http://globalmotors.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/image_51.jpg
http://globalmotors.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/image_42.jpg
http://globalmotors.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/image_32.jpg
http://globalmotors.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/image_23.jpg
http://globalmotors.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/image_13.jpg
http://globalmotors.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/image_22.jpg

HKS786
June 17th, 2008, 14:29
Guys this is firm proof that we havent seen the TT-R body yet. First Audi used TT-Sline prototypes and now they are using the TT-S. They clues that indicate we are seeing the TT-R in testing are the exhausts and the honeycomb mesh used for intakes.

Leadfoot
June 17th, 2008, 14:39
This is the TT/R test mule, you are right in thinking the exhaust and honeycomb is the give away.

I wish I was there to hear the exhaust note.

Rage
June 17th, 2008, 15:23
Welcome affirmation that the TTR is going ahead I hope.

ZeroCool
June 17th, 2008, 16:57
are this ceramic brakes? it seems to be?!

The Pretender
June 17th, 2008, 17:47
This is the TT/R test mule, you are right in thinking the exhaust and honeycomb is the give away.

I wish I was there to hear the exhaust note.

Info say that this car is running a 380 hp sequential turbo layout 2.5TFSI inline 5 cylinder engine (Half RS6 engine) and Torsen center diff. (40-60% rear bias)

Jarod.

ZeroCool
June 17th, 2008, 17:49
torsen? really?

The Pretender
June 17th, 2008, 18:04
torsen? really?
I'm not sure if the info is 100% correct but this car would have a all new transverse wet 7-speed Quattro DSG/S-tronic gearbox with a Torsen center diff and QTV rear diff.
This car move better then the RS4 according to the info.

Jarod.

youry
June 17th, 2008, 18:23
no way that they are goign to put that much power to that car.... we all would love it, but I really doubt it strongly

ZeroCool
June 17th, 2008, 18:42
I'm not sure if the info is 100% correct but this car would have a all new transverse wet 7-speed Quattro DSG/S-tronic gearbox with a Torsen center diff and QTV rear diff.

Jarod.

thanks....sounds really interesting :) let's wait and see what they're going to do :D

@youry...

Yes, that could be - but they're testing it with 380hp to know how far they can go :) but 350hp sounds better :p

The Pretender
June 17th, 2008, 18:58
are this ceramic brakes? it seems to be?!
Yes they are.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
June 17th, 2008, 19:22

Jarod.

Did I not say that this car will be the RS model to watch. I didn't get confirmation as to what awd system it would be running but the source did say that it's truly incredible and will be better than anything which has come before it.

Though I don't think his comments included the legendary R8.

Leadfoot
June 17th, 2008, 19:28
thanks....sounds really interesting :) let's wait and see what they're going to do :D

@youry...

Yes, that could be - but they're testing it with 380hp to know how far they can go :) but 350hp sounds better :p

380hp is the figure all of us have heard so I reckon that figure is for definite, the engine is capable of a lot more mind, the norm is that when you half an engine it usually will yield slightly more power than before. The RS6 has 580hp which divided is 390hp, using my estimates the TT/R should be able to produce an easy 400hp but may be pegged back to keep it's distance from the R8 and RS5.

The only advantage of this is they could give it an amazing torque curve. :hahahehe:

The Pretender
June 17th, 2008, 19:42
A 1442 Kg / 380 hp TT-R will be in the shadow of the R8 4.2 FSI.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
June 17th, 2008, 19:48
A 1442 Kg / 380 hp TT-R will be in the shadow of the R8 4.2 FSI.

Jarod.

I don't believe it will get a full 380hp when it reaches production, though I hope I am wrong. The only reason I see for the move up in power is the new Z4M Mk2 with it's 4.0Lv8 engine, that would easily out accelerate a 340hp TT no matter how good it was in the corners. 380hp would make the Z4M owner think twice before tackling one.

The RS6
June 17th, 2008, 22:29
380hp is the figure all of us have heard so I reckon that figure is for definite, the engine is capable of a lot more mind, the norm is that when you half an engine it usually will yield slightly more power than before. The RS6 has 580hp which divided is 390hp, using my estimates the TT/R should be able to produce an easy 400hp but may be pegged back to keep it's distance from the R8 and RS5.

The only advantage of this is they could give it an amazing torque curve. :hahahehe:

290, not 390 :)

ZeroCool
June 17th, 2008, 23:42
@Leadie...

i know what you mean - but i put it to 350 because if they give it really 380 then everybody will be happy because they expected 350 :D

and if it only gets 350 - then they also will be happy :D

there is no other way - we have to wait and see :)

AndyBG
June 18th, 2008, 00:38
It will be outstanding car, that's for sure..., only thing that bothers me is, why Audi can't deploy its RS cars earlier...

HKS786
June 18th, 2008, 00:42
It will be outstanding car, that's for sure..., only thing that bothers me is, why Audi can't deploy its RS cars earlier...

+1

Look at BMW M division and Merc AMG, they have lots of models out simultaneously. It's a shame because I love RS lineup and I know upcoming RS models will be amazing :D

Leadfoot
June 18th, 2008, 12:10
290, not 390 :)

What a dick, I knew that when you half an engine's capacity it always yield more power but my brain read it as 390hp instead of the right figure of 290hp. :doh:

Thanks for highlighting to error. :thumb:

P.S.

Remember someone (not mentioning names) said never to the possibility of an TT/R. :hihi:

Well I have it on good authority that not only is it coming but it's release date has been brought forward. :thumb: This explains why originally I said the RS5 was to be launched first ahead of the TT/R but then commented on how things had gone quite on the RS5 and info about the TT/R were coming more and more often. Well there's your reason, it's to be launched first and it's next year for definite. :cheers:

HKS786
June 18th, 2008, 13:16
Yeah and dont forget Leadie that V10TT is actually puting out about ~600bhp. So the 5 cylinder engine would put out ~300bhp based on those calculations. ;)

The calculations arent still aren't accurate because when we say "half of the V10TT engine", we dont actually mean 5 cylinders with 1 turbo. We mean that it'll be 5 cylinders with the TT technology. a 2.5l engine hitting 350bhp would be an amazing achievement hitting 140bhp/l. Are we sure thats what the power rating will be and that's what the engine will be?

KresoF1
June 18th, 2008, 16:48
What a dick, I knew that when you half an engine's capacity it always yield more power but my brain read it as 390hp instead of the right figure of 290hp. :doh:

Thanks for highlighting to error. :thumb:

P.S.

Remember someone (not mentioning names) said never to the possibility of an TT/R. :hihi:

Well I have it on good authority that not only is it coming but it's release date has been brought forward. :thumb: This explains why originally I said the RS5 was to be launched first ahead of the TT/R but then commented on how things had gone quite on the RS5 and info about the TT/R were coming more and more often. Well there's your reason, it's to be launched first and it's next year for definite. :cheers:

Leadie,

IF(!) TTR ever appear on the market bring out this thread since most of the info about TTR is pure fantasy...
I know that you are biased since you plan to buy it...

Torsen AWD with 40/60 power distribution in TTR?????
7speed S Tronic with wet clutches??????

I will stop here...

BTW, I saw some interesting production start info for 2009... TTR section is under "maybe"...;)

Leadfoot
June 18th, 2008, 19:46
Leadie,

IF(!) TTR ever appear on the market bring out this thread since most of the info about TTR is pure fantasy...
I know that you are biased since you plan to buy it...

Deposit is already with the dealer, so yeah I'm getting one. :jlol:

I will stop here...

I think you are addressing Jarod's comments and I know where he's back-ground info is coming from so I can stay out of this one as he can speak perfectly well for himself. :D

BTW, I saw some interesting production start info for 2009... TTR section is under "maybe"...;)

I reckon you need to recheck your info as it's old news, the TT/R IS coming and it's been bumped up to 2009 for definite. You heard it first here.:deal:

ZeroCool
June 18th, 2008, 20:03
@KresoF1...

I have to agree with Leadie - my source is not the same like the one from Leadie - and i have the same info ;)

HKS786
June 18th, 2008, 20:19
It is most def coming out. Leadie, Zero, and Hans have confirmed it. My source confirmed it a while ago too. Cmon guys. We've seen the S-Line and TT-S prototypes running around. What else explains the exhausts/brakes/front intakes?

It's nothing to do with the Clubsport (which I feel and others that might preview the TT-R in some respects i.e wider track), because the Clubsport has already been unveiled officially. It's also worth noting that Clubsport prototypes actually used the Clubsport body as we seen in concept form.

Leadfoot
June 18th, 2008, 21:44
Maybe Kerso is our voice of reason, but at times the comments which are ever welcome are a tiny bit negative.

I don't know where the info comes from on his behalf but I am 100% sure in my source as everything passed to me has proven to be correct, the RS6 info was exactly spot on the mark and the same was true of the S4 when everyone else thought it was turboed. If he says that the TT/R is coming soon and is going to be truly amazing then I have total faith that this will indeed be the case.

And I am willing to bet with my money. :ttaddict:

The Pretender
June 18th, 2008, 21:56
If i was a betting man i put my money on a Paris introduction for the TT-R. ;)
But i'm not.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
June 18th, 2008, 21:58
If i was a betting man i put my money on a Paris introduction for the TT-R. ;)
But i'm not.

Jarod.

Remember me again when Paris is. ;)

artur777
June 18th, 2008, 23:13
Guys, my sources confirm TT-R appearance.
The car will really shine anyway:-)))

But ny heart is with RS5 car that will be the very best sport AWD coupe in the market:-))

KresoF1
June 19th, 2008, 07:47
Maybe Kerso is our voice of reason, but at times the comments which are ever welcome are a tiny bit negative.

I don't know where the info comes from on his behalf but I am 100% sure in my source as everything passed to me has proven to be correct, the RS6 info was exactly spot on the mark and the same was true of the S4 when everyone else thought it was turboed. If he says that the TT/R is coming soon and is going to be truly amazing then I have total faith that this will indeed be the case.

And I am willing to bet with my money. :ttaddict:

Leadie,

Let me remaind you few things about deep throats here:

-remember our discussion about RS6? We were the ONLY people that get the weight and some other things right(with accurate info from our sources). I do not want to repeat how many NOT accurate info about RS6 some deep throats here posted...

-same story is about R8. Changes in last minute about weight and power? Come on! You know that Audi is not 18year old kid garage! R8 was probably the most important project in recent Audi history. Everything was planned very carefully...

-xls file from Slovakia is very accurate. I saw similar document for German market and TTR is on it... Just power info is little bit different. Gearbox and AWD info as well...

I love this web site but, IMO some people here debate a lot about forthcoming models or about car magazine reviews. Speculations... They are good but, sometimes we got little bit too much of them here...

Leadfoot
June 19th, 2008, 07:54
Leadie,

Let me remaind you few things about deep throats here:

-remember our discussion about RS6? We were the ONLY people that get the weight and some other things right(with accurate info from our sources). I do not want to repeat how many NOT accurate info about RS6 some deep throats here posted...

-same story is about R8. Changes in last minute about weight and power? Come on! You know that Audi is not 18year old kid garage! R8 was probably the most important project in recent Audi history. Everything was planned very carefully...

-xls file from Slovakia is very accurate. I saw similar document for German market and TTR is on it... Just power info is little bit different. Gearbox and AWD info as well...

I love this web site but, IMO some people here debate a lot about forthcoming models or about car magazine reviews. Speculations... They are good but, sometimes we got little bit too much of them here...

Can you hold your hand on your heart and tell me that any evidence I have brought is inaccurate. The RS6 was 100% accurate, as has been the little bit I have been given about the S4, the soon to be launched bi-turbo diesel I remarked about over 15months ago, etc, etc. The info I provide is good for one reason, the source it's coming from.

KresoF1
June 19th, 2008, 07:59
Leadie,

Read carefully my response... I was not aiming at you...

You know as I do that most of the info from other members about R8 and RS6 was inaccurate...

Regarding new 3L biturbo diesel... Do you know first car that may receive it? Cayenne D!!! Belive it or not...

HKS786
June 19th, 2008, 09:11
Leadie,

You know as I do that most of the info from other members about R8 and RS6 was inaccurate...

Regarding new 3L biturbo diesel... Do you know first car that may receive it? Cayenne D!!! Belive it or not...

I have to agree with you in some ways. Yes, a lot of people get bad info about upcoming models. Leadie's info seems reliable though and is backed up by the fact we are seeing prototypes around.

My source told me a year ago about quite a lot of sensitive details about the RS6, even right down to the Ur-Quattro wheel arches. He also mentioned the possibility of an RS6 Plus, but it was a small one. Pricing would be a key factor and also how well the market receives the RS6 due to its pricing and rivals.

My source also gave me info of all the new A4 engines before it was published, and other future models. Some of which I agree not to mention anywhere, but I can tell you the TT-R did come up in discussion and it seems that Audi decided a while ago that they would make it.

Leadfoot
June 19th, 2008, 15:12
Leadie,

I hadn't heard that but to be perfectly honest I am only interesting in future Audis and not other brands which might fall under the VAG banner.

I do have a pretty good idea as to how much power the engine will be capable of and the most lightly output it will receive in the big Cayenne. ;)

Leadfoot
June 19th, 2008, 15:54
Oh, I forgot to post what I thought the Cayenne Bi-turbo Diesel's output would be.

Here goes 310hp and 580Nm and by the way please don't shot me down as this is only a guess with no prior knowledge.

The Pretender
June 19th, 2008, 18:37
torsen? really?
Yes with a longitudinal mounted R5 2.5 TFSI. ;)

Jarod.

KresoF1
June 19th, 2008, 19:03
Yes with a longitudinal mounted R5 2.5 TFSI. ;)

Jarod.

So, according to this rumor that you posted Audi(or quattro Gmbh) will build totally new car since none of the current TT models use longitudinally mounted engines. Neither they use usual Torsen based AWD but, Haldex based one.

Let's wait and see if your info is accurate or false...

The Pretender
June 19th, 2008, 19:10
So, according to this rumor that you posted Audi(or quattro Gmbh) will build totally new car since none of the current TT models use longitudinally mounted engines. Neither they use usual Torsen based AWD but, Haldex based one.

Let's wait and see if your info is accurate or false...
It's not my info but something i came across on the UK TT Forum.
I don't think a R5 2.5 TFSI engine will fit longitudinal under the TT bonnet. :vhmmm:
I like the idea of it though.

Jarod.

ZeroCool
June 19th, 2008, 21:43
AFAIK the Engine will be fit transversal - because of not enough space they'll use the Clubsport Body which is 8cm wider ;)

KresoF1
June 19th, 2008, 22:08
AFAIK the Engine will be fit transversal - because of not enough space they'll use the Clubsport Body which is 8cm wider ;)

So, TTR will be 1922mm wide?! Hmm...:vhmmm:

ZeroCool
June 19th, 2008, 23:05
@Kreso...

I don't know exactly how wide the TT is - and if i'm honest i'm to lazy to look at the AUDI-Page :)

But you sure have searched for it - and so i trust in your 1922mm...

IMO that's the only reason why they presented the wider body? Why else? The Clubsport has an 2.0TFSI - for this engine they don't need a wider body...we'll see ;)

Leadfoot
June 19th, 2008, 23:09
Listen I have told you what is to happen, the TT/R(S) will be launched in 2009 (no exact date) and it will be extremely impressive compared to normal TTs and every other RS model which has come before it (with the possible exception of the R8). How this is going to be achieved is up for debate but be in no doubt it is happening and is will be this good.

I can't comment on engine output or bodywork as I don't know. ;)

The Pretender
June 20th, 2008, 19:06
I can't comment on engine and bodywork because i know. ;)

Jarod.

SigmaS6
June 20th, 2008, 20:53
That's wishful thinking and the DQ500 :)

The dry versions of the DSG are only suitable for extremely low torque and the transversal version of the DL500 has been on the Audi roadmap for roughly 1.5 years now, so it's only a matter of when it will be available, not if at all. And what car would profit more from it than the TT-RS?

Remember me again when Paris is. ;)
I'm sure we'll hear more voices claiming that once September comes closer, but I'm still not sure they'll make it till then. Would love to see it, but doubt it. Or are we talking about Paris in 2009? I hope not :)

IMO that's the only reason why they presented the wider body? Why else? The Clubsport has an 2.0TFSI - for this engine they don't need a wider body...we'll see ;)
Is the clubsport really wider, I mean frame-wise, not measured by the more extensive body kit (which wouldn't be too helpful in the engine department :))?

ZeroCool
June 20th, 2008, 23:18
@SigmaS6 ...

Yes, it is...

20-inch wheels with tyres of size 265/30 R20 emphasise the car's muscular appearance, as does its track width which has been increased by a total of 80 millimetres compared with a production TT. Not only that, but the wheel arches have also been enlarged additionally.

Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/2070516.005/audi-tt-clubsport-quattro-revealed

The Pretender
June 24th, 2008, 09:21
9x20" wheels with 265/30R20" tyres :thumb: on a TT.

Jarod.

The RS6
June 25th, 2008, 08:31

3-liter Audi diesel confirmed for Porsche Cayenne

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/06/porsche-audi-tdi.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/23/3-liter-audi-diesel-confirmed-for-porsche-cayenne/

These guys are saying it's gonna be the 240Hp version which is already out...maybe they don't know about the TTDI...?

The Pretender
June 29th, 2008, 13:33
I think it's a 3.6 Quattro, no ceramic brake's.

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-01-05/photo/1404920/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-01-05/photo/1404920/7276.html?enlarge=true)

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-02-05/photo/1404926/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-02-05/photo/1404926/7276.html?enlarge=true)

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-03-05/photo/1404934/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-03-05/photo/1404934/7276.html?enlarge=true)

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-04-05/photo/1404938/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-04-05/photo/1404938/7276.html?enlarge=true)

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-05-05/photo/1404940/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-05-05/photo/1404940/7276.html?enlarge=true)

Jarod.

SigmaS6
June 29th, 2008, 13:47
If it's a normal TT, why does it have a plate from the quattro gmbh? ;) I'd guess a 3.6l engine would be replacing the 3.2 and therefore be part of the normal Audi lineup. Plus, they have to make tests without the ceramic discs, I doubt they'll be standard.

The Pretender
June 29th, 2008, 13:52
If it's a normal TT, why does it have a plate from the quattro gmbh? ;) I'd guess a 3.6l engine would be replacing the 3.2 and therefore be part of the normal Audi lineup. Plus, they have to make tests without the ceramic discs, I doubt they'll be standard.
Yes they do non ceramic brake tests, but with the RS4 8-pot brakes.
These are normal 3.2 brakes, not the best brakes for sporty use.

Jarod.

SigmaS6
June 29th, 2008, 13:56
Hm, then it's a strange combination indeed, RS exhaust, quattro plates and 3.2 brakes...

Kliko61
June 29th, 2008, 14:06
I think it's a 3.6 Quattro, no ceramic brake's.

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-01-05/photo/1404920/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-01-05/photo/1404920/7276.html?enlarge=true)

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-02-05/photo/1404926/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-02-05/photo/1404926/7276.html?enlarge=true)

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-03-05/photo/1404934/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-03-05/photo/1404934/7276.html?enlarge=true)

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-04-05/photo/1404938/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-04-05/photo/1404938/7276.html?enlarge=true)

http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-05-05/photo/1404940/7276.html (http://tribes.cartribe.co.uk/kickapps/_Audi-TT-RS-05-05/photo/1404940/7276.html?enlarge=true)

Jarod.

does this mean that there won' t be a TT RS with 5 cilinders? or is it just a TT with the 3.6 that is less powered than the TT RS?

The Pretender
June 29th, 2008, 14:38
does this mean that there won' t be a TT RS with 5 cilinders? or is it just a TT with the 3.6 that is less powered than the TT RS?
The RS will still be a R5T with some 350-380 hp.
The 3.6 will be a replacemant for the 3.2.

Jarod.

Kliko61
June 29th, 2008, 17:34
The RS will still be a R5T with some 350-380 hp.
The 3.6 will be a replacemant for the 3.2.

Jarod.

thanks, that's nice to hear.So the sound of the 5 cilinders will return!:wo:

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2008, 19:58
The best guess anyone can make is the the new line up will go something like this.

TTD -170hp and 204hp in the future
TT2.0TFSi - 220hp soon
TTS - 272hp
TT3.6 - 300hp
TTRS - 350hp

I wondering if the TT3.6L will be kept for the US market instead of the TTS? Is it known yet if the TT/S will be going to the States?

The Pretender
June 29th, 2008, 20:47
I wondering if the TT3.6L will be kept for the US market instead of the TTS?
I hope not, like the looks of the TTS but not the engine.
I would choose a 3.6 Quattro over the TTS 24/7.
Maybe Quattro GmbH is doing the suspension fine tuning on the 3.6.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2008, 22:30
I hope not, like the looks of the TTS but not the engine.
I would choose a 3.6 Quattro over the TTS 24/7.
Maybe Quattro GmbH is doing the suspension fine tuning on the 3.6.

Jarod.

With Quattro's involvement it does bear weight on this new version being quite a machine.

The Pretender
June 30th, 2008, 20:18
New mega cool movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IOcFeFBbg

Jarod.

Kliko61
June 30th, 2008, 20:42
@Jarod

This is one great video!Awesome engine, and a super sound, just like the old 5-cilinder days:D,

Man, I can't wait for the first official TT RS.......

Leadfoot
June 30th, 2008, 21:37
Jarod,

As always you are the man. :bow:

Love the video, classic 5 cylinder warble, a meatiness that sounds bigger than the suspected capacity suggested which is another classic audi 5 cyl characteristic. Love it.

This thing seems to be very level in it's cornering manner and it looks to be coping with the mid-corner bumps very well. Quattro have definitely sprinkled their magic dust all over it.

This little car can't come soon enough for me. :love2:

SigmaS6
June 30th, 2008, 21:46
Atm I assume Audi will make a good choice and come up with a competitive concept, if what we see here will be the version they'll choose. I already start to dislike Audi for indirectly demonstrating that car over and over again without actually selling it yet :)

I assume they want to give the TTS more time to sell before they bring out the real deal, a strategy which I truly despise ;)

Leadfoot
June 30th, 2008, 21:53
The TT/RS will be out next year, this is a done deal according to my friend. Waiting is good, it builds up the anticipation and excitement.

Rage
June 30th, 2008, 22:37
Sounds good.

Anyone notice the lotus 'eagle' testing in in trail?

itisme
July 1st, 2008, 10:33
seems to be a really great machine that TT/RS...

Sounds good.

Anyone notice the lotus 'eagle' testing in in trail?

yeah, was wondering what is tested in camouflage behind the TT... I do think it's the Lotus, too...

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 13:16
seems to be a really great machine that TT/RS....
Yes it moves like hell.

Jarod.

RXBG
July 2nd, 2008, 14:17
The best guess anyone can make is the the new line up will go something like this.

TTD -170hp and 204hp in the future
TT2.0TFSi - 220hp soon
TTS - 272hp
TT3.6 - 300hp
TTRS - 350hp

I wondering if the TT3.6L will be kept for the US market instead of the TTS? Is it known yet if the TT/S will be going to the States?

yes. the TTS will be coming to the states this november.

i don't see an uplevel regular TT making more hp than the S version. audi screwed up. i keep saying it. they got it right with the original TT. a 180 hp and HO 225 hp of the same car. then came the 3.2.

they should have kept the same formula this time around also. a base 220 hp. then an uplevel 272 hp. and then a 310 hp TTS. finally a 360 hp TT RS.

Rage
July 2nd, 2008, 14:20
yes. the TTS will be coming to the states this november.

i don't see an uplevel regular TT making more hp than the S version. audi screwed up. i keep saying it. they got it right with the original TT. a 180 hp and HO 225 hp of the same car. then came the 3.2.

they should have kept the same formula this time around also. a base 220 hp. then an uplevel 272 hp. and then a 310 hp TTS. finally a 360 hp TT RS.

+1

Still underwhelmed with the TTS. Hopefully the TTRS will make amends.

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 14:34
I like the looks of the TTS very much but the engine is a turn down.
I would like it much better if they had put in a 300+ hp 3.6 VR6 FSI engine.

But i don't care, just bring on the TT RS with 350-380 hp R5T engine.

Jarod.

RXBG
July 2nd, 2008, 14:38
that is a quick little car. gonna be a lot of fun in the sack. DSG too. its obvious.

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 15:20
that is a quick little car. gonna be a lot of fun in the sack. DSG too. its obvious.
This Black TT RS testmule have a manual gearbox, and i start to doubt we will see a DSG @ the introduction of it.
If Audi not bother to put a DSG in the R8 why should they do it for the TT RS.
All other transverse cars are doing just fine with the DSG's that are in use now.
There are two options IMHO, or we get (more then fine by me) a TT RS manual only, or we get a restrickted R5T engine with 350 Nm of torque to cope with the gearbox.
Or in the worsted case scenario a very pricy TT RS DSG Quattro.
Don't give a sh#t about DSG to be honnest, real drivers use tree pedals.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
July 2nd, 2008, 15:37
This Black TT RS testmule have a manual gearbox, and i start to doubt we will see a DSG @ the introduction of it.
All other transverse cars are doing just fine with the DSG's that are in use now.
There are two options IMHO, or we get (more then fine by me) a TT RS manual only, or we get a restrickted R5T engine with 350 Nm of torque to cope with the gearbox.

Jarod.

What is the possibility that Audi upgrade the current DSG to cope with a bit more torque, it's been done by some tuning houses with their twin-turbo R32s.

I personally think to not have a semi-auto in one form or another would be a mistake, the market is moving towards SMG or DCT gearboxes as the preferred choice for sportscars, Audi need this with the TT/RS, the stock range has it and the same is expected for the top of the range.

I can live with a £43K TT/RS as long as it delivers on all fronts and according to mine source inside Quattro is will.

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 16:03
Audi is no tuning company.
The DSG gearboxes need to be able of doing 150.000 Km + without problems.
I don't know upgrading them is a good idea, the strongest part is the weakest link.
The problem are the dry clutches of the 350 Nm DSG box, that's why the new 7-speed transverse FWD DSG have wet clutches, but that gearbox can only handle 250 Nm of torque.

btw, even the Nissan GT-R gearbox have problems with to much power.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
July 2nd, 2008, 16:21
Audi is no tuning company.
The DSG gearboxes need to be able of doing 150.000 Km + without problems.
I don't know upgrading them is a good idea, the strongest part is the weakest link.
The problem are the dry clutches of the 350 Nm DSG box, that's why the new 7-speed transverse FWD DSG have wet clutches, but that gearbox can only handle 250 Nm of torque.

btw, even the Nissan GT-R gearbox have problems with to much power.

Jarod.

We know VAG is working on a hi-powered S/Tronic in both transverse and the traditional layout, the latter is near ready for release with the Q5 but the other has to be well under way as well.

256ft/lbs is too restricting for modern awd cars, even TT and A3 sized cars, in the future a minimum of 320ft/lbs is required.

SigmaS6
July 2nd, 2008, 19:18
This Black TT RS testmule have a manual gearbox
I was quite shocked to hear that in the video, but I hope they just test it as it's an option (especially the US is a country where every normal car is automatic and manual is considered european and sporty, so they want that, no matter what).

and i start to doubt we will see a DSG @ the introduction of it.
Which would be a shame imo, if they plan to offer the DQ500 at one point the perfect car to release it with will be the TT-RS. For me it's an essential benefit of Audi that they have a DSG. Releasing a new model without it would be a sign of technical incapability to me. Might sound harsh, but let's face it, if they can make it in time they will offer it, if they don't offer it they failed to stick to their plans.

Same as with the S5, the platform was just old and the DSG came from VW, so it started in the value models and had to be adopted to the interesting ones. And if you look at the benefits e.g. in the Nissan GT-R you see why it makes perfect sense to have it ;)

or we get a restrickted R5T engine with 350 Nm of torque to cope with the gearbox.
That limit already affects the current TTS, there's no way the RS could reuse that box without getting declassed.

I prefer a great car with optimum accessories over a cheap price. Otherwise you get another TTS where the price optimization was obviously a target, which is why people keep complaining about all the compromises. I hope the RS wont suffer the same fate.

I don't care about real driving as long as the DSG is faster :)

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 20:13
I don't care about real driving as long as the DSG is faster :)
That is very nice but what pro's do i have in every day traffic with it, i probably put it in auto mode and crawl along in traffic.

jarod.

SigmaS6
July 2nd, 2008, 20:21
But what exactly do you like about a manual in dense traffic? Imo stop-and-go is the other extreme where the DSG is undefeated :)

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 21:21
But what exactly do you like about a manual in dense traffic? Imo stop-and-go is the other extreme where the DSG is undefeated :)
Dense traffic is auto box territory with out a doubt, a manual is a nightmare in dense traffic.

Jarod.

The Pretender
July 9th, 2008, 21:22
The more i listen to the movie the more i get confinced that there is a V5 under the bonnet of this Black TT-S mule and NOT a inline 5.

Here a V5 movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPm44ocI-s

Jarod.

SigmaS6
July 9th, 2008, 21:33
But would that make sense? Was there ever a great engine alive which was a V5? I always thought that the idea of putting 5 cylinders and one counterweight in a V-shaped engine was a rather stupid idea, probably invented by someone who was one cylinder short of a real V6 but still had plenty of scrap metal lying around :D

edit: Btw, you probably read the news as well that the TTS should already have, according to an Audi support person, a Haldex4 system installed. Quite a surprise if true, huh? At least I didn't see that coming, though it was TT-RS territory :)

Leadfoot
July 10th, 2008, 08:11
edit: Btw, you probably read the news as well that the TTS should already have, according to an Audi support person, a Haldex4 system installed. Quite a surprise if true, huh? At least I didn't see that coming, though it was TT-RS territory :)

TT/RS will also give Haldex XWD but will be configured differently with much quicker reactions. It's still not sure if S/Tronic will make it to launch which would be a shame but then delaying the car until it's ready would be a bigger shame.

One thing I will say and keep saying is that according to sources the TT/R is everyones darling, the sweetie among the range, a pure driver's tool in the truest sense. ;)

trick
July 10th, 2008, 13:32
As if by magic ...

http://www.audiblog.nl/?p=2375 (Dutch)

Something about a leaked press release mentioning a 308bhp VR5 in the TT/R.

That would explain the 272 in the TTS (when 300/310 is easily achievable).

RXBG
July 10th, 2008, 14:00
doubt anything less than 350 hp in the TTR

Leadfoot
July 10th, 2008, 14:15
As if by magic ...

The common belief is that when the TT/S gets the EA888 engine the output will increase by roughly 20~30hp to keep it's distance with the lesser model which will also receive the same engine. For the TT/R to be placed only 10~20hp above that is not possible and would for many be classed as a no-goer even if in every other discipline it was great. RS models have to command a certain performance gap between their lesser S models and 308hp would not cut it.

The reality is that anything less than 340+hp would be a waste of both Audi and Quattro's development time. The car has to compete with rivals which have a lot more power than 308hp, that is the bare facts of the matter.

rs-6
July 10th, 2008, 14:48
As if by magic ...

hans is the pretender :)

SigmaS6
July 10th, 2008, 19:38
It's still not sure if S/Tronic will make it to launch which would be a shame but then delaying the car until it's ready would be a bigger shame.
For me delaying the DSG would be the equivalent of delaying the release. Call me picky, but if I spend RS-money I don't want a car that's missing a feature that is available in the golf since 2002. Anyway, let's see if they really fail in that matter, as there's still plenty of time to get their plans straightened.

Leadfoot
July 11th, 2008, 12:08
I agree that I would prefer a DSG gearbox connected to my TT/R but having to accept a manual wouldn't stop me buying it and there is many out there which would prefer it that way anyway, like Jarod.

The most important thing in my opinion is it being built and with a decent performance increase over the TT/S, if it couldn't compete with the Z4M on the performance front then the gearbox would be the least of my concerns.

The Pretender
July 11th, 2008, 18:52
But would that make sense? Was there ever a great engine alive which was a V5? I always thought that the idea of putting 5 cylinders and one counterweight in a V-shaped engine was a rather stupid idea, probably invented by someone who was one cylinder short of a real V6 but still had plenty of scrap metal lying around :D
I think a V5 engine make a lot more sense then a inline 5.
A V5 is as compact as a R4, and when based on the 10.6 degree 3.2/3.6 VR6 FSI it can be a good engine with 2.3-3.0 litre volume depending on the used bore and stroke.
Further is it compact enough to fit in all transverse Audi's, VW's, Seat's and Skoda's.
A inline 5 will do not.

Jarod.