PDA

View Full Version : Break-In

Finnus
July 22nd, 2003, 00:25
Yes, there is a break-in period!

I asked my salesman twice regarding break-in instructions and was told that there were none and that it was done by Cosgrove before the engine even reached Germany. Imagine my surprise last night when I stumbled across page 190 of the manual (after I put 700 miles on the Beast):

"The first 1,000 miles - and afterwards

Break-in period

During the first few hours of driving [presumably the first few hours of your baby's life, not every time you drive], the engine's internal friction is higher than later when all of the moving parts have been broken in. How well this break-in process is done depends to a considerable extent on the way the vehicle is driven during the first 1,000 miles.

For the first 600 miles:

As a rule of thumb:

* Do not use full throttle
* Do not drive faster than 3/4 of top speed shown on the speedometer [in other words, no more than 150 mph!]
* Avoid high engine speeds

From 600 to 1,000 miles

Speeds can gradually be increased to maximum permissible road or engine speed.

During and after break-in period

Do not rev engine to high speeds when it is cold. This applies whether the car is in neutral or in gear."

My comments are in brackets [Finnus :cheers:]

PS Thank God I didn't run the 1/4 mile at Waterfest on Saturday! There were a lot of people there that wanted me to.

:addict: :addict: :addict:

jconley
July 22nd, 2003, 00:28
Drive it like you stole it! I don't believe in break-ins :)

Finnus
July 22nd, 2003, 01:04
Drive it like you stole it! I don't believe in break-ins

LOL

However, better safe than sorry.

Benman
July 22nd, 2003, 03:11
Finnus,

as much as i'd like to listen to jconley, i'm going to properly break in mine as well as i plan to keep mine for a LOOOOOOOONNNG time!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Finnus
July 22nd, 2003, 03:56
i'm going to properly break in mine as well as i plan to keep mine for a LOOOOOOOONNNG time!

Ben, I agree.

Drive it like you stole it! !

JCon,

I agree - after the break-in.

eph94
July 22nd, 2003, 08:59
Originally posted by jconley

I guess this depends if I lease or buy. Redline baby redline! In my younger days, I took a Honda sport bike to the redline early and often (i.e. immediately off the lot). I also dropped it and cracked the faring during my first hour of ownership. :race:

Maybe I won't be so reckless with the :addict: . Time in jail doesn't sound very appealing.

jconley
July 22nd, 2003, 11:43
All I know is my friends all have an over/under on how long before i get my first ticket. Sad thing is ther over/under is 24 hours!!!!

They have no faith :)

J

Finnus
July 22nd, 2003, 12:18
My family has started a pool for how long until my first ticket. LOL

My response was I'm equiping the Beast with the best radar detection and laser jamming available. My sister suggested I try observing speed limits. Right.

JJV-MA - "Drive it like you stole it" reminds me of Frank Amorosso's article on the S-cars.org website where a bunch of journalists got to drive RS6s and they just beat the s--t out of them. I agree with the lease/own distinction. If were leasing it, I'd view it as not mine.

Personally, I purchased the car. And I have to beleive that the Audi engineers who wrote the break-in instructions know what they're talking about. Besides, whats 1,000 miles? It's nothing. If it gives your car the slightest advantage, why wouldn't you?

:cheers: to all,

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

GoFastKindaGuy
July 22nd, 2003, 15:23
Here is my philosophy:
Respect fine machinery.
Respect subsequent owners.
Treat 'em right and they will treat you right.
Athletes warm up, compete, cool down and are properly nourished.
So too with cars.

:roll:

RS6FEVR
July 22nd, 2003, 15:25
Here Here and well said GoFast! :D :D

:addict: FEVR :addict:

Benman
July 22nd, 2003, 15:38
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy
Here is my philosophy:
Respect fine machinery.
Respect subsequent owners.
Treat 'em right and they will treat you right.
Athletes warm up, compete, cool down and are properly nourished.
So too with cars.

:roll:
nicely put:cheers:

Ben:addict:

TheBrit
July 22nd, 2003, 16:26
I can vouch for breaking the engine in working. Of course I can't vouch that not breaking it in would harm it, but... :)

It's not really that hard to do - I just kept the revs to below 4000rpm until I had over 1000 miles on the clock, and I never rev above 3300rpm until the oil has warmed up (I think this is more important than a 1000 mile break-in).

The RS 6 is so quick even held to the bottom half of the rev range that you'll still be going faster than most cars on the road! :D

srosie
July 25th, 2003, 20:14
Imho, not varying the rpm's is the worst of all. Goose it a little from time to time. Don't over do it. Ring seating important.

dubya
July 25th, 2003, 21:26
I thought too that varying the RPM's during break in was important....I wouldn't spend a lot of time at higher RPM's, but I heard that you should break in a car with a good range of driving conditions...

I wouldn't go to redline, or WOT from a stop, but I wouldn't be too concerned with going over 4000 rpm's either. Just my opinion....

Kyle
July 26th, 2003, 02:48
Originally posted by jconley

OK, everyone who's check engine light has come on in their new RS6, please raise your hands... :eek: :p ;)

I've been babying it and varying the RPM's. It's got way more power than most without putting my foot in it. After 1,000 all bets are off! :devil:

TheBrit
July 26th, 2003, 11:59
Originally posted by srosie
Imho, not varying the rpm's is the worst of all.
I should probably add that my commute run is on quite a winding country road, so I got lots of opportunity to run up and down the rev range (within the limits I set myself!) during break-in.

After 7 months, I still am amazed by the pull of this car.