PDA

View Full Version : Gov't of Canada harmonizes bumper standard

Bigglezworth
July 14th, 2008, 04:52
Why does this matter you say? Well as a Canadian I have wanted to own an RS6 for many years. Until just a couple of weeks ago the only way I would ever own one was:

1. Move to the US and become an American - Not an easy thing to do and not desirable anyway;
2. Locate one of the 90 cars that were sold by Audi Canada in 2004;
3. Wait 15 years until the car dropped off the inadmissable list for the Registrars of Imported Vehicles.

Two weeks ago the Canadian Gov't finally caved to increased pressure from something I guess, because the RS6 is now available for import into Canada. It all has to do with the Bumper Standards. If you are at all interested in the specifics of this you can check out the legalities here. http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releases/nat/2008/08-h158e.htm

I can now start a solid search for the best RS6 for me now in hopes of having one imported prior to Thanksgiving. At this point I've started browzing aution sites and the autotraders. If anyone from the board here has one they are going to be selling, I'd more than welcome getting more information. You can email me at Bigglezworth@shaw.ca.

I've put my Volvo S60R Sonic Blue 6MT up for sale and hope to offset some of the cost for the purchase of the RS6. Fingers crossed I'll be an owner in a few weeks/months.

Cheers
Tim

DuckWingDuck
July 14th, 2008, 05:18
hehe, a bit of reading and searching will turn up a few though in the last few days I think mmaturo and copper's are off the market but DBLIPA is still looking to let his excellent avus silver one go.

AndyBG
July 14th, 2008, 11:00
Is this mean that you can import RS 6 from Europe...?

Bigglezworth
July 14th, 2008, 15:04
Is this mean that you can import RS 6 from Europe...?I do believe so - yes. I suspect the $$$ for importing from that far away however would be substantially more. I've done lots of importing from the US (6 cars in 6 years), but nothing from anywhere else. I would love to have the Avant which of course you can't get in the US.

AndyBG
July 14th, 2008, 15:24
Best place for you search... :thumb:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?scopeId=C&lang=en

Good luck! :thumb:

ben916
July 14th, 2008, 18:31
I do believe so - yes. I suspect the $$$ for importing from that far away however would be substantially more. I've done lots of importing from the US (6 cars in 6 years), but nothing from anywhere else. I would love to have the Avant which of course you can't get in the US.

There was ONE avant in the US and it was located in Chino, California or someplace close to that. It was either DWD or DBLIPA that directed the forum to an Autotrader ad....

It was $70k US...

You COULD make a wicked trip out of it:
1. drive the Vulvo down, trade it...
2. do a day of disney, if that is your bag, baby! (a little goldfinger there for ya...)
3. San Diego Foreign Auto meet on August 10th at the "Q" qualcomm stadium... Kinda be the star o' the show...
4. Park at the Las Americas mall at the Border, take your passport and head to TJ for a quick margherita, back to the US for the health sprint up the I-15 to stretch the RS6's legs to Vegas, SLC, MT, CAN...

DuckWingDuck
July 14th, 2008, 18:43
Paul Walker (the cheesy actor dude) apparently paid for an S6 to be "RS6'ed" and it is apparently floating out there as a fake RS6. I don't know if the Chino one that was found is that car. The fake RS6 was, the last I heard of it, registered in Arizona however the current owner does live in California. So, take it for what it's worth.

ben916
July 14th, 2008, 18:52
I guess that it would come up when you registered it and the screen displayed S6 Avant not RS6 Avant. I would wait for the V10 then...

Hmmmm... So one could import an 08 RS6 from UK to CANADA and then CANADA to USA.... Expensive....

DuckWingDuck
July 14th, 2008, 18:55
do it ben, do it!!

ben916
July 14th, 2008, 19:15
On the declining US$, it may be a while.... :)

DuckWingDuck
July 14th, 2008, 19:35
that's why you gotta do it now before the dollar sinks anymore! ;)

CornersWell
July 14th, 2008, 21:58
... and not desirable anyway...

Dude! And, what's wrong with that? Don't be hatin'!

Never thought I'd EVER use that phrase, but somehow it seems appropriate!

CW

Bigglezworth
July 22nd, 2008, 17:22
Committed to purchasing a used 2003 late last night. Hoping the deal goes well.

Tim

DuckWingDuck
July 22nd, 2008, 17:36
Congrats! Pics to share? How much did you payif you don' mind my asking?

mmaturo
July 22nd, 2008, 22:58
hehe, a bit of reading and searching will turn up a few though in the last few days I think mmaturo and copper's are off the market but DBLIPA is still looking to let his excellent avus silver one go.

Mine is not traded in yet but close, next 3 or 4 weeks...64K miles Daytona/Silver interior...$36K (just over my trade in number and includes my 19" 5 spoke wheels which are $$).

Bigglezworth
July 23rd, 2008, 01:49
Congrats! Pics to share? How much did you payif you don' mind my asking?
You can drop me an email @ bigglezworth@shaw.ca and I can shed some light on things for you. I will not post this information in a public forum.

Regards,
Tim

Benman
July 23rd, 2008, 17:39
On the declining US$, it may be a while.... :) Ditto that... I am double thinking any pricey cars right now. ;)

Ben