PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Track Day

bobey
July 11th, 2008, 11:35
Hello,
Here are some pictures of the new RS6 in green on the track. Unfortunately I didn't take that many pictures. The weather was crap and I was coming back in two days to do some more RS6 on track. However the when I did go back yesterday the weather was perfect although my camera batteries were not :-( doh! I forgot to charge the camera. Anyhow a few pictures of the day I didn't drive :-).

However when I drove yesterday I must say I was a bit disappointed with the car. Don't get me wrong it's a great car but some how the equation doesn't really add up for me. On the track one notices that the car is a heavy beast. Go into a corner to fast and there is definite under steer and you really feel the weight of the car. It's fast but it's defiantly not a track car. The one I drove wasn't equipped with ceramics but it really needed them. The breaks were smoking hot after but a few laps.

Also the car is fast yet somehow the sense of speed is lost due to all the "comfort extras". It did not feel significantly faster than my RS4. Even on the straights. The gear box is great but I prefer manual. That however is pure taste. Otherwise the car looks superb. The comfort level is top notch and the technology is all there (as in all the stuff you need).

However what I mean when I say it doesn't add up for me is the price really and what I fear will be some killer depreciation. Buying one here in Latvia is pretty much accepting that you won't be selling it any time soon for anything other than an insultingly low price. The market here is simply way too small. Also considering that Audi here sold something like 3 RS4's I think it they get one RS6 sold I'll be surprised. Also consider things such as the current economic lookout and the rising price of petrol I think this car is a hard sell. At 150K EUR with all the extras I rather keep the RS4 as a family car and buy me a V10 R8 next year if it's out then.

So for me this test drive was important. It eliminated the RS6 from my decision list. Now it's down to two or three cars :-).

We will be having a RS/S Audi track day here in Riga in August and I'll post some pictures from it once that has happened. Maybe there will be an RS6 there so I can get some interior shots.

// jpb

bobey
July 11th, 2008, 11:39
For some reason two of the pictures can't be uploaded as attachments.

http://iloapp.intellibit.net/data/_gallery/public/0/1215773192_resized.jpg
http://iloapp.intellibit.net/data/_gallery/public/0/1215773186_resized.jpg
http://iloapp.intellibit.net/data/_gallery/public/0/1215773188_resized.jpg
http://iloapp.intellibit.net/data/_gallery/public/0/1215773191_resized.jpg

ben916
July 11th, 2008, 17:11
Sounds like a ton o' fun!!!

How was the quattro in the rain and on the track?
The exhaust note in the cabin? outside?
Did you get a chance to test the selectible DRC settings?

We all read what the rags want to write biased or not, it would be informative on your opinions.

bobey
July 11th, 2008, 18:39
Sounds like a ton o' fun!!!

How was the quattro in the rain and on the track?
The exhaust note in the cabin? outside?
Did you get a chance to test the selectible DRC settings?

We all read what the rags want to write biased or not, it would be informative on your opinions.

Hello,
Actually I didn't drive it in the wet. I came and watched only that day. When I drove it was great weather. So to answer your questions:

1. The exhaust note was actually one of the things I forgot to mention that I wanted to. It's truly fantastic from the outside and even better sounds great inside as well. I was surprised how much of the raw grunt you heard when sitting in the back seat. Strangely (or not so really) enough that is the best place in the car when it comes to acoustics. The exhausts really make themselves heard from there. I didn't expect that much sound inside the coupe of a luxury car of this type. I mean it's what I like to call an executive autobahn racer. They tend to limit noise inside the car.

2. Yes I tried the DRC. The only thing that surprised me was that sport mode was quite harsh and I doubt that I would use it except on the track. It felt much harsher than my RS4 which has sport suspension. Seeing as how there are tons of cobblestone roads in Riga it would hardly be used :-).

Other than that the quality of everything is usual Audi quality so not much to say there. The seats (sport not bucket unfortunately) are insanely comfortable and provided good (not great but good) support however I am a bit of a bucket seat freak so I'd still go for them.

The back seat was spacious and you'd have to be seriously large not to sit comfortably in the back. One thing that did disappoint was the fact that the back seats were not individually adjustable, or even adjustable at all!? As far as I've seen it's not in the optionals' either.

That's all I can think of know. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

// jpb

ben916
July 11th, 2008, 20:41
...One thing that did disappoint was the fact that the back seats were not individually adjustable, or even adjustable at all!?

More than likely to keep down on the chubbiness of the beast as many people/reviews state that it is slightly porky. Yeah, and adjustable rear seats would really tip the scales... j/k

Oh, one other question, did the rear seats fold down flat? On the Top Gear comparo of the Merc E55 AMG avant and the BMW M5 avant, the Merc folded down flat with some crazy sliding rear floor. The M5 folded down but not FLAT... Some say a bone of contention...

What options were on it, if you can remember?
How was the heat from the engine?

bobey
July 12th, 2008, 11:30
More than likely to keep down on the chubbiness of the beast as many people/reviews state that it is slightly porky. Yeah, and adjustable rear seats would really tip the scales... j/k

Oh, one other question, did the rear seats fold down flat? On the Top Gear comparo of the Merc E55 AMG avant and the BMW M5 avant, the Merc folded down flat with some crazy sliding rear floor. The M5 folded down but not FLAT... Some say a bone of contention...

What options were on it, if you can remember?
How was the heat from the engine?

I didn't fold the seats but I actually thought about it when I was looking at the boot. However I think they are exactly like the RS4 in that they don't fold all the way down. They are at an angle. I think interior wise the RS6 is exactly like the A6. The only difference in options is that you can get self closing doors for the RS6 and not the A/S6 only the A8 I think has that. As for the boot this vehicle had the luggage securing rails with the straps and such, which I was told was standard for the RS6 however in the documentation it is listed as optional. Also there is no spare tire in the boot only a tire mobility kit. The navigation DVD-ROM and CD changer are located in the boot on the left side which I'm not that fond of. I prefer the front dash for the DVD and the glove compartment for the changer, but that's just me. The battery is located in the boot as well where the tire is supposed to be.

I think these are all of the optionals on this car but I might had missed some:

PDG Insulating glass
4X4 Rear side airbags
PT5 Preparation for mobile phone (Bluetooth) with centre armrest
3Y3 Manual blinds for rear window and rear door windows
VC1 Garage door opener (HomeLink)
4F2 Advanced key
PNC Navigation system plus with DVD
PAH Exterior mirrors with automatic anti-glare action, electrically folding, memory function; Interior mirror with automatic anti-glare action; note: only in conjunction with PV3 or PV6.
PIH ISOFIX child seat mounting with switch for front-passenger airbag deactivation
PV6 Memory function for front seats
3GN Load-securing kit
PXA Adaptive light
PGA Luggage compartment lid, automatically actuated
7X8 Audi parking system advanced
4Y2 Lockable side compartment
PZH Power-assisted closing for the doors
7D3 CD changer and Audi music interface
2FU RS leather-covered multifunction sports steering wheel (aluminium-look shift paddles, thicker steering wheel rim with smaller diameter, flat-bottomed)

As for the heat. I actually never checked the oil temp but I did check the consumption and it was 4.2L/100Km :-). When I opened the hood though the motor was warm. I felt kinda like opening an oven :-) and the fan was working overtime. Also I reflected on how loud the fan was. I had to raise my voice quite a bit when we were talking in front of the car.

// jpb

AndyBG
July 12th, 2008, 11:59
More. and more reading these reviews, I'm getting feeling that new RS 6 will be ''blank fire'' from Audi..

No one, and I think that everybody can say this, no one isn't fascinated with it...

The RS6
July 12th, 2008, 12:14
I did check the consumption and it was 4.2L/100Km :-)

Huh? You sure about that? :hihi:

AndyBG
July 12th, 2008, 12:27
I think that is ''standing still'' consumption... :D

bobey
July 12th, 2008, 12:43
Huh? You sure about that? :hihi:

haha.. yeah in my dreams... Nock a zero off that :-).

// jpb

ben916
July 14th, 2008, 18:18
Thanks for the detailed review!!!