The Pretender
July 1st, 2008, 19:50
White Cayman turbo.

http://motor-kritik.de/images/0805050309.jpg

Jarod.

Leadfoot
July 1st, 2008, 20:01
Jarod,

This couldn't be the Cayman Turbo that I said Porsche were building because of the TT/RS.

Kerso told us it wasn't coming so it can't possibly be it.:hihi:

Ruergard
July 1st, 2008, 20:46
I'm sorry to say this, but it really looks like a rival to our beloved TT. Can't wait for these cars to be let loose! :revs:

M3 owner
July 1st, 2008, 22:33
This isn’t new,a Turbo Cayman was spotted years ago.This car set Cayman forums into hysteria,guys where salivating only to be bitterly disappointed when it never saw the light of day.It resurfaced again several months ago & the rumour mill has been in overdrive ever since. The updated 997 is fast but a Turbo Cayman would be an absolute weapon,especially around a track.
I discovered this forum when I was thinking about buying a Cayman S.
http://www.caymanclub.net/cayman-chat/
This forum contains info on factory built turbo Caymans & even twin turbo Caymans built by various tuners.

Rage
July 1st, 2008, 23:12
How do you know that is a cayman turbo? Just looks like a normal Cayman with optional aerokit. No extra cooling slats as per Turbo/GT2....

JavierNuvolari
July 2nd, 2008, 00:12
How do you know that is a cayman turbo? Just looks like a normal Cayman with optional aerokit. No extra cooling slats as per Turbo/GT2....

Perhaps because the engine sits in the middle? or you meant for the brakes?

RXBG
July 2nd, 2008, 00:19
porsche should build this car and then rename it the 998. this car will wipe the floor with the base carrera and even the S. and come close to the V8 R8. it could easily make 400 hp.

Rage
July 2nd, 2008, 00:22
Perhaps because the engine sits in the middle? or you meant for the brakes?

I meant for the engine...but i guess it would be different since it is midmounted.....though i would have thought that would make cooling even more difficult.

Very exciting....eyes wide open:wo:

M3 owner
July 2nd, 2008, 01:12

Initially it was thought that it was a limited edition RS version. However,there was a video of the car going through testing & the noise of the engine led ppl to believe that it was indeed a turbocharged engine.

1 part of me thinks that this will never happen because in theory,a turbo Cayman with DKP will cannibalize the 911. A Cayman with a bigger naturally aspirated engine will cannibalize the 911! However,another part of me remembers that in the past Porsche has had turbocharged engines in cars that sat bellow the Carrera. Who knows ?

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 05:37
I see no problem in cannibalizing.
It make no difference witch car bring in the money IMHO.
If Porsche sell less base 911's but more Cayman turbo's who care's
The same go's for Audi with a TT RS and the base R8.
Selling the R8 V10 and less V8's but more TT RS models who care's

Jarod.

youry
July 2nd, 2008, 10:58
I see no problem in cannibalizing.
It make no difference witch car bring in the money IMHO.
If Porsche sell less base 911's but more Cayman turbo's who care's
The same go's for Audi with a TT RS and the base R8.
Selling the R8 V10 and less V8's but more TT RS models who care's

Jarod.

that depends or the volumes and margins of these products.

Leadfoot
July 2nd, 2008, 12:00
Initially it was thought that it was a limited edition RS version. However,there was a video of the car going through testing & the noise of the engine led ppl to believe that it was indeed a turbocharged engine.

1 part of me thinks that this will never happen because in theory,a turbo Cayman with DKP will cannibalize the 911. A Cayman with a bigger naturally aspirated engine will cannibalize the 911! However,another part of me remembers that in the past Porsche has had turbocharged engines in cars that sat bellow the Carrera. Who knows ?

Depends on who you speak to, the local Porsche dealer doesn't see the Cayman Turbo being too much of a threat to the 997, the 911 has had internal rivals throughout it life and yet it's been to one constant in the range. The customer for the 911 is not the same as other models, sure you will have a few that float from one to the other but in general most stay with what they like.

A Cayman Turbo will probably match the performance figures of a normal 997C2 but not the C2S. It will handle better but that is true of the normal Cayman S and still no mass exodus from the 997, they are simply different cars with different customers.

When Porsche release the Cayman Turbo it's not the 997 it will be a rival to but the TT/RS, Z4M Mk2 and the SLK55.

SigmaS6
July 2nd, 2008, 20:28
they are simply different cars with different customers.
I'd say it's the same as with Audi and the S/RS models. A lower RS model beats a higher S model. But nobody cares, as we're talking about the enthusiasts line up here, where people don't buy the minimum they need but the maximum they can afford. So the more models you have to choose from the closer to that maximum you'll push your customers ;)