PDA

View Full Version : Just test drove the new LP560. Impressions.

wedouglas
August 9th, 2008, 20:48
Figured I'd post this because the V10 R8 will be nearly identical.

Just a short post about my experience with it. Focuses mainly on my complaints.

So I took a test drive in the new LP560. Totally awesome car. I thought E-gear was excellent. Shifts were quick enough for me in Corsa, Sport was smoother but still fast enough, and Auto was, well, auto. No reason to use Auto in my opinion, but whatever, it's there for cell phone driving perhaps.

I did have a few issues with it though, but perhaps there is a reason for it. I was cruising in 4th and wanted to see what the shift was like when going to second. I tapped it twice quickly, but it put me in third. I didn't think I was too high into 4th, so I'm not sure what happened. Can you not do this? Maybe I didn't hit it hard enough one time.

Also, I always thought it was odd that the paddles on the R8 were fixed to the wheel, but when I drove this (my first E-gear experence,) I realized why. I was in a nice, smooth corner at moderate speed, and I wanted to downshift. Unfortunately, my wheel was turned to a position in which I couldn't shift without letting go of the wheel with one hand. I drive 3/9, so it was awkward. I was told that the car will downshift for you in all modes when using the brakes, but it didn't do it when I thought it should.

Auto mode also didn't shift to higher gears when cruising. Where I would normally be in 6th gear when relaxing and cruising, it was 4th and didn't upshift. Because of this, unless there was some reason for it, I would never use Auto.

Even with some of these issues, I really think I could give up a 6-speed manual for it. Even though the Scuderia may shift in 60 ms, and the GTR/M3 have DSG, this was plenty fast. I also like the slight kick from it. DSG, though I haven't tried it, is apparently as smooth as an auto, and I don't think I'd like that. I like a little kick in the ass.

Exhaust note was sublime, especially when taking it up to redline. Acceleration was awesome and definitely faster than a standard G. I didn't launch it, as it was actually a dealer car, not a manufacturer demo, and I didn't feel the need to rag on their car and what would possibly be a future customer. Faster than an SL? Don't know, as I've never driven one. However, even if the SL is just as fast, the performance bundled with amenities really makes the SL obsolete IMO (based on paper,) though they are getting might cheap.

Now, the car felt exactly like my R8, just faster. One would be hard pressed to find any differences other than the engines. All of the electronics in the car are the same. Same LED (but color,) Nav system is exactly the same but with a different button layout, not sure about the stereo options. The levers and such all did the same things as far as I used them. It really is the same car inside too, with some cosmetic changes.

I did have some minor complaints. The rear view camera didn't have guiding lines or distance markers imposed on the image. This doesn't make sense to me because the R8 has them and the implementation is purely software. You just need software to monitor the steering input. No reason why it shouldn't be there. Also, it didn't have beeping sensors. This makes even less sense. The R8 has them in front and back, and they are very helpful. This is kind of lame, because just about every car these days has sensors. No excuse. I also didn't see an AUX port, but maybe I missed it. They have an iPod package anyway, so no big deal. I also don't get why they removed some of the R8 features like est. MPG and miles left on the tank. I clicked the menu button a cycled through the menus, which were the same (lap timer etc) but some things weren't there.

Overall, it's an awesome car. Though this posts focuses more on the issues I had with it, it's because everything else struck me as excellent. If I didn't mention it, it was fine or great, or I didn't encounter it.

The sticker was $240K and had a lot of options. I didn't notice anything missing other than the iPod thing. Wheels were the black ones. Looked fantastic, but I prefer the apollos. No real comments on cost because it doesn't really matter and you can decide if it's worth it. If you want a car that looks like a Lamborghini, prepare to pay for it.

When I get the V10 R8 I'll try them out side by side. As it stands now, the LP's power advantage is obvious and needed, but is nearly identical in it's other characteristics. When both are out, I'm guessing it will come down to style preference and price.

crespo
August 9th, 2008, 21:07
re: paddles on wheel/steering column - it's universally recognized that the paddles are in better position on the column instead of the wheel, since you will always know where the paddles are. You'll have to take the hand off the wheel, but that's a small price to pay for knowing exactly where the paddle is all the time.

good read, thanks!

wedouglas
August 9th, 2008, 21:15
re: paddles on wheel/steering column - it's universally recognized that the paddles are in better position on the column instead of the wheel, since you will always know where the paddles are. You'll have to take the hand off the wheel, but that's a small price to pay for knowing exactly where the paddle is all the time.

good read, thanks!

True, but I never find myself making turns that involve the wheel upside down unless I'm parking or making a very tight turn (u-turn on narrow road.) With may hands at 3/9, I can accomplish nearly everything. In those cases where I do have 180+ degrees turned, I don't have to make split second decisions and fast shifts. I can take my time. However, when turning at higher speeds, I like both hands on the wheel.

crespo
August 10th, 2008, 01:05
Oh I agree that it's better for everyday use to have it on the steering wheel, I was just clearing that up :D

Leadfoot
August 10th, 2008, 16:05
I still think that the Audi R8 V10 will be the better car to own long term. It might not be as quick but I won't be surprised to find that it will lap the quicker.

Considering that there is the Gallardo, R8 and the Murcielago I am amazed that Audi haven't developed a DSG for all of these models, there is surely enough sales to warrant the option.

Z07
August 10th, 2008, 18:21
You posted this without pictures? Ban!

Good write-up.:)

wedouglas
August 10th, 2008, 18:50
You posted this without pictures? Ban!

Good write-up.:)

Meh, it looks like all the other white LP560's.

Z07
August 10th, 2008, 19:35
Meh, it looks like all the other white LP560's.
Yeah, I know what you mean, my girlfriend looks just like all the other naked Jessica Albas.

RXBG
August 10th, 2008, 20:08
good post. veru insightful. i am sure audi blessed the gayardo with all the R8's handling talents. curiously, though, i understand the LP doesn't have the magnetic ride option as it is reserved for the R8. could you comment?

i think the V10 R8 will feel much the same except for the option of the manual transmission. something tells me the V10 R8 will handle better and produce faster ring times because of the magnetic suspension and that the torque curve will be fatter than the LP's as a consequence of a lower hp total.

240K for an LP vs ~150K for a V10 R8. that is a no brainer. ring time > guido status in my book. and the audi will still turn more heads. i'll keep the 90K and get an S8 for my wife.

KresoF1
August 11th, 2008, 14:42
In the next issue of German Sport Auto Supertest of LP560-4 will be published. Hockenheim and Ring time are nothing special... Car was equiped with Corsa tires and sport suspension.

Regarding R8 V10 current indication is that intro will be on LA show.

RXBG
August 11th, 2008, 15:16
i wouldn't mind an LA show introduction. i am almost more excited to see an A7 concept, a car that, if not too far from production, i might be able to talk my wife into rather than a Q7. the paris show would be well done with the new S4, RS6 sedan, and a concept.

besides, i hear the production LFA is not too far from being introduced. and an NSX pre prod concept too.

Leadfoot
August 11th, 2008, 15:59
In the next issue of German Sport Auto Supertest of LP560-4 will be published. Hockenheim and Ring time are nothing special... Car was equiped with Corsa tires and sport suspension.

Regarding R8 V10 current indication is that intro will be on LA show.

I'm hearing mid 7:40s but have no idea on the Hockenheim, what are we to expect, 1:12.3s or higher?

Given the talk that the rumours are that Audi are looking the R8V10 to beat the ZR1 and GTR times, does that mean that SA will be getting the R8 to post a time of 7:35+ or is all this talk just wishful think from the marketing guys and hold no bases in truth.

Bodhii
August 11th, 2008, 16:29
i understand the LP doesn't have the magnetic ride option as it is reserved for the R8. could you comment?
If the LP doesn't have the Audi Magnetic Ride, there is NO way it will handle the SAME as an R8 on a track. I'm sure that the LP has its own special suspension setup, ... but the R8 with the magnetic ride disengaged, handles not very well at all. The magnetic ride is the deciding factor for the R8 on a track,... much like the transmission with its superb gearing, makes the GT-R standout as such a wonderful beast.

I'm an old Porsche guy, but I truly love the R8, and it is really a most wonderful track car. But make no mistake about it, the R8 gets so much of its unique and wonderful characteristics from this excellent magnetic ride system.

http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/THT6RRNJ.jpg

Benman
August 11th, 2008, 17:34
good post. veru insightful.

240K for an LP vs ~150K for a V10 R8. that is a no brainer.

100% correct!

Ben:addict:

Ricoloco
August 11th, 2008, 20:42
100% correct!

Not really. So now I´ve got no brain. :brag:

Benman
August 11th, 2008, 22:08
Not really. So now I´ve got no brain. :brag: I think RXBG and I may be more buget minded. :) No offense intended. :asian:

Bodhii
August 11th, 2008, 22:34
Video: Drag Race ( not too important with these kinds of cars.)
LP640 vs Nissan GT-R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZELtr761FxE&eurl=http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-08/08-12-08page-Lamborghini-LP640-Vs-Nissan-GT-R.htm

RXBG
August 12th, 2008, 13:53
i'd hope the LP would win. it's going to be dead even between the V10 R8 and the GTR in a drag race.

btw- now that the RS6 sedan and updated A6 are out the coast is clear for a V10 R8 debut in Paris and the new S4. that can leave an A7 concept for LA perhaps. i don't see the TT R till geneve....