PDA

View Full Version : R8 V10 testing at the ring today (video)

Skaala
June 20th, 2008, 14:38
It looks soooooo goooood in flat black!
Sorry about the low quality, t-mobile wireless wont let me upload bigger files to youtube. I'll upload some high-res when I get home... A lot of noise is lost in the conversion, bass mostly...it sounds great!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkLl-GQM4qc

Damienr8
June 20th, 2008, 15:37
My god that looks sexy as hell. I hope that is an option. Imagine Flat Black with Carbon sideblade!!!

RXBG
June 20th, 2008, 18:28
screw how it looks.

it sounds u n b e l i e v e a b l e.

i'd get this car just because of the sound

KresoF1
June 20th, 2008, 18:47
Honestly,
I saw it personally(RED one) in Neckarsulm in April and to me it sounded(from outside) about as good as normal R8. Different V10 sound of course but, not really that much better...

Of course it is faster(in fact 997TT fast!) then V8 but, it will be more expensive as well(I already know EU price)...

Leadfoot
June 20th, 2008, 21:46
Of course it is faster(in fact 997TT fast!) then V8

Well if it's that much quicker it's sure to post an amazingly good ring time. ;)

RXBG
June 20th, 2008, 21:53
probably not as fast as the regular GTR even (given the lack of DSG), but faster than a GTR spec V with a true manual (if there were to be one).

i still think the GTR performance is mainly a function of transmission, secondly of actual chassis dynamics.

The Pretender
June 20th, 2008, 23:01
That R8 V10 looks much faster then the TT RS.
I see no problem for a 380 hp TT RS.
The TT RS can maybe compete in the shadow of the R8 V8 in speed but not with this V10.

Jarod.

Damienr8
June 20th, 2008, 23:43
probably not as fast as the regular GTR even (given the lack of DSG), but faster than a GTR spec V with a true manual (if there were to be one).

i still think the GTR performance is mainly a function of transmission, secondly of actual chassis dynamics.

Im kinda at a lost with your first statement. Do you mean that it will not be faster than a GTR but faster than a GTR spec V?

It's friday and im losing it :) . BTW it sounds great!

Z07
June 21st, 2008, 13:28
Looks fast. Can't wait to hear some times.

Leadfoot
June 22nd, 2008, 11:38
Looks fast. Can't wait to hear some times.

GTR fast I reckoning on. :hahahehe:

The Pretender
June 22nd, 2008, 11:51
Take the time of the new Gallardo LP560-4 put some ± 10 sec's more to it and you have the R8 V10 time IMHO.

btw, why way a Gallardo V10 ±130 Kg less then a R8 V8 ? , i rekon the new LP560-4 will weigh a bit more then the old one.

Jarod.

KresoF1
June 22nd, 2008, 13:09
My source claim that R8 V10 is about 10s faster on the Ring then R8. Since Stippler made 7.55min we all know what that means...

Fastest time achived by Stippler was 7.39min in stripped down R8 V10(no Navi, B&O etc.).

That means in Horst von Saurma hands 7.48min in best case scenario.

Leadfoot
June 22nd, 2008, 13:25
I'm less interested in what the car make on the ring compared to more normal tracks, these are a better judge of a car's potential as it's all about cornering speed and less about top end grunt.

Z07
June 22nd, 2008, 14:42
i rekon the new LP560-4 will weigh a bit more then the old one.

Jarod.
The LP560-4 will weigh 1500kg - 20kg lighter than before. It will have the same PWR as the old Superleggera.

KresoF1
June 22nd, 2008, 14:54
I'm less interested in what the car make on the ring compared to more normal tracks, these are a better judge of a car's potential as it's all about cornering speed and less about top end grunt.

I do not agree here with you at all.

Why?

No country road(specially mountain road) is as flat as Hockenheim or Bedford.

Ring is a benchmark for all sportcars manufactures. I was there and belive me there is a good reason for it...

Leadfoot
June 22nd, 2008, 16:42
I do not agree here with you at all.

Why?

No country road(specially mountain road) is as flat as Hockenheim or Bedford.

Ring is a benchmark for all sportcars manufactures. I was there and belive me there is a good reason for it...

You are missing my point Kerso, if the ring didn't have such long straights the R8 would be up there with the best of them. It's the high speed straights that is killing the R8's time.

Every magazine has stated how incredibly composed the R8 is on bumpy, bad camber surfaces, in fact better than an almost anything Autocar and EVO have tested. The fact that it's Autocar's favourite driver's car of 2007 proves that it's got one of the best chassis ever, even better than the GT3. The only track that it doesn't perform on is the ring, so maybe you have to look more closely and see why this is.

I wish SportAuto posted sector times for the ring to see what cars did on different sections. I think if this was done you may find the R8 performed very well against some other cars that are 10+ seconds quicker.

KresoF1
June 22nd, 2008, 18:46
Again, you are wrong...

R8
http://images.sportauto-online.de/hps/img/hxmedia/mpsspa/2007/07/2O5JrnAeBY_BOw_650x.jpg

M3 Coupe
http://images.sportauto-online.de/hps/img/hxmedia/mpsspa/2008/06/1Md1Omw71Xcmwc_650x.gif

KresoF1
June 22nd, 2008, 18:51
Just to add few more things...

On Hockenheim R8 is pretty fast with Corsa tires just, it is not as composed with ESP off as you said. Did you drive R8 with ESP off? If not, please do so... From personal experience I can tell you that in ESP off it is as demading as 997 Turbo is ESP off mode. That means-pretty demanding...

On German Oschersleben track R8 achieved pretty good time but, again tester claimed that car is very demanding for fast track driving...

Erik
June 22nd, 2008, 19:01
I wish SportAuto posted sector times for the ring to see what cars did on different sections.

They have done this for many years.

Leadfoot
June 22nd, 2008, 21:18
Just to add few more things...

On Hockenheim R8 is pretty fast with Corsa tires just, it is not as composed with ESP off as you said. Did you drive R8 with ESP off? If not, please do so... From personal experience I can tell you that in ESP off it is as demading as 997 Turbo is ESP off mode. That means-pretty demanding...

On German Oschersleben track R8 achieved pretty good time but, again tester claimed that car is very demanding for fast track driving...

What can I say, we British are clearly much better drivers than you Europeans. :hihi:

Thanks for highlighting the fact that SA do give the info I was looking, as I don't speak or read German I only ever look and the finished results. It was interesting to see how much slower the R8 was on the long straights than the M3, (254km/h vs 266km/h) & (235km/h vs 247km/h), at least that shows that I was right in thinking that the R8 was losing minutes :D on parts of the track.

As for driving the R8 with ESP off.............come on man, all the R8s that have been come over here have been sold to customers before delivery so the chance of abusing them are nil. But I have enough experience with mid-engined cars to know exactly what you are meaning, if you want something to be easier to balance at the limit get a front engined car every time.