PDA

View Full Version : Audi Tts 2008 Steering Wheel On Rs6 C5

vangelis
July 23rd, 2008, 21:23
Hii, I heard some ppl saying that it is possible to replace the oem steering wheel with the latest multifuntion steering wheel like the TTs one. Here is the link for one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-TTS-2008-STEERING-WHEEL-A3-S3-A4-S4-A6-S6-RS6-R8_W0QQitemZ140249836621QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item14 0249836621&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

I have ask the seller about the connections and he said that mechanical will fit but the airbag connections need some modifications. I also need to know whether the paddels shifts will work or not and how can I use the other functions on the wheels with RNS-E? Last question, is that price is resonable??

Thanks guys

GrantG
July 23rd, 2008, 21:36
After the fun and games I had swapping the MFSW for the 3 spoke paddle I wouldn't try it personally.

The C5 RS6 uses CAN bus connections for the MFSW and the tippy and audio controls go through the MFSW control module under the dash. The 3 spoke paddle wheel is directly wired to the TCU connections. I.e it doesn't use the CAN bus, plus the slip ring connections are different.

The airbag connections were the same between these 2 wheels which made it easier, but I do know that the different platforms often have different connections.

If you are good with wiring and can work it out then it should work providing the central shaft/spline fits ok, and that the igniters work the same of course!

HTH

Grant

vangelis
July 23rd, 2008, 22:00
Thanks for ur post,, do u have any links can give me more details on this modification??? i really like that steering wheel

GrantG
July 23rd, 2008, 23:17
Vangelis, not sure if I can be of any help given that I know nothing about the TTS wheel and don't have the wiring diagrams for it either. Sorry

If you can get hold of them I would advise looking at the wiring diagrams of the TTS as they should tell you how the wheel is connected (pin outs, wire colours and connections).

As you are going from 3 spoke (?) to MFSW I'd also suggest looking at this: http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/MFSW.pdf (brilliant doc from Robert Hawtin!! :bow: ) but this is from an A6. Looking at this coupled with the wiring diagrams enabled me to understand what was needed.

Cheers

Grant

vangelis
July 23rd, 2008, 23:20
Thankssss a lotttt

skiwi
July 25th, 2008, 09:31
from what i understand, this won't work. the slip rings are a different design and fitting would defeat even the most inventive. ditto the rs4 wheel and any of the newer stuff. your best (and only) bet is the mfsw which has a reasonable amount of btdt...

check out navplus.us for details.

ZeroCool
July 25th, 2008, 11:38
if you put the RS6 steering wheel into the new S3 or A4 or TT-S it's possible!

so why it should not work otherwise?

GrantG
July 30th, 2008, 12:31
Well the TTS wheel would need to talk to the C5 RS6 steering wheel control module via an RS6 slip ring (assuming you can correctly wire the connections) and transmit the user inputs via the CAN-BUS to the TCU, Stereo etc, but if that didn't work then you will have fun... That's also assuming the airbag igniters work the same or you will have no airbag like the B7 RS4 into B5 RS4 wheel conversions i've seen.

I really didn't get on with the C5 RS6 MFSW, those tippy buttons were naff compared to the paddles, IMHO. :)

Cheers

Grant

skiwi
August 2nd, 2008, 00:30
agreed, i have the mfsw in the allroad and while it is not bad, and the buttons are very nice, the standard wheel is miles better for driving. just a shame there are not more options out there. the rs4 wheel would be nice...