PDA

View Full Version : BMW X3 is Afraid of Mercedes GLK but not Audi Q5

The RS6
June 20th, 2008, 09:30
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080609.017/bmw-x3-is-afraid-of-mercedes-glk-but-not-audi-q5

Here we go again...

According to Automotive News, a BMW spokesman said the company feels more threatened by Mercedes' GLK class than Audi's Q5.

"A typical BMW customer is not going to move down to a Q5. There is more chance that they would go for something like a GLK. Just because Audi will price the car in the premium segment does not make it a premium vehicle," the spokesman said.

HKS786
June 20th, 2008, 13:59
haha...I seen this last week. I posted it on another forum and had a discussion about it. What a stupid statement, I'm not sure if BMW noticed but the X3 isnt exactly a work of art :hihi:

Leadfoot
June 20th, 2008, 15:09
That statement show the arrogance of BMW and their dealers, to think that the aging is to the standard to even compete with the Q5 when already the Tiguan and Freelander2 have given it a good old beating.

Great work BMW, sticking your head in the sand and hoping for the best. :hihi:

Audiphile
June 20th, 2008, 23:01
I read this in Automotive News a week ago. One has to wonder about BMW's management ability to see the competitive landscape and their ability to adjust to competition if this is what they believe. Obviously, the BMW PR mouthpiece must have realized after that he sounded like a fool that barely graduated business school. Not that it makes BMW look arrogant, but more like a desperate attempt to dish Audi so they (BMW) can look somehow superior. Sounds like they are a bit scared.

Carl Lassiter
June 21st, 2008, 02:24
I assume/hope this is just one "PR" fool talking out of his rear end and his weekly paychk is kept back for this one. Hubris is a dangerous thing so BMW had best be wary. For what it's worth, BMW, MB and Audi all make different but equally staggering cars (and a few I don't care for which the X3/GLK/Q5 fit into)

Audiphile
June 21st, 2008, 03:48
I assume/hope this is just one "PR" fool talking out of his rear end and his weekly paychk is kept back for this one. Hubris is a dangerous thing so BMW had best be wary. For what it's worth, BMW, MB and Audi all make different but equally staggering cars (and a few I don't care for which the X3/GLK/Q5 fit into)

I would hope it is only one "PR" fool talking out of his rear, but I have read similar statements made by other BMW personnel including their CEO and their head of Australia. Unfortunately, this type of "street talk" speaks volumes for their corporate culture, and it does not make them look good. Humility is a very important aspect of respect. Plus, if they honestly believe this, someone should point out to them what happened to the Roman Empire when it got too big and too fat. The funny thing is both BMW and Audi are on a tear with the impression that MB is trying to catch up. So, if I am BMW, I would be more worried about Audi than MB at this point in time. Plus, I would not dismiss Audi's (if I were BMW) determination to be number one. You see it every statement Audi makes and every action Audi takes these days. The new A4 will cause serious damage to the 3-Series in terms of competitive sales, especially in Europe where the A4 and 3-Series run neck and neck in sales easily leaving the C-Class behind.

RXBG
June 24th, 2008, 16:06
this attitude is the precise reason why i experience the greatest pleasure when i pull by any new model bmw on the road. the BMW drivers here in the USA are typically stuffy, whether or not they can actually afford the car they are in or mortgaged their house to drive it, they are all generally pompous. the ones in the M3's and M5's and M6's are the ones i relish the most in. when these look in their rear view mirros they see a martian following them reminding them that their crap really does stink and that there is a car company that makes sexier, more beautiful, and hotter cars...

then i pass by with the V8 FSI exhaust note and the lesson is complete.

i've only met one bimmer so far that wanted to test his mettle- a new M5- but there was a bit too much traffic, and he was doing some stuff that was frankly toodangerous so i called it off....

Audiphile
June 25th, 2008, 03:45
this attitude is the precise reason why i experience the greatest pleasure when i pull by any new model bmw on the road. the BMW drivers here in the USA are typically stuffy, whether or not they can actually afford the car they are in or mortgaged their house to drive it, they are all generally pompous. the ones in the M3's and M5's and M6's are the ones i relish the most in. when these look in their rear view mirros they see a martian following them reminding them that their crap really does stink and that there is a car company that makes sexier, more beautiful, and hotter cars...

i've only met one bimmer so far that wanted to test his mettle- a new M5- but there was a bit too much traffic, and he was doing some stuff that was frankly toodangerous so i called it off....

+1:thumb:

The RS6
June 25th, 2008, 10:08
Some kind of a reply from Audi...

http://www.esquire.com/features/cars-2008/audi-mercedes-0708

gjg
June 30th, 2008, 22:01

not only in US .....

+2 :thumb:

Leadfoot
June 30th, 2008, 22:41
I find BMW drivers in general are very dismissive of Audi products, usually slating them to the lowest. That to me is a sign of fear, I would personally be very upset if they weren't running Audi down.

You never take a dig at the underdog, only the top dog. :hihi:

Mockenrue
June 30th, 2008, 23:17
Speaking of dogs, I saw this the other day on another forum and thought it was quite funny:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/WHITEY_1/KEEPONRUNNING1-1.jpg

Audiphile
July 1st, 2008, 04:02
I find BMW drivers in general are very dismissive of Audi products, usually slating them to the lowest. That to me is a sign of fear, I would personally be very upset if they weren't running Audi down.

You never take a dig at the underdog, only the top dog. :hihi:

They are dismissive because they (bimmer drivers) have to justify why the settled for a BMW rather than buy the intelligent choice Audi. Generally, the BMW is cheaper to get than an Audi (at least in the States) considering how much BMW subsidized their cars to increase volume. I guess that is why they lost 400 Million USD here so they could increase their volume for the sake of profit and exclusitivity. Their (BMW's) residuals have bit the dust here lately. Plus, they are fed the BMW propanganda about the "Ultimate Fart". I mean why would any sane person choose a 7-Series over an A8L? Like don't they read the professional reviews and the JD Power reliability surveys? A question I have asked many 7-Series owners at carwashes who seem to have no clue most of the time. They are like sheep, nothing more. Recently, a very close friend of mine that is in the auto industry in terms of being a general manager for one the biggest dealership groups in the Los Angeles area stated that almost every luxury dealer franchise is loosing money here except for Audi. To me, BMW is running in circles trying to answer Audi at every turn it seems lately.

Yes, you only dig at the top dawg:) Just look what Audi has done in the UK and Europe in less than a decade. Yeah, BMW should be concerned at such business savvey.