PDA

View Full Version : WTF: Audi R8 Blackbird

Damienr8
August 13th, 2008, 23:06
This is just crazy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/13/alex-roy-reviews-his-dream-car-the-audi-r8-blackbird/2#comments

"Alex Roy, currently locked in an M5 with our own Damon Lavric, recently got a video tour of a rather nifty Audi R8 owned by someone who insists he remain nameless. Codenamed Blackbird, the coupe is stuffed with enough gadgets to be a testbed for NASA's shuttle replacement, but don't for a second think the interior resembles a jungle of wires, screens and antennae: all the electronic gear is seamlessly integrated in a most impressive way. A sample of the wares in the blacked out supercar with the gunmetal gray blade include four GPS units, two radar detectors, police scanner, CB radio, kill switch for all rear lights, high-speed broadband Internet with Wi-Fi running on a tablet PC, power ports, takedown lights, a remote-controlled exhaust bypass valve, and -- get this -- a liquid-cooled infrasonic wave pulse generator"

wedouglas
August 13th, 2008, 23:22
This is just crazy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/13/alex-roy-reviews-his-dream-car-the-audi-r8-blackbird/2#comments

"Alex Roy, currently locked in an M5 with our own Damon Lavric, recently got a video tour of a rather nifty Audi R8 owned by someone who insists he remain nameless. Codenamed Blackbird, the coupe is stuffed with enough gadgets to be a testbed for NASA's shuttle replacement, but don't for a second think the interior resembles a jungle of wires, screens and antennae: all the electronic gear is seamlessly integrated in a most impressive way. A sample of the wares in the blacked out supercar with the gunmetal gray blade include four GPS units, two radar detectors, police scanner, CB radio, kill switch for all rear lights, high-speed broadband Internet with Wi-Fi running on a tablet PC, power ports, takedown lights, a remote-controlled exhaust bypass valve, and -- get this -- a liquid-cooled infrasonic wave pulse generator"

In other words, a waste of money.

ringtaxi
August 13th, 2008, 23:34

i am sorry
is it your money hes wasting?

KfabR8
August 13th, 2008, 23:44
All this fancy hardware to avoid getting caught by the cops...

Who wants to bet he crashes trying to outrun them?

Benman
August 14th, 2008, 00:09
I remember as a kid watching "Knight Rider"... don't laugh, I was just a kid. Deep down, most of us have some primal instinct that makes that stuff "appealing". Would I do it? No. What if I had hundreds of millions of dollars? Maybe.

To each his own. But likely, it is not being used for anything productive. The words "drug runner" come to mind. ;) However, I bet George would go for this. :thumb: :D

Ben:addict:

wedouglas
August 14th, 2008, 00:25
All this fancy hardware to avoid getting caught by the cops...

Who wants to bet he crashes trying to outrun them?

Watch the interview with him. At one of the check points, he said he got two tickets on his way. Apparently this stuff isn't as good as it sounds.

ben916
August 14th, 2008, 04:27
I apologize for being a downer BUT, with all that "stuff", motorola still has a proven record. Also that new invention called heli-copter wins also.

That HERF gun (i am assuming that is what it is) that he has can be very harmful for not only him but others. But that is very cool!

Who is George?

Phage
August 14th, 2008, 06:18
I bet when you get in it starts talking and calls you Michael :D

Z07
August 14th, 2008, 09:16
No ALARM anti-radar missiles? Gun pods? EW? Some clear oversights.

http://i38.tinypic.com/332xobs.gif

Bingocaller
August 14th, 2008, 10:56
Gotta loves gadgets!

KfabR8
August 14th, 2008, 12:43
Just what is this liquid-cooled infrasonic wave pulse generator/HERF gun? What does it do? (beside keep you from having children? - which, could be a good thing if used correctly...)

wedouglas
August 14th, 2008, 15:32
Just what is this liquid-cooled infrasonic wave pulse generator/HERF gun? What does it do? (beside keep you from having children? - which, could be a good thing if used correctly...)

The effects of one that size are probably next to nothing. Humans can't really detect them, but I believe there have been studies of them making people feel uneasy. If anything, I think that one would alert animals. Infrasonic waves are usually naturally occurring. Volcanoes are known sources. They produce waves that travel incredibly far distances and can cause damage. However, naturally occurring ones are generally a of magnitude far greater.

Benman
August 14th, 2008, 17:01
No ALARM anti-radar missiles? Gun pods? EW? Some clear oversights.

http://i38.tinypic.com/332xobs.gif

Dude... you just HAD to go and post a Knight Rider link! LOL!!!:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Z07
August 16th, 2008, 16:32
The effects of one that size are probably next to nothing. Humans can't really detect them, but I believe there have been studies of them making people feel uneasy. If anything, I think that one would alert animals. Infrasonic waves are usually naturally occurring. Volcanoes are known sources. They produce waves that travel incredibly far distances and can cause damage. However, naturally occurring ones are generally a of magnitude far greater.

A forward-firing EM pulse generator could be handy for getting vehicles to move over (into a ditch).

wedouglas
August 16th, 2008, 17:09
A forward-firing EM pulse generator could be handy for getting vehicles to move over (into a ditch).

How so? Vehicle electronics undergo tons of EMC testing to ensure that critical things can't be interfered with like that.

MrBucket
August 18th, 2008, 02:57
I dunno about that, he does own the record for driving from NYC to LA at 31 hours and 4 minutes.

ben916
August 18th, 2008, 18:15
I dunno about that, he does own the record for driving from NYC to LA at 31 hours and 4 minutes.

And just how does that impress anyone on the board/forum?

One can only think that the math of such a trip would take a certain average MPH/KPH. Not to say that I am "holier than thou" (if I could spell it correctly), there is no way that he was remotely staying at a safe speed. All those gadgets don't help to put on the brakes any quicker when a 1974 LTD pulls out in front of you doing 65MPH with only one taillight...

Only one word for that "reckless"...

ben916
August 18th, 2008, 18:19

It fries the electronics/electrical of whatever the gun is pointed at. It is like a controlled EMP. No spark, no car workie...

Benman
August 18th, 2008, 18:57
And just how does that impress anyone on the board/forum?

At the risk of blacklisting myself, I've always secretly wanted to beat that record... ;)

ben916
August 18th, 2008, 19:16
Noooooo!!!! Thump... Thump....

Benman just tossed me under the bus...

Can I get a ride to the hospital to get these tire tracks removed??? Anyone? Schmoocher?

Silver State Rally would be good enough for me...

Benman
August 18th, 2008, 19:34
Noooooo!!!! Thump... Thump....

:applause: :applause: ROTFLMAO!!!

Honestly, it is just a dream... not trying to run you over mate. :D

But I completely agree the Silver State would be a worthy substitute. :cheers:

trick
August 19th, 2008, 08:45
Looks to me like a high-spec night vision camera more than anything else.

Loving the car and loving the complete gadget overkill :)

Z07
August 19th, 2008, 10:05
How so? Vehicle electronics undergo tons of EMC testing to ensure that critical things can't be interfered with like that.
Vehicle electronics are proof tested to ensure they work in a nuclear holocaust? Thorough those Audi boys.

The RS6
September 14th, 2008, 16:07
A video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXIzsU3AtBs&fmt=18

ben916
September 15th, 2008, 18:54
Vehicle electronics are proof tested to ensure they work in a nuclear holocaust? Thorough those Audi boys.

Then all the eletronics would MILSPEC and freaking expensive!

A video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXIzsU3AtBs&fmt=18

Repost on the VIDEO...

The problem with a HERF gun is pointing the right way...