PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a 2003 RS6?

jbtexas
July 9th, 2008, 01:20
I know that this is a little like walking into a crack house and asking whether or not its fun to get high, but here goes...

I am a long-time car enthusiast with the reality (and blessing) of an increasing family size. I have two young toddler boys now, and I am toying with the idea of selling my sports car and daily beater to purchase a fun/fast/unique sedan.

I first have to point out that I tried this once before, but I think that my problem was not getting an automatic. A few years back, I purchased a brand new RS4. And while it was a fun car, I felt that it neither worked as a sports car (too heavy, too soft) OR as a fun fast autobahn 4-door (too small, manual transmission). I dont care for BMWs, and as much as I am tempted the C63 AMG, I think that I would enjoy the rarity, Quattro, etc. on the RS6 better.

If I did this, I would only be interested in a very low mileage, CPO'd car, and willing to pay top price if the condition was right, etc.

1) Any other parents out there with car seats in the backs of their RS6s?
2) Maintenance is my largest concern, availability of it, cost, etc. outside of CPO...how is the engine/drive train reliability on these cars? I have already searched and read about the DRC failure, is the solution as simple as an aftermarket suspension?
3) What are good high-line dealer sources for these cars, in addition to autotrader, etc.?
4) Anyone make this move (reduce from 2 cars to RS6 as one), any regrets?
5) Is the performance as spectacular as one would expect? Can the weight of the car be tamed with the right suspension upgrades?

Thanks in advance for any/all advice. I still haven't completely made up my mind to do this. My fun car is a low mileage 1997 Carrera S w/ a lot of unique factory OEM options, so I am not quick to sell it without being pretty sure about the RS6. I wish that I could afford to have both, but I cannot.

DuckWingDuck
July 9th, 2008, 02:00
Go for the RS6! Hehe. Just a few quick thoughts...

1. There are plenty of parents with little kiddies around and I don't think any of them have problem fitting children seats in the back.

2. Well, it's not a cheap car to own, like any other $100K car. Dealer oil change is about $200, timing belts is a concern. But, if you own a 996, I suspect maintenance costs will be very similar. There are people who talk of potential transmission problems and some have had theirs replaced but I don't believe anyone has actually had one go bad on them. As for DRC, there are people who haven't had problems with it and there are those who have had theirs swapped like three or four times but to answer the question, yes, the "simple" solution is to swap out to an aftermarket shock system.

3. Er.. I think most everybody looked on autotrader. These days, pretty much everybody goes on autotrader. And really, that's where you're going to find the most bang for your buck.

4. I am actually contemplating buying a Lotus to complement my RS6, but of course, I don't have commute concerns nor small kiddies!

5a. Yes, it is a tremendous car and very much worth it. Amongst its competitors, there are simply no others. As I mentioned in another thread, the E55 might have more torque and more BHP but it simply doesn't drive the same.

5b. This relates to 5a in that if you step down to the "lower" segment of C63/M3/RS4, the cars in that category are simply too small. It might be fine right now with toting small children around but it's not practical IMO. As far as trying to lighten the car, I don't really think there is anything save stripping out the creature comforts as MTM did when they built their racer. For most applications though, the weight isn't really an issue.

jbtexas
July 9th, 2008, 02:15
Thanks "DuckWingDuck"... since you were so generous with your answer/time, I will forgive you suggesting that I own a 996 :D (just kidding)

I am one of the air cooled nuts... my car is a 993 widebody C2S... daily driver is a Toyota Avalon worth about 10% the value of my Porsche...my wife is quick to point out that something is twisted about that, particularly now with the toddlers

DuckWingDuck
July 9th, 2008, 03:02
'97 was the first year of the 996! Before I bought my RS6, I thought about buying a 993 C4S but ultimately decided that I just love sedans too much. There's nothing wrong with having that sort of combination. I've got a stick camry in addition to my rs6. And I suspect one of the biggest reasons why I've hung onto my camry is the fact that it's a manual transmission ;)

jbtexas
July 9th, 2008, 03:26
Not to be a know it all...but since we are talking about Porsches, accuracy is required :D

1995-1998 ....993
1999-2004 ....996

DuckWingDuck
July 9th, 2008, 03:41
lol, I stand corrected. Though 996 started in '97. In any event, are you considering swapping both the Toyota and Porsche in for a RS6?

jbtexas
July 9th, 2008, 04:24
Yes, I am considering selling the Toyota and the Porsche and getting one of the following

2003 RS6, 2007/8 S6, 2007/8 RS4 or 2008 C63 AMG

The thing I didnt like most about the RS4 the first time around was the manual transmission, which gets tiring in traffic since this would be an only car.

DuckWingDuck
July 9th, 2008, 04:54
To me, the only car to consider on that list are the RS6 and the S6. The new S6 is quite an amazing car and it compares extremely favourably with the RS6. Incidentally, I just remembered that there is someone on the boards with an extremely low mileage RS6. Which is DBLIPA's grey RS6!

Couple random shots:
http://pictures.twilightstar.net/v/greg/RS6/julian/IMG_0345.jpg.html
http://pictures.twilightstar.net/v/greg/RS6/julian/IMG_0346.jpg.html
http://pictures.twilightstar.net/v/greg/RS6/spectrum/IMG_0486.JPG.html

Tony Lam
July 9th, 2008, 05:19
RS6 and C63AMG are the very good cars here, but for the RS6..it's about 5 years old already however the C63AMG is a brand new model and it looks very nice too!! I had it for 2 years and sold it for 2007 RS4, all i can say is that the RS6 is a very very good car....that's it!!

s42ski
July 9th, 2008, 16:45
JB - my two cents - I have two kids that are now 11 and 13 and they both have no issues with room in the RS6. I have installed car seats when my sister in law came out with her toddlers. One thing to be aware - if you are nuts about keeping a clean car, think about interior and carpet color carefully, Kids spill stuff all the time in the car.

My son :rs6kiss: loves the RS6. Today I am driving a Hyundai Sonata while my car is at the shop for another round with the DRC repairs. I am on my 4th time with repairs, although the car went about 30K miles on the original set.

Brakes are expensive and last about 15-25K miles , tires go about 10k-20K miles on a set ( all depending on driving habits;) )

Timing belts are also a lot, but I have not driven another car that gives the satisfaction of the RS6. Think of this as a 4 door 911 turrbo.

One other note - where I live I used to get a lot of stop sign challenges as folks did not assume that an Audi sedan was fast, these days with S6,S8, RS6 etc. I get way fewer of these. Where you live may be different, and there is great satisfaction blowing the doors off a late model Corvette and watching the driver try and figure out what the heck the car is when he catches up at the next light:lovl:

jbtexas
July 9th, 2008, 17:17
thanks for all the comments... great feedback! RE: cost of maintenance/repairs, etc. it certainly doesnt sound any worse than an out of warranty air cooled Porsche... my rear tires get about 12k miles and wear 2-1 to the fronts...

DuckWingDuck
July 9th, 2008, 17:52
ya, here's the thing though, you're probably not using your 993 as an everyday, with you splitting the miles between your 993 and Avalon, the costs aren't as high as if when you switch over to an RS6 full time.

Steve, hey, be glad that your DRC is covered! My extensive tyre damage episode was apparently DRC and AoA won't cover it. The bastards. Have you registered for the Aug. 10 San Diego event?

s42ski
July 9th, 2008, 19:03
Greg, they told me that they were replacing the rears only :nana: since they were both leaking under the "time from last repair" aspect. Seems that you get 6 ( or is it 12?) months on that. I mentioned that the car was CPO'd as well.

For the August 10th event where do I sign up?

DuckWingDuck
July 9th, 2008, 19:12
I haven't spoken to my service advisor in a few days but I believe he's trying to convince my insurance company to replace both my fronts. I think I mentioned this on another thread but according to him, there are no documentation from Audi that the DRC are to be replaced cross-linked.

here's the sign up page: http://big.socaleuro.com/

BLITZEN
July 9th, 2008, 19:50
Jb, The RS6 is one of, if not the, best sedan you could ever own. However, as a sports car, it's not to compare with the 993 other than in a straight line. If you're prepared for that, I'm sure you'll love it.

Copper
July 9th, 2008, 22:26
1. I have (2) daughters - a 3 year old and a 6 month old. While I do have the "Mommy Mobile" SUV for them I have put them both in the back of the RS6 with a booster seat and baby seat without any issues. You will need to move the passenger's seat up a little bit to keep them from kicking the back but it will happen anyway. I am looking for a booster seat now that I can easily take in and out for my 3 year old when we go to the store or the park. I have to take it out for business trips.

2. DRC of course. I pay $150 for an oil change at the local dealer. The 35K service is in the $1500 area your dealer may vary. Other than that both of mine have been very reliable. I put 30K+ miles a year on my cars traveling all around th Southeast. RS6#1 = 67K miles and no mechnical issues or DRC problems, not a single failure. RS6#2 = 41K miles and also no DRC or mechnial issues. Only recent maint expense was (4) new tires (PS2's). I bought Revo flash program and programmer. No transmission issues after 8K miles. I take this one in for regular service (oil change, fluids) tomorrow morning first thing. Again, your results may vary but I'm an old P-Car guy (1995 993 C2 and 1996 993TT) so this has been nothing new for me a far as maint prices. I drive my cars pretty tamely considering all the potential and don't "beat" on it daily. I let the turbos loose every once in ahwile for a nice little rush (see your crack house comment) but nothing too crazy.

3. Ebay, Classifieds on Audi World's forum, Autotrader, word of mouth and some postings here. It's hard to fins one with less than 40K miles anymore. It took me a long time to find the second one with only 22K miles, one owner and in mint condition. Some dealers can be a bit arrogent about the car and not in touch with current market conditions. They will sit on a car for a long time until they get what they want. Expect to pay $45K+ for a low mileage example and mid $30's for a 60K+ RS6. A little more with CPO or extended warranty.

4. Yes, I was driving a Honda Pilot EX for business and had my 993TT as a hobby car. I too was looking to merge the two. So far I'm very happy after 2 years of RS6 ownership. It is really a perfect car. Both rear seats fold down and I can put my road bike in the back with the front wheel off. I've had lumber back there, a bunch of tri gear, many suitcases, demo equipment, etc. I always have a passeneger in the front and usually rear and get compliments about how comfortable and roomy the car is. The ride is a little stiff on bad roads but it is a very confortable long distance cruiser. I used to drive a E39 BME 535i and the suspension was great but the seat were rock-hard. Now the seats are comfy but the suspension is a little stiff. A well I'd take the latter any day. No regrets here and my insurance, maint and fuel expenses went down by selling off both cars. I was only driving the hobby car on the weekends anyway and had to make up places to go or just cruise around. Now even a business trip is something I look forward to or even a quick trip to the local store. I find myself smiling in a big way every time I start up the car and hear that sweet SE Exhaust echo in the garage.

5. Compared to your 993 C2, you will really see an upgrade going to the RS6 which is very much like the 996TT (but not so much like the 997TT). You have to really wring the heck out of the 993 to get the power sweet spot and get those rev/shifts just right to feel the rush. They look cool and handle well but the RS6 provides instant power. It's almost too easy to drive fast and the handling is really pretty damn good even in stock form. In stock form, the boost is really mild at .8 bar so it takes a few milliseconds for the turbo to engage and then you are off to the races. The benifit is better MPG since it will drive/feel like a standard A6 4.2 V8 if you drive normally. You have to let the beast know you want to play by dropping the "S" mode or manually shifting since the car will adjust to your driving style. I can't tell you how many times I've been on a business trip (20-23MPG HWY by the way with my average city+hwy at 19.9MPG per my computer) driving at a cruising pace then dropping the client off and right then a get a little challenge from the (pick your car- WRX, Civic, GTI, Corvette, Mustang - you'll see!) and I get a long delay before the car goes "Oh, you want to PLAY now?" and it's a little bit slow to take off.

If you chip the car it's a whole new ball game though. We are talking supercar transformation. I have flashed back to stock a few times and it feels like I'm driving a Honda Accord in comparison. The turbos are instant on and the boost will make you feel a little God-like. Let's just say that since that little upgrade nothing has been able to touch me on the common roads around Atlanta and many have tried. It's stealthy as well. You will miss the P-Car in that area however. Very few people know what the car is unless they are driving a (see the list above) or happen to be car nuts like the rest of us.

Good luck and have fun.

bugzy
July 10th, 2008, 00:11
I haven't spoken to my service advisor in a few days but I believe he's trying to convince my insurance company to replace both my fronts. I think I mentioned this on another thread but according to him, there are no documentation from Audi that the DRC are to be replaced cross-linked.

here's the sign up page: http://big.socaleuro.com/
http://big.socaleuro.com yup yup

please RSVP, after all its a free event

DHall1
July 10th, 2008, 06:32
JB,

My search is somewhat similar to your situation. I was dead set on a 996TT and then began to take a few test drives. Well, I was not that impressed with the TT and one dealer had a RS6 on the lot. The test drive did it...and the search began. Ultra high performance sedan was the plan and as I looked at other options another choice became apparent. 2003 E55 AMG sedan became an option and then I drove one. Sold but hang on just a second. The AMG became our car in Arizona where Quattro was not needed. Now fast forward to today. We still need an all around car for the mountains in Colorado. The AMG is fantastic but it stays in Arizona. Now the problem is finding a RS6 that is not beat up or a dealer that is not an arrogant prick.

I have a few long term concerns with the RS6...most of them parts availablilty related. How long will the parts for this car remain avail??

Given the performance of the RS6, I will take the long term chance and buy a nice low mileage example. The problem is finding one.

I am a long-time car enthusiast with the reality (and blessing) of an increasing family size. I have two young toddler boys now, and I am toying with the idea of selling my sports car and daily beater to purchase a fun/fast/unique sedan.

I first have to point out that I tried this once before, but I think that my problem was not getting an automatic. A few years back, I purchased a brand new RS4. And while it was a fun car, I felt that it neither worked as a sports car (too heavy, too soft) OR as a fun fast autobahn 4-door (too small, manual transmission). I dont care for BMWs, and as much as I am tempted the C63 AMG, I think that I would enjoy the rarity, Quattro, etc. on the RS6 better.

If I did this, I would only be interested in a very low mileage, CPO'd car, and willing to pay top price if the condition was right, etc.

1) Any other parents out there with car seats in the backs of their RS6s?
2) Maintenance is my largest concern, availability of it, cost, etc. outside of CPO...how is the engine/drive train reliability on these cars? I have already searched and read about the DRC failure, is the solution as simple as an aftermarket suspension?
3) What are good high-line dealer sources for these cars, in addition to autotrader, etc.?
4) Anyone make this move (reduce from 2 cars to RS6 as one), any regrets?
5) Is the performance as spectacular as one would expect? Can the weight of the car be tamed with the right suspension upgrades?

Thanks in advance for any/all advice. I still haven't completely made up my mind to do this. My fun car is a low mileage 1997 Carrera S w/ a lot of unique factory OEM options, so I am not quick to sell it without being pretty sure about the RS6. I wish that I could afford to have both, but I cannot.[/quote]

DHall1
July 10th, 2008, 06:48
Here is a pic of our 03 E55. For a dry, warm weather climate....this is a very hot car.

JB-if your in Texas....this could be an option.

Best of luck,
Dave

DuckWingDuck
July 10th, 2008, 06:54
It's like friggin' deja vu up in here, it seems like we're addressing the same issues here. Not sure how much more Steve, Copper, myself, or any others can offer as I think we've pretty much addressed all the concerns?

But, here are a few more thoughts,

1. you can use quattro anywhere, ya, it truly shines in rainy/wet conditions but hell, even on dry tarmac it's useful.

2. on the issue of parts availability. My service advisor and everybody I know at Audi assures me that this won't be a problem, worst case scenario they have to dispatch to Europe for parts and it takes a bit longer for you to get them. But it'll be a long time before they stop producing parts.

3. the rs6 is soo much better than the e55.

DHall1
July 10th, 2008, 07:06
Trust me, when I find the RS6 that is in the same condition as our E55...it will be a done deal. That day has not come yet. Still looking

if you like your e55, you'll love the rs6. As I said, IMO, can't compare.

DuckWingDuck
July 10th, 2008, 07:40
I reached out to DBLIPA earlier, hopefully he'll respond. Many of us on here can vouch for the excellent condition of his RS6!

vangelis
July 10th, 2008, 08:07
Hii,, I highly recommend to buy RS6 not the E55, I just bought mine yesterday ,,, GOODDDD ,, i never ever drove a car with that performance before ,, its a real beast ,,a true monster,, 2004 RS6 with CF, reccaro seats, with very low milage 16000KM onlyyy. Car in extremely excellent (exactly like new) condition. Will post the photos soon.

DuckWingDuck
July 10th, 2008, 16:26
congrats on the purchase vangelis.

BLITZEN
July 10th, 2008, 21:56
Carseats are a dream in the RS6, forward facing preferably. My neighbor has an e55 and I can tell you, looking at them both daily, the RS6 is a sharper looking car. And, other than in a drag race, the e55 can't quite hang on to it.

Copper
July 10th, 2008, 23:24
So OK I went and opened my big mouth about how great and reliable the RS6 is only to find out that I am now part of the failed DRC club. Not ins a bad way, small leak on the rear passenger's side shock. It was enough tomake me demand replacement of the whole rear system to be proactive. Ah well, at least it's under warranty. Upper control arms were toast as well. Everything else is rock solid, no issues.

DBLIPA
July 11th, 2008, 01:00
Thanks to DWD for alerting me to this thread. I check the forum about every 2-3 weeks.

JB,

I have decided to sell my 2003 RS6 (October 2003 build), because I just don't seem to be driving it much these days. I have 3 cars and the Audi has only been going out for special occasions, e.g., meeting a gaggle of other RS6's and enthusiasts in the area. I had a custom 996 C4S that I sold (too low to the ground for comfortable entry/exit), and subsequently bought the RS6. I do have mixed feelings about parting with the "Beast", but I drive it so little that it really needs a new home where it will be driven and appreciated on a regular basis.

The car is in Avus silver, has only 24.5k miles, and comes with the extended Audi warranty (till December 2009). I replaced the original tyres with Michelin PS2's at 20k miles, and I recently went with the Hotchkis sway bars and Hotchkis 4-wheel alignment. Fortunately, I am not a member of the infamous DRC club. The car has only lived in Southern California.

DWD showed a pic of the custom pedals that were made for me by Ultimate Pedals. The car has all the options that were available when the car was built. BTW, the leather still has that "new" aroma. Those who have seen the car can attest to its desirability.

If you are interested in discussing my RS6, please forward me your e-mail addy so that we can exchange phone numbers.

Many thanks,

DuckWingDuck
July 11th, 2008, 02:12
ya, I can definitely attest to the amazing condition that DBLIPA's car is in. If you're looking for a primo RS6 and not worried too much about the cost, very much recommended.

Tony Lam
July 11th, 2008, 03:57
I just got my C63AMG yesterday and I think it looks better than my old RS6, however I still think that the RS6 is a better car to drive but of course my C63AMG is not a bad car to drive at all too.

jbtexas
July 11th, 2008, 04:22
Tony, how do you compare the acceleration and handling? Here would be my guess, but can you confirm?

- C63AMG faster, lots of torque, very linear and responsive, great sounds, absolutely terrible gas mileage

- RS6 equally fast, feels heavier, also lots of torque, but not so linear/responsive since turbos, more quiet, feels a *little* out dated, muted, etc.

Is this right/wrong/what do you thinK?

Tony Lam
July 11th, 2008, 15:25
This is my second day driving the C63. The front seats look really nice, but when I sat in it on the first day, the bucket seat was too tight and I am not too use to it. Today I am starting to feel more easy in it. As for the car, it's smooth, very fast, and the handling is good. THe size of the car also feels just right. Looks very awesome. Gas mileage is really terrible.

As for RS6, i drove it for two years. No doubt it's an excellent car. Very fast too and very responsive. As for sounds, the C63 is definitely better. But for me, the RS6 looks outdated and the main problem is that the body (C5) has been around for 10 yrs, the present C6 body is also around for 4 yrs, and the new RS6 is about to come out. Therefore you can really see the difference between the old and new models. Whereas the C63 is brand new, looks and everything.

Therefore if the prices for the 03 RS6 and the C63 are close to each other I would definitely recommend the C63. Otherwise RS6 is not a bad choice at all.

Of course, this is strictly my personal views.

DuckWingDuck
July 11th, 2008, 19:15
Ugh, being that we don't get the recaros here in the US, the AMG seats are very nice.

DBLIPA
July 12th, 2008, 05:11
...But for me, the RS6 looks outdated and the main problem is that the body (C5) has been around for 10 yrs, the present C6 body is also around for 4 yrs, and the new RS6 is about to come out. Therefore you can really see the difference between the old and new models.

Tony,

While the current RS6 body style has been around for a while, it is classic, indeed. IMO, the spy photos of the new RS6 saloon (sedan) don't suggest a big change. Also, we really don't know if Audi NA will bring the new saloon to the U.S. If they do import the car, there will be a very healthy price tag, what with the value of the U.S. dollar, etc.

I must disagree with your comments about performance of the RS6. On those very infrequent occasions when I have "put the pedal to the metal", I perceived no turbo lag or weakness, just beastly brutal and very quick acceleration with the car staying right on track. IMO, driving the RS6 is not only an exhilarating, but also a soul soothing experience. :rs6kiss:

As an addendum, and bump to a previous post, my RS6 is, regrettably, for sale.....

DHall1
July 15th, 2008, 06:14
Bob,

I have also been in the market for a very nice example of a RS6. Can you send me a PM with your email and phone contact info?

Thanks,
Dave

Tony,

While the current RS6 body style has been around for a while, it is classic, indeed. IMO, the spy photos of the new RS6 saloon (sedan) don't suggest a big change. Also, we really don't know if Audi NA will bring the new saloon to the U.S. If they do import the car, there will be a very healthy price tag, what with the value of the U.S. dollar, etc.

I must disagree with your comments about performance of the RS6. On those very infrequent occasions when I have "put the pedal to the metal", I perceived no turbo lag or weakness, just beastly brutal and very quick acceleration with the car staying right on track. IMO, driving the RS6 is not only an exhilarating, but also a soul soothing experience. :rs6kiss:

As an addendum, and bump to a previous post, my RS6 is, regrettably, for sale.....

DuckWingDuck
July 15th, 2008, 06:38
Dave, check your PM, i've sent you DBLIPA's email as he doesn't come on very often.

What'sNext
July 25th, 2008, 15:28
I figured this would be a good time to throw jump in on this as I have an RS6 that I am half-heartedly trying to sell.

It is a 32k mile car, CPO'd until Oct. 2009. The 35k mile service has been completed, and the DRC has been replaced with KW Variant 3's. It is Charcoal Gray with mother of pearl effect, sound enhancing exhaust, carbon fiber interior and black leather. Just moved to Minneapolis from North Carolina and bought the car for the wife's commute but as it turned out where we ended up moving allows my wife to walk to work. Let me know if you would like more info. I am asking $45k.

Joe

PatriotRSX
July 27th, 2008, 15:42
I'm in the market to buy an RS6. Been wanting one for almost two years now and the time is finally right. I'll check PMs for any info/offers anyone would like to throw out there.

Thanks,

Will

rs6power
August 28th, 2008, 23:56
hello my names abid i have brought the rs6 450 bhp, i need to have advise on what air filters and diverter valves and exhausts and where to get them from i want around 550 bhp i can remap the car myself, thanks in advance

PatriotRSX
August 29th, 2008, 17:17
<sigh> I take it back. Spent $60k more on the new house than I had previously planned. Have to wait about six more months or so. Sorry to cry wolf, and good luck to the sellers.