PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter!?!

campetre
June 10th, 2008, 13:24
Newbie to the site,

Well, I bought an RS6 this weekend, exhilirating! But the dealership warned me that the torque converter was damaged and will be replaced once I purchase the car with the external warranty.

What causes a torque converter to go wrong? Is there anything else to be looking for??

Rage
June 10th, 2008, 13:53
External warranty???

Why cant they repair it before you buy it. External warranty companies are an absolute pain to deal with and are not worth the money theyre written on at least here in the UK. I have first hand experience of this in the UK with my girlfriends Mini Cooper.

ringtaxi
June 10th, 2008, 14:36
If you purchased from an Audi dealer make sure it is certified. If it has passed the mile marker for Audi certification make sure the external warranty company covers the Torque Converter (common problem in A6/S6/RS6) model line. Some companies do not cover the torque converter. I have had personal experience with this. It is around $4,000 expense +- ($500). Have the dealer service advisor talk to the warranty rep himself.

Good Luck

gjg
June 10th, 2008, 14:52
Newbie to the site,

Well, I bought an RS6 this weekend, exhilirating! But the dealership warned me that the torque converter was damaged and will be replaced once I purchase the car with the external warranty.

What causes a torque converter to go wrong? Is there anything else to be looking for??

is the gearbox slipping under full throttle in low gears?

campetre
June 10th, 2008, 15:06
No, there is no slipping, just under high rev, the vehicle stalls and has no or little acceleration.

DuckWingDuck
June 10th, 2008, 16:29
for me, I wouldn't buy the car unless...

1. guarantee in writing that extended warranty will cover the transmission swap;
2. HEAVILY and I mean heavily discounted, after all, if the dealership is disclosing the torque converter problem, what other problem could there be?

You have to remember that this is a very high strung and temperamental car, just talk to Hy Octane. Hell, my own car's still in the dealership at the moment.

gjg
June 10th, 2008, 17:40
No, there is no slipping, just under high rev, the vehicle stalls and has no or little acceleration.

that does not sound like torque convertor - if I'm not mistaken around 3k rpm the gearbox is running "direct" w/o torqconv :idea:

I would not buy the car unless this is either fixed or they will sing in blood that insurance will pay for the repair w/o limit