PDA

View Full Version : Time to make my RS6 a beast - some guidance woudl be appreciated

KfabR8
August 7th, 2008, 18:16
Hello to the board, new guy here. (I hate being a newbie! Oh well...)

I've been informed that this is the place to come for those of us that want to make our beloved RS6's a bit more beastly.

Right now mine is bone stock and I'm wanting to do a full face lift. It will be entirely street oriented - no track time at all. Urban Assault Vehicle. (UAV)

So, where to start?

I've done a lot of searching on this board, Audizine, Audi Forums & Audi World, so please don't tell me go use the search function (yea, yea, someone will tell the Newbie "Hey dumbass, there's a search button, use it!").

I'm attempting to get as much info from the members of this board that have the experience I'm looking for into one place so I can weigh all the options and make a, hopefully intelligent, decision on the mods to do. I'll take the info and put it on a web page as I do the work - to share w/anyone else that may be in my present shoes (uh - flip flops. I don't like shoes)

I'm totally new to the idea of screwing around with my on road vehicle. Never stepped over that line. I'm totally capable of doing the work, as I design, fabricate, build and race my own stuff for the off road world. I just don't know where to start for the street stuff? I'm clueless.

Engine: Chip, maybe exhaust
I'm hearing that the GIAC works well - and it includes the tranny system also, which needs to be addressed.
What other chips are available, what do they offer, what sort of gains, do they manage the tranny too?

Exhaust - Milltek seems to be one that pops up fairly often.
Who else and what are the gains?

What sort of turbo issues can I start to expect? I have 37K on my RS - most of them have been fairly agressive (why have an RS and drive like a weenie?).

Suspension: Shocks, springs roll bar upgrade
The DRC (Demon Riddled Catastrophy) system is down for the third time - it's time for it to do it's Elvis impersonation and leave the building.

I keep reading about Eibach SSSP9 (SSP9? - somethign with s's and p's) and rumors of an SSSP10. Some seem to like them, some not so much. Is it that the system requires a bit of tinkering with to get set up correctly? - those that are not happy, haven't taken the time and effort to do it? -hell, that's 90% of off road. Suspension's fun and easy!

So what are the pro's & con's of the Eibach systems?

Who else is making suspension components for the RS6?

What about springs? Do the shocks come with them? What rate are people using? What rate is the car set up with from Audi?

A stiffer rate spring w/less preload would yield a softer initial ride (road ride), but stiffen up more quickly for aggressive driving. Has anyone tried that? If so, what sort of results have been seen?

How about roll bars? Who makes them, what adjustabilities are offered, etc.

Interior: Move on up to an RNS-E setup. (Does this still work w/XM radio?)
After doing some research on this and a couple other boards, I believe I've found an RNS-E kit that will drop right in. That part should be easy.

Wheels: Probably put my R8's rims on it if they'll fit and then stick winter sneakers on the stock RS6 rims.

I haven't been able to find out if the rims off the R8 (19x8.5 38mm offset & 19x10.5 40mm offset - I believe) will fit the RS6. Would there be an issue with running different width rims front/rear on the RS? Should I look for a second set of front R8 rims to put on the back of the RS?

Switching to a 19, I want to make sure that I end up with the same outer diameter as the stock 18 RS wheels. So, what sizes are you guys running in either a Michelin or Bridgestone on a 19" rim?

I'll take any advise that you guys want to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DuckWingDuck
August 7th, 2008, 19:21
Welcome once again! Here are some thoughts....

Engine: You've got a couple choices here, being that I'm in Irvine and my service advisor knows Garrett personally, I am leaning heavily towards GIAC but FWIW, it doesn't seem like GIAC gets a whole lot of love on the boards, there's a tuner out of Australia called DNA that someone on here has. Quite a number have gone with the MTM tune but Revo also gets a lot of love for its versatility though I am told that these days, everybody offers a "selector", i.e. the ability to change the ECU mapping program. An important component if you do go with an ECU upgrade is to also get an update to the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) for remapping to handle the increased power. Hell, quite a few have gotten the TCU upgrade without the ECU and reported very positive results. Gains across all the various vendors from what I can gather all seem to be very comparable.

Exhaust: As you mention Milltek is pretty much the most popular one but Hy Octane went with a local guy (http://www.labreemotorsports.com/) and it sounds absolutely amazing! Vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_GYHpj8cT0

Turbo: Most have not reported a problem with theirs, in fact, there are more people talking about getting their transmission swapped than turbo replaced though just recently we've had two turbo leaking, my own service advisor told me that mine is starting to show a little bit of leakage so it probably won't be long before I have my turbos replaced (I'm at 60K).

Suspension: As you've seen first hand, the DRC is quite spectacularly bad and in fact, my most recent road, er.. issue, is more than likely the result of a shoddy DRC (http://pictures.twilightstar.net/v/greg/rs6/tyre). The PSS9 has been reported to have noise (squeaking) concerns and most are staying away from it, common options are Stasis, and KWv3 with the KWV3 being the most popular.

Hotchkis makes a set of sway bars and everyone who's gotten them installed have said very good things about them, http://www.hotchkis.net/p-722-sport-sway-bar-set.aspx

Interior: The RNS-E is the next generation system and will work with XM but you will need to get a new XM module, http://www.navplus.us is the ultimate source of all that kind of information. It's not a hard install and there are several walkthroughs available.

Wheels: Yes, your R8 rims will fit on the RS6. I think there are one or two running around with wider wheels in the back (do a search for nene's new wheels). I am personally running a set of 20" on Bridgestone RE-050A Pole Position and Michelin PS2 are also very highly rated tyres. On my OEM rims, I had a set of Toyo Proxes that I also enjoyed quite a great deal.

As far as websites, nene has a great site where he's documented the changes that he's made to his RS6 at http://www.htms.org

cornishmoocher
August 7th, 2008, 22:23
HI and welcome!

I don't think anyone will argue that one of the main men when it comes to the 6 is the grizzmiester.
Grizz is in the uk and really knows his onions. Always worth asking his advice on anything 6.
I do, its almost stalking!!!!!
Duck advised me to have a natter with him, and now he (grizz not duck!!) has modded my 6 and done all the servicing etc.

Anyhoo, just do it, you wont go far wrong with an MTM map, you have a monster company and R&D programme behind it. I run A custom code map, but dont think they have squirted it over the pond yet. Shame- its awsome!

Cheers buddy- Mooch.

KfabR8
August 7th, 2008, 22:27
Thank you very much!

I'll do some more research on the chips - and I agree, the tranny needs attention, so I'll make sure what ever I end up with addresses it too.

Cool on the turbo info. I'd heard of a couple issues on another site, so I wondered.

I'm really hoping the wheels will fit - even if I end up having to make spacers to correct the offset (if needed) Magnesium spacers would be trick, don't you think? - the stuff's fun to machine. :mech:

I've run both the Michelins and Bridgestones (present sneakers) and like them both a lot. The difference between them is really small. The Dunflops that came on the car SUCKED. I'm not wild about the Pirellis on the R8 either. They're just not connected feeling. I'm doing my damndest to make them go away so I can replace them w/better sneakers. :incar: If all goes well I won't get much more than 10K out of them.:wo:

Here's an example of my web stuff: Installing the Carbon Fiber Kits in an R8 (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi.htm)

When I did the first part of my CF conversion on the R8, I documented the process. I still have to finish the interior, but I don't have the stuff yet. It's been on back order for a little while.

I'll do the same thing when I get around to doing the RS mods.

ben916
August 7th, 2008, 22:38
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the achilles heal of the RS6 the transmission?!?! You can do all these power mods but the trans is unable to handle the power, or at least not for long.

It has been talked about slightly, there is a company called level 10 on the eastern side of the US that rebuilts the trans for the RS6 to handle 600hp or some crazy number like that...

Good Luck!

Got photos on the website for the RS6?

DuckWingDuck
August 7th, 2008, 23:09
Couple more thoughts....

1. Yes, Grizz is probably one of the authority on the RS6 and if you've frequentedly rs246.com, I'm sure you've come across some of his posts.

2. On the ECU/TCU, I think it ultimately depends on which tuner has a rep in your area who can reflash the control unit. I'm probably courting the wrath of some loyalists here but to be honest, from everything that's been posted on the boards, there will ultimately be very little difference between all the tunes unless you're out there racing.

