PDA

View Full Version : TT-R tuning potential.

The Pretender
June 8th, 2008, 15:23
Based on the 380 hp MTM get out of the S3 engine, what will be possible with the same upgrade for the upcoming 5 cylinder TFSI engine.
I rekon 435-475 must be possible. ?

Based on the 408/480 hp Wimmer-rst get out of the S3 engine, i rekon 550-600 hp must be possible.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
June 8th, 2008, 15:42
Are you sure you aren't getting ahead of yourself, after all the car isn't even here yet.

The Pretender
June 8th, 2008, 15:52
Are you sure you aren't getting ahead of yourself, after all the car isn't even here yet.
Just thinking ahead mate. ;)

Jarod.

Leadfoot
June 8th, 2008, 15:58
Just thinking ahead mate. ;)

Jarod.

Love your style. :thumb:

P.S.
I wonder will Audi bring out a performance pack, like was hinted to me all those months and months ago for the TT/S and if it does materialise then will there be a chance of seeing something similar in the TT/R, maybe a 50hp increase.

:doh: Oh God, I'm starting sound like you and jumping the gun. :lovl:

KresoF1
June 9th, 2008, 06:57
Nice speculation guys. BUT, nothing more then that...

ZeroCool
June 9th, 2008, 08:11
what do you think is speculation @kreso?

the tuning potential or the tt-r engine itself?

KresoF1
June 9th, 2008, 09:56
what do you think is speculation @kreso?

the tuning potential or the tt-r engine itself?

Few questions for you:

How big are the chances for TTR to enter production?

Is there a capacity in NSU for production of additional model(since R8, R8 V10, RS6, RS6 Avant and Q7 V12 TDI are produced in NSU as quattro Gmbh models)?

If we see TTR with 350hp R5 TFSI at all will be a nice supriese...

Qisha
June 9th, 2008, 11:30
Is there a capacity in NSU for production of additional model(since R8, R8 V10, RS6, RS6 Avant and Q7 V12 TDI are produced in NSU as quattro Gmbh models)?

What if further RS Cars are not produced in Neckarsulm only- but in every Model specific Plant? ;)

Qisha

KresoF1
June 9th, 2008, 12:29
So, your suggestion is that TTR will be build in Gyor?

OK...

Leadfoot
June 9th, 2008, 14:29
I suggested this possibility some time ago. The only real need for QuattroGmbH is to do the development work and possible fine tuning the last sign off. Long term I believe Audi will expand the factory to accommodate more models.

ZeroCool
June 9th, 2008, 18:34
@Kreso...

IMO the chance that the TT-R enters production is near 100% ;)
as Qisha said, Quattro GmbH is not sleeping - and they're also thinking about how to build more cars and expand ;)

It can be Györ, it can be Ingolstadt or somewhere else ;)

Just let's wait and drink some coffee ;)

KresoF1
June 9th, 2008, 18:43
@Kreso...

IMO the chance that the TT-R enters production is near 100% ;)
as Qisha said, Quattro GmbH is not sleeping - and they're also thinking about how to build more cars and expand ;)

It can be Györ, it can be Ingolstadt or somewhere else ;)

Just let's wait and drink some coffee ;)

Let's hope that you are right and that Qisha is right...;)

I just remember all not accurate info about R8(weight-remember story about 1400kg? ; Hp-more then 440hp...) from various sources here...;)

I spoke direclty with somebody that works pretty high in NSU and he told me that chances for TTR production are "..in best case 50/50."...

ZeroCool
June 9th, 2008, 19:13
not accurate info? from me? i ever said 386kW for the R8 ... nothing else...

but ok ;) let's wait and see *g*

Leadfoot
June 9th, 2008, 20:00
Let's hope that you are right and that Qisha is right...;)

I just remember all not accurate info about R8(weight-remember story about 1400kg? ; Hp-more then 440hp...) from various sources here...;)

I don't think Qisha needs defending because I know how much thing change between development stages and the finished product. The weight I remember talk about less than 1500kgs but never as low as 1400kgs and the power figures may be closer to 440hp than the quoted 420hp that early examples had.

Personally I don't see the big deal in both figures, it's not a deal breaker for most people. The way the car drives and performs is the most important thing and on both fronts the R8 excels.

I spoke direclty with somebody that works pretty high in NSU and he told me that chances for TTR production are "..in best case 50/50."...

The only reason for the TT/R not making it to production will be Porsche's influence and nothing more. The TT/R is according to my source better any any current Cayman and the reason for Porsche's move to a possible Cayman Turbo.

You may have friends in high places but I can tell you that there are others who equally have friends in equally high places and as of yet no words have come dismissing the possibility of the TT/R. But if I personally hear word that says you are right then I will be posting it ASAP.

Hopefully I won't be making that call.

KresoF1
June 9th, 2008, 20:15
The only reason for the TT/R not making it to production will be Porsche's influence and nothing more. The TT/R is according to my source better any any current Cayman and the reason for Porsche's move to a possible Cayman Turbo.

Leadie,

First, I did not talked about Qisha in R8 case but, about too high expectation in general... Qisha's info was pretty good in most cases...

Regarding TTR I quoted you since in your quote is the answer to TTR future...

About TTR been amazing... Sorry to say this but, car with Haldex can not be good as true mid-engine sportscar a la R8 or Cayman. That is my personal opinion...

