PDA

View Full Version : "DoctorD" on the Audi RS6 Avant

Erik
June 12th, 2008, 20:34
Got this from another forum, but it's pretty interesting so here we go:

"You're going to find the outcome slightly puzzling, as we did.

We drove them side by side in a drag race along the Hangar straight, and then Chris lapped them for an out lap and a flying lap on the full Silverstone GP circuit.

I discovered that the RS6 has the same torque-limiting profile built into its engine map as the RS4, despite turning off all traction and stability controls it will not launch hard in first gear. There's no doubt that once it gets going, the RS6 is a monster, but a few owners may be a little dissapointed by its initial performance at the traffic lights.

I took it for a 30 mile drive this morning, and managed 8mpg.... but that soon settled back to 18mpg+ once I had reset the trip and was driving more sensibly.

Anyone who has driven an M5, would find the RS6 so much better to drive in a straight line. It's got the sledgehammer torque of an E55 AMG, with the top-end wail of a V10. It doesn't feel turbocharged, more like a 7 litre V10, and accelerating hard becomes utterly addictive. :rs6kiss:

There's a great party piece in the RS6 of just accelerating to 4500 rpm in each gear and flipping the gear paddles, the changes are instantaneous and when each gear is changed there is a lovely 'woofle' noise that arises from the oval rear pipes. It's like the best playstation game ever. :incar:

It's a great engine and drivetrain, but I can't help feeling it NEEDS to be fitted to an R8 or something lighter. The RS6 is just too heavy. Under braking it squirrels left and right and the anchors try to contain all that mass, turning into corners is again a fight to contain the masses even though the basic chassis is well balanced.

However, despite approaching the RS6 as an irrelevance I came away seeing it as 'more' relevant than an M5, and just a very indulgent everyday car.

So, you'll be surprised at some of the figures we measured but I won't tell you which way around they were... " :hahahehe:

Ruergard
June 12th, 2008, 20:47
The beast strikes again.. :addict: