PDA

View Full Version : Hood Vents - whatever the $$

Fonzie Audi
July 7th, 2008, 17:29
I've been waiting to see or hear something about hood vents for the C5 for too long.. and like many of you - the MTM hood vents are just NOT what i'm looking for.

In South Florida - the temps get ridiculous. Opening the hood after even a 15 mile drive is like opening the oven when it's on broil.

I need to get this hood vent problem solved. $$ is not an issue. Can anyone out there do it, or point me in the right direction? I know this has been an issue for quite a while, but i don't want to wait any longer.

:confused:

Mr Balsen
July 7th, 2008, 18:42
Remove the hood ! ! ! !

Frederic

Boosted-Bora
July 7th, 2008, 19:10
I've been waiting to see or hear something about hood vents for the C5 for too long.. and like many of you - the MTM hood vents are just NOT what i'm looking for.

In South Florida - the temps get ridiculous. Opening the hood after even a 15 mile drive is like opening the oven when it's on broil.

I need to get this hood vent problem solved. $$ is not an issue. Can anyone out there do it, or point me in the right direction? I know this has been an issue for quite a while, but i don't want to wait any longer.

:confused:

i feel your pain bro this heat soak is starting to get a little ridiculous.

Fonzie Audi
July 7th, 2008, 19:21
Drew,
you heard of anything? anyone who can fabricate it? i know it gets hot up there in MD too..

I just called Champion Motorsports down here - they are gonna look into it, but not a promising response. The Chamption RS6 has them, so I know it possible!

Boosted-Bora
July 7th, 2008, 19:36
Naw bro I havent heard a thing except the MTM ones but I dont like how they sit up tell me what Champion comes up with

Fonzie Audi
July 7th, 2008, 19:46
Champion was a dead end. The guy called me back - a guy on their race team personally fabricated the carbon fiber hood for the Champion RS6 a couple years ago. Eric said he's not with the company anymore, and basically said it's a lost cause.

sucks.

DuckWingDuck
July 7th, 2008, 20:03
Headshot on here's got his hood vented, but he's got a hectic work schedule and I haven't seen him around lately. I'll drop him a line to see if he's got time to drop by to let us know the latest.

Fonzie Audi
July 7th, 2008, 20:07
Awesome, thank you. I tried to PM him a couple weeks ago about it, but no response.

HeadShot
July 8th, 2008, 03:41
srry guys... with oil prices attached to a flipp'in rocket i have been slammed at work - back offshore tomorrow to get some more. Anyways here's how the hood came out - the back vent went smooth and looks killer - many have said" so that is the factory vent right?" job well done on my part. The front vents... hummm so the clearance was an issue with the first set of trays i made so i had to fab new ones.. and was persuaded that glueing these in place was not the answer - thay may shift and seperate the paint.. so i had them weilded by a mate (oh God) that was a mistake... the hood warped especially at the top back meeting points in teh seam. (aluminum can be a bitch - by the way it must weigh the same as CF - so light!!!) Anyway... it;s at paint along with my bumper wings (the full bumper mod to be done in another month. ) paint should be able to save the hood (not as bad as it sounds but i seek perfection) The drainage is in it and i need to plumb that after return but it should make the San Deigo event with 2 weeks to spare fingers crossed. ( as i told Duck - i didn't want to mention all this and dissapoint but there you have it)

On a side note - any one in So.cal who wants a set of interior door pannels (Euro style without the memory seat switch) i am giving them away for free - single car garage and a gun to my head.

Best regards to all and srry for being a slack bastard - i'm a Kiwi... we rush into nothing

Note on the hood job. Audi cost $600. paint from my guy $500 (i am tipping $300 to lock this down as factory instead of a $500. job and i will have more wrk for him so i like to get an understanding of what is expected) + my time ... i'd say $1800 ish total. (no less for sure... the hand fab with a file is insane!) Food for thought.. results hopefully at the Sol Cal event.

Best Regards
HS

HeadShot
July 8th, 2008, 03:45
I should mention - the most effect on cooling is the back vent for sure... air flow over the engine drawing hot air offthe turbos and out is got to be a huge + The front vents are more for show.. still worth a few points but thats the honest truth. Remember our cars are not set up like Champions and the air inductuion is completely different. ( but G.Damn it looks look:applause: )

Mr Balsen
July 8th, 2008, 06:19
headshot,

Thanks for the update.

Did you notice decrease in water temperature ? oil temperature ? more power ?

Frederic

Mr Balsen
July 8th, 2008, 06:21
How did you find out the back vent are more efficient than the front vent ?

Frederic

Fonzie Audi
July 8th, 2008, 14:03
thanks for the update. i unleashed an army of phone calls yesterday all around the US and came up empty.

people either don't want to take on the project or are afraid to work on the RS6.

i won't rest until my engine can breathe

HeadShot
July 8th, 2008, 15:36
Srry for the confusion there... hood still at paint. I think the front vents would reduce airpressure and increase air flow through the rad while letting some heat out but the engine heat is all behind this area with the turbos at the rear and thats leaves the heat still trapped - thats where the back vent comes in. I am only guessing at this point and will do some testing when i get it all back and bolted on. Will block off one then the other and take some heat readings etc. I should have results early Aug. Fingers crossed.
HS.

RS6-Croatia
July 12th, 2008, 15:37
Where exactly you are planing to make rear vents?

TNX

grizz
July 12th, 2008, 20:05
If you look on the early threads you'll find one on hood vents.

I've sent my spare hood to use as a patten for a carbon one , this will have vents in the centre like the ones used by mtm.

this is the style were looking at . http://www.mtm-france.com/galerie_photos/audi/rs4_v8/index.php

They will be in pre production in 4 weeks. We dont have a cost yet but not cheap due to the limited numbers.

RS6-Croatia
July 12th, 2008, 21:57
OK, tnx, i used a search button... :-) so i have found the thread...

i have done some mods also regarding the cooling... i have added 2 fans up front radiator to blow some in... :-) 2x 28cm with 1600 liters of air flow each.. i have connected them via 2 relay`s so they power on when engin is running... rersult are amazing... my oil temperature is almoust all the time about 90 Celsius and i realy need to kick my engine`s ass to get it to 120 Celsius... Before i was running about 100-110 all the time..
Also when i get it to 120 by running thru the city, :-) it cools down quite fast back to 70... so i will recomend this modification to any RS6 owner, specialy ones in "hot" areas...

RS6-4dr911
July 14th, 2008, 03:23
well we need to pic's of the fans of course. You mentioned relays - do they run all the time are did you install a thermostat? 1600 liters - I assume that's per minute? or roughly 50cfm which doesn't seem like much. Details/confirmation please . :vhmmm:

Mr Balsen
July 14th, 2008, 13:17
Srry for the confusion there... hood still at paint. I think the front vents would reduce airpressure and increase air flow through the rad while letting some heat out but the engine heat is all behind this area with the turbos at the rear and thats leaves the heat still trapped - thats where the back vent comes in. I am only guessing at this point and will do some testing when i get it all back and bolted on. Will block off one then the other and take some heat readings etc. I should have results early Aug. Fingers crossed.
HS.

I have to admit that I disagreee with you ! ! !

The front vents are drastically improving the efficiency of the radiators. Look at the curretn WRC rallye cars. Regarding the heat of the turbos, I believe it is extracted under the car.

I am waiting your heat readings with great interest. (every closed, front only, rear only, everything open)

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

Frederic

Mr Balsen
July 14th, 2008, 13:19
OK, tnx, i used a search button... :-) so i have found the thread...

i have done some mods also regarding the cooling... i have added 2 fans up front radiator to blow some in... :-) 2x 28cm with 1600 liters of air flow each.. i have connected them via 2 relay`s so they power on when engin is running... rersult are amazing... my oil temperature is almoust all the time about 90 Celsius and i realy need to kick my engine`s ass to get it to 120 Celsius... Before i was running about 100-110 all the time..
Also when i get it to 120 by running thru the city, :-) it cools down quite fast back to 70... so i will recomend this modification to any RS6 owner, specialy ones in "hot" areas...

very very interesting !!!
Of course, we want to see the pictures...

Frederic

ben916
July 14th, 2008, 18:33
very very interesting !!!
Of course, we want to see the pictures...

Frederic

No PRESSURE....

No PRESSURE at all, headshot....

HeadShot
July 16th, 2008, 05:14
Hej gang... srry if this is loose.. i have been up 34hrs getting in from a job. The reason i saythe front vents are not so effective is there position in relation to the air intake piping in our cars (ref pics) It drastically breaks up airflow - unlike the champion units that do not have this. Sure they relieve pressure so flow is increased but the major airway is the wide open path across the top of the engine (heat rises) drawing heat from the turbos (heat wants to go up not down so the top vent seems way more effective than the bottom outlet) and straight out the back ... path of least resistance = greatest flow.

Only testing will tell but ref, the pics on te other hood vent post and there will be more after the meet on the 10th. It just makes sense... i don't cuit holes in an RS6 hood without some thought - and fear Hee, hee. I think all will be surprised with the temp results after i get the hoood back from paint.
Any suggestions on teh points i should place the temp sensor to get readings???

Time to sleep... up to Mamouth on the Fri 1st Aug?? nice drive.

HS.

Mr Balsen
July 16th, 2008, 06:10
Why not removing the inside seal to let the hot air goes outside ?

Frederic

Spidercat
July 16th, 2008, 19:43
Headshot,
Thought of your project when I moved my speaker cabinet the other day. The grill on the front is exactly like the RS6 flattened honeycomb look. If you're still looking for grill options for your vents, I suggest checking out some speaker cabinets/guitar amps at some music stores (I know, in all your spare time). You could probably get the grill separately. Anyway, just a thought.
By the way, are you still planning on making more front splitters? If so, my hand's up!

HeadShot
July 17th, 2008, 02:54
Thxs for the tip on the mesh / grill material.. i'll look into that for later projects.. mine is in already and looks good i think. But a few options would have been key... and i do need some for my bumper mod.

