June 17th, 2008, 11:45
http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=grdfp&preview=1&_x=1#/page6/

See page 7 and onwards for a lot interesting details and videos. :brag:

Leadfoot
June 17th, 2008, 19:54
Great find Erik, thanks.

Erik
June 17th, 2008, 20:26
But why, oh why, did they chose the gear changing as Audi? Totally wrong, and the "paddles" on the steering wheel. Big no no.

Look at Ruf...

http://www.autotuning.no/sitefiles/site4024/shop/4553_97.jpg

AndyBG
June 17th, 2008, 21:38
Why did you said 998, it is 997 facelift...

Yes, it is suprise for me to see the ''buttons'' style gear box commands..., +/- schould be reversed too..., everything else is perfect!!! :D

KresoF1
June 18th, 2008, 10:14
BTW, did you heard about Ring time?

7.50min for 997.2S with SPASM, PDK and Michelin Cups...

Leadfoot
June 18th, 2008, 12:11
Is Michelin Cup tyres standard on the new 997?

KresoF1
June 18th, 2008, 13:41
Is Michelin Cup tyres standard on the new 997?

No they are not. BUT, neither are Pirelli Corsas on R8.

New 997.2 Carrera S with PDK and SPASM is faster around Ring then R8 with Magnetic Ride. No matter about tires... One Audi source confirmed that.

Now-question is why? First PDK, it is much better and more advanced gearbox then R8 manual or R Tronic. Second, SPASM suspension is tuned by W.Rohrl on the Ring...

It doesn't mean that R8 is less desirable or bad car. R8 is still the king for many Audi fans...

Just... Gearbox problem will remain even with R8 V10 version... And we all know that NO S(or RS) Tronic on R8...

artur777
June 18th, 2008, 15:57
Then 997.2 4S will be about 7-45 at the Ring????
Near 911 Turbo time!!!!!!

KresoF1
June 18th, 2008, 16:06
I will correct myself little bit...

R8 with Magnetic Ride, Caramics and Corsas is about as fast on the Ring as 997.2S with SPASM, PDK, PCCBs and Cups. Difference is within 1s according to really reliable AUDI source...

So, no worries guys R8 is still the king.

artur777
June 18th, 2008, 19:42
I am sure that 997.2S will be a little bit faster at the Ring than R8

Leadfoot
June 18th, 2008, 21:57
The new 997S is sounding like a much better handling machine than the one it replaces. The gearbox will surely help it make up seconds here and there on the ring and the tyres will also play their part, but whether on a normal track it will match or better the R8's times will be interesting to see. We all know why the R8's time on the ring isn't as good as it could have been, namely drag due to poor aerodynamics but on tracks where top speed is less important the R8's chassis balance shines through.

The new 997 might have improved in every area but it still doesn't look or sound as special as an R8 does, meaning one looks exotic and the other just looks like a 911.

Sorry to those with one on order.

artur777
June 18th, 2008, 23:11
In my opinion, 997.2S will be very close to preface-lifted 911 Turbo in case of performance.
It will be a bit slower but better transmission and suspension will help to corner better.

Leadfoot
June 19th, 2008, 15:23
In my opinion, 997.2S will be very close to preface-lifted 911 Turbo in case of performance.
It will be a bit slower but better transmission and suspension will help to corner better.

That would be very impressive if true. I had started to read some of the reviews on the new transmission and what's being said is that it's every more impressive than the Ferrari F1 from the Scub and the BMW M-DKG, especially on down-shifts. This was always a possible of the 911's layout where braking while shifting would easily upset the chassis and could be one of the main reasons for the dramatic improvement in it's lap time.

I wish I could get the opportunity to try it out first hand.

OfftheHeZie
June 21st, 2008, 02:42
Awsome. Thanks for this post. Informing and entertaining read.

~Mason

PeterJohn
June 22nd, 2008, 08:21
I don't see the problem with the operation of the gearbox. It's not like the button are on the ceiling.

I can see it encourages a correct position of the hands on the steering wheel, and allows the hands to keep a good grip on the wheel, even when your digits are doing the shifting.

Porsche keeps the key slot for the ignition on the left hand side of the steering wheel, because back in the old days racing drivers had to start a race on foot, run across the road, jump in their car and start it. Having the ignition on the left kept the right hand free to pre-select 1st gear. In the choas of the starting grid, those precious milliseconds saved could make you the leader through the first corner, and win you a race.
Personally, I love those little details. The -/+ operation is a preference of Walter Rohl, and one of those details. It may take a little getting used to, but 20 years from now, providing the society still exists, it will be automotive trivia that you can bore women with.

BTW, I've seen many sequential boxes that have a -/+ selection like that. In fact, I think that's how most of them operate. Don't ask me why they do it that way, but I'll take Walter Rohls' preference over the "guy with journalism degree"s' preference. Look up some rally videos, and you'll see they the majority of the secuential levers works this way.

Perhaps the excentric movement of pushing through the gears saves time, while the more awkward concentric movement of pulling down the gears happens during braking, when time is less of a factor.

Leadfoot
June 22nd, 2008, 09:36
I did spent time with a 996 C4 tip-tronic a few years ago and I can tell you that for a person with little or no experience of owning an automatic I didn't find the setup that easy to get use to. It's the opposite to how the mind works, or my mind at least. My Q7's shifter was the exact same and I hated it.

Walter Rohl may be one of the greatest rally drivers of all time but on this occasion I am in agreement with Mr Harris.

KresoF1
June 24th, 2008, 17:43
Carrera 4 models will be intrduced tomorrow...
http://www.autozeitung.de/online/bildDB/122170_700.jpg

artur777
June 24th, 2008, 18:06
KresoF1, what are the figures for 4S 0-200?