PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear gushes with glowing comments for the RS 6

StanYau
August 9th, 2008, 17:37
In the latest issue of Top Gear Magazine, the team took out a bunch of high-performance cars to the Isle of Man, where the magazine crew were allowed to drive on stretches of closed-off roads with no speed limits.

Included in the group were the likes of a Lambo LP560-4, a Porsche 911 GT2, the Merc CLK AMG Black, a Nissan GT-R, an Aston Martin DBS and some others. And of course, the RS 6 Avant.

I'm not going to repeat the whole article (it's some 37 pages long!), but some choice quotes:

"...whenever it was rainy or bumpy, the RS6 was the car that we drove the fastest - GT-R included. Spooky ability."

"Yet the RS6 - a car Tom Ford, the big hairy fool, described as 'boring' in issue 176 - proceeds to decimate day two's closed mountain road. In fact, it doesn't so much decimate it, as peel the tarmac off the road, wave it about above its head, then chuck it down the hillside like some rampaging warrior. The RS6 is so powerful and has such a vast canyon of torque, it's practically a geological phenomenon. It accelerates with such relentless ferocity that it causes the Isle of Man to spin round so that the Calf of Man in the south swaps places with the Point of Ayre in the north. It is very fast. Very."

"Subjectively, I got in the thing last [the RS6], having thrashed seven shades of you-know-what out of all the other contenders along the same bit of road, and almost immediately went a full 10mph faster. Than any of the others, GT-R, GT2 and DBS included. More importantly, I really enjoyed it. Result."

And Jason Barlow's final thought: "... except for the RS6 which, as I keep saying, is the new real-world champion."

Ah yes - did I mention my delivery date got bumped up...? Instead of Oct/Nov - it's now, er..., a couple of weeks away. The dealership already have it here - we're just getting the paperwork out of the way for a 1st Sep delivery! :)

Leadfoot
August 9th, 2008, 17:50
I read it too, yes they were more than impressed with the beast. It's great to hear (as we already know) that away from the track is where the Quattro system shows it's metal. It's Audi's approach to chassis tuning that brings the kind of confidence that allows for the greater ground coverage over all of the others.

Oh yeah, plus that mighty engine.

DuckWingDuck
August 9th, 2008, 18:54
How much for an issue with postage to the US?

grizz
August 10th, 2008, 11:10
DWD , I've had s look at there web site, It's £85 for 12 issues delivered.

If you want one i can get it today, I don't think the postage would be much .
G

mdk
August 10th, 2008, 17:46
StanYau thanks for the info.
Can you tell us which issue of Top Gear magazine is this latest one?

PeterJohn
August 10th, 2008, 18:19
Too bad it wasn't JC that tested the RS6 on the TV show. The other two hosts aren't quite as good when it comes to indiviual test reports.

DuckWingDuck
August 10th, 2008, 18:26
grizz, cheers mate! I've PM'ed you my address!

grizz
August 10th, 2008, 18:39
DWD , PM Sent...

DuckWingDuck
August 10th, 2008, 18:45
:) Good looks!

Leadfoot
August 11th, 2008, 16:09
Much as I like the TOPGEAR TV show I find the magazine less than entertaining, if you want to be informed correctly and get a more meaningful opinion you are best to look at EVO or Driver Repiblic(Website).

EVO is the only one I subscribe to.

Benman
August 11th, 2008, 17:26
How much for an issue with postage to the US?
Just go to Barnes & Noble. Can get the issue for @$9.00.

Ben:addict:

DuckWingDuck
August 11th, 2008, 17:38
ROFL, seriously? Had no idea.

grizz
August 11th, 2008, 17:57
O well it's sent .

DuckWingDuck
August 11th, 2008, 18:02
no worries, a genuine copy from across the shores is well worth it!

Benman
August 11th, 2008, 19:18
ROFL, seriously? Had no idea. Sorry I did not reply sooner. :D

You can also pick up CAR & EVO there. ;)

ZCD2.7T
August 13th, 2008, 14:45
ROFL, seriously? Had no idea.

If it makes you feel any better, B&N doesn't have this issue yet. I know, because I tried to buy it last night, but all they had was the August issue.

FWIW, I subscribe to "EVO", which is the BEST car magazine I've ever read, period. Nothing else is even a close second. The writing, photography and graphic design are all of astoundingly good quality. IIRC, 12 months is about $80, but it's well worth it.

"Top Gear", by comparison, is a jumbled mess of a magazine, but I WILL buy this new copy when it's available just for the RS 6 content.

Damienr8
August 13th, 2008, 15:27
Sounds Fantastic. Thanks for the excerpt from the article.

Benman
August 13th, 2008, 19:55
If it makes you feel any better, B&N doesn't have this issue yet. I know, because I tried to buy it last night, but all they had was the August issue.

FWIW, I subscribe to "EVO", which is the BEST car magazine I've ever read, period. Nothing else is even a close second.

B&N tends to be a couple months behind on the British mags. And yes, EVO is a far superior mag. :cheers:

DuckWingDuck
August 13th, 2008, 20:09
I subscribe to too many magazines already, every time I go home it's like a stack of magazines for me to go through!

Benman
August 13th, 2008, 20:28
I subscribe to too many magazines already, every time I go home it's like a stack of magazines for me to go through! Yep, I just "recycled" @ 400....