PDA

View Full Version : Is my car chipped???

REALYSM
July 14th, 2008, 00:41
I am happy to say that i have just purchased a 2003 Daytona/Blk RS6 a few days ago. This is by far the best all around car that I have ever owned. I am aware of common issues and maintenance cost so I am not asking the typical question which I know can be answered by using the search feature. However, I am wondering if there is a way that I can tell if my car has been chipped without taking it to the dyno? Any signs to look for? I have driven and owned many fast cars but this car feels much faster than 450hp would dictate? I would appreciate anyones input on the subject. Thanks all.:addict:

DuckWingDuck
July 14th, 2008, 01:07
welcome! I would say that more than likely, your car isn't chipped but there isn't a way to easily tell without dyno or vagcom. This car is quite muscular and as you can already see, it's sporty and goes vroom vroom very easily.

RS6-4dr911
July 14th, 2008, 03:17
Duck - How can you tell if it's chipped with VAGCOM?

DuckWingDuck
July 14th, 2008, 03:37
I'm assuming that there's gotta be a way, otherwise, how would dealer know if you did? I don't know this definitely though!

cornishmoocher
July 14th, 2008, 06:26
If you press the loud pedal and you hit 60mph in under 4.5 seconds- it is probably chipped, if it will do 180+ it is probably chipped, if it holds the gears past 40ish in first 65ish in second, 105ish in 3rd, 150 in fourth, then it is probably chipped, but as Duck says, it probably isn't, you would have been told at the purchase i would have thought.
They are rediculously quick cars that achieve silly speeds very easily and very quickly as standard.

Good purchase anyway! Get some pics up on the how many beasts on board thread!

Cheers Alex

AndyBG
July 14th, 2008, 11:02
I think that there isn't way to see is car chipped with VAGCOM...

peiserg
July 15th, 2008, 20:05
you guys lack imagination. easiest is check the tranny chip. if the ox has been opened, its probably chipped. also can check the ecu box for the same. most chips require TCU to be physically removed. apr requires ecu removal. other than that, the vagcom on block 15 checks boost. just do a few runs. more than 0.8bar means you're chipped.

itchingtogo
July 18th, 2008, 14:53
According to OCT the ECU records "flashes" and that is how most dealers know if its been chipped. It's even worse when you change programs on a regular basis (race - stock) like Revo and Giac. Sticks out like a sore thumb. This is how I checked mine. Did not want to pay for what i might already have.

REALYSM
July 18th, 2008, 15:48
Yeah, I figured. The tech at my dealership put the car on the diagnotistic tool and said that it either was or is chipped based on some code that he is seeing. I had a four hundred horsepower STi before this car and it did not feel nearly this fast although it ran low to mid twelves in the quarter mile. Thats why I think something has been done to this car. Hmmm...maybe I should get a boost gauge to check the boost readings.

REALYSM
July 19th, 2008, 21:20
If my car does happen to be currently chipped then what happens if I purchase the REVO flash? Will it clash with programming and cause issues I wonder? There has got to be a simple way to tell if it is chipped without paying for dyno time. Where is the ECU located? Would I be able to access it and see if it has been tampered with per a visual inspection? :mech:

DuckWingDuck
July 19th, 2008, 21:39
the new software will just overwrite the old one

peiserg
July 19th, 2008, 21:56
jeez dude i already told you. check the TCU. if it's been opened it's most likely chipped. it takes literally 3 minutes.

or if you prefer, have someone check the max boost. if it's looking for more than 1800 mb, you are definitely chipped, no question.

you want to waste your money on chipping a car that's already (maybe) chipped, thats up to you.

the dyno wont tell you anything. my car dynos 330 awhp stock, and 375 chipped. others on here dyno 400 stock. all that tells me is the dyno to dyno difference is ridiculous.

DuckWingDuck
July 19th, 2008, 22:09
lol@peiserg getting pissed off.

Spidercat
July 20th, 2008, 01:40
Follow the link at the bottom to open the PDF "all tiptronic" on how to find the ECU:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/faq/awefaq_main.cfm?FAQ=25

REALYSM
July 20th, 2008, 02:44
Thank you SpiderCat for the thread. Truly helpful as I am altogehter new to these vehicles. Thanks again.

DuckWingDuck
July 20th, 2008, 03:42
if you're thinking about the revo, I don't think you need to remove the ECU, I thought it was flashable through the ODBC II port?

Spidercat
July 20th, 2008, 04:39
True, but I think he just wanted to look at the ECU housing to see if it's been cracked open before. Also, the Revo flash comes with a 30-day refund, or at least used to.

Boosted-Bora
July 20th, 2008, 20:12
I think that there isn't way to see is car chipped with VAGCOM...

depending on the software used there is a way to tell on the vagcom if it is a manipulation software ie: GIAC APR EPL ect ect then it will pop up when you scan it saying the software serial number followed by #GIAC USA ect ect but tunes like OCT and Unitronic which are remaps will not be able to be detected as the car thinks it is the norm.