Just as DSG type transmission will never be as involving as true manual-that is also my personal opinion...

The Pretender
June 9th, 2008, 21:18
Why should Porsche block the TT-R, introducing a Cayman S DFI or turbo with more power will do the trick.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
June 9th, 2008, 21:51
Why should Porsche block the TT-R, introducing a Cayman S DFI or turbo with more power will do the trick.

Jarod.

OK, where do we start.

If Porsche don't block the TT/R then it will need something pretty special for the Cayman, unlike Kerso I believe many people rate the TT as a well balanced car in current TT/S form. You have a car that grips as well as a Cayman, is quicker than the basic car and isn't far behind the quickest one but has better drive-ability and will cover ground off the track quicker than a Cayman as well. Hand this over to QuattroGmbH and let them sprinkle it's magic over it with a beefed up engine (with an engine note), alter it's handling balance from safety to racy, tweak the steering and brakes and some additional weight balancing and you will have a car that WILL walk all over the current Cayman S regardless if it's using Haldex or not.

So what does Porsche do, well clearly they up the ante with the Cayman, give it more power (330hp) and better handling with the intro of a LSD. Great but now the normal 911 is starting to look very expensive in comparison and that is where Porsche make the big bucks.

You might say that the customer for a Porsche wouldn't pick an Audi TT. May be but I doubt Porsche would want to that the chance if they have the option. We already know what the R8 has done to Porsche's ego and a TT doing the same might be a step to far. Until we see how Audi might price a TT/R we will not know if it going to affect the Cayman sales or not. Price it dear (£44K) and it will have less of an affect, price it cheap (£39K) and it might steal some sales, maybe enough to make Porsche move it's position on where the Cayman finishes and the 911 starts.

Rage
June 9th, 2008, 21:55
To all of the above ^^

The Cayman excels because it is pure driving pleasure. As a 'Driver Package' it is unbeatable. It doesnt have the most power, the best brakes, the least weight or even the best feedback. But it does all of the above at 90% of the cars that individually best each category. For that reason its a fantastic package despite Porsches non-exuberance with its development.

For the TTR to pose a challenge to the Cayman S it must deliver more than just HP. Others have tried that and failed (Z4M/350Z even M3 in some group tests)

I want the TTR to make me smile when I drive it. Perhaps its just me that is getting tired of sterile yet competent autobahn cruisers.

Leadfoot
June 9th, 2008, 22:11
To all of the above ^^

The Cayman excels because it is pure driving pleasure. As a 'Driver Package' it is unbeatable. It doesnt have the most power, the best brakes, the least weight or even the best feedback. But it does all of the above at 90% of the cars that individually best each category. For that reason its a fantastic package despite Porsches non-exuberance with its development.

For the TTR to pose a challenge to the Cayman S it must deliver more than just HP. Others have tried that and failed (Z4M/350Z even M3 in some group tests)

I want the TTR to make me smile when I drive it. Perhaps its just me that is getting tired of sterile yet competent autobahn cruisers.

Having owned two Boxsters I know how good the cars are but personally I turned my back on them for two reasons, they are very tiring on long motorway journeys and the steering is too lively for the roads I live on, these is two areas that I prefer Audi's approach.

The Z4M can't compete because it's even more extreme than the Porsche, the Z350 can't compete because it's a Nissan and the M3 is a totally different product and is competing for a totally different market. If you find the RS4 boring then chances are you won't like the TT/R either, even though it will feel a lot more lively it not going to be a R8. It is after all an Audi and they aren't going to drop their values.

Rage
June 10th, 2008, 00:00
Having owned two Boxsters I know how good the cars are but personally I turned my back on them for two reasons, they are very tiring on long motorway journeys and the steering is too lively for the roads I live on, these is two areas that I prefer Audi's approach.

The Z4M can't compete because it's even more extreme than the Porsche, the Z350 can't compete because it's a Nissan and the M3 is a totally different product and is competing for a totally different market. If you find the RS4 boring then chances are you won't like the TT/R either, even though it will feel a lot more lively it not going to be a R8. It is after all an Audi and they aren't going to drop their values.

Horses for courses. I relish steering feedback. Ive never driven the RS4 but I dont think id find it any more boring than the M3 for example.

All the points that make the Cayman so great directly apply to the R8. Its the Jack of all trades and in an parallel universe would have been the great 911 successor. An everyday supercar despite not having a trump card in any discipline except overall fantastic driveability.

My point is just HP and tuning potential will not make a cayman killer of the TTR. In essence it needs some R8 DNA.

Now back to waiting on news for the cars on my hitlist (RS5/TTR/CS mk.II/Z4M mk.II) :idea:

Leadfoot
June 10th, 2008, 00:14
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">The one thing that sticks in my mind is the statement a month of so ago from my good friend that said the TT/R will be something very special among RS models. That statement leads me to believe that it's better than any RS model which has come before it. Does this include the R8, personally I doubt it but at the same time there may be many aspects of the R8 behaviour present in it manner, like great steering, confidence when pushed, good directional change.

The one area that Kerso is correct on is it can't shift power totally to the rear and steering under throttle, unless this latest Haldex is able to something I didn't know about. One thing is will be is light on it's feet, the first sign of a proper sportscar.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>