PDA

View Full Version : the ALL NEW RS 4?

Benman
July 17th, 2003, 22:40
the lastest news complements of autoweek

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=08557755

Ben :addict: :addict: :cheers:

:rs4addict :bow:

krm
July 18th, 2003, 04:39
can't wait until the days when we have more informaton on this one... Avant version please!

:rs4addict

Klint
July 18th, 2003, 11:16
Thanks for the Article.

likely powered by a bi-turbo version of the all-aluminum 3.0-liter V6

No Bi-Turbo V8? :(

:cheers:

Aragorn
July 18th, 2003, 14:52
Thanks for the link, Benman.

Originally posted by krm
Avant version please!
Has Audi commented on why the RS6 isn't offered as Avant in North America? (Given that the RS6 wasn't, I would suspect that, regrettably, there won't be an Avant version in the US :()

But you never know... maybe Audi will also offer the RS4 in some novel body styles: do I hear a coupe and a convertible?
(http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1177Somewhat related thread (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1177))

Originally posted by Klint
No Bi-Turbo V8? :(
Maybe they'll fit it all in under two rather massive power bulges on the hood :hihi:

Obviously this is a test car, but if I were to venture a rather conservative guess, I'd think that the front will feature that (for lack of better words) reborn "Auto Union" grille.

In any case, I'm sure that when it's released, the car will look sleek, purposeful, and, yes, a little pugnacious... and I'm sure the looks will only hint at the might of this car! Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it!

:rs4addict

Benman
July 18th, 2003, 16:29
Aragorn,

the crappy reason we didn't get the avant is the stupid "fed" regulations that our government wanted Audi to comply with. our (U.S.) government wanted Audi to spend the money to crash test the Avant even though Audi had already crash tested the sedan. that involves ALOT of $$$ and the fact they will only bring @1,000 cars stateside (with only 100-300 avants prevented Audi money wise from viewing it as worthwhile. a REAL shame our government had to be so hard nosed.:(

Ben:addict:

Aragorn
July 18th, 2003, 18:45
Thanks for the info, Benman.

What? The U.S. government is hard-nosed? :360:

Nordschleife
July 21st, 2003, 12:28
Guys
If you talk to Len Hunt, he will tell you that the reason AOA brought the RS6 Sedan to the US is because the S6 Avant was a failure on the market. Whilst this is true, it should be noted that the S6 was a failure in all markets, whether Avant or Sedan.
A further point to consider is the presence of the battery hump in the US cars, whilst an irritation in the Sedan, it would be a disaster in an Avant.

HTH

R+C

Speedracer
July 21st, 2003, 23:02
Don't know why they can't put the battery under the rear seat as it is in my '95 A6 Avant.

Klint
July 22nd, 2003, 00:09
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Guys
If you talk to Len Hunt, he will tell you that the reason AOA brought the RS6 Sedan to the US is because the S6 Avant was a failure on the market. Whilst this is true, it should be noted that the S6 was a failure in all markets, whether Avant or Sedan.
A further point to consider is the presence of the battery hump in the US cars, whilst an irritation in the Sedan, it would be a disaster in an Avant.

HTH

R+C

Well, the main problem, I think the Avant has is the enormous size of the pick-up segment of the car market in the US of A. These I believe would compete with each other directly. Leaving hardly any room in the market for such a vehicle as the RS6/S6 Avant. Then there's the SUV's to compete with in the states.
:rolleyes:

Aragorn
July 22nd, 2003, 02:06
Originally posted by Klint
Well, the main problem, I think the Avant has is the enormous size of the pick-up segment of the car market in the US of A. These I believe would compete with each other directly. Leaving hardly any room in the market for such a vehicle as the RS6/S6 Avant. Then there's the SUV's to compete with in the states.
:rolleyes:

I don't quite see the Avant being a direct competitor to pick-up trucks; rather, I would think that Europeans, generally speaking, overwhelmingly prefer station wagons to pick-up trucks while for Americans, it's the other way around. I'm still puzzled by the numbers of Swedish carpenters that drive a station wagon where it seems to me a pick up truck would be superior. Likewise, compared to Europe, I'm astonished at the vast number of people who--seemingly needlessly--prefer a truck as their daily drive.

Then of course, there's the SUV craze. Many (often bitter) writings by more or less qualified writers have examined the psychology of SUVs: how they supposedly resonate with "the American spirit" in their embodiment of ideals of freedom, flight from convention, and exploring wide expanses of land, etc etc.

I won't follow that track, partially because I haven't read nearly enough on the subject, partially because I'd rather the discuss cars with respect to design, technicalities, and the environments they are used in (not to say, though, that I don't find the lifestyle aspects of the car industry fascinating).

(Before I move on, though, I will recommend the article Southern Comfort from the July 2002 issue of Automobile Magazine (http://www.automobilemag.com). It describes a journey with the Cadillac Escalade EXT and the Lincoln Blackwood, and provides a mix of narrative and commentary that I find interesting and terribly striking. If I had access to a scanner, I would put it on the net--if anyone would like to read it, let me know and I'll make an effort to digitize the article.)

What appears to be a large part of the appeal of the SUVs is the elevated driving position, something the A6 and other station wagons (crossovers such as the allroad quattro included) simply don't offer. I must confess to this appeal: it becomes much easier to overlook the traffic (at least back when the SUVs first made it big... :rolleyes: ).

But we all know how the higher center of gravity worsens the driving dynamics. The things is--does it really matter? Please bear with my gross generalizations as I try to make my point.

My experience is that American roads are more plentiful, wider, and smoother. With some exceptions, I also find the traffic much less aggressive--briefly, it's often easier to drive there and consequently, the need for an agile car to zip between lanes and on tight country roads is much smaller. Why, then, not go for an SUV, especially when you really don't compromise anything (well, not really if you're concerned with driving pleasure :)).

Furthermore, the traffic I've seen in America doesn't reach nearly as high speeds as the one I've seen in Europe. Therefore, why be concerned with high speed ability, or top speed for that matter. (On that note, Volkswagen, as far as I understand it, will limit Phaeton W12's speed to 130 mph in North America). After all, is it a coincidence that the three top performance sedans in the world are all manufactured in Germany? :incar:

So, what's the need for a $60k S6 Avant or an $85k RS6 when Lexus will sell you an RX300 for less than forty grand? (Although I'm know which one I'd like... :addict: )

http://www.edmunds.com/media/news/column/writeanddrive/02.jan/02.lexus.rx300.500.jpg
(The previous-generation) Lexus RX300

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2002/audi.s6.avant/02.audi.s6avant.f34.500.jpg
Well, what could this be...? A wolf in sheep's clothing, perhaps :-)

This turned out to be a very long post, and I haven't even gotten around to talking about soccer moms... :D

Hopefully my points came across even though I'm tired...

Cheers,

Aragorn

Qship
July 22nd, 2003, 05:16
I remember that article. I actually wrote in about it. I found it absolutely hysterical. I agree with a lot that was being hinted at.

That said. I drive a big giant Tahoe right now. There's something extraordinarily American about a Chevy V8. I hunt. I live in Texas. I got huge mud tires and I USE them. Its no fun on the road of course but offroad? Where it counts, its great. If you've never been mudding with a southerner you're missing out. My father has a GMC Yukon Denali with a 6.0 liter V8 and AWD. Its the most incredible long distance driver I know of, bar none. Nothing hauls that many people and that much gear without a complaint from sea level to 9,500 in Colorado with an AVERAGE speed of 75 and a AVG MPG of 16 mpg.

I've basically come to the conclusion that EVERY car has its place. In a country where gas prices aare where they are V8 rule. THats simple. For me perfectoin is when I can afford to have both a sports car/sports sedan and a truck. Next time I want a Chevy 2500 HD quad cab with the Duramax diesel. :MTM:

Of course I am getting a S4 now so....take what I say how ever you will. :hihi:

PS: I'll post a picture of it sometime, the Tahoe I mean.

Found it.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid35/p6b44f7dde215bb1c3039a13fc522b12a/fd2a9948.jpg

Finnus
July 22nd, 2003, 13:33
I think if you took a poll, simply put, most US drivers just don't find the Avant "sexy".

Has anyone heard anything from their Audi dealers regarding the rumored RS4 for the States?

Finnus

Klint
July 22nd, 2003, 13:57
Aragorn,

You've completely hit the nail on the head..amazing write-up. :0:

Qship,

You have yourself a nice 'Truck', we got to make do with a X5 for the 'off-road' adventures. Nice to see it muddy too...Although the furthest we've had it 'off-road', is on grass. Typical. :rolleyes: