PDA

View Full Version : 1st Drive of the Beast

Finnus
July 16th, 2003, 18:11
I picked up the Beast yesterday afternoon. Muguello Blue, silver interior, carbon fiber trim, nav, sound enhance, hands free phone. Although I've only put about 100 miles on it, here's my preliminary report.

The carbon fiber trim looks fantastic - it gives the interior an "edgy" and very up-to-date look . :alig: When you start the car, the engine just growls. From outside, the sound gives away some of the understatement of the car and you know there's a monster lurking under the hood. When you hit the accelerator, the car starts to roar. Inside, it's pretty muted and driving the car you get just the hint of the growl. (For those who haven't ordered the sound enhance and like that deep throaty growl, I would strongly advise getting it. )

Driving the car, the power is awesome and even a little scary at first. :MTM: You're up to 90 mph in the blink of an eye, and the car always seems to be chomping at the bit to go faster. The car just seems to have limitless power reserves and is always ready, willing and able to accelerate more, seemingly without effort. I have to get this thing equiped with V1 and a laser jammer ASAP (see my other post)!!!

I personally think there's an excellent balance between luxury and performance. Remember, this is a 2-ton beast. The seats are extremely comfortable, with everything feeling firm. I'll find out how comfortable it is on a long trip this weekend. The steering is firm as is the handling, but certainly not what I would call overly "sporty". I like the DRC and cornering on highway off ramps was extremely well controlled. Overall, you get the clear impression that "this car means business".

Bottom line: you're in for a real treat and once you get your beast, the frustration of the last year quickly fades away behind you ...

Finnus :cheers:
:addict: :addict: :addict:

bilbozilla
July 16th, 2003, 18:14
I'm still 4-5 months out on mine. I have never lost this much sleep over waiting for a car before in my life. Congratulations.

Benman
July 16th, 2003, 18:35
ahh Finnus,:cheers:

now you finally see what i was saying.:D so happy to hear the beast is now yours. enjoy:cheers:

Ben:addict: (just wait till you have it over 155!!!)

Mr. Fru-T Pants
July 16th, 2003, 18:47
Glad to hear you're having so much fun. It's about time.

The report from your weekend trip should be entertaining. :)

Congrats, and have fun with the new toy.

Fru-T

Bauer
July 16th, 2003, 18:57
Finnus

I am jealous.....but extreamly happy for your. Cant wait to see the pics and to continue to hear the stories. On the hands free phone did it come from the factory or was it dealer installed? The dealer I ordered the car through just had pretty much there whole senior staff walk out so getting info is becomming difficult. I said I wanted the hands free phone and it does not show on the MyJourny site as one of my options(dont know if it would). Enjoy the car.

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered:incar:

Finnus
July 16th, 2003, 19:18
I said I wanted the hands free phone and it does not show on the MyJourny site as one of my options(dont know if it would).

Bauer,

The hands free phone was dealer installed, so it won't show on the MAJ website. I had them transfer my current cell phone # to the new phone.

Finnus

RS6FEVR
July 16th, 2003, 19:19
:cheers: Finnus :bang: :bang:

Another "finally it's mine and in my garage post!!!" fantastico and congratulations :D :D

Thanks for the post and first impressions. I'm really glad to hear about the comfort side as I knew the performance side was going to be 'par excellance'! How do you like the paint finish? Any orange peel? Fit and finish, as they say, up to snuff?

Look forward to photo's and further reports when you get a chance to stop smiling and beating up on all that other metal out there! :mouthshut :mouthshut

:addict: FEVR :addict:

Finnus
July 16th, 2003, 19:28
FEVR,

Finish is absolutely "top-shelf". I think Audi & VAG really excel on paint & finish. My 2001 S4 still looks great after three years. I had seen the Muguello Blue at the NYC auto show - the interior lighting does not do the paint job justice. In the natural light, the finish is much brighter and more "lively". I also saw the Avus Silver which looked great - a bit darker than my S4.

Finnus

TheBrit
July 16th, 2003, 19:51
Congratulations! Hope you're breaking it in gently! :)

nene
July 16th, 2003, 20:04
Those are most certainly wonderful news Finnus!!!

My Daytona Gray has the Silver interior as well, and I have to admit that at first I was not sure I made the right decision, but after seeing it, I know I did.
Best thing ever: The whole interior roof line is made of Alcantara, like the inserts on my Silver S4!!! I thought that just rocked man.

I'm a sucker for attention to details, and this car certainly got it all.

Speedracer
July 16th, 2003, 20:21
Congratulations Finnus! Seems like ages since that rainy day at Lime Rock. Where are you going this weekend? Anywhere near my neck of the woods?
Speed

Finnus
July 16th, 2003, 21:18
Where are you going this weekend? Anywhere near my neck of the woods?

Speed,

I'm thinking about the Waterfest on Saturday in Englishtown, NJ. If you want to try to meet there, send me a private message, and I'll send you my cell #.

Finnus

krm
July 16th, 2003, 21:40
Congratulations! Enjoy it well.

If you have a chance, share some pics :)