PDA

View Full Version : RS6 vs Porsche Turbo

GoFastKindaGuy
July 20th, 2003, 21:33
On another thread, I was asked to report on the impressions between my RS6 (still on the boat) and my Twin Turbo (in my garage). Well, Road and Track beat me to it. In their August issue, they ran the turbo against the Viper and the RS6 against the E55 AMG. Therefore, with minor extraction, the Turbo vs RS6. Here is what they report, 0-100mph-0:

0-100 Porsche = 8.8 seconds; RS6 = 11.0 seconds

100-0 Porsche = 4.2 seconds; RS6 = 4.4 seconds

Test weight: Porsche = 3710 lb; RS6 = 4250 lb

BTW, GREAT ISSUE! Saleen vs Murcielago; Ferrari 575M vs SL55 AMG; 350Z vs S2000.

Can't wait to give first hand impressions -- should be about a month now.

:race:

Dave
July 20th, 2003, 22:02
What articles like that fail to impress is how cars differ on the road...

I had a minor race with a 911 turbo on the motorway.. between 70mph and 130mph (when he backed off) there was absolutly nothing in it...

now.. get the 911 on a twisty section of road and I have no doubt that I would be chasing shadows..

Again, the 911 would acclerate from 0 quicker because it's lighter and more aerodynamic....

I hope you enjoy your RS6 but it isn't a 911 substitute.. the 911 Turbo is probably up there with the best cars in the world. The RS6 is the best Estate car in the world.. there is a big difference :)

gregoryindiana
July 21st, 2003, 01:10
I sold my 97 993 C4S to make room for my incoming RS6. I could have room for one but not both, each will be used for the same recreational purposes. Not for racing or time trialing, just for some street fun and some trips round the country.

Why give up the 911 (granted not a Turbo, but a GREAT car nonetheless)? Because the 911 has such a high "profile" that you can't use it like any other car. I can accept that accidental scratches or dings could happen to any car, and that is something that you just know will happen in 5 or more years of nearly daily use. What I could never reconcile with the 911, and the reason it was rarely chosen over my Audi Ur S4 20v for daily driving, is that I could not reconcile to the idea of malicious, jealous vandalism that a high profile car like the 911 attracts in many areas in the states.

How many 911 owners could feel good about going inside to dine at a restaurant that did not have valets to watch the car. Ever left it outside the multiplex movie theatre on a Friday night?

These are things that i will be able to do with the RS6 that I could not do with the 911, and why it will be more enjoyable to me.

When I am not living in a 4 season climate, then I can have them both. I won't need the SUV. I know the RS6 is Quattro, but I have to be out before the plows, and I don't fancy the air dam/intercooler inlets stuffed full of snow.

Mal
July 21st, 2003, 08:56
I have a RS6 Avant and a Maserati 3200GT. They are both similar performance on paper but they feel completely different. The Maserati is more fun as a play thing but as a useable car the RS6 is unbeatable. I dont think there is a better blend of performance / practicality / and safety available. If I had to choose between them then I would keep the RS6 because it does everything.

But I would be sad to see the Maser go as it always brings a smile to my face as it fishtails up the road with the tyre alight.

I have also seen the R & T article on their website, and I think what all these tests miss is how useable the RS6's power is in all normal road conditions. I would bet if you took most good to average drivers (ie not proffesional racers) and put then in those same cars they they could drive the RS6 quicker than the E55 AMG or any other similar 2 wheel drive car.

GoFastKindaGuy
July 21st, 2003, 17:14
They are attractive. They are seductive. When you meet a kindred spirit, you exchange long looks. Cars are like women -- only without the divorce if you fool around with another one.

I love my Audis. I love Porsches. Heck, I even love my lowly Honda S2000 in a perverse, rev-it-to-the-moon way. Each has its special skill. When it rains or snows, the Quattro rules.

When my RS6 arrives and as requested, I will share my opinions. I acknowledge the cars are different. I can't wait to find out how!

:addict:

gregoryindiana, I am pleased I no longer live in a place where jealousy breeds vandalism. However, even here in Wisconsin, I get kinder remarks in the Honda than in the Turbo. Odd thing, the human.

Snow
July 22nd, 2003, 10:27
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy

gregoryindiana, I am pleased I no longer live in a place where jealousy breeds vandalism. However, even here in Wisconsin, I get kinder remarks in the Honda than in the Turbo. Odd thing, the human.

Reminds me of a trip to Germany not so long ago. I saw a Mercerdes S 600 that had fallen victim of a brutal "key-attack". Not a single panel was unharmed. Every door, even the hood and roof had been scratch with a key. They had done some seroius damage to it. I guess the owner was lucky that they didn't beat the crap out of it with a baseball bat or soemthing more aggressive.

Idiots. :vvangry: