PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter where I plug my sub woofers into on my amp?

adidas-shoe
August 6th, 2008, 06:44
I used 2-ohm DVC subs, mono amp: 2-ohm load wiring guide.

When I plug them into the speaker terminals of the amp it doesn't matter if I plug them they still work and sound the same even if I plug the positive into the negative hole on the amp. Does this matter? Is it safe?

The Pretender
August 6th, 2008, 12:15
All ways connect + with + and - with - .
The Question is have the amp 1 or 2 speaker terminals.
Futher how many sub's do you connect to it 1, 2, 3 or 4.
If it have 1 terminal you can connect one or two subs to the terminal the Watt/Ohm output will change.
If you have 2 terminals you can connect one, two, three or four subs to it.
Also in this case the Watt/Ohm output will change.
But only if you know wat you are doing it is wise to do it, because otherwise you can kill your amp.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
August 7th, 2008, 20:12
I used 2-ohm DVC subs, mono amp: 2-ohm load wiring guide.

When I plug them into the speaker terminals of the amp it doesn't matter if I plug them they still work and sound the same even if I plug the positive into the negative hole on the amp. Does this matter? Is it safe?

How many subs are we talking about here?

Though for the question you are asking it doesn't really matter, the reason you are not noticing any difference in the sound is mostly down to the crossover freq. were the subs are working in. Phasing which is when you change for positive to negative only in the subwoofers sometimes can tighten up the bass notes but this usually happens when the subs play up into the low-mid freq range (250hz), this is more common in a setup where sound quality is more important than feeling the bass.

I take it your subs have their crossover freq closer to 100~120Hz (maybe even lower) and are going for feeling the note than actually hearding it?

Are they boxed or open shelf? If boxed are they sealed or ported? If ported what is the tuning freq of the port? All of these things determine what is happening which you alter the phase.

Benman
August 7th, 2008, 22:31
Guys...

Look at the amount of posts he has, the username, the kinds of questions he asks, the link to his website... ;)

Ben:addict:

ben916
August 7th, 2008, 22:44
Guys...

Look at the amount of posts he has, the username, the kinds of questions he asks, the link to his website... ;)

YEAH!!! :(

Last week he was NIKEAF and the week before he was NIKE SHOE and the week before that ....

Benman
August 8th, 2008, 00:33
YEAH!!! :(

Last week he was NIKEAF and the week before he was NIKE SHOE and the week before that ....

No, no. The Nike Guy was completely different and totally innocent. ;) :D :applause: