PDA

View Full Version : 280-300 hp TT 3.6 VR6 FSI on the way. ?

The Pretender
June 25th, 2008, 17:43
However, Audi is said to be preparing to switch the TT’s current range-topping engine — a 3.2L V6 — for a 280 horsepower version of Volkswagen’s 3.6L V6.

Source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-tt-rs.html

Jarod.

The Pretender
June 25th, 2008, 19:10
I hope it will end up with the 300 hp version of the Passat R36.
Because i prefer this engine over the TTS one.

Cool looking engine.

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Volkswagen-Passat_R36_2007_800x600_wallpaper_08.jpg (http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2007-passat_r36/)

Jarod.
(http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2007-passat_r36/)

SigmaS6
June 25th, 2008, 19:13
But that's indicated by all kinds of sources since the MKII came out and it never happened. I guess it would be interesting to see though how current TTS buyers react if shortly after the release of the range topping S-model the standard model gets upgraded beyond the S, while the weight should roughly stay the same (afaik the 3.6 isn't noticably heavier than the 3.2 which is 15kg close to the TTS).

The Pretender
June 25th, 2008, 19:48
But that's indicated by all kinds of sources since the MKII came out and it never happened. I guess it would be interesting to see though how current TTS buyers react if shortly after the release of the range topping S-model the standard model gets upgraded beyond the S, while the weight should roughly stay the same (afaik the 3.6 isn't noticably heavier than the 3.2 which is 15kg close to the TTS).
Only the weight balance is a little bit worse then the TTS.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
June 25th, 2008, 20:16
TT3.6L vs TT/S
3.6FSi vs 2.0TFSi
280hp vs 272hp
350Nm vs 350Nm

I still bet if this actually ends up to be the figures of the 3.6L model the TT/S will still be the quicker more engaging drive, with the TT3.6 proving to be the most luxury GT version.

If you believe for one moment the the TT/S only kicks out 272hp then you really need to wake up, like all turbo units with dense cold air they produce a lot more than a similar powered N/A engine.

I would agree that on sound alone the V6 will sound the sweeter.

RXBG
June 25th, 2008, 20:47
just goes to show. the TTS engine should have always been a 300 hp one. maybe audi will "update it" to that much when the 3.2 gets replaced (which it should because i think it is a joke). it has been in service since the 2003 MY in the US- damn near 6 calendar years for god's sake. that is longer than one entire generation of the honda accord. and no, i do not think the diff between the 3.2 that first came out and the one currently in producution are significantly different.

M3 owner
June 25th, 2008, 23:25
I still bet if this actually ends up to be the figures of the 3.6L model the TT/S will still be the quicker more engaging drive, with the TT3.6 proving to be the most luxury GT version. :thumb:

There is nothing particularly special about the current 3.2L or the proposed 3.6L engines. Most journalists here claim that the 2L turbo version is far more of a rewarding drive than the 3.2L version.

The Pretender
September 2nd, 2008, 20:12
It seems that Audi will introduce the TT 3.6 Quattro within 4-6 month's to replace the old 3.2 VR6.
I don't like the ADHD 2.0TFSI engine of the TT-S and looking forward to a 280-300 hp 3.6 VR6 FSI engine.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2007/2007-Volkswagen-Passat-R36-Engine-1024x768.jpg

The nice thing about this engine is by putting a turbo on it you get a 500+ hp engine.

Jarod.

roadrunner
September 3rd, 2008, 10:06
I don't like the ADHD 2.0TFSI engine of the TT-S and looking forward to a 280-300 hp 3.6 VR6 FSI engine.
Jarod.

Any particular reason?

trick
September 3rd, 2008, 12:24
So they'll introduce a "normal" TT with more power than a "premium" TTS?

I'll believe it when it happens.

Leadfoot
September 3rd, 2008, 13:16
I am still struggling with the logic of having two models of the same car having such similar power outputs. They are limited to the 350Nm of torque so neither have any benefit there in performance, though the TT/S should have a slight advantage in feel if not that much in overall handling.

Never in the entire history of the S model range has a 'normal' version offered similar power, so if this is now going to be the case, why?

My guess if remains that Audi will sell this 3.6L as an alternative to the TT/S is some markets that find to idea of a 2.0L 4 cylinder in adequate.

The Pretender
September 3rd, 2008, 15:57
The TT-S is a semi hardcore sport coupe, the 3.6 will be more a grand tourer typ of car, even fast but with more grace and much better sound.

Jarod.

The Pretender
September 3rd, 2008, 17:04
So they'll introduce a "normal" TT with more power than a "premium" TTS?

I'll believe it when it happens.

Never in the entire history of the S model range has a 'normal' version offered similar power, so if this is now going to be the case, why?
My guess if remains that Audi will sell this 3.6L as an alternative to the TT/S is some markets that find to idea of a 2.0L 4 cylinder in adequate.

It's not that difficult.
Just give the customer the option of two engine side by side in the same model.

Audi TT-S R4 2.0TFSI 272 ps.
Audi TT-S VR6 3.6 FSI 280-300 ps.
Give them both the same optical appearance with the same options en people can choose der favored version.
And the market itself can decide witch model will sell better and have a future in that market.
i would choose the 3.6 VR6 version 24/7 over the 2.0TFSI one.

Another option is to upgrade the TT-S to a 5 cilinder 2.5TFSI engine instead of a TT RS.

Jarod.