3. I think with those offsets you're fine. With my 20"s, I'm running +35mm and I've got 12mm spacers all around.

4. Did you buy your RS6 second hand? I wasn't aware that Dunlops were ever OEM tyres. I thought it was always Pirellis?

5. The CF trim on your site looks pretty nice, very good walkthrough.

6. Ben, I don't think anybody on our board has gone through with a Level 10 transmission job, though Fonzie(?) just had his transmission swapped and when my car went into the shop, there was another RS6 in there that was having its transmission swapped. I think that the transmission can handle it but upgrading it won't hurt!

cornishmoocher
August 7th, 2008, 23:19
Mine didn't! But it was going before the tweek. It def is the weak link after the DRC of course :(

KfabR8
August 7th, 2008, 23:20
I've not been on that forum. I'll go paruse and see.

Does anyone know of a good tuner in the Cincinnati area? - great point about the software. There are probably pro's and con's with each one and they're all out to accomplish the same thing, so as long as this stuff's been out (and hopefully upgraded as time goes by), I would imagine that it's all pretty similar.

Got it off the showroom floor in Oct of 02 and, unfortunately it came with Dunflops. I'd have been happier w/Pirellis, but not much.

So you think 12mm spacers (cool, I can use 1/2" plate) will work with the 19x10.5 rears?

How about tire sizes so I end up with the same OAD as stock - guess I need to go search Bridgestone's site and see the specs, eh?

I recall reading an article about the tranny in the car - they went w/the auto as it was able to hold up to the stress. (want to say it came from the 8 series?) The race RS6's were using a heavily modified A4 tranny and they had issues, but not as many as they expected. They were also serviced all the time, so potential problems were resolved before they struck.

I don't know how accurate that is, as it was a long time ago and I'm sure things have changed as they got more time on them.

cornishmoocher
August 7th, 2008, 23:24
Try this one too www.audisrs.com (http://www.audisrs.com)
Both sites similar, members posting on both sites, so a huge amount of info available, in the UK tho. But information knows no bounds!

I do believe Grizz sent some brake duct kits to the states not so long ago, so all things are possible in this techno age!

DuckWingDuck
August 7th, 2008, 23:28
Grizz never got back to us on the shipping and instead I'm having my technician do the mod for me :p

The transmission of the MTM racer was completely taken out and replaced with a manual for the racing....

On the wheels, I'm pretty sure they'll work but I would wait for more knowledgeable folks to chime in with thoughts as well.

Fonzie Audi
August 8th, 2008, 00:26
I'm have indeed just finished my tranny swap. runnin like butter now - but being much more cautious about slamming the trottle; especially right after waking her up.

ecu/tcu - i personally run APR. very, very happy with performance. also love the lockout feature (saves me grief and $$ at the dealership). i'm sure any major company will make you happy (GIAC, REVO, ect)

exhaust - milltek is nice and very popular, i like the oval tips. mtm sounds good too if you don't mind quad tips. think about cat removal (depending on your local emission reqs) if you want it to get nasty. i have mixed and matched my whole system; and am very happy with the result. (new video will come this weekend)

suspension - everyone has heard this and that about billsteins. i went (with guidance from boostedbora) with KW V3's; and have never regretted it. very satisfied, no problems

lots of pros with experience (grizz, duck, ect) will point you in the right direction. personalizing your beast is great - good luck

DuckWingDuck
August 8th, 2008, 00:39
fonzie, being that you've got a new transmission, gotta treat it like a new car for the first 1k mi.

Benman
August 8th, 2008, 00:44
(yea, yea, someone will tell the Newbie "Hey dumbass, there's a search button, use it!").

As you can tell from the replies, this is hardly AudiWorld. :D :applause:

Big welcome to the forums! :cheers:

As Ben916 pointed out, the tranny is the achilles heal. One thread that discusses the "Level 10 mod", mixed reviews here (but then, always talk to those that actually did it, versus hearsay):

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14901&highlight=level+tranny

Otherwise MTM tranny TCU as DWD and others already mentioned...

Ben:addict:

DuckWingDuck
August 8th, 2008, 00:49
ben, yours is still pretty much a stock unit (except that awesome shark which for some reason, I've ALWAYS missed!) right? Having owned mine for a year, I think I'm going to start slowly adding new toys to it.

KfabR8
August 8th, 2008, 01:38
As you can tell from the replies, this is hardly AudiWorld. :D :applause: :wo:

Big welcome to the forums! :cheers: Thank you very much! I have to say I really appreciate the warm welcome you guys have given me. :thumb:

Some places (cough, cough, mentioned above, cough, cough) can be a tad brutal.:doh:

KfabR8
August 8th, 2008, 01:45
Quick, stupid question: What do the chips do for top end? Do they eliminate the limiter?

I got to see 160 once out near Vegas - very cool, very stable. It was still pulling quite hard right up to where the system just says "Okay, here's 160 and that's all you're allowed."

I thought that I heard/read somewhere that the European spec cars didn't have the limiter and were close to 180 - 190 mph cars. True?

I'd like to go back out to that road someday...

DuckWingDuck
August 8th, 2008, 02:30
European cars tend to have a soft limiter. Whereas my old school Civic simply cut off the gas at 120mph, my RS6 doesn't really do that. The fastest I've gone is about 175 on the same downhill where my tyre blew out. But back to answer your question, yes, when you rechip the car, the electronic governor goes away.

Nobody's gotten 190mph stock with the governor, most people talk about their governor around 170.

You should come out our way, there are plenty of very fun roads!

ruxprncd
August 8th, 2008, 17:01
Here's a vote for O.CT engine and tranny chip. Have had it for 1.5 years - big power, better shifting, no problems at all.

Benman
August 8th, 2008, 17:29
ben, yours is still pretty much a stock unit

Correct with the exception of the Hotchkiss Sway Bars. In fact, mine was the "test mule" for the three prototypes we installed at their shop. Mark and John are great guys...

That is also why I mentioned above that it is better to talk to those that have actually done the mods as "hearsay" is not always a correct gauge to go by. I remember distinctly getting some flack for testing H-Sport Sway Bars for Hotchkiss... but again, it was flack from those that had never had first hand experience from Hotchkiss.

Now, years later, many on this forum (and others) have ordered the H-Sport RS 6 sway bars, and further, enjoy them! Yet not so long ago, I was not too "bright" to pioneer them. ;) That is the point I was trying to make above to all here.

BTW, sorry if I was tooting my own horn just now. :D

Yes, as DWD pointed out, most (not sure about all) chip upgrades do away with the limiter. I personally was leaning towards GIAC since Garret did wonders for our (now departed) Galati racecar and I also loved the GIAC chip for my B5 S4 (now sold as well). :heart:

Ben:addict:

O.CT USA
August 9th, 2008, 02:48
I have chipped more some 90+ RS6 within the US in which 2 of them are mine. Lots of people on this board has thei RS6 chipped by O.CT with very much success. Both of my cars were equiped with a Milltek catback together with the O.CT Chip/ TCU. My last RS6 had the full O.CT Stage III chip, which is coupled together with the full Milltek Turbo back.

Let me know what kind of questions do you have. :)

DuckWingDuck
August 9th, 2008, 03:08
Robert, are you the same guy who sold the other fellow the supposed non-VIN ECU?

cornishmoocher
August 9th, 2008, 04:46
Robert, are you the same guy who sold the other fellow the supposed non-VIN ECU?
Good question Duck!

Be interesting to point Robert in the direction of those posts so as he can see. Maybe the guy was cool, maybe not, if not Robert needs to no someone is using him in a scam.

DuckWingDuck
August 9th, 2008, 05:01
Here we go: http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15784

cornishmoocher
August 9th, 2008, 05:04
I must be REALLY dim. I couldn't find it!! :(

snoopra
August 9th, 2008, 05:10
Welcome!
I'm giong with IPT transmissions for my upgrades due to mix reviews with Level10 and the fact that IPT has a forum. REVO chip is said to be mapped (or hacked) similarly to DNA, so after the tranny upgrade my ECU will be off to REVO. Good luck on the upgrades:addict:

DuckWingDuck
August 9th, 2008, 05:20
snoopra, got an url and some info on IPT?

KfabR8
August 9th, 2008, 14:15
ecu/tcu - i personally run APR. very, very happy with performance. also love the lockout feature (saves me grief and $$ at the dealership). i'm sure any major company will make you happy (GIAC, REVO, ect)
Here's a vote for O.CT engine and tranny chip. Have had it for 1.5 years - big power, better shifting, no problems at all.
Yes, as DWD pointed out, most (not sure about all) chip upgrades do away with the limiter. I personally was leaning towards GIAC since Garret did wonders for our (now departed) Galati racecar and I also loved the GIAC chip for my B5 S4 (now sold as well). :heart:
I have chipped more some 90+ RS6 within the US in which 2 of them are mine. Lots of people on this board has thei RS6 chipped by O.CT with very much success. Both of my cars were equiped with a Milltek catback together with the O.CT Chip/ TCU. My last RS6 had the full O.CT Stage III chip, which is coupled together with the full Milltek Turbo back.

APR, O.CT and GIAC - three that have had good results/reviews. I was familiar (via searching) w/the APR and GIAC. O.CT sounds like a good thing - but I'd like to hear more from actual customers. (no offense to anyone installing stuff - they're biased about their own products and rightfully so.)

Do all three offer TCU?

Good stuff so far. Thank you.

APR, GIAC and O.CT would appear to be my best choices thus far.

exhaust - milltek is nice and very popular, i like the oval tips. mtm sounds good too if you don't mind quad tips. think about cat removal (depending on your local emission reqs) if you want it to get nasty. i have mixed and matched my whole system; and am very happy with the result.More than likely I'll go w/the Milltek exhaust. It's the unit that seems to show up more than any other. Generally I'm not a sheep and follow the trends, but when you see pretty much an across the board recommendation, well, I'll be a sheep.

What sort of sound levels am I going to have compared to stock? I don't want to have something that makes all sorts of sound all the time - unless I'm on the go pedal, then let the beast roar.

The car's still going to be the family truckster and the idea of dropping my kids off at school in some hot rod sounding beast isn't appealing. I really prefer the quiet, yet effectively kick your ass approach.

Obviously removing the cats is going to increase output and sound levels - once again, by how much?

suspension - everyone has heard this and that about billsteins. i went (with guidance from boostedbora) with KW V3's; and have never regretted it. very satisfied, no problemsI'll avoid the Bilsteins. I'm reading too many negative reviews. KW and one other brand (it was letters like KW, not a name - and it escapes me at the moment) seem to pop up most of the time as being the way to go.

Are these coil overs? Do they come w/springs and are there different spring rates available? What rate is recommended?

Are the KW V3's adjustable? If so, what adjustments are available? Compression? Rebound? Spring preload to adjust ride height?

Correct with the exception of the Hotchkiss Sway Bars. In fact, mine was the "test mule" for the three prototypes we installed at their shop. Mark and John are great guys...

That is also why I mentioned above that it is better to talk to those that have actually done the mods as "hearsay" is not always a correct gauge to go by. I remember distinctly getting some flack for testing H-Sport Sway Bars for Hotchkiss... but again, it was flack from those that had never had first hand experience from Hotchkiss.AND HOW!!! This is why I started this thread. It's nice to hear opinions and theories from those that have done reading and research, but I want info from those that actually HAVE the stuff.

A perfect example from me on a performance thing would be that I've always heard that NOS in a car is killer. It's been an across the board, many times told thing. But that said, I have never been in an NOS car, so can I say "Oh, that stuff's bad ass!" - nope, I can't say squat about it. I have no real world data or butt dyno info to back up the claims, so I'd have to stay quiet about it if asked.

The fact that a lot of responses have links to people that can directly relate, from experience, results is great. Thank you.

I hear you on being the test mule too. I spent four years helping develop an off road car. The trials and tribulations of developement are both wonderful and heart breaking at the same time. Fortunately, I'm determined (dumb?) enough to keep going back for more abuse. In the end, the second generation of the vehicle ended up being amazing and I'm proud to have been the main reason for many of the upgrades.

Boosted-Bora
August 9th, 2008, 16:53
Just wanted to chime in here as I have been off the forums for a while and now im back......first off welcome and im glad you are looking to increase the power of your beast

My personal set up is

Unitronic chip
Milltek non-resonated exhaust
kw-v3
and for wheels I have DPE S20's in 19x9.5

I love the unitronic great program but I feel there is more in the car

the Milltek is nice but from my experience so (10K miles with it on the car) there is no "real"power increase just a HUGE response difference and the car seems it can breathe better up top (past 140ish)....

The turbos should be fine although my good friend (nextceo) did blow his passenger side one at 65K last week so now its time for big boys:hahahehe:

none the less the trannys seem to be the week point good thing for you is IPT out of NJ isnt too far from you and thr do great work and will be doing my RS6 trans soon and a good friend of mine has a Kleeman CLK55K and will be going there soon as well.

When it comes to suspension PLEASE get the KWV3's you will love it once they are all set up properly the car just feels totally different.....(I am a KW dealer so if you need them just let me know)

and if I may make a tire suggestion please DONT get Toyo T1R's they suck trust me...stick with either a PS2 or a ContiSportContact3......

as far as looks go I am working on making a custom rear diffuser that will be made from CF to replace the lower middle part of the rear bumper and a new CF lip (not like mine)

Cheers and welcome once again......

-Drew

EDIT: DO THE H-SPORT SWAYBARS

KfabR8
August 9th, 2008, 17:09
Thanks for the info.

I'll probably do everything first and then see how the tranny does before I address it. (that being said, I've just jinxed myself)

Okay, so there's another vote for the Milltek and the H-sport swaybars. I'd say those two are locked in as what I'll get. Mark two spots on the check list!

Shocks - Another bump for KW V3's. Once again, I have to ask, are these just the shocks or do they include the springs and how adjustable are they?

Just how much of a bolt in system are the shocks/struts? I'll be doing these mods myself.

Sneakers - only Bridgestone or Michelin will be installed. I love the Stones on the car right now. I've not had experience w/anything other than the two listed, the damn Dunflops that came on the car and Pirellis on my buddy's 911 and my R8 and they'll never be a replacement option either. I don't like them at all.

Still not quite sure what I'm going to put on the stock rims for winter, though...

Carbon Fiber - we'll see. I have the ability to do a lot of it on my own. I'm in the process of making R8 badges and rings right now. I'm getting better with each session too.

snoopra
August 9th, 2008, 17:50
KfabR8,
I also just ordered a set of H-sport sways.

DWD,
IPT Performance Transmissions
http://www.ipttrans.com/

snoopra
August 9th, 2008, 18:16
Boosted-Bora,

........I just bought a OEM set of S5 19x8.5, sweeeeet!:dance:
http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/02/7e/bfe5_0.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320282244638&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting)

"The turbos should be fine although my good friend (nextceo) did blow his passenger side one at 65K last week so now its time for big boys:hahahehe: "

......How about blouch factory turbo upgrade?
http://www.blouchturbo.com

"When it comes to suspension PLEASE get the KWV3's you will love it once they are all set up properly the car just feels totally different.....(I am a KW dealer so if you need them just let me know)"

..........Do you have the settings for track and streeet, there's another new post looking for setting? Also, my DRC is still functional (Gulp!) are you suggesting doing the KW V3' BEFORE the failure? If so, can you do better than $2560 delivered to the VI (USPS priority to 00820)?

"as far as looks go I am working on making a custom rear diffuser that will be made from CF to replace the lower middle part of the rear bumper and a new CF lip (not like mine)"

.........pics please!:bow:

Wayne

Boosted-Bora
August 9th, 2008, 19:11
Boosted-Bora,

........I just bought a OEM set of S5 19x8.5, sweeeeet!:dance:
http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/02/7e/bfe5_0.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320282244638&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting)

"The turbos should be fine although my good friend (nextceo) did blow his passenger side one at 65K last week so now its time for big boys:hahahehe: "

......How about blouch factory turbo upgrade?
http://www.blouchturbo.com

"When it comes to suspension PLEASE get the KWV3's you will love it once they are all set up properly the car just feels totally different.....(I am a KW dealer so if you need them just let me know)"

..........Do you have the settings for track and streeet, there's another new post looking for setting? Also, my DRC is still functional (Gulp!) are you suggesting doing the KW V3' BEFORE the failure? If so, can you do better than $2560 delivered to the VI (USPS priority to 00820)?

"as far as looks go I am working on making a custom rear diffuser that will be made from CF to replace the lower middle part of the rear bumper and a new CF lip (not like mine)"

.........pics please!:bow:

Wayne

I do suggest doing the KW's before the DRC goes I did my DRC is all in the box and still works I am just a fan of being on the ground....... as far as setting go I have very basic setting on our cars for street and track I will experiment with next week. I like a very rough and stiff ride quality so I am 1/2 turn from full stiff in the front and full stiff in the rear also compression and rebound setting are 1/2 turn from full in the rear and 3/4-1 turn from full in the front.