As for the seal, to seperate the engine from the elements... that stops the water getting into my engine compartment. I made the cut in the hood frame so air flow could travel out but water won't get in. Open up your hood, remove the snaps and the internal hood cover and take a look... i think it will be clearer. Srry my pics must be terrible... i'll take many more when i get the hood back.

HS

RS6-Croatia
July 21st, 2008, 12:08
regarding fans...

i have used simple 2 relays ... one to power up the fans, and other to switch the first one when light from generator is OFF !..

So, when i turn ignition on, nothing happens... just 2 fast klicks from relays, one on, other off.. when i start the car and generator lamp is off then another 2 klicks from relays and fans are on!
So, basicly when engine is running they are on, when ignition ONLY is on, they are off...

I will post pictures when rain stops.. :-)

i was doing some testings.... now with fans on looks like only 4 holes in audi shape on hood would be good enugh to eliminate heat soak wich is realy terible on this car.. (i head 300c SRT8 6.1 HEMI wich also suffered from this anomaly and same trick was realy usefool, fans mod..)
Under this holes i will put simple metal grid.. Anyhow i will have 2 hoods, sumer and winter ! :-) :-) :-) winter stock hood, sumer drilled.. i am not to woried about the wather since under the holes will be directly carbon part where are vents and sign Biturbo...

Right now without any holes results are realy good... Oil temp is around 90 celsius all the time in city driving.. when i get out, it goes down to 70.. when i kick it`s ass in city it comes to 100-110 but NEVER 120 like it was before... Also i head Wather temperature few times go up from 90 celsius (middle position) when i was running 280 km/h up the hill on higway with outside temperature of 44 Celsius.. (chasing CLS63 AMG) :-) with this mode, i have tested same part of higway, but outside was 38 celsius, and my wather tepm stayed where it should be... middle 90 Celsius..
Car is chiped with RSR Motorsport MAP, have K&N and second pair de-cat..

EDIT: Is it possible to get lower temperature wather thermostat in US ??

Mr Balsen
July 21st, 2008, 12:24
I will post pictures when rain stops.. :-)

I hope it will be very very soon...

Frederic

grizz
July 21st, 2008, 12:36
The thermostat in the rs6 opens at 82 degrease

RS6-Croatia
July 21st, 2008, 17:39
i know it opens at 82... but i was asking is there any aftermarket that we can buy that opens at 70 ?

I did took pictures of fan modification, now looking for cable to transfer them to computer.. :-)

RS6-Croatia
July 22nd, 2008, 07:54
Finaly here are some pictures of FAN modification.... :-)

First, front picture...

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/fan2.jpg

Front bumper needs to be removed and aluminium bumper part removed from PVC then cuted to fit both motors from fans. I simple cut it to folow PVC shape so it is not so noticable... here is closeup..

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/cut1.jpg

and second fan...

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/cut2.jpg

Cooling pipe for servo oil needs to be relesed from airco condenser (2 screws) pooled out, and in that place is fited right fan.. Here is closeup..

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/fan1.jpg

Power for fans is routed thru firewall same route where stock instalation is.. ECU box...

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/power1.jpg

Ground is connected to comon point on the right side...

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/power2.jpg

And here is the result... :-)

oil temp after about one hour astop and go traffic in city... (with few pools up to 160) :-)

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/oil1.jpg

I have also removed my fog lights to alow more air to intercoolers...

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/inter1.jpg

Right side...

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/inter2.jpg

This removing fog lights have give me 12 Celsius lower air temperature when driving abpve 150 km/h.. I used ros-tech OBD interface to measure it...

Here is LIDAR protection... :-) Interceptors...

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/interceptors.jpg

And here is RADAR protection... Valentine V1..

http://85.125.80.137/ivan/rs6/v1.jpg

In Europe there is one realy nasty Photo RADAR Multanova 6F, operating on 34,3 GHz and it is so low powered that it is almoust impossible to detect it... With some modifications to V1 and polarised Vertical you may get it on about 500m... Here is video... :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tClAfEl5vtg

ben916
July 22nd, 2008, 19:46
I hope it will be very very soon...

Frederic

Patience, Grasshopper....:asian:

vangelis
July 22nd, 2008, 19:58
Fantastic,,, this is my biggest problem here,, I'm in gulf and you know the temp here always veryy hot (sometimes over 50c) and I'm always getting oil temp about 120c after few minutes of pushing the speed over 250km/h. Can you please tell me how can I modify that fans and do i need to remove the fog lights to get this done??? Thanks a lot

RS6-Croatia
July 22nd, 2008, 22:07
it is all desribed, you need to ADD 2 fans, and if you want cooler intake temperature remove foglights...

ben916
July 24th, 2008, 20:28
World challenge RS6's use this type of hood vents....

http://i20.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/00/4e/99db_3.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WORLD-CHALLENGE-CHAMPION-AUDI-RS6-2003-2004_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ98064QQihZ010QQite mZ200241430845QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohos ting)

HeadShot
July 25th, 2008, 04:57
Yeah but the intake routing is completely different - a point to note when refering to this style hood vent!!! AS a side note mine will be done by the end of next week - paint messed up some lines and needed to redo. Aggh.
Best regards
HS