PDA

View Full Version : RNS-e BT install issues

jtessman
June 18th, 2008, 18:51
Looking for any BTDT experiences with adding BT to an RS6 with an RNS-e. Just had my dealer install my BT module. In the process they have disabled my GPS. The moving map works but appears to be based on the gyro only and only after I told it where it was. When I check the INFO mode and Engineering modes I get 0 satellites. Dealer swears the RNS-e was not removed during install so the antenna connection was not disturbed. I've also lost the street display on the instrument panel display. All suggestions welcome! I will x-post on audiworld and navpl.us

Thx...jon

snoopra
June 19th, 2008, 00:15
They had to remove the RNS-E to install the BT wiring.

jtessman
June 19th, 2008, 00:47
Sorry, I should have included the fact that I had Onstar installed and used the appropriate harness when I did the RNS-e install. With that harness installed they shouldn't need to pull the head would they?

snoopra
June 19th, 2008, 03:24
My car came with a BT add-on (car has factory Onstar). When I installed my RNS-E unit, the harness and wiring for the BT where connected to the back of the radio via a "T" harness. I'm in the Virgin Islands (Just barely got GPS mapping in 2007!) and never had any issues with the NAV. Maybe they disconnected the antenna. If this is the case, you may need to drive acouple miles for it to reprogram the SATs (took mine about 10-15 miles to get the SATs)

DuckWingDuck
June 19th, 2008, 03:50
it's my understanding that the rns-e unit has to come off, otherwise, how are they going to be able to integrate the BT kit with your unit (no matter what it is)? I'd poke around navplus.us boards or contact Lee (NSX Jr) at his site: http://www.nsxjr.com/

jtessman
June 19th, 2008, 03:56
Traded email with Lee Hicks (Mr. NSXJR) who sold me the RNS-e and the BT kit. He suggested that the tech somehow shorted out the GPS lead to the onstar after removing that module. Turns out there is a splitter behind the old trunk mounted unit. Found that and removed the splitter and connected it right to the extension lead to the RNS-e and evrey thing is fine once again! This probably will improve the GSP sensitivity since the splitter would attenuate the signal by 3dB or so.

Thanks all!!!:wo: