PDA

View Full Version : Audi Announces New Valvelift System.

The Pretender
June 26th, 2008, 12:08
Audi Announces New Valvelift System. "Variable lift"

http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2008/6/26/9080626.005/9080626.005.Mini1L.jpg

http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2008/6/26/9080626.005/9080626.005.Mini2L.jpg

After six years of development Audi has revealed the Audi Valvelift System (AVS). Now available on the direct-injection 2.8 and 3.2-liter V6-FSI engines, the system takes variable valve timing to the next level resulting in smooth power build-up, spontaneous throttle response and most importantly, reduced fuel consumption by up to seven percent.

Based on the existing variable valve time which permits the valve opening and closing times to be varied, the Audi valvelift system now achieves the next step – variable control of the valve lift, thus influencing the cross-section of the intake duct.

For example, under partial engine load, variable valve lift can be 2.0 mm or 5.7 mm. However, under heavy load conditions the inlet valves can lift completely open to 11.0 mm – ideal for high charge volumes and flow speeds in the combustion chamber. The ability to asymmetrically control valve lift causes the charge air to flow into the combustion chamber spirally and cylindrically, also known as “drumble”. Ultimately, the aim is to open and close the valves in such a way that the correct charge of air is always drawn into the cylinders.

With an operational range of 700 to 4000rpm the greatest potential for fuel savings is achieved at constant speeds in the mid-range, however, the AVS is capable of handling up to 7000rpm. Future development of AVS will include the complete shutdown of individual cylinders.

Jarod.

Erik
June 26th, 2008, 12:33
Future development of AVS will include the complete shutdown of individual cylinders.

A better option than the start-stop technology I presume.

Arslanoff
June 26th, 2008, 15:13
Is it allready there? I am waiting for my car, which is A4 3,2 FSI, do you think it will be there?

chewym
June 27th, 2008, 06:37
A better option than the start-stop technology I presume.

I don't think the two are the same thing. Start/stop shuts off the engine when you are idling in a regular car. I think what AVS will do is cylinder deactivation, running a V6 as a V3/4 under light load. Running a V8 as a V4 under light loads. Audi won't be the first to do so, but not too many do so.

AVS really works well with fuel economy. The new 2.0T w/Valvelift does better than the 1.8TFSI without Valvelift. Not to mention the extra torque.

Hopefully Audi puts AVS on the V6 with the supercharger and on all of its other engines, V8, V8T, V10 and so on.

The Pretender
June 27th, 2008, 08:35
It only works up to 7000 rpm and there are a few engine's that rev higher.

Jarod.

chewym
June 28th, 2008, 22:29
Looks like the 3.0TFSI won't be getting AVS. Hopefully that will come in an update in a few years.