I will get pricing fro you on the KW's on Monday and I will post pics of what I am thing about doing with the CF in the near future cause I am sure you have already seen my CF lip in other posts

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138248&posted=1#post138248

snoopra
August 9th, 2008, 19:18
Thanks, Big Drew.

Boosted-Bora
August 9th, 2008, 19:18
no problem

MikeL01
August 10th, 2008, 01:10
KfabR8, Here are 3 RS6 tuners in Cincinnati and Louisville areas. Also check out Bluegrass Audi in Louisville (Bob Greiter Service Manager) they are great to work with and race RS's.

Grossman Tuning
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">830 South First St.</st1:Street> <st1:City w:st="on">Louisville</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">KY</st1:State></st1:address>, 502-583-5111 www.grossmantuning.com (http://www.grossmantuning.com/)<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
TD Performance<O:p</O:p
1218 Omniples drive <st1:City w:st="on">Cincinnati</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OH</st1:State>, 513 671 4100 www.tdperf.com (http://www.tdperf.com/)<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Savage Motorsports<O:p</O:p
<st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">13 West Main St</st1:Street> <st1:City w:st="on">Amelia</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Ohio</st1:State></st1:address>,: 513-658-1971 www.savagemotorsport.net (http://www.savagemotorsport.net/)<O:p</O:p

KfabR8
August 10th, 2008, 03:02
Excellent! Thank you. I'll probably talk to the people in KY first since they have a racing background. So much of what's learned on a track can be put towards the street, if nothing else just for longivity. If it survives on a track, then it's a breeze on the streets.

mmaturo
August 10th, 2008, 06:49
Couple more thoughts....

1. Yes, Grizz is probably one of the authority on the RS6 and if you've frequentedly rs246.com, I'm sure you've come across some of his posts.

2. On the ECU/TCU, I think it ultimately depends on which tuner has a rep in your area who can reflash the control unit. I'm probably courting the wrath of some loyalists here but to be honest, from everything that's been posted on the boards, there will ultimately be very little difference between all the tunes unless you're out there racing.

3. I think with those offsets you're fine. With my 20"s, I'm running +35mm and I've got 12mm spacers all around.

4. Did you buy your RS6 second hand? I wasn't aware that Dunlops were ever OEM tyres. I thought it was always Pirellis?

5. The CF trim on your site looks pretty nice, very good walkthrough.

6. Ben, I don't think anybody on our board has gone through with a Level 10 transmission job, though Fonzie(?) just had his transmission swapped and when my car went into the shop, there was another RS6 in there that was having its transmission swapped. I think that the transmission can handle it but upgrading it won't hurt!

My 2 little cents are to get PS2s...well into my second set and love them on my 19s. There is a particular version just for the RS6 (although not sure it will matter with the R8 wheel offset) so where ever you get them from order directly off the catalog from Michelin to get the right number or you will end up with the regular tire. The regular tire has a rim protector on both the outter and inner side of the tire. The inner lip will rub on the suspension depending on the offset but the correct tire does not have the inner lip so has no issues.

Wintersport M3s I have on my 18 OEM wheels and they work great in deep chicago snow and in the dry. I do not feel lacking in handling.

My RS did not come with Pirellis either. I ditched my Dunlops immediately as well as could not handle anything but straight. I drive my RS6 very hard and My first set of PS2s including track days gave up life at 16K miles.

I would like to get the ECU programming on my car but i am too terrified of blowing up my torque converter or transmission. I'm on tranny #2 already and torque converter #3. One day I will strap on the balls and just do it. I did the Revo 5 hour test and it was impressive...was scary fast on the interstate. We wanted to see what the real gain was but we could not get it to dyno after a bunch of attempts (transmission not cooperating).

grizz
August 10th, 2008, 09:50
Hi , Sorry for the late response to your questions, Well it looks like most of your questions have been answered .

I've fitted all 3 of the after market suspension systems , they are all very good had no issues with any .
I've had 3 remaps on my car and currantly run with CUSTOM-CODE .

I'm having some 3in de-catted downpipes made that will improve spool up.

I will have all the parts ready for the 6 speed manual conversion soon.

Sorry for not posting the price for the phaeton ducts , They are £129. This is via airmail to the us and includes 4% that pay pal take from the payment .The kit comes ready to fit .

Grizz

cornishmoocher
August 10th, 2008, 13:17
The 3" DP's will be awsome.
the standard 2n a bits de catted make a huge difference!

Rather you (or Pete) than me to fit them tho!!!

Could CC break the US market Martin?

I think EVERYONE that has a CC map in the UK has nothing but good stuff to say, which is odd, as usually you can find something that the map/chip is lacking in.....but not so the CC!!

snoopra
August 11th, 2008, 05:47
I've fitted all 3 of the after market suspension systems , they are all very good had no issues with any .
I've had 3 remaps on my car and currantly run with CUSTOM-CODE .

Grizz

Grizz, what kinda numbers does the CUSTOM-CODE remap produce? I'm considering REVO, but if your offering the CC remap I'm in. And thanks again for the brake cooling kit!:bow:
I'm looking for someone to pull my tranny for upgrade work, are you coming this way anytime in the near future?:D

snoopra
August 11th, 2008, 05:49
I'm looking at Labree for a custom set of "split" downpipes

grizz
August 11th, 2008, 08:03
I've not had a good r r session yet as it's been tooo warm .

I'm over to the SEMA show in November .

I'm getting some custom 3in down pipes made ....

DuckWingDuck
August 11th, 2008, 08:20
grizz, you'll be out this way for SEMA? Awesome! if I'm in town, I'll jet over to Vegas for a spot o' visit.

snoopra
August 11th, 2008, 17:27
I've not had a good r r session yet as it's been tooo warm .

I'm over to the SEMA show in November .

I'm getting some custom 3in down pipes made ....

What about the ECU CC remapping?

DuckWingDuck
August 11th, 2008, 17:37
I am curious about this CUSTOM CODE that the cousins across the pond are running... Mooch? Grizz?

grizz
August 11th, 2008, 17:56
DWD ,I came over for the show SEMA show last year .I'll be there from the 1st-8th november .
http://www.custom-code.co.uk/

DuckWingDuck
August 11th, 2008, 18:03
Nice, I'll be sure to mark it down on my calendar and try to make it out to visit ya. Hell, I may even drive out to Vegas with my RS6.

grizz
August 11th, 2008, 18:20
Nice, I'll be sure to mark it down on my calendar and try to make it out to visit ya. Hell, I may even drive out to Vegas with my RS6.

Sounds like a plan .....:rs6kiss:

cornishmoocher
August 11th, 2008, 18:21
If you ask him nicely, I expect Mart may bring his map squirter with him!

DuckWingDuck
August 11th, 2008, 18:31
On the Custom Code site, I don't see any reference to TCU upgrade for the ECU upgrade (hell, it looks like Stage 1 is a simply ODBC II reflash)... Is this the case? how does CC compare to GIAC?

Spidercat
August 11th, 2008, 22:47
What I run (drivetrain to the road):

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s for the last 10K mi. (Quiet, work well on dry tarmac, and untouchable in the wet). I'll definitely be getting another set of these when mine wear out (It rains frequently here, and these tires + quattro = see ya)

Revo ECU flash w/SPS box (As others have stated, it offers selectability. I leave mine on the race fuel program. Totally happy with it. For $900 + $250 for the box, it's hard to beat. I agree that most "chips" offer the same horsepower as near as makes no difference. The dealer's shop is also only a few miles away, so it worked out well for me.)

MTM TCU upgrade (Another member- HeadShot- had done this and was happy w/it so I followed suit. Just remove TCU, overnight to HoppenMotorsports, they remap it, and overnight it back. Shifts so much faster now. Another recommended upgrade IMO. Again, I bet all of them are very similar.

Stock DRC (just replaced it @44K miles on warranty co's dime. If I had to pay for it myself, however- $6K - I would've certainly gone w/KW-v3 and H-Sports)

Stock exhaust (still looking around for the best set-up for me, but Milltek and custom set-ups/cat-delete are likely candidates)

Welcome, and nice thread!

KfabR8
August 12th, 2008, 00:26
Nice!

Okay, so suspension sounds like it's dialed in for me - KW V3's, Hotchkis sway bars. The majority of you guys seem to point this direction.

Exhaust - Milltek

I'm thinking the MTM TCU is the way to go also. The reputation that I seem to find about MTM is thus far quite outstanding. Seems everthing I read that relates to MTM is positive.

I'm curious as to which of the three: MTM, Revo and GIAC is considered the "best" ECU? Especially for someone that wants to just plug and play for now.

Eventually I may look into mapping and such, can either of these units be reflashed?

snoopra
August 12th, 2008, 01:47
OC.T is also a good choice. If you want to reflash or tinker with the mapping, REVO has a tuning "box" that can be purchased for such tasks.

Spidercat
August 12th, 2008, 02:05
Revo ECU is flash only. You drive to a Revo dealer (see their website for one near you), they plug a laptop into your OBD-II, and in a few minutes, you're done. They even have (or had) a free "trial" version that goes away after thirty days if you don't want it. You can turn it back to stock settings at any time with the select box, also. On another thread, I had said that my CEL went on (probably old gas/old plugs), switched it to stock, and asked them about it when I brought it in for a routine tune-up anyway (it was overdue) and they couldn't "find" the "chip", and they were looking for any sources. Granted, I'm sure someone could find the evidence, but it apparently doesn't show up on the "usual" diagnostic machines.
I had researched and waited for 6-9 months before settling for an ECU upgrade. I was leary about the Revo at first, but no one had had anything "bad" to say about it (most of it was good, in fact), and when I moved out here there were only a couple aftermarket shops that did Audi chips (Audi dealer used to do APR, but stopped). The best private Audi/VW mechanic on the island uses Revo exclusively. He's had a 1.8 TT daily driver with Revo software that has well over 400 bhp. It's been his daily for more than 2 years sans problems, so I gave Revo a try. (Thomas at Tai's VW if any local VAG fans are interested. Super-great guy!) Anyway, this set-up works fine for me. I also like that I can instantly switch back to "standard" premium fuel program if I can't get to the super high-octane stuff and my tank starts getting too low, or even back to stock boost/timing. I didn't know that there were other companies (besides Revo) that have "selectable" ECU programs out there now, but it sounds like there are. Good luck with whichever one you choose! By the way, the Hoppen MTM TCU work was like $100 plus shipping, so that's an awesome deal!

KfabR8
August 18th, 2008, 21:38
Well it's begun.

Ordered smoked Hella tail lights and smoked side marker lights a couple days ago.

Does anyone do smoked front lens covers? I couldn't find anything via Google (but I'm a search engine retard..)

Ordered the Hotchkis sway bars this afternoon.

I just put my name on the orderlist for the carbon/magnesium Dymags (black centers) for the R8, so I plan to take the stock R8 rims and make them RS6 rims. That said, I'm trying to find out if the stock R8 rims will fit and what size tires I'll need to maintain stock RS6 tire diameter.

Been talking to Dave Martin at Wheel Enhancement about rims and tires. Really cool person to work with. I've been lucky thus far on support and people willing to play 20 questions with me. Thanks to all for that.

If the R8 rims work, I'll set up the stock RS6 rims for winter abuse. No more SUV, so I have to adapt. I believe a well set up RS6 in the snow should be quite a lot of fun!

Going to put Michelins on the Dymags and R8 rims and ditch those brick Pirellis.

I have also contacted Brian at Vagnav.com and played 20 questions with him - will be getting a full RSN-E upgrade that will work w/the stock shark fin antenna and the XM receiver. He's killer on the support and is setting up a full package deal, including blue-tooth (love it in the R8, so I gotta have it for the old Beast).

Two questions:

1) Does anyone know if there's a way to integrate the pressure system from the R8's rims into the RS6's system? I've done a little searching and it would seem that most are just purchasing a stand alone system - not sure I want another display or dash unit hanging out up front w/me, though.

B) Does anyone know how to adapt the turn signal three flash system found in the new cars to the RS6?

It's a feature that's quite spoiling once you're used to it. Bump the lever, get three blinks, change lanes between the refelectors and before the signal quits. I really would like this in the RS.

Windows will be getting tinted here shortly. The job on the R8 turned out really good. - yea, I know you guys want pix - I'll get them here soon.

Not heard anything back from Audi service concerning my blown DRC and I'm about to just say screw it and get the KW V3 system. I need to hunt down Drew (hello, Drew? Where are you?) as I was told he's a KW dealer.

I'll get the chassis set up first and then go work on adding hp. HP is pointless if the chassis can't handle it.

Chips - still up in the air. The four that keep getting mentioned are MTM, Revo, GIAC & OC.T

Overall, it would appear that the MTM is the least common, therefore I've heard less about them. OC.T isn't too much more common.

Revo and GIAC seem to be the two most popular and the option of the selectable settings of the Revo are very tempting and swaying.

Let's hear some debate about the four. The post above this one is a damn good start.

I will be doing the Hoppen MTM TCU work - especially when you look at it from a "bang for the buck" point of view. Can't go wrong there.

Erik
August 18th, 2008, 21:54
I have a deep respect for MTM.

I have driven their MTM R8 Kompressor (Supercharger).

The Dymags will be cool as well and I hope you keep us posted with pictures and the transformation proceeds. We're getting Dymags / Oakley Design for a Gallardo here.

KfabR8
August 19th, 2008, 01:56
Ah Hell.

Just discovered that the rear R8 rims will not fit on the RS6. The fronts will, though. Anyone have a spare set of front R8 rims they want to part with?

I also realize that I forgot to ask three questions not two, so here's the last one:

III) Is there any way to adapt the auto headlights to the RS6? (I've not searched this - I'm being lazy).

KfabR8
August 20th, 2008, 17:10
Not much, but it's a start.
Got the side marker lights in a box via the USPS yesterday. (wonder where the tail lights are?)

Put them in this morning. Talk about easy. Pull from the back edge, they pop out. Pull the wire harness off the marker light body, put the new marker light body on the bulb, stick it back in the car. Takes about 10 seconds per side.

Here are the stockers flanked by the smoked units.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00944.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00944.JPG)

Stock clear units

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00943.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00943.JPG)

Smoked markers installed.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00945.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00945.JPG)

Yea, I know the car's dirty. :doh:

I like my garage. :applause:

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00942.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00942.JPG)

ben916
August 20th, 2008, 17:38
There is room for another exotic above the R8...

KfabR8
August 20th, 2008, 21:57
LOL! I actually don't know what I'd put in there - I don't believe there's another car out there that intrigues me as much or that I'd enjoy as much as the R8.

Okay, so it's not quite a supercar (needs to be sub 4 sec 0-100km to be), and there are other vehicles out there that "do it better", but my overall satisfaction with the R8 is pretty much untouchable.

I'll wait a couple years, find a V10 and 'upgrade' then. (:

KfabR8
August 21st, 2008, 22:05
DRC update:
Mine's going away again. Stopped in Audi and they'll cover the repair, since the last time it went south was less than a year ago.

I still think I'm better off just getting the KW V3's...

r1nga
August 22nd, 2008, 15:20
Quick, stupid question: What do the chips do for top end? Do they eliminate the limiter?

I got to see 160 once out near Vegas - very cool, very stable. It was still pulling quite hard right up to where the system just says "Okay, here's 160 and that's all you're allowed."

I thought that I heard/read somewhere that the European spec cars didn't have the limiter and were close to 180 - 190 mph cars. True?

I'd like to go back out to that road someday...

EU spec cars are supposed to be 155mph, but std RS6 typically in the 165 idicated range I think. The Plus came factory set at 175mph, so an indicated 180mph or thereabouts. Not that there's ever any space to go that fast in the UK of course... Germany perhaps though!

Phil G

KfabR8
August 22nd, 2008, 19:04
Even though I posted this in the R8 section, I figure it fits here too with my thread. Afterall, there are pix of the RS that I'm planning on modifying.

Pulled out the camera today and took a few shots of my rides.

Cliky on the picky for a hi-rez view.

:R8kiss:

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00953.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00953.JPG)http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00950.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00950.JPG)

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00957.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00957.JPG)http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00961.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00961.JPG)

:rs6kiss:

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00949.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00949.JPG)

:R8kiss: :rs6kiss: :applause:

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00948.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00948.JPG)http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00951.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00951.JPG)

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00952.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00952.JPG)http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00954.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00954.JPG)

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00955.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00955.JPG)http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00956.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00956.JPG)

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00958.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00958.JPG)http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00959.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00959.JPG)

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC00960.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC00960.JPG)

gjg
August 22nd, 2008, 19:33
EU spec cars are supposed to be 155mph, but std RS6 typically in the 165 idicated range I think. The Plus came factory set at 175mph, so an indicated 180mph or thereabouts. Not that there's ever any space to go that fast in the UK of course... Germany perhaps though!

Phil G

I had both RS6 and RS6+ (still have the +) and the speed limiter on stock RS6 worked @ about 278 km/h on speedo and on + @ 298 km/h, there is about 10 km difference between speedo and gps readout :thumb:

gjg
August 22nd, 2008, 19:41
I have a deep respect for MTM..

I can second that - I had few cars done by MTM in US as well as in Europe...

Some of t he "tuners" listed here are not where I (and some others...) would shop, remember - you get what you pay for ...

ALmost anyone with programming skills can rewrite software, what such change will do to the car is different story, but this been discussed here many times.

My vote would be - go with someone reputable with long track record where you can go back if something goes wrong (read someone in US). "Masters" of tuning appearing here and there in aussie or UK are too far for anything to get resolved, let alone to sort out damages done by "new and improved" software package.

the switchable (dealer/no dealer) package been discussed here as well in the past. If you want to dance, you have to pay the music....

KfabR8
August 29th, 2008, 14:30
Hotchkis bars are here
Just ordered OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 rims in black. I'll stick the Bridgestone sneakers on these and put Blizzaks on the stockers for this winter.
I need to call Drew today and order my KW's. I'm not going to screw around with the damn DRC crap anymore. Thump, thump, thump is getting OLD.

DuckWingDuck
August 29th, 2008, 17:17
Kevin, when you reach Drew, please also have him send me an email or respond to my PM here. I'm most likely in need of a set myself!

Boosted-Bora
August 29th, 2008, 17:42
hey Greg sorry for the late reply I can get you the coils and will send you info Via PM soon....

K-Fab I will get you those part numbers soon im still looking for them

snoopra
August 29th, 2008, 17:54
Try this site guys

http://www.esetuning.com/KW-Coilover-Suspension-Kit-Variant-3-p/35210053.htm

DuckWingDuck
August 29th, 2008, 18:05
snoopra - thanks for the link!

drew - you've got mail at the address you PM'ed. Thanks.

Boosted-Bora
August 29th, 2008, 18:28
replied to your mail

KfabR8
August 29th, 2008, 20:57
Kevin, when you reach Drew, please also have him send me an email or respond to my PM here. I'm most likely in need of a set myself!Who is this Kevin that you speak of? I don't generally respond to this name, but a few people I know do. :doh:

My name is Richard, unless I piss you off. :hahahehe:

DuckWingDuck
August 30th, 2008, 03:17
LOL, my bad, I thought you were Kevin. :D

KfabR8
August 30th, 2008, 15:37
Rims are on the way!

18x8 OZ Ultraleggeras in black.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/rs6rims.jpg

I'll pull the Bridgestone sneakers that are currently on the stock rims on these wheels (da Stones only have about 1K on them, so I'm keeping them) and Blizzaks for the stockers should be here the end of the week.

Does anyone offer blacked out front headlights or covers for the headlights?
Still can't get any word on my tail lights. :vgrumpy:

DuckWingDuck
August 30th, 2008, 15:50
not too bad looking at all. Kind of a moot point now but why didn't you want to go larger?

KfabR8
August 30th, 2008, 18:11
Very valid question.

There was a lot of discussion between a buddy of mine (Porsche owner who's quite on top of what's going on) and I about this.

Two reasons:
1) First off the RS6 is my Family Truckster. Going to a larger (diam) wheel does effect ride quality. Going to the KW's and the new sway bars is going to affect the ride.

From what I've read doing my research on these mods, the ride is initially a bit better than the DRC system, but firms up quickly. The swaybars will also firm up the ride a bit. I figure by sticking with the 18's instead of going to a 19 or 20, I'll maintain a more family friendly ride.

B) The Bridgestone sneakers that are on the current rims are darn near brand new - right around a thousand miles. I really like the way they handle on the car now, so with the new suspension, well, they're probably going to work even better. I just can't quite justify pitching a set of fairly new tires.

Besides all that, when I need to go out and really get my driving fix, well, theres this sleek, sexy thing called an R8 that sits next to the RS in the garage and that does it for me!

DuckWingDuck
August 30th, 2008, 18:36
haha, that is very true! My father complains about riding in my RS6 even on DRC as being too stiff, so I think he would probably refrain from riding in it even more when I jump on the KW & Hotchkis items... And I've got 20s!!

snoopra
August 31st, 2008, 21:23
There's one mod I haven't seen on the forum, upgrading fuel pressure regulator to a 5bar. I recently did this (3 or so weeks ago) and the main thing that's clear is the "smooth" and improved engine and trans operation. And no, I'm not chipped, yet!:jlol:

NEAR FUTURE UPGRADES (next 2 weeks)
-Labree "split" downpipes with cat deletes
-IPT trans upgrade
-H sport sway bars (got them a week ago)
-Sound enhanced exhaust
-S5 five spoke wheels (got them 2 weeks ago)
-DVD player in glove box with remote mount sensor
-and of course, REVO with seletor switch (reg, 93, RACE)

snoopra
August 31st, 2008, 21:25
Sorry, and KW V3's!

KfabR8
September 5th, 2008, 14:08
OZ Ultraleggara are on the way - should be here today.
Blacked out Hella rear tail lights - should be here today. (canceled previous order, found them on E-bay thanks to another member)
RNS-E upgrade w/blue tooth - should be shipped early next week.
Hotchkis swaybars - sitting in my office.
KW V3s on order - Drew's great to work with.

I want to black out the car also: head lights - considering doing the internal paint mod - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2247037&posted=1#post2247037 the mirrors, lower trunk trim and window trim. The only chrome left on the car when I'm done will be the RS6 badges and the front Audi rings on the grill.

I'm looking forward to taking a wrench to this machine. (:

Still up in the air about the chips. I'll get the chassis work done first and then look into the engine. Chip's a fairly large and open field to look at, so I want to do a bit more research. MTM, Revo and GIAC are the three that seem to stand out more so than the others. I like the idea of being able to switch mapping for octane rating (Revo), but the reviews and general backing of MTM and GIAC by members here keep me open to all three at this time.

In general, a chip adds how much?
I've been seeing 500 - 510 hp and up torque closer to 500 lb-ft - does this seem ball park for everyone running chips already? (on a stock car - no exhaust mods, no intake mods (are there intake mods?)
This seems to be just about all the tranny can deal with and still not have problems any more the tranny alreadys suffers from, right?

There's one mod I haven't seen on the forum, upgrading fuel pressure regulator to a 5bar. I recently did this (3 or so weeks ago) and the main thing that's clear is the "smooth" and improved engine and trans operation.How about some more info on this? Part brand, number and such, please.

It's not nice to tease us with a basic comment and not give more info about it. :doh: :bye:

snoopra
September 5th, 2008, 22:15
034motorsport sells a blueprinted 5bar fuel pressure regulator. It's a OEM bosch drop-in.
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=535

KfabR8
September 10th, 2008, 21:57
The pile grows.

OZ Ultraleggara are sitting in their boxes and the tires get changed out tomorrow.

Blizzaks go on the stock rims, the Bridgestones go on the OZ's.

I also purchased one of the tire pressure monitoring systems for the OZ's. Sensors installed tomorrow, not sure when I'll get to the electronics aspect. May wait until the RNS-E system shows up and do it all at once.

Blacked out Hella rear tail lights arrived today. I'll get them in tomorrow.
http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC01038.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01038.JPG) http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC01039.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01039.JPG)

I'll have more pix tomorrow. Guess I need to go get the car washed too...:doh:

DuckWingDuck
September 10th, 2008, 22:00
Looking good! Damn I miss my car.

snoopra
September 11th, 2008, 01:53
The light's sitting on a rag, right?

KfabR8
September 11th, 2008, 14:51
:vhmmm: Rag? Uh... :doh:

I did set it down very carefully, if that makes any difference.

snoopra
September 11th, 2008, 16:01
Protect the finish at all times, if possible:jlol:

KfabR8
September 11th, 2008, 22:16
Shocks are here - I just wasn't here to sign for them. (Of course!) :doh:

Tail lights are in. I like 'em too. :jlol:

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC01049.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01041.JPG)

The poor Beast is up on jack stands at the moment, :mech: waiting on the new sneakers and rims.
I should be able to get them back tomorrow. Woo hoo!

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC01051.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01051.JPG)

:bow:Not a bad place for parking, eh? (the 993's not mine - it's the other guy that works in the shop w/me)

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC01052.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01052.JPG)

Ah, an R8 and a parking lot.
I don't think too many 43 year olds enjoy their cars quite this much! - and it does them with such ease. :incar:
There are more, but this one is the best - nice, clean and round! :dig:
http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC01044.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01044.JPG)

fastdaddy
September 11th, 2008, 23:23
How about a video of the doughnut being laid down next time?

Roger
September 12th, 2008, 03:05
Looks very nice, can't wait to see the wheels!

Roger
September 12th, 2008, 03:06
Are those the Hella lights?

KfabR8
September 12th, 2008, 14:49
How about a video of the doughnut being laid down next time?LOL! Yea, I've kind of thought the same thing. What's funny about it is that my girlfriend loves it - maybe more than I?

Last night, on the way home she gets this evil grin on her face and asks "Hey, can we run down the twisty road (local fun) and then over to the shop and make some marks?" I had to oblige, of course... :hahahehe:

I can't wait to get her out in the desert car next month - if she enjoys sliding around in the R8, then the race car's gonna make her smile even more.

Not sure how many black marks I'll be doing once I get the PS2's on the car, but as long as these brick Pirellis are on it, it's smoke time.

Looks very nice, can't wait to see the wheels!
Are those the Hella lights?Should be picking up the wheels around lunch - I'll get pix posted later today.

Yes, they are Hellas. Bolted right in - took about 10 minutes to do both sides and I like it.

Next external mods will be to black out the headlights as per this thread on Audizine (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2247037&posted=1#post2247037), black out all the trim, mirrors and get the windows tinted.

I hope to install the shocks and sway bars next week then it's chip time.

The Beast lives! :applause:

KfabR8
September 12th, 2008, 19:31
Wheels are on!

Stock rims with Blizzaks weigh 64 lbs each.

The OZ w/Bridgestones weigh 48 lbs each.

Cool to have just lost 64 total pounds of unsprung weight.

Once I pull the Demon Riddled Catasrophy system out of the car, I'll loose another 20 lbs of sprung weight too. That should be nice!

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC01055.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01055.JPG)

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC01056.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01056.JPG)

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/thumbs/DSC01057.JPG (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01057.JPG)

I really need to get the windows tinted now...

KfabR8
September 13th, 2008, 13:30
An interesting observation:
The lighter wheels really do make a difference in the way the vehicle handles - or should I say reacts?

I've read on more than one occasion that by lightening the rotating mass of the wheels, the car will become more reactive to steering input and initial turn in will be enhanced, but I didn't think it would be that noticeable.

I've removed 16 lbs off each corner w/the new OZ rims and am completely surprised at just how much of a difference it made.

I kept telling myself yesterday that it was all in my head, but a quick jaunt down a road my kids and I call "the twisty road" really showed me that it's real and not just a psychological (or in my case psycho?) thing.

I'm impressed!

The old Beast should be a blast once I get the Hotchkis and KWs installed in the next couple of weeks.

DuckWingDuck
September 13th, 2008, 16:38
Yes, I can attest to that as well. There is definitely a difference between the heavy stock rims and the lighter aftermarket rims we have installed.

hahnmgh63
September 13th, 2008, 20:26
Will fit in the stock location with a minor tweak of the stock clamp, uses stock cables.

KfabR8
September 13th, 2008, 20:36
Will fit in the stock location with a minor tweak of the stock clamp, uses stock cables.Cool info! Thank you.

Odyssey makes a great battery.

Shocks were here yesterday afternoon and I just got the RSN-E.

Other than chipping the car, I believe that I have all the parts I want for the upgrades.
Man, lots of work ahead - but I'm not complaining at all. :mech:

KfabR8
September 25th, 2008, 20:22
Well all righty then!

I finally got all the suspension components in. They're sitting in a box, ready for install. :hahahehe:

Had a very interesting day installing the RSN-E system. :vhmmm:

It's actually VERY easy to install. :mech:

Hardest part was splicing in one wire up under the instrument cluster. The rest was pretty much plug-n-play.

Now for the interesting aspect of my messed up little world. :eye:

Got the radio in, checked it - all working well. Cool. :applause:

Decided I'd back the car out of the garage to initialize the XM and navigation.

Push in on the brake pedal
Turn the key
and the center display says "Push clutch pedal to start."

WTF? I don't have a clutch pedal!!! :brag:

ABS is flashing at me
Brake light is on steady
Car will turn over and fire then die (because it can't find the clutch?)

I've managed to piss off the Beast to no end. DOH! :wo:

Waiting on my Audi tech to give me a call.

DuckWingDuck
September 25th, 2008, 21:46
any vagcom codes come up?

KfabR8
September 26th, 2008, 13:00
No codes are showing up in the dash.

I found out what I did wrong - called Brian at VAGNAV.com. I didn't realize that just having the key in the ignition would reset the system. I hear it happens to Porsche's vehicles too.

Calling the tow truck now.

mmaturo
September 26th, 2008, 14:42
No codes are showing up in the dash.

I found out what I did wrong - called Brian at VAGNAV.com. I didn't realize that just having the key in the ignition would reset the system. I hear it happens to Porsche's vehicles too.

Calling the tow truck now.

Key in the ignition while doing the install?? Did you disconnect the battery or something like that. I am curious at what point during the install having the key in would do that. Good luck, mine was really plug and go immediately play so I feel for you as that sucks.

KfabR8
September 26th, 2008, 21:46
Okay, this has gotten weirder! :rolleyes:

Got the car to Audi and had one of the techs (Kenny) start working on it - he's very good with this sort of stuff and his side kick (Joe) is as good, if not better at it. :thumb:

All sorts of funky codes were showing up. System locked out, disable feature engaged, ABS issues, engine sensor issues. :cry:

They screwed around with the system for a while and then finally decided to pull the radio out, disconnect it and see what happens. :mech:

The car came back to life as if nothing had ever happened. They plugged the radio back in and "Tada!" things are working correctly. :applause:

From what I understand, there were lots of "WTF?" comments made among the techs all taking their shots at it. :brag:

Go figure.

What happened? No clue.
What fixed it? Once again, no clue. :doh:

It will be interesting to hear the final opinion/report on what happened when Kenny drops it off here at my house (man it doesn't get any better for customer service than that! :cheers:- then again, I think he's angling for a ride back to the dealership in the R8 - can't blame him either! :dig: )

I'm just happy that 1) it's fixed and B) I don't have to drive the damn PT Cruiser rent-a-racer that I rented this afternoon, for the weekend, in case I didn't the the Beast back by the end of the day. :rotflmao:

I have to play kid taxi tonight and all weekend and the R8 wasn't gonna cut that duty well at all.

As crazy as this may sound, I actually enjoy an adventure like this little RS6 Trip. They keep life interesting and entertaining.

KfabR8
October 8th, 2008, 16:18
RNS-E system - I've stepped away from it for a while. Put the old stock head unit in and the Blue Tooth works flawlessly.

There's a chance that I received a patch cable for a Symphony I to RNS-E instead of Symphony II to RNS-E. I have all the plug diagrams, so when I decide to tackle the project again, I'm armed and ready.

Got my VAG-COM system. Cool stuff. Now I need to learn how to use it...

The windows got tinted 22% yesterday. I like!

Once I get back from out west (desert car testing the end of the month), I'll get the suspension installed.

Revo chip from there. The old RS6 should be fun!

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01087.JPG

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01088.JPG

KfabR8
October 8th, 2008, 17:15
Oh - I forgot to put this into this thread last week; It's a fun little tale of the RS6 and a good ol' Mustang GT:

Had a guy in a newer Mustang GT sitting in front of me at a light a few days ago.

His car was obviously fast, as it had aftermarket mufflers (loud) and a dash board mounted tach. As we all know these two special mods make your vehicle faster, so his had to be faster...

Anyhow, he'd been sitting there revving the engine waiting on the light to turn green. He dumped the clutch when the light turned and left a couple of black marks and a small bit of smoke - actually, it was a pretty good launch.

He had no idea I was behind him either - why would he? Some guy twice his age, sitting in some four door European car is something to even consider a second glance in the mirror of?

I looked over at my buddy riding shotgun and said "Hey, I think he wants to race" - the 'Stang's already across the intersection and starting to drift over into the right hand lane.

I wasn't really toying with the idea of "racing" him at the moment - it just sort of hit me as he left the line...

I stepped on the Go Pedal, the RS took a breath and off we went.

Right around 55 or so I pulled up beside him and he chirped into his next gear (guessing 3rd?). He had no clue we were there yet.

At 70 I already had pulled him by a car.

My buddy's giving him this goofy assed grin and waving like Forrest Gump as we go by.

When I was about 3 lengths ahead of him (running 90ish), I pulled into his lane and headed for the entrance ramp to the highway.

I got onto the highway, laughing about it. You know, enjoying the moment.

We got off an exit about 8 miles down the road and at the light at the end of the ramp, guess who pulls up next to me?
Yup - Mr. Mustang.

He has this sort of WTF look and keeps checking out the car and the two of us in the car.

The windows on both of our cars were down so I casually asked "Hey wanna run off the line at the next light?"

His response was killer "Hell NO! That thing is BAD ASS!"

I can't wait to put the Revo setup in it.

Texas RS6
October 8th, 2008, 20:25
I am putting the Revo and Select Plus on tomorrow and then the H-Sway bar kit, looks easy enough. Will be changing the brake fluid and running Eagles Canyon this weekend with NASA Texas.

I don't plan to track the car much, just want to start with some basics.

This thread has been fantastic and able to keep me from asking the noobie questions that have been covered here. Good one to make into a Sticky.

Ruergard
October 8th, 2008, 22:05
Nice story KfabR8, the old beast still has the stealth-looks to teach some people a few things. :addict:

KfabR8
December 22nd, 2008, 19:44
Okay, so I'm only three months behind on this. I've not had any time to devote to the RS... :cry:

The shocks and swaybars are being installed as I sit here typing. :applause:

The Audi Tech (Aaron) that's helped me play w/my R8 said that he'd be glad to help out so I got him to do the suspension swap. :mech: Figure why not - he has a lift, the tools and resources and such, and what the Hell - it's a great birthday present to myself.

The DRC in my car was pissed off to the point of making thump sounds just when a passenger would get into the car. I asked Arron to remove everything possible that's associated w/the Demon Riddled Catastrophe.

This has been a sore point for the car for a long time, so it's OUTTA HERE! Along with quite a few RS6's, Arron said that he's serviced two RS4s' DRC thus far - great system, huh? :doh:

I'm truly looking forward to the drive home from the dealership w/the new suspension. I know of a fun little twisty road that's going to be assaulted either later this afternoon or tomorrow. :incar: Wish I had the summer wheels/tires on it. But, the Blizzaks are pretty killer and it's cold (3 degrees F this morning :snow:) so they work really well.

Settings are going to be:

Ride Height as close to stock as possible. While lowering the vehicle does lower the CG, it's also my Family Truckster, so loss of ride height isn't worth the effort or issues that may arise. That and I've read too many threads about lowered cars having camber issues.

Shock settings are as they came thus far. I'll tinker with the knobs and see what happens. Fully loose on both rebound and compression first, work the compression in and then the rebound to match.

Sway bars will be set at the middle rate. I can then work either direction according to what I end up with as far as compression/rebound settings go so it all works together, like it's supposed to.

Once I get the suspension dialed in, it's Revo box time! Sad that my four door sedan's going to be quicker (and faster?:vhmmm:) than the R8 that occupies the same garage...

KfabR8
December 27th, 2008, 15:48
Something else to consider when changing out suspension has reared it's ugly head on my Beastie.

Turns out the bushings in the suspension, mainly front end parts (not sure what, yet) are either worn or are becoming negligible.

My Audi tech got the shocks installed and on test driving said that there was still a small amount of "thunk". He was able to chase it down to bushing issues.

So, for those of us that have, are, or are planning on ridding your ride of the DRC, check the bushings in the system too.

I'll try to get part numbers and locations for everyone.

DHall1
December 27th, 2008, 16:48
Good point. If your car has over 50k it may be a good idea to just change those control arms while your in there.

As a side note. Can you post some after pics to compare the ride height before and after.

Thanks for all the details.

Something else to consider when changing out suspension has reared it's ugly head on my Beastie.

Turns out the bushings in the suspension, mainly front end parts (not sure what, yet) are either worn or are becoming negligible.

My Audi tech got the shocks installed and on test driving said that there was still a small amount of "thunk". He was able to chase it down to bushing issues.

So, for those of us that have, are, or are planning on ridding your ride of the DRC, check the bushings in the system too.

I'll try to get part numbers and locations for everyone.

KfabR8
January 10th, 2009, 20:56
FINALLY!!!
I have the suspension installed - swaybars and KW's.

Wow, what an improvement!

I'd forgotten how solid the car could feel. It's been bumping along w/the worn bushings (which were totally shot), a cracked upper left front shock mount and the damned DRC for so long that I'd become accustomed to the "badness" of it all.

Unfortunately it's done nothing but be cold, wet and either snowy or rainy, so I can't get a feeling for the new stuff fully, but that said, the car slides and drifts just wonderfully under power. It's easy to do nice long four wheel drifts through clover leafs and the chassis no longer gets spooky when it starts to let go. It just nicely starts into the drift. Add throttle and get the rear end to hang out about a foot and float on through the corners.

The thing's a blast!

I enjoyed the S-series A4 that I had as a loaner, but man, I really love my old Beast.

Now it's time to put some HP under the hood and see just how much trouble I can get it with it! Revo here I come.

Thanks to everyone that's helped direct me and given me opinions and such. W/o this board, I'd still be fighting w/the DRC and no where near as happy w/the car as I am now.

I guess I need to tackle the installation of the radio again next... Now that I know what was wrong (wrong wire harness), I'll be able to get things in order and make it all happy - I hope. I'm really hoping that the sat receiver works w/the new radio setup and that issue was part of the wire harness issue. Time will tell.

BenA
October 20th, 2009, 16:35
Blacked out Hella rear tail lights arrived today. I'll get them in tomorrow.

Kfab-- I am ordering some of the hella smoked tails as well. I'm assuming install is a breeze, but am also starting to learn to not assume that anything is a breeze with these. Any watchouts?

bruce
November 1st, 2009, 23:50
Well it's begun.

Ordered smoked Hella tail lights and smoked side marker lights a couple days ago.

Where did you order smoked side lights from ?

bruce
November 1st, 2009, 23:51
Kfab-- I am ordering some of the hella smoked tails as well. I'm assuming install is a breeze, but am also starting to learn to not assume that anything is a breeze with these. Any watchouts?

10 min a side. MAX.

DuckWingDuck
November 2nd, 2009, 00:44
hella sells smoked side lights as well. I think I posted a link a while ago...

DuckWingDuck
November 2nd, 2009, 00:45
here we go: http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/product_info.php?cPath=2_49_180&products_id=289

bruce
November 2nd, 2009, 00:54
here we go: http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/product_info.php?cPath=2_49_180&products_id=289

Nice work!!

I'm assuming there are TWO since it says "blinkerS"

I'm also assuming the stock bulbs fit.... but you know what assuming does...??

DuckWingDuck
November 2nd, 2009, 01:12
it's all stock sizing, but ya, wouldn't hurt to email those people to confirm.

bruce
November 2nd, 2009, 01:15
I already ordered..... PLUS they have this too to go with my new carbon fiber:

http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/product_info.php?products_id=563

KfabR8
July 23rd, 2010, 15:15
Long time off this site...

Some mods to my RS6 have happened recently:
After almost two years, I FINALLY got my RNS-E system installed. My original attempt at install was extremely frustrating and I finally discovered that I was given a Symphony I wire harness. I had to rewire things for a Symphony II setup and now things are playing nice.

The blue tooth telephone hooked up (had to rewire the harness that came w/the RNS-E setup), the old XM sat did not work, but the Sirius unit out of my (totaled - damn trees) R8 works great and the nav system works too (with the nav CD-ROM out of the R8). I was able to find where the shark fin antenna's lead was and hook it directly into the RNS-E system. No spare, extra GPS antenna required.

Now I'm in need of a steering wheel w/paddle shifters AND radio controls and then I'm going to have to work on finding the wire diagrams and coding to make it all play nicely together.

Does anyone have any leads on what wheel to get and how to make it work w/the RNS-E system?

I was originally planning on putting more HP into the RS6, but after getting an R8, I ended up only spending about 1/4 of my time in the RS6, while putting 43K on the R8, so why bother?