PDA

View Full Version : Buying a secondhand C5 RS6.

strom
June 22nd, 2008, 11:35
Hi experts,

I'm browsing the marked for a second-hand C5 RS6, and I'm wondering what parts of the car I should to pay extra too.

Is the transmission reliable?, does the twin turbo break down now and agiian?. etc. Basicily what parts are fragile and expensive to replace!

Regards mates.

:addict:

The RS6
June 22nd, 2008, 13:12
D...r...c... :)

DuckWingDuck
June 22nd, 2008, 19:18
I hate to sound like an ass because I realize that it can come across as such but a simple search will reveal many of the questions that you're looking for. To help you along though, here are some issues to consider...

1. DRC. I think at this point, everybody and their cousin who is even in the slightest knowledgeable about the RS6 knows that the DRC has major issues, if it goes bad for you. There are many people for whom this is a problem, but then there are those for whom the DRC isn't an issue. So, your mileage will vary but basically, don't be surprised when it does go.

2. Transmission. A lot of people talk about the transmission being potentially problematic but as far as I'm aware, there aren't too many on the boards who own RS6s that have had their transmission replaces because of an actual problem. At this point, I think this is mostly a speculative issue.

3. Turbos. It can go bad and in fact, at my last service, my service advisor mentioned to me that it seems like my turbo is starting to show a bit of leakage.

4. MRO. This is a finicky car, and it is not cheap to maintain. The brakes wear out relatively quickly and aren't the cheapest to replace. An oil change will probably run you close to $200 if you go to the dealership. Aronis does his own oil change (and a few others I think), but even then I doubt that it's cheap since your engine will eat a lot of oil.

All in all, it's a great car and I am glad that I've got one, but be prepared!

ben916
June 23rd, 2008, 18:08
I hate to sound like an ass ...
(too late for that... :hihi: )

DWD, If I was a betting man, I would have bet that you were going to write S E A R C H.....