PDA

View Full Version : Some Electronic Upgrade Questions - 03 RS6

KfabR8
August 22nd, 2008, 02:15
First off, I have searched - spent the last hour on this, Audi Forums and Audizine looking for the info, but alas, I've come up empty (probably because I'm a search retard) :doh:

A) How hard is it to upgrade the regular light controls so that I have an automatic setting? I'm assuming it's a switch, probably a wire harness and a light sensor of some sort?

Does anyone have any experience w/this?

2) How about the three blink turn signals? It's one thing that the R8 and that pain in the ass Cayenne Turbo:w: I had that I really would like to adapt to the RS6.

Is it something that's adaptable from a newer model to the 03 RS6?

III) Does anyone know where I can come across a full electrical diagram of the car? - Hell, I'll take a full service manual setup if it's available.:mech:

As always, thanks in advance for any help.

DuckWingDuck
August 22nd, 2008, 03:36
Well, unfortunately, the only bit that I can be of help is on the third question. While there is no dedicated service manual available, a lot of people look towards the Bentley service manual as a bible, and that's available here: http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BCD

mmaturo
August 22nd, 2008, 04:27
If somebody does figure out the blinker thing please please post...that i would love to have too.

KfabR8
August 22nd, 2008, 14:06
I need to go to Audi and play 20 questions w/a couple of techs and the parts mangler - they've treated me exceptionally well and thus far have been great in answering questions and helping me out.

Anything that I do will be fully documented and put on my web site.

When I get around to doing the RSN-E install, suspension mods, exhaust and chip mods and anything else, I'll do a step by step so anyone else that decides to give the work a try will have another source for help.

Here's an example of the way I go about doing a tech article: R8 Carbon Fiber Upgrade (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi.htm)

Hey Duck - thanks for the link. I was able to find an Audi specific disc! (http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BAC55&Category_Code=Audi)

skiwi
August 22nd, 2008, 21:08
If somebody does figure out the blinker thing please please post...that i would love to have too.

i'm working on that in my spare time now. i want to have a piece of electronics that will install inside the blinker module. i'm at the "breadboard" stage currently. if it works out correctly, i might pass it to my brother who runs an electronics business to get it to a commercial stage.

there is a german company selling a unit which requires grafting to the blinker wiring harness. search on "komfortblinker" and google is your friend.

KfabR8
September 15th, 2008, 21:50
Bump on this thread.

Can anyone tell me what year Audi started putting the three blink bump into the system?

I want to look into the wire diagrams between the 03 and the first year that it was part of the system and see if there's some way to adapt the newer stuff to the older car.

Same for the automatic headlights - what year did this option become available?

Thanks

Boosted-Bora
September 15th, 2008, 22:13
Bump on this thread.

Can anyone tell me what year Audi started putting the three blink bump into the system?

I want to look into the wire diagrams between the 03 and the first year that it was part of the system and see if there's some way to adapt the newer stuff to the older car.

Same for the automatic headlights - what year did this option become available?

Thanks

stop being lazy old man and turn the switch yourself.....:cool2:

JK

KfabR8
September 16th, 2008, 00:10
But I don't wanna!

My :R8kiss:'s spoiled me! :wo:

DuckWingDuck
September 16th, 2008, 00:26
What are blinkers????:vhmmm::vhmmm::confused::confused:

:rotflmao:

Boosted-Bora
September 16th, 2008, 02:36
But I don't wanna!

My :R8kiss:'s spoiled me! :wo:

I hear ya....LOL

skiwi
September 16th, 2008, 08:28
working on it!

it was never offered for the c5, and so you need to adapt the existing circuit. which is on a circuit board inside the emergency flasher unit. i've developed a circuit which works, (additional to the standard circuit) but have to go through final testing in my car. provided that is ok, then i need to get the final design (not breadboard) just a bit busy on other things at present.

there appears to be a retro-fit for the passat (search etka for komfort iirc), but @$180 i'd rather have a winter project...

KfabR8
September 16th, 2008, 12:29
I saw in an earlier post that you were working on it. :bow: Thanks for the second response.

I'm happy to sit back and wait until you get it going and then either copy what you've done (best form of flattery, right? :cheers:) or get one from you if you're willing to sell one.

Please keep me posted on this. :bye:

Side note to this: I contacted someone out of Germany that sells the Komfortblinker but who knows if I'll get a response. Everything on the site was in German, so them getting an e-mail from the US in English may not be something that they want to deal with. I had to use a translator just to figure out what was going on. - probably should have used the translator to send the message, now that I think about it. :doh:

xpl0sive
June 3rd, 2009, 22:14
did this ever end up being developed? i'd love to have one of these for my car... the komfort blinker that is

p3u
June 3rd, 2009, 22:23
Someone did this on Audi or Quattro world.

There is a module you buy from Audi that is around $30-$40 and its pretty much plug and play.

Didn't want to see anyone hurt themselves on this thread with bread boards lol.

mmaturo
June 3rd, 2009, 22:24
did this ever end up being developed? i'd love to have one of these for my car... the komfort blinker that is

Why yes...all you need to know is here. Parts exist already and one installed and working...write up on it here...http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=22496272

Doing my install i hope next weekend actually as i have the relay just haven't had time to pick up the relay harness yet.

xpl0sive
June 3rd, 2009, 22:36
awesome thanks guys

mmaturo
June 3rd, 2009, 22:39
PS...I got my blinker relay (same part number that is in the install link) for around $50 through Europrice.us FYI.

KfabR8
July 22nd, 2009, 20:52
I know this is an older thread, but I never let the ideas die. I still need to install the RNS-E system, as it's original installation attempt ended up being a major fiasco. (more on that later....)

Anyhow, I just did the install of my Komfortblinker. It's quite simple and pretty easy.

I now have a three blink signal for left and right at the touch of the stalk. Works like it's a factory setup.

I followed the link above (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=22496272) and then modified it a tad to make the install a little bit easier.

Head down to your local VW dealer and order part number 000-998-229-A "Retrokit". Retail price is US$56.59. Audi parts can access the number, but only VW can order it (at least that was my discovery).

It comes with the Komfortblinker module, a wire harness (with two plugs and a pigtail with open female spade leads) and some (useless) instructions.

The instructions in the link above work well, but I modified them a touch, so I didn't have to find power and ground at a different location in the car. All you need is right there at the plug that you pull loose after you remove the top cover of the steering column.

I cut the harness for the blinker module plug off about 5" away from the (large) plug that has the two sets of wires coming out of it. This left me with about 8" of wire coming out of the Komfortblinker module's plug.

I stripped about 5mm off the ends and then soldered and electrical taped the connections directly to the wires coming out of the large plug in the steering column. (For the record, I hate electrical tape, but I wasn't able to get the pins out of the large plug to allow me to use heat shrink. Need a different pin removal tool. Damn.)

I used a hobby knife to remove a small piece of insulation (about 5mm) off of each of the wires, being very careful not to cut any of the strands of copper wire in as I removed the insulation.

The instructions in the link above for wiring are as follows:
Relay tab # 2 = left blinker signal(black/white wire pin 3)
Relay tab # 5 = right turn signal(black/green wire pin 11)
Relay tab # 8 = Blinker (black/white/green pin 5)

Run the remaining 2 wires under the steering column and above your pedals where you can find a good location for GROUND and 12V ignition power.
Relay tab # 6 = ignition power (I attached it to the 75X in the picture below)
Relay tab # 4 = Ground

Here's where to connect the wires as you do the install.

The first pin listed in each line is on the Komfortblinker module, the second pin listed is on the harness plug that is in the steering column:

Pin #2 (white) goes to pin #3 (black/white) of the main plug (left blinker signal wire)
Pin #4 (brown) goes to pin #12 (dual white wires) of the main plug (ground)
Pin #5 (green) goes to pin #11 (black/green) of the main plug (right blinker signal wire)
Pin #6 (black/white) goes to pin #1 or #2 (red) of the main plug (+12v)
Pin #8 (white/green) goes to pin #5 (black/white/green) of the main plug (blinker wire)

You can see that the only difference between my install and the one in the link is that I kept wires #6 (black/white, +12v) and #4 (brown, ground) up in the steering column instead of chasing down under the dash and to another power/ground location.

This keeps everything on the same fuse as the OEM blinker setup so if there's an issue, you won't end up with poofkaboom and possibly a small electrical fire.

What's cool about this setup is that it's a piggy-back type system. It should work with any blinker setup provided you can figure out the left, right and blink lines out of the vehicle's wire harness.

A buddy of mine and I will be attempting to install the Komfortblinker setup in his Porsche 993. I'll let everyone know how that works when we get it done.

Next mods on the RS6 will be the installation of the RSN-E system, a Blinder X-treme M-40 laser jammer (the one in my R8 seems to work well) - may consider a Laser Star if I can get one in the States, and then a Revo setup.

If I can figure out how to put automatic headlight controls in, I'll do that too - anyone else attempted it or know anything about it?

That should be fun!

mmaturo
July 22nd, 2009, 23:54
I know this is an older thread, but I never let the ideas die. I still need to install the RNS-E system, as it's original installation attempt ended up being a major fiasco. (more on that later....)

Anyhow, I just did the install of my Komfortblinker. It's quite simple and pretty easy.

I now have a three blink signal for left and right at the touch of the stalk. Works like it's a factory setup.

I followed the link above (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=22496272) and then modified it a tad to make the install a little bit easier.

Head down to your local VW dealer and order part number 000-998-229-A "Retrokit". Retail price is US$56.59. Audi parts can access the number, but only VW can order it (at least that was my discovery).

It comes with the Komfortblinker module, a wire harness (with two plugs and a pigtail with open female spade leads) and some (useless) instructions.

The instructions in the link above work well, but I modified them a touch, so I didn't have to find power and ground at a different location in the car. All you need is right there at the plug that you pull loose after you remove the top cover of the steering column.

I cut the harness for the blinker module plug off about 5" away from the (large) plug that has the two sets of wires coming out of it. This left me with about 8" of wire coming out of the Komfortblinker module's plug.

I stripped about 5mm off the ends and then soldered and electrical taped the connections directly to the wires coming out of the large plug in the steering column. (For the record, I hate electrical tape, but I wasn't able to get the pins out of the large plug to allow me to use heat shrink. Need a different pin removal tool. Damn.)

I used a hobby knife to remove a small piece of insulation (about 5mm) off of each of the wires, being very careful not to cut any of the strands of copper wire in as I removed the insulation.

The instructions in the link above for wiring are as follows:
Relay tab # 2 = left blinker signal(black/white wire pin 3)
Relay tab # 5 = right turn signal(black/green wire pin 11)
Relay tab # 8 = Blinker (black/white/green pin 5)

Run the remaining 2 wires under the steering column and above your pedals where you can find a good location for GROUND and 12V ignition power.
Relay tab # 6 = ignition power (I attached it to the 75X in the picture below)
Relay tab # 4 = Ground

Here's where to connect the wires as you do the install.

The first pin listed in each line is on the Komfortblinker module, the second pin listed is on the harness plug that is in the steering column:

Pin #2 (white) goes to pin #3 (black/white) of the main plug (left blinker signal wire)
Pin #4 (brown) goes to pin #12 (dual white wires) of the main plug (ground)
Pin #5 (green) goes to pin #11 (black/green) of the main plug (right blinker signal wire)
Pin #6 (black/white) goes to pin #1 or #2 (red) of the main plug (+12v)
Pin #8 (white/green) goes to pin #5 (black/white/green) of the main plug (blinker wire)

You can see that the only difference between my install and the one in the link is that I kept wires #6 (black/white, +12v) and #4 (brown, ground) up in the steering column instead of chasing down under the dash and to another power/ground location.

This keeps everything on the same fuse as the OEM blinker setup so if there's an issue, you won't end up with poofkaboom and possibly a small electrical fire.

What's cool about this setup is that it's a piggy-back type system. It should work with any blinker setup provided you can figure out the left, right and blink lines out of the vehicle's wire harness.

A buddy of mine and I will be attempting to install the Komfortblinker setup in his Porsche 993. I'll let everyone know how that works when we get it done.

Next mods on the RS6 will be the installation of the RSN-E system, a Blinder X-treme M-40 laser jammer (the one in my R8 seems to work well) - may consider a Laser Star if I can get one in the States, and then a Revo setup.

If I can figure out how to put automatic headlight controls in, I'll do that too - anyone else attempted it or know anything about it?

That should be fun!

Fantastic, thanks...glad i waited...car was has been in the shop every other week it seems so i haven't had a chance to do this yet. So just to make sure i have this right i really could use some self tapping connectors into the existing wires rather than trying to cut off some of the insulation on the existing ones, correct? You do not actually cut any of the original wires but rather just tap into them, right?

Going to do this in two weekends as not getting my car back till next week for stabilizer bar/links no 4 and fuel level sending unit as my gauge is way off. Same thing i took it in for 3 weeks ago.

KfabR8
July 23rd, 2009, 00:07
Yes, you can tap right in at the back of the plug using Scotch Locks or similar. I'm always wary of Scotch Locks, as they tend to cut the wire and insulation when installed. Not that it should be an issue, though - the wires are not in an area that's exposed to the elements or vibration and such.

mmaturo
July 23rd, 2009, 00:12
Yes, you can tap right in at the back of the plug using Scotch Locks or similar. I'm always wary of Scotch Locks, as they tend to cut the wire and insulation when installed. Not that it should be an issue, though - the wires are not in an area that's exposed to the elements or vibration and such.

great, thanks, that was the only question i had on the AW write up that wasn't clear to me. I've had the damn part for several months...time to put it in...sad part is i wish i knew the techs still at my dealer as they just replaced the main blinker switch at the hazard light location as mine was messing up...could have had them do it directly at the switch there and stuff it in the dash, which is what i think the VW instructions were doing.

DuckWingDuck
July 23rd, 2009, 01:08
seriously, mark, just talk to a tech, it'll take 'em 5 minutes while your car's in the shop. Are you on good terms with your service advisor? If so, maybe have him do an intro!

mmaturo
July 23rd, 2009, 01:31
Its a matter of trust now. I did know several of them well until recently then they left or were down sized. Now I barely trust them to fix the car as it is in now for what I dropped it off for last time. This I can do easily just haven't had the time.

DuckWingDuck
July 23rd, 2009, 01:41
Heh, I can sympathise with that. I went to have lunch with my tech a few weeks ago and I had never seen the shop so empty.

KfabR8
July 24th, 2009, 02:53
If you do the scotch locks, make sure that you get the correct locks for the given wire size.

The leads on the Komfortbliker setup are 18 gauge. The power leads and, I believe the ground (can't recall...) are 14 gauge. If you use a Scotch Lock for smaller wire, it will cut the 14 gauge lead's internal wires. Be careful there.

Usually the blue Scotch Locks will work with 18 and 20 gauge while the yellowish colored ones are for larger wire - 14, 16 gauge. Some of them are set up as tap splices and will have a 14/16 gauge on one side and the 18/20 gauge on the other.

mmaturo
July 24th, 2009, 04:59
If you do the scotch locks, make sure that you get the correct locks for the given wire size.

The leads on the Komfortbliker setup are 18 gauge. The power leads and, I believe the ground (can't recall...) are 14 gauge. If you use a Scotch Lock for smaller wire, it will cut the 14 gauge lead's internal wires. Be careful there.

Usually the blue Scotch Locks will work with 18 and 20 gauge while the yellowish colored ones are for larger wire - 14, 16 gauge. Some of them are set up as tap splices and will have a 14/16 gauge on one side and the 18/20 gauge on the other.

Thanks, appreciate the extra info as i was about to do the research on the wire size. Getting car back tomorrow from the dealer (stabilizer bar/links #4, and fuel sending units...this visit they believed me...good thing as CPO ran out yesterday...I am sooooo F'd as didn't/don't have the cash for extended warranty at the moment)...anyway I may actually tackle this Saturday or Sunday finally. Thanks again for your posts.

bfly
July 24th, 2009, 14:14
Scotch Locks on a $90k car? Are you nuts? Scotch Locks are for rednecks wiring a hitch on a 1978 Ford pickup. :jlol:

Sorry, that rant was the EE in me coming out.

mmaturo
July 24th, 2009, 16:27
Scotch Locks on a $90k car? Are you nuts? Scotch Locks are for rednecks wiring a hitch on a 1978 Ford pickup. :jlol:

eehhh, I used to have a '75 Buick Regal and I am originally from central Florida does that count... well after 4 years i am well aware of my 90K car only being worth 20K now so what the hell. Honestly my skills at trying to remove insulation to tap onto 6 wires i am not cutting through are more dangerous than half ass little plastic connectors. I will wrap them in tape though.

So is the issue the quality of the connection or quality of that particular type of tap? I really do not want to try to trim off the insulation as I'm not super dexterous with my hands these days so self tapping is really of course easier for me...if it was something more serious than a turn signal connection I might be more worried about my skills or lack there of.

Oddly I am an architect so I appreciate your comment having an EE pick on me for wanting to do something half arse for a change is an interesting event.

KfabR8
July 24th, 2009, 21:01

Oddly I am an architect so I appreciate your comment having an EE pick on me for wanting to do something half arse for a change is an interesting event.LOL - yea, I hear you. Frustrated the Hell out of me that I didn't have the proper tool to remove the female spade pins in the plug so I could use heat shrink around my solder joints. I absolutely despise electrical tape.

Shoppinit
July 27th, 2009, 18:33
Pretty funny. If the RS6 did have the 3 blink thing, I think I would pay money to remove it. Drives me mad.