PDA

View Full Version : new 997 AWD vs R8 AWD

RXBG
June 25th, 2008, 18:02
seems the 2008 997 had a viscous multi plate awd system akin to the one in the R8 and gayardo, but for 2009 porsche has installed a new electronically controlled differential and mechanical limited slip rear diff instead. this new set up is a variation of the one used in the TT.

i wonder if audi has considered doing the same with the R8. though it seems the rest of set up on the R8 is so good that it may not need it?

Damienr8
June 25th, 2008, 18:22
I think that the R8's vicous coupling AWD system has proved itself. It's Fantastic. BTW. Is there a reason that porsche is switching differentials? Does the new Electronically Controlled Differential offer any advantages over the current one in the R8?

KresoF1
June 25th, 2008, 18:41
seems the 2008 997 had a viscous multi plate awd system akin to the one in the R8 and gayardo, but for 2009 porsche has installed a new electronically controlled differential and mechanical limited slip rear diff instead. this new set up is a variation of the one used in the TT.

i wonder if audi has considered doing the same with the R8. though it seems the rest of set up on the R8 is so good that it may not need it?

Porsche new AWD on Carrera 4 models is in fact system from 997 Turbo. This AWD is pretty contraversail amoung Porsche enthusiast since PTM(Porsche Traction Managment) is on paper State-of-the-art... BUT, in reality system is pretty driver demanding. PTM is the fastest reacting AWD system(in comparison with visco based system a la Gallardo, R8 or old 997 Carrera 4) and that makes it pretty akward on the limit...
997 Turbo is when driving it at more then 7/10 very demanding car to fully control. For example in you push in the corner and you can get mild understeer with 997 Turbo, then if you push even further car extremly fast changes to oversteer and you are in small trouble... If you back off in the middle of the corner PTM again can not correct physics and again you are in small trouble... For any 997 slow in, fast out is the technic for corners(just you need to master that technic)...

Why do you think is LSD standard on AWD(PTM) Carrera 4 models? Not to improve traction but, to stabilize the car under extreme situations...

Since Carrera 4 models do not have that power and torque of 997 Turbo I do not expect them to be so demanding...

R8 AWD is pretty good system. YES, little bit agricultural in feel(turning the wheel on parking spot at low speed feeling) but, overall I am pleased with it.

JUST... IMHO R8 is almost as demading as 997 Turbo when you switch ESP off.

You need to slowly learn how to drive your R8 really fast. Respect the car and be carefull. If you have any driving talent you will enjoy your R8 very much after some km's(or miles)...

Back to your question:

There wont be any updated AWD on R8 till end of its production life(2012).

The Pretender
June 25th, 2008, 19:00
Is there a reason that porsche is switching differentials?
It's basically a 180 degree turned VW 4motion system.

Jarod.

Erik
June 25th, 2008, 19:09
Rumor has it Porsche will use HALDEX.

The Pretender
June 25th, 2008, 19:12
That is no rumour. ;)

Jarod.

Damienr8
June 25th, 2008, 19:12

Why the sudden switch in differentials?

BTW, just posted production R8 pics in R8 Thread.

andreadebi
June 26th, 2008, 20:51
That is no rumour. ;)

Jarod.

really uses Haldex now?

Leadfoot
June 27th, 2008, 12:31

Well it was good enough for the 1000hp Bugatti.