PDA

View Full Version : Rs 4 & M3

Tony Lam
August 16th, 2008, 03:42
What kind of people will buy new M3 and what kind of people will buy RS4? I am now driving an RS4 Avant and I love the car so much. But 2 problems, the new body is released but the sport seat only comes in black and I don't like black. but for M3 I can choose any color I like for the interior. Their performance are also similar. So do you think I should sell my RS4 for the M3? Please tell me all the pros and cons.:doh:

artur777
August 16th, 2008, 10:04
you can also wait for RS5:-)

Michaël Barbé
August 16th, 2008, 10:51
What kind of people will buy new M3 and what kind of people will buy RS4? I am now driving an RS4 Avant and I love the car so much. But 2 problems, the new body is released but the sport seat only comes in black and I don't like black. but for M3 I can choose any color I like for the interior. Their performance are also similar. So do you think I should sell my RS4 for the M3? Please tell me all the pros and cons.:doh:
You're going to regret selling your rs4! Wait for the rs5 or the new rs4. If you're into drifting etc: buy an m3. If you want to go into corner confedent: keep or buy any Audi with Quattro.

MB:rs6kiss:

Rutkowsky
August 16th, 2008, 11:22

You need to test drive the M-DCT M3, you'll love the car and technology!! Don't just ask for a 20 min. drive, book an extended test drive.
:0:

Rutkowsky
August 16th, 2008, 11:26
You're going to regret selling your rs4! Wait for the rs5 or the new rs4. If you're into drifting etc: buy an m3. If you want to go into corner confedent: keep or buy any Audi with Quattro.

MB:rs6kiss:

M3 just for drifts? You must be joking. I suppose you have had an M3 for a while and your opinion is impartial and you actually talk from experience.! :doh: I don't think you even test drove an M3 for 20 min.

Rutkowsky
August 16th, 2008, 11:27
you can also wait for RS5:-)

How long though, 2 years?

Michaël Barbé
August 16th, 2008, 13:29
M3 just for drifts? You must be joking. I suppose you have had an M3 for a while and your opinion is impartial and you actually talk from experience.! :doh: I don't think you even test drove an M3 for 20 min.

I drove an M3 for more then 20min long. the E46 though. A really great car!! But if I had to buy a car like this I would take the RS4 because it's more serious. The M3 is the best to play with imho.

MB
:rs6kiss:

Michaël Barbé
August 16th, 2008, 13:30

Oh, and I didn't said 'just for drift' :deal: !!

MB

BigRick
August 16th, 2008, 13:33

I can already see where this is going...

I can understand your point about going for more than 20 minutes but bear in mind that this test drive are almost impossible in most areas. The sales person I was going with got critisied because he left me get the car out of the parking alone!!! So you can guess there are no ways I'll drive that car alone for anything more then 10 to 20 minutes. And that was for the older model, you can forget about the new one.

Add to that, that after 5 minutes I was already convinced I didn't like it. Not everyone needs to sit in a car for a full day to make up their mind. Yes, I'll give it to you, I'm not a big fan of BMW to start with but that's just the way it is.

Tony seems to want to talk about the different phylosophy behind the drivers of each car. So I'll concentrate on this and ty to give him what I see as the major difference between both.

My perception is that M3 would be for flashier people that wants to attract attention and pretend they know how to drive (that's a really personnal opinion and can already feel the flaming!!!) most of the owner are "à la mode" as opposed to RS4 drivers that don't give a shit of what you think they just love what they have and are happy with it. I don't need to be driving on the edge to feel alive. The stealth factor goes a long way for me (and probably for many RS4 drivers)

So if you feel alive only when on the edge or if you judge people by how they look and you need to be "à la mode" then the M3 is probably right for you. Otherwise if you don't want too much attention and enjoy nice "usable" performance then just stick to the RS4.

Ok, now, I'll brace myself as I expect some people to disagree

Leadfoot
August 16th, 2008, 20:13
Why wouldn't you be offered more than a 20 minute test drive. I know the first time I went for a test drive in the M3 I got only 15 mins but that is to be expected because they don't know if you are serious but on the second viewing of the car I was offered it for three hours and only required my driving license to put me on to their insurance.

As for the M3, well I did seriously consider the thing and if things were different I would be driving one now. And that was the manual, what difference the M-DKG makes could be very impressive if it's anything like the S/Tronic.

Is it better than waiting for the RS5 or next RS4? I don't know about that, the M3 is only slightly better in many experienced people's eyes than the current RS4 so to jump ship wouldn't be the decision I would be making in your shoes.

M3 owner
August 16th, 2008, 23:23
Ultimately,it’s how a car makes U feel.Test drive the M3 & c what u think.If u do drive the M DCT,shift gears using the paddles at a lower rpm & c if that delay in gear shift is something u can live with everyday.

Also,I would have thought that a person would buy an avant because they need the extra space.Maybe u should look at the Mercedes C63 AMG Wagon?

As for all this talk about test drives.
When I was much younger,I went 2 a Mazda dealership 2 purchase a Twin Turbo RX7 & the salesman wouldn’t let me test drive the car.LOL I swear this is true, he took me for a short drive & then asked me what I thought of the car.I went to another Mazda dealership,this time with my father & I think they assumed that my dad was going to buy me the car so they let me test drive it for a few minutes.

I am older now but most salesmen I have encountered have tagged along 4 a 15 minute test drive on a route selected by them.Prior 2 the test drive they photocopied my driver’s licence & asked me 2 sign paperwork agreeing 2 pay 4 any damage sustained 2 the car during my test drive.

My mate is a bmw salesman so i can take the car as long as I want.He doesn’t even photo copy my driver’s licence.The hassle free,no b.s experience is the reason why I always buy beamers.

Michaël Barbé
August 17th, 2008, 08:26
Ultimately,it’s how a car makes U feel.Test drive the M3 & c what u think.If u do drive the M DCT,shift gears using the paddles at a lower rpm & c if that delay in gear shift is something u can live with everyday.

Also,I would have thought that a person would buy an avant because they need the extra space.Maybe u should look at the Mercedes C63 AMG Wagon?

As for all this talk about test drives.
When I was much younger,I went 2 a Mazda dealership 2 purchase a Twin Turbo RX7 & the salesman wouldn’t let me test drive the car.LOL I swear this is true, he took me for a short drive & then asked me what I thought of the car.I went to another Mazda dealership,this time with my father & I think they assumed that my dad was going to buy me the car so they let me test drive it for a few minutes.

I am older now but most salesmen I have encountered have tagged along 4 a 15 minute test drive on a route selected by them.Prior 2 the test drive they photocopied my driver’s licence & asked me 2 sign paperwork agreeing 2 pay 4 any damage sustained 2 the car during my test drive.

My mate is a bmw salesman so i can take the car as long as I want.He doesn’t even photo copy my driver’s licence.The hassle free,no b.s experience is the reason why I always buy beamers.

Indeed, you should testdrive the M3 or Merc or... And you should buy what you attracks the most!
Tip: just take an RS Audi:D

MB

BigRick
August 18th, 2008, 13:05
Why wouldn't you be offered more than a 20 minute test drive. I know the first time I went for a test drive in the M3 I got only 15 mins but that is to be expected because they don't know if you are serious but on the second viewing of the car I was offered it for three hours and only required my driving license to put me on to their insurance.

As for the M3, well I did seriously consider the thing and if things were different I would be driving one now. And that was the manual, what difference the M-DKG makes could be very impressive if it's anything like the S/Tronic.

Is it better than waiting for the RS5 or next RS4? I don't know about that, the M3 is only slightly better in many experienced people's eyes than the current RS4 so to jump ship wouldn't be the decision I would be making in your shoes.

Well, considering the RS4 was a "no test drive at all" buy, I think a 20 minutes drive is already pretty good. But keep in mind that we simply don't have the same volumes for these cars and that makes a great difference as of how they are treated. It is really hard for a dealer to sell a car with 200, 300 Km. Add to that that most cars are pre-sold, I think your starting to get an idea as of why you don't get too many 2-3 hours long test drives. I had to put a 1000$ deposit for a 20 minutes drive of the old M3...

Regarding the swith to M3, I agree with you that the two are so closely match right now that moving from one to the other doesn't really make sense unless you really like the other brand a lot more.

Bingocaller
August 18th, 2008, 13:33
What about the Merc 63?

Tony Lam
August 18th, 2008, 14:15
thanks guys:dig:...........well, I think i should keep my RS4 for 2 more years and then exchange for the RS5, but do u guys think that the RS5 will be out by year 2010?:vhmmm: or earlier? so if this is correct then I suppose we'll be able to see the new RS4 in year 2012?? is that right?