble.

I had put this down to weight/bad roads/firm suspension and decided I'd bring the Evo next time, however, I then had two BIG moments that I couldn't live with.

The first was on a looping left hander that crested into a hollow. I was following a Transit on a spirited delivery run. I had my wife, two kids and the dog in the back, and was taking it handy. The Transit made the corner fine, I however, hit the crest followed by the hollow and jumped two feet to the right, across an unbroken white line, which prompted an unbroken stream of expletives from everybody, including the dog. Thankfully nothing was coming, but if you can't make a corner that a Transit doesn't feel there is something seriously wrong.

The second problem was overtaking a truck in a straight line. I hit a hollow I know well at no more than sixty and jumped two feet to the LEFT and nearly lost a mirror and my breakfast.

I have just read a few of the DRC threads where others have been in the same boat (literally) and it is f**king disgraceful that this problem hasn't been publicised and cured.

There are no symptoms other than the recent groaning to alert of a problem so the first you know about it is when the car does something it really, really shouldn't.

The groaning doesn't get worse over bumps and in fact is at its most audible at 2mph. The ride is fine except for heavier hits and country roads and I have yet to feel it bottom out. The first warning I have had has been in the handling. Not good.

So the choices:

1. Sell.

2. Replace DRC (no warranty).

3. Coilover.

Recommendations very welcome.

mmaturo
August 26th, 2008, 05:39
Replace the DRC with aftermarket coilover set-up ....can do nothing but help.

you are hearing the central valves though...as they loose pressure they make more noises and guess where they are...near the right rear. When my DRC went the first time it was the right rear that went first and was a constant rattle or thunking noise from that corner...then the ride got really wavey or floaty...the car rocked on take off and stops and was downright scary around highway curves (JUST as you describe...car jumps out) with expansion joints as it just did not feel planted. So they need to really check your DRC...it has indeed failed as you have all the symptoms

Besides checking the DRC also have your entire front suspension checked (ALL the bushings). I am on my third set of upper and lower control arms at 65K miles...as the bushings wear out the ride gets nearly unbearable as you describe. Now that all is new again car feels firm, solid, and planted with better muting over bumps..no extra shudders other than the initial hit)...however the car is still VERY stiff so don't know if you have 19 x 9.5s 5 spoke wheels or 9 spoke 18s on it but the ride is improved by going to 18s and the corresponding higher sidewall on the tire. My ride is much smoother with my 18" winter set up than my summer 19" wheel set-up.

Family Car
August 26th, 2008, 11:09
Thanks for that, I'm on the 19's and I had expected the ride to be firm as a result of the lower profile, I don't mind that particularly, my Evo is firm and my wife's 911 isn't exactly soft either so I'm used to a bit of abuse.

I have all the symptoms, the pedal rattle is constant and the undercarriage judder has started now as well so there is no question but it's DRC.

I think I'll take your advice, coil over, check all the bits and bobs and see how she runs after that. I had figured I'd be replacing the suspension in any event when I bought the car, thought I'd get more than two months out of it though. Them's the breaks.

What I was not expecting was for the car to turn into a death mobile without any warning. Really, really disappointed in Audi for that, it really should be a recall issue or at the very least a solution, other than aftermarket, should be available. It really is dangerous.

mmaturo
August 26th, 2008, 15:49
We here in the states have filed complaints with the national highway traffic safety board that reviews things like this and they have investigated it (as i was one of the people contacted earlier this year) but so far nothing has come up from it. I still have 9 months left on a new part warranty on my DRC shocks so i hope they either last or give up on life soon so I get another 'free' set. It is not a nice thing to realize that in the future no matter what I need to pay $2500-$3000 to either fix the DRC or pay for an after-market coilover set-up.

Good luck with it, when everything is working the car is a constant pleasure to drive.

aussie rs6
August 27th, 2008, 18:24
I believe my beast has unfortunately just joined that exclusive club at 50,100kms!

I hear a clunk coming from the rear right hand side when coming to a halt, and going slowly over occasional bump.

a few thousand kms ago, i could not depress the rear righthand trunk/fender mudguard with both hands- solid like rock.

now can bounce car a little on right hand side with one hand!!!:doh: :vgrumpy: .

I suspect kw3 set up coming up for me.

any tips on kw3 settings for spirited driving around town, but not track settings?

all advice appreciated.

john

Hy Octane
August 27th, 2008, 18:57
If it bounces its broken,.. if it is firm as a rock its working.

mmaturo
August 27th, 2008, 19:24
yep, you're done.