PDA

View Full Version : Hood Vents / Lip Spoilers Installed

HeadShot
August 10th, 2008, 05:15
So its finally all done. As an up date to the lip spoilers i made them with Delron plugs molded into them so i could screw them in to the bumper from the back - had to pull the bumper for the install. Marked the holes on the spoilers with tooth paste then held against bumper to taped guide marks then drilled. too easy.
Offshoretomorrow so will miss the big Euro car event in SD. (my boss is a total DK)
Best regards to all - srry i can't make it. Hope all enjoy the pics. - Rushed again, i did the install today and it wasn't easy.

H.S baby... my Beast is now an exclusive.

:cheers:

DuckWingDuck
August 10th, 2008, 05:43
Nick, great lookin' photos! How long you out to sea? Drop me an email.

mmaturo
August 10th, 2008, 06:24
Nice work! I really like the lip extensions...excellent job with shaping those...and if you decide to ever make more sign me up. What you need next is wheels like mine, the titanium finish 19s 5 spokes. Great job.

DuckWingDuck
August 10th, 2008, 15:09
mmaturo, sounds like you're maybe thinking about not trading your RS6 in anymore? ;)

Fonzie Audi
August 10th, 2008, 19:09
head - looks awesome. you should feel very proud of your work. let me know the size of the check i need to write to get a hood like that.:hihi:

very well done. very exclusive.

mmaturo
August 11th, 2008, 02:45
mmaturo, sounds like you're maybe thinking about not trading your RS6 in anymore? ;)

You are correct sir...trade in was just too sh$tty to give up this car...driving mine into the ground. Wanted the S5 but oh well...I think i will live with still one of the most awesome cars ever made...shucks...RNSE #2 going back in again with bluetooth this time. Maybe time to smoke the tails.

Benman
August 11th, 2008, 17:31
I think i will live with still one of the most awesome cars ever made.
Not to mention the first RS ever to hit the States. That is special to me.

Headshot, I think it came out very nice. Would love to see it in person. :cheers:

It was verrrry lonely being the only RS 6 at the So Cal Euro meet... :cry:

Ben:addict:

DuckWingDuck
August 11th, 2008, 17:36
You are correct sir...trade in was just too sh$tty to give up this car...driving mine into the ground. Wanted the S5 but oh well...I think i will live with still one of the most awesome cars ever made...shucks...RNSE #2 going back in again with bluetooth this time. Maybe time to smoke the tails.

Man, sorry to hear about the cruddy trade-in. Even further proof that a certain duck type person paid way too much money for his RS6. At least I got my tax write-off for last year and have paid the car off, but still. Ouch! The small consolation is that you still get an awesome car and I think the right emotional choice ;)

Spidercat
August 11th, 2008, 22:58
Great looking splitters and hood. Nice and shiny, too! Let me know if/when you make more splitters.

gregoryindiana
August 12th, 2008, 02:37
I am with the "I would pay for this on my car" crowd. It looks very nice.
Too bad you had to do it all yourself, in the sense that someone doing it for profit would certainly want to leverage his expertise to do more. The toughest part of the learning curve would be behind him. And the $$$ would keep it pretty exclusive anyway, I would think. Nothing like that anywere here in Indiana, course I bet there are only 4 or 5 stock RS6's in the state anyway. I've never seen another here. The last one I saw besides my own was in Jackson, Wyoming about 3 Februarys ago.

ben916
August 12th, 2008, 04:57
Not to mention the first RS ever to hit the States. That is special to me.

Headshot, I think it came out very nice. Would love to see it in person. :cheers:

It was verrrry lonely being the only RS 6 at the So Cal Euro meet... :cry:

I was there and looked in the lot 3X!

My best friend had his Triumph TR6 there and we kinda hanging around it.

Were you wearing a crew racing type shirt?

A photo of a very clean S5 and another of a carbon hood with quick release that DWD or Benman was writing about...

Benman
August 12th, 2008, 21:34
I was there and looked in the lot 3X!

Were you wearing a crew racing type shirt?

Must have been another guy with a shaved head. :D

ben916
August 12th, 2008, 22:42
Must have been another guy with a shaved head. :D

or were you at the Hotchkiss booth?

aarong
August 13th, 2008, 01:36
if I could magically keep mine, I'd do this in a heartbeat. beautiful work.

HeadShot
August 16th, 2008, 07:27
thxs for the kind words guys... cost for me to do a hood is 3K. Spoilers.. i'm reluctant as i like a factory fit and would be nervous about that fit on another car.. screwing them on took up any gaps and i haven't used any gap filler - looks perfect...
Would have to do the hood / lips painted so color match is an issue although as its the hood i think ya get away with alot more.
I'd need to see big demand before i went for a run on lip spoilers... as for the hood 3K U.S + shipping... rear vent optional... 300$less if no. I'll have temp results when i get back from offshore.
If your seriously thinking about getting a hood my schedual sucks... will take about 3 months.

H.S
(lips maybe 1K - they are a hassel i really don't want... if it was easy you'd already have a set !!)

Relentless
August 23rd, 2008, 11:47
i for one think they look great:applause:

top job

Boosted-Bora
August 23rd, 2008, 15:45
im in for a hood but you dont have to worry about paint as I have a body shop just none of my fabricators want to make a hood for me

HeadShot
September 2nd, 2008, 17:59
Started with air temp at 21'c, vents taped up. Engine oil temp up to about 225 with hard driving. Stayed there - On the Ac read out sensor 34 was 92'

Stopped to uncover vents - was going to just do one set at a time (front + back) but the tape was getting very soft. Removed all tape - vents clear.
Another 30minutes hard driving - engine oil temp dropped to 200'. Sensor 34 went down to 90. When not moving this number goes up to 96 + on both covered or uncovered.
Just missed 3 speeding tickets - god bless radar D's. And was happily reminded just how rapidly we can get from 60mph to 100... damn.
If anyone has a better way of getting some temp readings please let me know in detail and i'll be happy to get more info.

H.S

DuckWingDuck
September 2nd, 2008, 19:29
temperature sensors!

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Automotive-Multimeter-Inductive-Temperature/dp/B000T93MX4/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1220380560&sr=8-21

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tech-Non-Contact-TT1610-Temperature/dp/B0018DESPQ/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1220380560&sr=8-18

http://www.amazon.com/Springfield-Instruments-Remote-Temperature-Waterproof/dp/B000W6GNRG/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1220380560&sr=8-27

There are more heavy duty ones but the infrared one is especially sexy.

Mr Balsen
September 2nd, 2008, 22:41
with the MTM hood vents, the gain is 20 celsius degrees on the oil temp. And I agree they are not pretty but very efficient...

Frederic

itchingtogo
September 4th, 2008, 14:32
Well he got 25c out of it so thats even better, working and looking.

PS hope he made it thru the storm oK! Check in and let us know!

RS6-Croatia
September 8th, 2008, 18:34
Started with air temp at 21'c, vents taped up. Engine oil temp up to about 225 with hard driving. Stayed there - On the Ac read out sensor 34 was 92'

Stopped to uncover vents - was going to just do one set at a time (front + back) but the tape was getting very soft. Removed all tape - vents clear.
Another 30minutes hard driving - engine oil temp dropped to 200'. Sensor 34 went down to 90. When not moving this number goes up to 96 + on both covered or uncovered.
Just missed 3 speeding tickets - god bless radar D's. And was happily reminded just how rapidly we can get from 60mph to 100... damn.
If anyone has a better way of getting some temp readings please let me know in detail and i'll be happy to get more info.

H.S

Can you get your hands on Rosstech Vag Com ??

I have noticed that real values are way from the ones on our gagues...

HeadShot
September 8th, 2008, 19:33
Yeah.. i have one. I was not sure - can i run this on the fly... in motion to monitor rise / fall of temps etc.. or do i need to be stopped. That sounds like a terrible question... ugg.
Any help...
Offshore for another 2 weeks.. then i'll run some tests.

DuckWingDuck
September 8th, 2008, 20:35
ya i think vagcom can run in real time, get a fast computer for all the data logging! Heh.

RS6-Croatia
September 9th, 2008, 07:11
Yes, you can run it on realtime..

Actulay you dont need a fast computer at all...

Depending wich interface you have (hex-can usb or Hex can com) you cen set "turbo" options once when you enter a chanel 2 on "real values" section..

from chanel 001 to 007 there are some interesting data like coolant temperature (once i head a reading of 102 Celsius and my gouge was still in exactly mid 90!) intake air temperature (middle value calculated based on MAF, intake manifold temperature sensor and EXTERIOR temperture sensor ) this data is REALY important for our ECU`s since they are calculating firing advance and mixture based on this data also first set of lambda sensos (cecond set of lambda sensors is used to check catalitic efect) anyhow... once i have relocated my exterior sensor temperture (normaly instaled on a driverside in front of oil cooler) to air supply chanel for my driverside intercooler.. Rsults was amazing...
When i stoped in stop-and go trafic i get a outside reading of about 45 Celsius when realistic was about 28.. When i start driving, i get back to 29 and driving experience and avilable torque was noticable different, so this sensor greatly efect a car performance... (and i was quite sure it was ONLY to show outside temperature...) I am still searching for perfect spot for this sensor... maybe a driver side mirror could be good one...

Mr Balsen
September 9th, 2008, 09:37
Thanks RS6-Croatia for the explanations.
Can you provide some pictures of the relocation of the sensor ?

Frederic

p3u
January 14th, 2009, 03:08
Thought I would bump this thread.

Has there been any progress on selling these hoods or is it still a one off? I would love to get rid of heatsoak on my beast!

DHall1
January 14th, 2009, 04:17
I think more important is 3 replies up.

Relocate the temp sensor into the intercooler duct.

HMMMM

Thought I would bump this thread.

Has there been any progress on selling these hoods or is it still a one off? I would love to get rid of heatsoak on my beast!

p3u
January 14th, 2009, 06:28
I want to reduce the engine temperature, relocating the sensor doesn't do that lol.

Erik
January 14th, 2009, 07:03
I want to reduce the engine temperature, relocating the sensor doesn't do that lol.

Bummer :p

grizz
January 14th, 2009, 07:38
The original project had to be shelved as the guy who was backing the project was killed on his motor bike.

I'm now in the position to start it again so i'll post back in a few days .

Grizz

RS6C5
January 14th, 2009, 07:53
So,

The ECU reads the Ambient Temperature sensor and uses that to determine the fuel, timing maps it uses?

Not to sound like someone who doesnt believe you but can someone else suppourt this? If so I will move mine 100%!

I was under the impression the ECU used the IAT and Coolant Sensors for MAP selection not the Ambient Temperature Sesnor also.

Cheers

garbi
August 12th, 2010, 17:03
hi

i want to put in the lip spoilers and yours look great.
do you still have the dimensions on them ? it would make my life a bit easier

thanks
garbi

Casey
August 14th, 2010, 19:47
This thread is like a year plus old. i dont even know if some of these guys still have their cars, but those lips were nice.

ben916
August 14th, 2010, 22:53
There is a thread on those "lips" and I am not sure Headshot produced several/any for anyone else but there was a mock-up for it.
Search on Headshot or all of his posts...

HeadShot
August 16th, 2010, 21:41
hope this helps some. I may still do a run on these if there were enough people interested.

covertw12
August 16th, 2010, 21:54
I'd be in for a set for sure..... I'm also interested in the hood concept, living in Florida I can use all the help with heat soak that I can find....

~cheers~

E

DHall1
August 17th, 2010, 05:45
Did you see the thread from V8weight?

Try the RS600 under tray scoop first. Takes 2hr and no holes in the hood.

I'd be in for a set for sure..... I'm also interested in the hood concept, living in Florida I can use all the help with heat soak that I can find....

~cheers~

E

RS6Steve
August 19th, 2010, 11:06
Did you see the thread from V8weight?

Try the RS600 under tray scoop first. Takes 2hr and no holes in the hood.

I did this mod after reading it on here and my god does it shift some heat out. Am looking at a Hood mod now but not sure what to do as of yet.

It works great

covertw12
August 19th, 2010, 14:19
Think I'll buy a spare to try it - haven't fully gotten my head around the potential water splashing issue but suspect that's not a big deal in reality.....

Driving down from Chicago in 95+ heat I was amazed at how well the car ran..... but when I'd stop to get gas you could see the heat coming off the hood....

But IF i were to do a hood this looks tenfold better then the MTM labotomy......

~cheers

E

RS6Steve
August 19th, 2010, 14:38
After speaking to several people about it apparently the RS2 has this type of vent as standard

kilian tuning
March 16th, 2012, 10:02
what happens when its raining cats and dogs with those bonnet vents? does your enginebay becomes very wet?

Benman
March 16th, 2012, 15:58
what happens when its raining cats and dogs with those bonnet vents? does your enginebay becomes very wet? Although I live in an area where that is rarely a problem, I'd like to know that answer as well. :cheers:

Brav
March 16th, 2012, 21:25
I had a vented hood on my M6. was never a problem. always COULD be.. but the vents were right over the airboxes on either side, not much to soak.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/ckreidel/M6/DSC07394.jpg

Jimmy Joe
March 17th, 2012, 03:49
I just took of the under shield completly to do the RS 6000 cooling mods and the engine runs way, way cooler, so cool in fact, that I'm still to reinstall the under shield. Now, I know this car is low, and so is the alternator and some belts, So I ask you, have you had any experience running your cars like that? or. do you have any ideas why this shouldn't work for every day use, city/hwy ? All comments are welcome.

dab
March 18th, 2012, 13:10
I am with the "I would pay for this on my car" crowd. It looks very nice.
Too bad you had to do it all yourself, in the sense that someone doing it for profit would certainly want to leverage his expertise to do more. The toughest part of the learning curve would be behind him. And the $$$ would keep it pretty exclusive anyway, I would think. Nothing like that anywere here in Indiana, course I bet there are only 4 or 5 stock RS6's in the state anyway. I've never seen another here. The last one I saw besides my own was in Jackson, Wyoming about 3 Februarys ago.

Come to Indianapolis and you will see another rs/6. Sorry a little off topic, love the spoiler lips