Copper
July 21st, 2008, 21:50
When I dropped off my RS6 to get the rear DRC repaired, they performed the 45K service as well and asked if the car was chipped. I forgot to turn the Revo flash program back to stock. I asked how they knew and he said they saw the Revo box in my glove box. Doh! They were super cool about it and didn't care. When my DRC is completed I will be sure to ask if they can detect if the ECU has been modified from stock. Revo says if you flash back to the stock program that there is no way to detect any changes. Perhaps the FPGA creates a little history/data trail every time it is updated/flashed?

Spidercat
July 21st, 2008, 23:54
Copper, it's like we're living parallel lives! I also brought mine in for a 45K mi tune up and asked them to check out the CEL which had just gone on. I had remembered to switch the Revo to stock before dropping it off. They also didn't detect the Revo while checking out the CEL. Anway, DRC issue was also discovered, so I decided to get the MTM TCU upgraded while awaiting the DRC parts. When I picked up the car, my SA also asked me if the car was chipped. I figured "don't ask, don't tell" was no longer an option, so I told. I asked him how he knew. He said that the tech saw the receipt (I keep maintenance records under the passenger's floormat in a little folder:doh: ) when he went to change out the TCU (under the passenger's floorboard). He also didn't care. We talked about the Revo, and I agreed to take him for a spin sometime in "race fuel" mode! :burnout:Anyway, similar stories.

Copper
July 23rd, 2008, 14:49
Too funny. Turns out my DRC was fine. The little leak was some oil from the road. The system checked out fine. I had a CV boot replaced that was cracked and the 45K service. Now I just need to find some time to drop off the A4 loaner and pick up the beast.

Fonzie Audi
July 23rd, 2008, 15:54
damn you copper. :) i'm gonna be stuck with the A4 loaner another week and a half! (that will be 2 1/2 weeks total).

enjoy the beast when you get it back - you don't realize how good you have it until it's taken away!

enjoy your car

DuckWingDuck
July 23rd, 2008, 16:54
forget you people, I've been in this shitty A4 for like six weeks!!! :p

Spidercat
July 23rd, 2008, 19:24
Copper- Another "me too" on the CV boots! (that explains my extra-dirty front wheels lately- I though it was just that ubiquitous brake dust)!

Fonzie- Did they get that new trans delivered yet? You should get your loaner Revo-flashed for the free 30-day trial period! Naw, I bet that's not allowed. You could make a case though re:safety while merging into traffic as you talked about before.

DWD- You, my friend, win for the suckiest time award! Are you getting the run around from the dealer, warranty co, or just having your parts shipped by pack-mule?

DuckWingDuck
July 23rd, 2008, 19:45
spidey - there was a lot of heel dragging on the part of everybody involved and my car sat at the dealership for about three weeks before anything was even done to it. And then when things got rolling there were some confusion that I had to step in to clear up between a couple different shops and a field inspector that was quite strange. Things are progressing and should be done by the time I get back from my business trip. I'll have been out of the country twice before I get my car back, I seriously don't remember what it looks like anymore. Heh.

Copper
July 23rd, 2008, 21:31
Ok, drove two blocks and heard the "clunk" in the rear. Made a U-turn and it's back at the dealer and my little white A4 loaner is back.

They are inspecting again. Geez.

More to follow I'm sure.

Fonzie Audi
July 23rd, 2008, 21:49
Copper - i'm sorry so man. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. just try to be patient..

Spidey - great idea! although if i do the chip, i may get carried away and throw some exhaust and a carbinio intake in there.. then i'll have another A4 sitting my driveway. Yes, they got the new tranny ordered, but it's been a week and a half, and it's still not delivered yet. i have a feeling they aren't rushing it one bit. i called today to check the status, and request a loaner S4. didn't work out too well..

Spidercat
July 23rd, 2008, 21:58
My car seemed like it was going to be moth-balled at the dealer (SA and warranty rep were at loggerheads re: accumulator valves w/DRC). Warranty rep agreed to pay, but needed documentation. SA still hadn't been able to locate/find the technical advisory bulletin after more than a week to send to the warranty co. Also, the warranty co didn't want to do a half-a$$ed job, so they didn't want to NOT replace the central valves ($3k for both). It was a catch-22 and noone was budging.

I called BS and searched this forum long and hard (Search isn't always your friend! In fact, sometimes it seems like a nemesis, esp when you don't really know what you're searching for!) for the "special" RS6 owner's hotline to AoA that I had remembered seeing in a totally unrelated thread a while back.

Anyway, I called the hotline and spoke to Diane at AoA, explained my simple problem, and the seas parted! The paperwork magically appeared at the end of the day, was faxed to the warranty co, parts ordered, and had the car back on the road within about a week! Man was she ever helpful! I even brought some boxes of chocolate over to the dealer when I picked my car up for the techs and the SAs!

So, if you need someone to remind the dealer that you're a "valued" customer, the 8-series/RS-series AoA hotline # is (drumroll please) :

Also, you'll need your VIN handy.
(thanks to Blitzen for originally posting this in a thread a long time ago!)
Give them a try if you think you're getting the run-around. I bet your problem will also magically "disappear."

Copper
July 24th, 2008, 21:29
Picked up the car today. It was a simple fix, control arm bushings. No more clunk.

Happy to have the beast back and running strong.

:rs6kiss: