PDA

View Full Version : RS5 in vegas!!

Audifan92
August 19th, 2008, 01:57
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2799882#post2799882

what do you guys think?
anyone near vegas wanna check this out.
the OP of the audizine thread said that people are welcome to come and check it out.

they also have the R8 V10 and the TT-R

M3 owner
August 19th, 2008, 05:05
He can’t take photos of the car without getting fired yet ppl r allowed 2 go there & c the cars in person? I don’t think so mate.
If this was posted here by Leadie,Jarod or a couple of the other guys I would believe it.
I have never posted on that forum, I don’t know this guys track record so........

HKS786
August 19th, 2008, 11:05
He can’t take photos of the car without getting fired yet ppl r allowed 2 go there & c the cars in person? I don’t think so mate.
If this was posted here by Leadie,Jarod or a couple of the other guys I would believe it.
I have never posted on that forum, I don’t know this guys track record so........

I was just about to agree, but one of the other members on the board went down to see the cars too. The guy has been on the board for 2 years and has like 12,000 posts. Hmm...

I cant manage to get hold of my sources, but I would like to see if anyone else can confirm the design of the RS5. Both of the members on that board say it has a big front bumper like the A3 Clubsport. That isnt so hard to believe since the TT Clubsport previews the TT-R in some ways ;)

HKS786
August 19th, 2008, 11:09
Here's a summary of the details from the thread for you guys:

TT-R = 2.5 inline turbo 350bhp, RS4 wheels
RS5 = V8 470bhp, A3 Clubsport-like bumper
R8 = V10 520bhp
Q7 = V12 750lb-ft tq, huge ceramic brakes

Most of this info has been discussed in recent times on many forums. The only reason I'm not calling those guys liars is because they have been on the forum for years and have lots of posts. Hmmm... Can anyone confirm?

Leadfoot
August 19th, 2008, 12:17
At the minute I have no info to back up their claims or dispel them. As you have reminded us, all the info provided is old news with nothing new.

Until pictures come forth it is only a rumour.

MihokS5
August 19th, 2008, 12:53
I can back this guy up as being a reputable source. I have done business with him before and have vistied the dealership. He would not put up a rediculous post like that unless it was true.

Audifan92
August 19th, 2008, 13:49
The guy is the GM of Desert Audi in Vegas

The Pretender
August 19th, 2008, 17:22
I think it's BS with capital letters.

Jarod.

The RS6
August 19th, 2008, 17:51
Maybe sales have fallen in his shop so he wants to attract lots of Audi lovers to come over there and take a look... :)

KresoF1
August 19th, 2008, 18:10
It is true.

Audi is currently testing some test mules in USA.

R8 V10 is the same one that is on the pic near Nashville that I posted. R8 V10 Spider is flat black test mule and RS5 is basically S5 body shell with new 4.2 V8 and new front end(not final exterior design)...

Damienr8
August 19th, 2008, 18:55
Holy Crap Awesome. Didnt think the RS5 would makes over 450 but i suppose that I am wrong.

Anyone else think that after all the spyshots and rumors, that the V10 R8 would be introduced in Targa form at the Official presentation and then Coupe form later on?

regards,
Damien

Leadfoot
August 19th, 2008, 19:41
It is true.

Audi is currently testing some test mules in USA.

R8 V10 is the same one that is on the pic near Nashville that I posted. R8 V10 Spider is flat black test mule and RS5 is basically S5 body shell with new 4.2 V8 and new front end(not final exterior design)...

So it's true then, thanks for conforming that Kerso. :thumb:

I never did hear the final spec of the RS5, only knew the rough KW (approx 480hp) and the estimated torque figure of 500Nm. You would have to bet on the RS5 topping the current German standings but whether BMW or Mercedes will take this beating laying down is debatable. I reckon both of them will have something to say about this.

So lets see, 470hp + 500Nm + 7sp S/Tronic + 1600Kgs = 4.3s @ 100km/h. ;)

P.S.
After reading the review in the latest Topgear mag on the RS6 against it's priers you have to say that even with a heavier engine than would be ideal the RS5 will be an incredibly hard car to beat on a twisty bit of black stuff.

The Pretender
August 19th, 2008, 20:41
The RS5 will be like the RS6 overweight.

Jarod.

artur777
August 19th, 2008, 21:02
Jarod, what are your predictions about RS5 weight?

Damienr8
August 19th, 2008, 21:04

Jarod.

I anticipate that the RS5 will be a bit on the Porky Side. Audi should seriously focus on power to weight ratios and weight saving components, rather than just boosting hp.

I would be fine with a RS5 with the RS4's 420hp v8 a curb weight of 3600-3650 rather than a 470hp V8 with a curb weight that might match or even exceed that of the S5's 3891 figure.

Michaël Barbé
August 19th, 2008, 21:16

Jarod.

Do you really think so? I can believe that because it will never do 4.3sec to 100km/h! So it has to be more then 1600kg for sure... Hope not though

MB
:rs6kiss:

The Pretender
August 19th, 2008, 21:24
Jarod, what are your predictions about RS5 weight?
1702 Kg.

Jarod.

The Pretender
August 19th, 2008, 21:25
Do you really think so? I can believe that because it will never do 4.3sec to 100km/h! So it has to be more then 1600kg for sure... Hope not though

MB
The S5 weighs already 1630 Kg the RS will not weigh lees, not by a long shot.

Jarod.

artur777
August 19th, 2008, 22:08
1702 Kg.

Jarod.

Jarod, look pls:

M3 is at 1675 kg with DKG
RS5 will be at 1702 with S-Tronic

The difference is not that great considering that RS5 will have Quattro3.

BTW - what are your predictions about weight distribution between front and rear axle? This is much more important IMHO.

The Pretender
August 19th, 2008, 23:00
Jarod, look pls:

M3 is at 1675 kg with DKG
RS5 will be at 1702 with S-Tronic

The difference is not that great considering that RS5 will have Quattro3.

BTW - what are your predictions about weight distribution between front and rear axle? This is much more important IMHO.
It will be more front heavy then the S5 IMHO.

Jarod.

HKS786
August 19th, 2008, 23:10

Jarod.

The weight difference is not that much between the M3 and RS5, but it is sad to hear we'll have a nose-heavy RS5. However, with the performance rated at 470bhp/~500Nm I have faith that Audi will make something mean :hahahehe:

Leadfoot
August 20th, 2008, 10:35

Jarod.

If we are basing past experience of Audi's approach to their RS models then I would have to agree with Jarod on this, the RS5 will be at least as nose heavy as the S5. But for anyone who has driven the RS4 compared to the S4 you will know that QuattroGmbH has a talent for getting nose heavy cars to perform amazingly well.

If Audi stick to their current philosophy then a 56/44 weight balance is expected, but if they pull out all the stops I personally think 53~54 front bias is on the cards and with that the handling will be incredible. I know the technology and know-how is there, it's whether the commitment to there that is the question.

The Pretender
August 20th, 2008, 16:12
I would not count on that, the new 7-speed S-Tronic gearbox will weigh more then the normal Quattro gearbox and is in the front half of the car.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
August 20th, 2008, 16:16
I would not count on that, the new 7-speed S-Tronic will weigh more then the normal Quattro gearbox and is in the front half of the car.

Jarod.

Mate, I wasn't in disagreement with you, only highlighting the fact that if they pulled out all the stops and put the technical know-how to work they could shave 30~40kgs from the front with ease.

Even if they don't it will still handle as well as anything else in it's bracket.

The Pretender
August 20th, 2008, 16:22
Put on a aluminium frontend (Bonnet, fenders and doors) and you save some weight.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
August 20th, 2008, 16:29
Put on a aluminium frontend (Bonnet, fenders and doors) and you save some weight.

Jarod.

And none of this is out of the question, in fact they could go to plastic outer fenders like in the M3. There is a slim possibility that carbon discs will be included again shaving more weight off the front. Though I very much doubt that one happening.

RXBG
August 20th, 2008, 18:23
unless this "new" 4.2 rs5 engine is force induced i don't see how in the heck you'll get 368 lb/ft of torque out of it. that is about 50 more than it makes now.

KresoF1
August 20th, 2008, 18:29
unless this "new" 4.2 rs5 engine is force induced i don't see how in the heck you'll get 368 lb/ft of torque out of it. that is over 60 more than it makes now.

It will make around 450Nm, Leadie is just little bit overoptimistic in his 500Nm claims... Engine's God name is not Audi...

BigRick
August 20th, 2008, 20:04
If we are basing past experience of Audi's approach to their RS models then I would have to agree with Jarod on this, the RS5 will be at least as nose heavy as the S5. But for anyone who has driven the RS4 compared to the S4 you will know that QuattroGmbH has a talent for getting nose heavy cars to perform amazingly well.

If Audi stick to their current philosophy then a 56/44 weight balance is expected, but if they pull out all the stops I personally think 53~54 front bias is on the cards and with that the handling will be incredible. I know the technology and know-how is there, it's whether the commitment to there that is the question.

I just did some maths with the numbers out there and here are the findings:
Assuming 1700Kg total
At a 56/44 split we have 204 Kg (449 lb) more on the front.

To get 50/50 you would need to (I over simplified a bit)
Add 204 Kg on the back (easy just have friends sitting in the back seats)
Move 102 Kg to the back (what can be moved there?)
Shave 204 Kg from the front (that's like removing the engine!!!)

The real question is what the hell is so heavy?! It's like two "Me" standing on the hood!!! Has anyone checked what the B8 chasis made to the ratio or are we still using the old numbers?

I might be clueless but that can't be totaly because of quattro (is it?) I know the engine has to be a bit more in front of the wheels and there's the second diff needed that adds to the weight but 204 Kg!

RXBG
August 20th, 2008, 20:58
It will make around 450Nm, Leadie is just little bit overoptimistic in his 500Nm claims... Engine's God name is not Audi...

sorry. i don't believe it'll be the same old RS4 engine with more hp.

there is a 4.0TT V8 coming to the A6 and A8 lines to replace the currently aging NA 4.2. i suspect this engine will go into the RS5 in a higher state of tune. the only other possibility would be a slightly higher displacement NA V8, i.e. 4.5 or 4.7 liter, that could be put in there and that would essentially be an RS4 enigne with a higher displacement in order to get more torque. by adding valvelift they could keep a similar fuel economy if not improve it. this latter solution makes the most sense because whatever engine the RS5 gets the R8 will get as a new base engine in about 2 yrs time. we all know the R8 design is problematic for turbo cooling. so i prefer this latter scenario.

perhaps audi will come up with a cooling solution for the turbo's in the R8. but say it does, a turboed or supercharged RS4 engine would make power similar to the upcoming V10's.

it is for all of these reasons that i favor a NA 4.5-4.7L version of the current RS4 engine making 470 hp and about 370 lb/ft. it would let the RS5 and new RS4 and updated base R8 slot nicely below the R8 V10 with 535 hp and 400 lb/ft and with respect to one another, allowing their platforms to distinguish their performance- not the engine. at the same time it makes sense economically for audi (look at what it has done for mercedes).

youry
August 20th, 2008, 21:02
sorry. i don't believe it'll be the same old RS4 engine with more hp.

there is a 4.0TT V8 coming to the A6 and A8 lines to replace the currently aging NA 4.2. i suspect this engine will go into the RS5 in a higher state of tune. the only other possibility would be a slightly higher displacement NA V8, i.e. 4.5 or 4.7 liter, that could be put in there and that would essentially be an RS4 enigne with a higher displacement in order to get more torque. by adding valvelift they could keep a similar fuel economy if not improve it. this latter solution makes the most sense because whatever engine the RS5 gets the R8 will get as a new base engine in about 2 yrs time. we all know the R8 design is problematic for turbo cooling. so i prefer this latter scenario.

perhaps audi will come up with a cooling solution for the turbo's in the R8. but say it does, a turboed or supercharged RS4 engine would make power similar to the upcoming V10's.

it is for all of these reasons that i favor a NA 4.5-4.7L version of the current RS4 engine making 470 hp and about 370 lb/ft. it would let the RS5 and new RS4 and updated base R8 slot nicely below the R8 V10 with 535 hp and 400 lb/ft and with respect to one another, allowing their platforms to distinguish their performance- not the engine. at the same time it makes sense economically for audi (look at what it has done for mercedes).

I fully agree with you i do not see how you can add another 50 hp to the current 4.2 RS4 V8 engine. so I agree with you its either a TT/ supercharger or a higher displacement....

time will tell unless somone has real info before that....

Leadfoot
August 20th, 2008, 21:59

I don't know whether it will end up producing 500Nm, that is what I was told months and months ago. At the time I thought it had to be a V10 but I think since that time the idea of having a heavy V10 ruled that out.

The Pretender
August 20th, 2008, 22:14
The Audi V8 can't have more displacement, it' limit is 4.2 litre.
And the Porsche N/A V8 have less power then the old RS4 engine.
A 4.0TFSI Supercharged engine iks the most likely.

Jarod.

Marv
August 21st, 2008, 13:46
Just got thinking about this. I'm sure Jarod is right - 4.2 is the limit for this engine - cylinder spacing in the block is tight. Audi would need to re-tool and basically make a brand new engine to get more capacity = very expensive.

Also piston speed is already at its limit at max revs to there can't be more power to be had by letting the engine rev higher.

This only leaves an increase in torque to get more power. To get 10% more power you need 10% more torque. Not being an engineer I don't know if this is possible but there was speculation that ValveLift combined with reduced internal engine friction (new materials) could give this extra kick.

To get more low down torque and better fuel figures a forced induction 4.0 is the better solution but I'm not sure Audi care so much about this for the RS cars. Can't wait to find out. I'll be looking seriously at the next RS4 and I'm sure this RS5 is going to give us a preview or what will be in the B8 RS4.

Marv

RXBG
August 21st, 2008, 14:19
armed with this new info it seems most logical that audi would squeeze whatever it could out of its investment in the RS4 engine by adding a turbo or SC to it. 460 hp and 360 lb/ft later you'd have the ideal step up for the new RS4 and the RS5.

oh. and the R8.

Damienr8
August 21st, 2008, 14:51
As pretender stated, what about the new 4.0TFSI Supercharged. That could be a possibility. I for one wouldnt mind a new engine that is either the same weight as the outgoing 4.2L or maybe even lighter.

In my mind, displacement increase = weight increase (chassis and frame asisde). I have faith in audi though.

*Don't mind me, Ive been on a "weight savings" stand ever since the RS4. hehe.

KresoF1
August 21st, 2008, 15:36
Black test mule from LV:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/spy-shots-2010-audi-rs5/

roadrunner
August 21st, 2008, 15:40
some pics of the RS5 mule in Vegas:

http://images.auto-motor-und-sport.de/hps/img/hxmedia/mpsams/2008/08/6J1jFvUwWBy66E_450x300.jpg
http://images.auto-motor-und-sport.de/hps/img/hxmedia/mpsams/2008/08/5J1bJnhLWI7ul2_450x300.jpg
http://images.auto-motor-und-sport.de/hps/img/hxmedia/mpsams/2008/08/0J1Dpv0WY_HbP6_450x300.jpg

Found on auto motor und sport: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/auto_-_produkte/erlkoenige/hxcms_article_514837_13987.hbs

EDIT: Apparently KresoF1 beat me by 4 minutes :thumb:

KresoF1
August 21st, 2008, 15:43
Check this out as well:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/audi-builds-one-off-420hp-s5-evo-to-test-the-waters/#more-6867

http://www.infomotori.com/audi_s5_evo_test_drive_23134_1.html

The Pretender
August 21st, 2008, 15:52
Audi have to change the crankshaft to a flat plain to get more power out of it.
Ferrari's 4.3 V8 produce 490 hp by 8500 rpm and have 465 Nm of torque.
In Audi's case by 4.2 litre this mean 478 hp must be possible if Audi start using a flat plain crankshaft.

btw, that black mule have two intercoolers, it's a S5 4.2 TDI Clubsport.

Jarod.

KresoF1
August 21st, 2008, 16:13
NO, it is 4.2L NA engine... There are even pics of the engine but, of course it can not be posted on the web...

Damienr8
August 21st, 2008, 16:29
NO, it is 4.2L NA engine... There are even pics of the engine but, of course it can not be posted on the web...

As i suspected Kreso.

I have no problem with the RS5 using the 420hp 4.2LV8, but with a good diet.

Michaël Barbé
August 21st, 2008, 17:56
some pics of the RS5 mule in Vegas:

http://images.auto-motor-und-sport.de/hps/img/hxmedia/mpsams/2008/08/6J1jFvUwWBy66E_450x300.jpg
http://images.auto-motor-und-sport.de/hps/img/hxmedia/mpsams/2008/08/5J1bJnhLWI7ul2_450x300.jpg
http://images.auto-motor-und-sport.de/hps/img/hxmedia/mpsams/2008/08/0J1Dpv0WY_HbP6_450x300.jpg

Found on auto motor und sport: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/auto_-_produkte/erlkoenige/hxcms_article_514837_13987.hbs

EDIT: Apparently KresoF1 beat me by 4 minutes :thumb:

I sure it will be wider!

MB

youry
August 21st, 2008, 17:58
I sure it will be wider!

MB

Yep it has to if not the front bumper is too large for the current fenders.

I do like the nes RS look though, looking forward to this RS5... I am on the waiting list since April when I sold my RS4....

Leadfoot
August 21st, 2008, 18:41
I'm in agreement with Jarod, if this is an RS mule it will be the first one ever to not use the tradition oval pipes. Also, looking at the front shot of the car you can clearly see what looks like intercoolers either side.

I wouldn't be surprised to here this is a diesel, I did tell you that Audi were working on hi-performance diesel versions of both the S and RS models. If this is an S diesel version the fact that it's got a Clubsport nose similar to the A3 eariler shown then we can expect something approaching 330hp.

I can't say if it's a v8 diesel or a v6, I would have expected a v6 simply because that is where the market place is at the moment with the 335d leading the list.

Leadfoot
August 21st, 2008, 18:49
Check this out as well:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/audi-builds-one-off-420hp-s5-evo-to-test-the-waters/#more-6867 (http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/audi-builds-one-off-420hp-s5-evo-to-test-the-waters/#more-6867)

What I read into this is that Audi may bring out a higher output version of the S5, an Evo version that bridges the gap between the normal S5 and the RS5, if the RS5 ends up with 450hp then I doubt an official S5 EVO will have the 420 that this one-off has, a 390~400hp would be more like it. But if this 420hp is the final spec then there is no way the RS5 will only have 450hp, I reckon you would need to add another 20hp to that figure.

RXBG
August 21st, 2008, 18:57
good find by leadie.

makes sense to drop a detuned RS4 engine in there. maybe they'll even simply drop the current V8 in the S5 and update it with this engine........ though i doubt this.

Damienr8
August 21st, 2008, 19:46
I doubt the S5 evo would make it into production. To me it doesnt make sense to have an A5, S5, S5 evo and RS5.

f1esp
August 21st, 2008, 20:13
RS5 + TT-RS
http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/audi_100166378_m.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=1NX1S67K1EPB17 FHDG82&Expires=1219938601&Signature=%2BScyT2yT8g9bOl47CAIC8qhRfjE%3D

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/audi_100166377_m.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=1NX1S67K1EPB17 FHDG82&Expires=1219938601&Signature=HT7eL080zm2QSf6jBP3uUIqvv%2FQ%3D

The Pretender
August 21st, 2008, 20:30

This front look a lot like the TT-S front, it could be a 2009 S5 front upgrade.

But there is something weird about this car.
"NO WAY" this is a N/A engined car, not by a long shot.
This car have two intercooler with out a doubt.
It can't be Supercharged IMHO because a SC don't need air intercoolers.
In that case there are two options:
1) This is a TDI car.
2) this car have the V10 TFSI under the bonnet.

Jarod.

youry
August 21st, 2008, 21:01
why not a 4.2 TFSI

RXBG
August 21st, 2008, 21:08
damien and youry-- exactly..............

damien- it could make sense to have the old RS4 engine in the S5 line as an "evo" once the current S5 engine gets replaced with the upcoming S4's powerplant, which i am convinced WILL happen. you'd have an A5 with 265, then the S5 with 350 (SC motor) and then a 400 hp evo-- 4 engine options does seem a bit excessive at first, i agree, but then they do offer like 8 engines in the A5 in europe do they not?-----

followed by the V8 TT 4.0 with 470- hp.....

youry- i too agree it isn't diesel. it is gas. 4.0 V8 TT--- what i've been saying all along. the V10 TT doesn't belong in this line. it will go into the RS7.

The Pretender
August 21st, 2008, 21:24
Audi don't make it easy.
V6 3.0TFSI is a supercharged engine, the V10 5.0TFSI is a biturbo engine.
There are rumours of a 395 hp V8 4.0TFSI supercharged engine for the next gen A8 and it look like the RS5 could have a V8 4.0TFSI biturbo engine (little brother of the RS6 engine) based on these new pictures.

Jarod.

youry
August 21st, 2008, 21:32
If only that could be true

RXBG
August 21st, 2008, 21:33
i think we are going to find that the only SC engine is going to be in the 6 cyl models. it is designed for small apps where it is most efficient and improves mpg rather than worsens it (as in the AMG cars). it is also compact and fits in tight spaces.

the V8 models are going to continue TT. the last TT gas V8 audi engine was the C5 RS6's. audi engine tech has come a long way since then. the new engine will probably be able to produce anywhere from 400 to 480 hp faithfully. i don't see audi doing something silly like developing a SC and TT versions of the same engine. my opinion.

it'll will be able to do wonders for the uplevel A6 offering to allowing for 2 D4 A8 offerings, yet still leave room for a V10 in the S8.

The Pretender
August 21st, 2008, 21:43
It make sence your V6 SC theory, but i think the A4/S4 and A5/S5 engine room are the same.
If a biturbo V8 fit in the A5/S5, a biturbo V6 would fit in the A4/S4 engine room.
And in that case the new V6 SC engine make no sence in the new S4.
Tuning a V6 SC eco engine to deliver performance in a S4. :doh:

Jarod.

Marv
August 21st, 2008, 21:51
We won't see the v10 bi-turbo in this car that would be barking mad (but what fun :hihi:)

Given there are two intercoolers I guess it has two turbos. V8 or V6 petrol? My money is on the new V6 bi-turbo TDI - there have been many rumours about this engine and it is about time it broke cover. Seems odd with those brakes though on an S car.

Marv

RXBG
August 22nd, 2008, 00:48
It make sence your V6 SC theory, but i think the A4/S4 and A5/S5 engine room are the same.
If a biturbo V8 fit in the A5/S5, a biturbo V6 would fit in the A4/S4 engine room.
And in that case the new V6 SC engine make no sence in the new S4.
Tuning a V6 SC eco engine to deliver performance in a S4. :doh:

Jarod.

they may have the same engine compartment. but which engine goes in depends. they may have had many engines in mind originally. but this SC engine wins out. it is powerful and much more economical than the V8. it will help audi meet emissions quotas for their entire car line. and the engine bay has room for a TT V8 monster for the RS version. we'll see who is right, but i predict that by MY 2010 the S5 and S4 will both have the SC V6 and the RS4/RS5 will both get a TT V8 4.0 FSI with valvelift engine.

Qisha
August 22nd, 2008, 07:39
Dear Friends,

speculating is exciting, isnt it?

Why dont you assume that these two "intercoolers" are additional watercoolers?? ;)

Qisha

Marv
August 22nd, 2008, 08:46
Come on Qisha! What do you know?

If they are water coolers we are looking at either high rev V8 NA (with more power) or V6/V8 with SC.

When can we find out?

Marv

Marv
August 22nd, 2008, 08:48
....actually V10 NA is a possibility too.

Leadfoot
August 22nd, 2008, 10:08
....actually V10 NA is a possibility too.

Now that would be something, to have my original guess to be proven correct. To much to wish for, but then again would I really want a heavy v10 under the nose, destroying the handling.

RXBG
August 22nd, 2008, 14:11
if they are watercoolers (and he isn't yanking my shaft) then the only conclusion is SC V8. you can't make the RS4 engine rev much more. and it wouldn't need all of that double watercooler drama anyway. and i really don't think audi went with a whole new retooled brand new engine. i still don't think audi would SC the RS4 V8.

youry
August 22nd, 2008, 15:00
how about oil coolers, we knwo the RS4 V8 engine heats a lot asn the oil temperature is already going very high inthe 120 degrees C area....

if they boost the engine more they have to cool the oil more hence the need for oil radiators...... that can explaign it as well right ? and I do have the feeling ti will be a NA engine

crespo
August 22nd, 2008, 15:39
I want this to stay as a 4.2 N/A V8 with Valvelift and 450hp+, since it will be lightest option as well as the CHEAPEST!

Please keep that in mind, people. If Audi do anything other than the re-tooled N/A 4.2 (read: V10, TT, SC, etc), this will quickly become an exorbitantly expensive car. So much so that I (and many others) will criticize and lose interest. And with a 450hp+ V8, it will be far from slow. Heck, remember how all the RS4 reviews rate the engine as one of the best and most flexible in the world (torque everywhere). This will hopefully also be the case with this version of the 4.2 in the RS5, since a drop in torque is HIGHLY unlikely, and the addition of MOAR POWEAR is obviously always welcome. All it really needs to be is light (or not too much heavier than an S5).

I think the intercoolers just point to extra cooling for a Valvelift'd 4.2. They could even just be testing to see if it's necessary in extreme heat (who said they have to be installed all the time?).

Wow, I think that's a pretty valid theory...

In the end, I really don't want to see this become another overweight, overcomplicated Autobahn missile. We know that's not quattro GmbH's mantra anyway. The magic they worked with the RS4 will come through here as well. Keep it simple, please.

BigRick
August 22nd, 2008, 15:47
Am I the only one wishing Audi doesn't go the Eco... (neither ...nomy nor ...logy) way? We're talking RS models. They can meet their regulation stuff with the "A line" and maybe "S line" models but the RS are the flagships top of the line models. When I'm driving the RS4 I'm not interrested at all in how much petrol it uses and I might be from another planet but I don't think anyone who owns one of those high performance car wants to hear about that as being a priority above power and handling.

I would really like to see the threads in a couple of years from now going something like

-----------------------------------------------
RS5 vs M3

[RS5 owner]
You beat bet the crap out of my car on the 1/4 mile but I can go much longer.

[M3 Owner]
Poor you! :nana: why didn't you buy a Yaris then?!
------------------------------------------------

Let's be honest I don't think Audi is or should be considering fuel economy in that perticular line. They should really focus that kind of effort on A3 and A4 introducing hybrids or something like that.

The Pretender
August 22nd, 2008, 16:00
The 450 hp - 580Nm 6.0 W12 engine would fit in there as well. ;)

Jarod.

crespo
August 22nd, 2008, 16:00
BigRick, I wouldn't worry about that.

RXBG
August 22nd, 2008, 16:04
the bugatti engine would fit it it was placed behind the driver and the rear seats and rear roof were removed. we could call it the RS5 superclubsportquattroplus.

BigRick
August 22nd, 2008, 16:08
BigRick, I wouldn't worry about that.

I really hope so! But reading posts from well informed people here, the subject is brought on the carpet way too many times for us to completely ignore it.

But I agree with you, I'm pretty sure Audi won't go that route. SC 4.2 get's my vote for now and I wish for a great diet.

Cheers!

The Pretender
August 22nd, 2008, 17:51
http://bilder.autobild.de/ir_img/59527509_697d54c980.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/ir_img/59527510_d121f1fb9a.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/ir_img/59527511_62d7339cf7.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/ir_img/59527512_9876f248c9.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/ir_img/59527513_6f6ebc34db.jpg

jarod.

artur777
August 22nd, 2008, 19:07
My opinion is 4.0 TFSI with SC or TT
It will be in the way of new RS6 and decreasing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

I see also a little way for Audi to use up-tuned V8 4.2.
But the limit will be 450 hp - it's almost impossible to tune up more without making it more expensive.

Toto89
August 23rd, 2008, 22:03
The key factor is what power output do they want. If RS5 stays under 500 hp SC or turbos are wastage. Otherwise they are necessary. My choice would be 4.0 TFSI at around 1 bar of boost and ~500hp. But if Audi follows the way they did with RS6, it can even be turbocharged under 500hp to let room for tuners. Maybe this is the most likely option. Personally i don't think if we will see many N/A RS cars in the future but maybe i'm wrong. I wonder why Audi made the S5 evo then.