PDA

View Full Version : Audi R4 is not a closed book.

The Pretender
July 15th, 2008, 21:06
It start to look like the R4 is not a closed book.
There are indications that it still can be built in the future.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5748/9071207006mini7l1da9.jpg

Jarod.

Rage
July 15th, 2008, 21:56
Source??

Mockenrue
July 16th, 2008, 09:16
Page three of the 'Car' magazine article that Marv posted:

What about a smaller R8?

"A possibility. We've reported before about an R4 and our source confirmed that despite Audi offering the TT and R8, there is still room in Audi's model line-up for more 'R' sports cars."

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/Audi-RS4-A1-S5-and-R8-V10-details/?content-block=2

Benman
July 18th, 2008, 00:29
I'd hit it. Love the mini-me R8 look. :)

Ben:addict:

Cargo8
July 21st, 2008, 03:00
i love that rendering you posted. there are others i'm not so fond of. i'd like to see this car become a reality though

The Pretender
July 23rd, 2008, 20:04
Audi R4.

http://www.autobild.de/ir_img/58873699_34b266b0c2.jpg (http://www.autobild.de/ir_img/58873699_34b266b0c2.jpg)

http://www.autobild.de/ir_img/58871090_c494da29b1.jpg

Jarod.

AndyBG
July 23rd, 2008, 20:08
I like this.

It looks agresive...

JavierNuvolari
July 23rd, 2008, 20:16
Whoa...that thing Jarod is like the bastard child between Alfa, Audi and something to be determined....:S

Saludos.

w00d00
July 23rd, 2008, 20:23
awful:lovl:

Audiphile
July 29th, 2008, 23:19
I read that the it will not be a R4, but the next generation TT is set to be mid-engined say around 2012.

The Pretender
July 31st, 2008, 14:09
I read that the it will not be a R4, but the next generation TT is set to be mid-engined say around 2012.
There is a hole of a lot that can change between today and 2012.

Jarod.

funky
August 1st, 2008, 20:59
:noshake: not liking the silver one, though it was either a Cadillac or some Japanese inspired design

red looks great, but I wonder if 196cm tall people would fit in it? :alig:

Leadfoot
August 3rd, 2008, 12:19
There is a hole of a lot that can change between today and 2012.

Jarod.

As jarod says, lots can happen with such a long time scale. The only thing for sure is that one of these two is currently under development, I like the idea of a small mid-engined coupe in the style of the Cayman but it's appeal would be greatly reduced compared to the more practical TT. If Audi were to offer an R4 mid-engined Coupe then they should keep the TT's front-engined format as well, I see both selling along side each other though I am not so sure that Audi could see a marketing plan in terms of cost to offer both cars in a similar price bracket.

The Pretender
August 3rd, 2008, 12:41
As jarod says, lots can happen with such a long time scale. The only thing for sure is that one of these two is currently under development, I like the idea of a small mid-engined coupe in the style of the Cayman but it's appeal would be greatly reduced compared to the more practical TT. If Audi were to offer an R4 mid-engined Coupe then they should keep the TT's front-engined format as well, I see both selling along side each other though I am not so sure that Audi could see a marketing plan in terms of cost to offer both cars in a similar price bracket.
In that case Audi should change the TT to a longitudinal engine layout with the new V6 3.0TFSI Supercharged engine as top of the range.
But i think "R4" is the code name of a Mid engined TT Mk3.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
August 3rd, 2008, 12:53
If Audi redesign the TT into a mid-engined layout then we might see a setup similar to the 1series coupe, though hopefully a lot prettier. Audi need a practical coupe, the people in this price bracket don't usually have another car, so practicality will play a big role in it's success.

The Pretender
August 3rd, 2008, 13:08
The practicality will be out off the window if the TT transfer to a mid engined car.
I would prefer a longitudinal engine layout for the next TT.

But if you read the Autobild article they talk about a ± 1000 Kg mid engined car with max 220 hp to keep it out of the way of the Boxster/Cayman and compete with cars like the Lotus Elize/Exige.
In that case it means a downgrade for the TT or a model under the TT IMHO.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
August 3rd, 2008, 14:50
The practicality will be out off the window if the TT transfer to a mid engined car.
I would prefer a longitudinal engine layout for the next TT.

But if you read the Autobild article they talk about a ± 1000 Kg mid engined car with max 220 hp to keep it out of the way of the Boxster/Cayman and compete with cars like the Lotus Elize/Exige.
In that case it means a downgrade for the TT or a model under the TT IMHO.

Jarod.

A longitude TT is a big possibility because we will have it probably using the new MLP platform as will the A3.

A R4 with such an output and weight would be a totally different car and as such shouldn't hinder both models to be sold side by side. There might not be that much of a difference in price though because the R4 will most likely be using some expensive products to keep the weight down.

The Pretender
August 3rd, 2008, 15:16
In the past i have changed idea's about a next gen A3 based on the A4 B8 underpinning with Dr Martin Winterkorn.
I told him by mail that it would make a much better A3.
I don't know if Audi do something with that idea.

Jarod.