PDA

View Full Version : Why did Audi Stop the R8 V10 w/ Turbos??

Audifan92
June 8th, 2008, 03:03
Why did they stop it?
Was it because it would have been faster and more powerful and taken sales from the LP-560?

ZeroCool
June 8th, 2008, 03:15
i think - that the fresh air was the only problem...

chewym
June 8th, 2008, 07:05
I think that Audi can drop in the turbo V10 at the end of the first generation.

The Pretender
June 8th, 2008, 15:04
The problem was not getting enough cool air to the engine.
The heat build-up was to high, they need to find a way to get more cool air flow in the engine bay.

Jarod.

christofrs4
June 8th, 2008, 15:56
mount it bugatti veryon style ? but i have a feeling it will be a special editon for the last of the r8's when the lp560 has been around for a while--r8 v10 2010

Cargo8
June 8th, 2008, 23:36
I had heard they reinvestigated the turbo cooling problem despite the blow-up because they found the glass roof with the roof scoop from the V12 TDI concept was the solution; howeever i also heard they abandoned the project b/c of the fire and heat issue so... who knows. i heard it was done last.

Audifan92
June 8th, 2008, 23:46
Because I would rather have the R8 V10 w/ turbos over the V10 without it.
525 HP is alot but with 580 HP it would be unstopable.

Leadfoot
June 10th, 2008, 15:11
The roof vent from the R8TDi would have been the solution but whether Audi would have been allowed to step so firmly on the toes of both Lamborghinis is another thing.

Where as a diesel R8 matching to Lamborghini is acceptable because it's a diesel, a petrol version make have been too bitter a pill to swallow.

I believe the heat issues were only a get out for the factory in case it didn't get the go ahead. If the Bugatti can cope with close on double the power and thus heat I surely think Audi would have been more than up to the job.

Damienr8
June 10th, 2008, 15:39
No one knows exactly why, but i would think it was because of cooling issues.

Audifan92
June 10th, 2008, 15:55
So if the cooling issue is true(which it most likely is) audi could have fixed it.
That really sucks...

Leadfoot
June 10th, 2008, 20:13
So if the cooling issue is true(which it most likely is) audi could have fixed it.
That really sucks...

Why doubt that it couldn't have been fixed, of course it could have. The Veyron has similarly layout and not two but four turbos, there has been many a car with this kind of layout and similar forced induction and yet none have been stopped because of heat problems.

It was a smoking gun, an excuse which meant if no green light was given it sounded like they chose the easier option without turbos but the reality was they weren't allowed to produce it for one reason or another. Less heat but more importantly less power to embarrass Lamborghini and future owners Porsche.

Well that's my take on it.

KresoF1
June 10th, 2008, 20:41
You all are forgetting one very important thing-GEARBOX.

Current Graziano gearbox(it is the same manual and R Tronic) can handle up to 650Nm MAX. So, since V10TT is actually capable to produce even more there is NO manual gearbox available from Graziano that can handle it...

Also no DCT(S Tronic) currently can handle that torque except one Getrag model but, that gearbox is 55kg heavier then current Graziano box...

Tiptronic that is used in RS6 is even heavier and it is almost impossibe to incorporate autobox midengine visco AWD layout...

And test mule of R8 V10TT(that ended in fire) used 997TT Getrag manual that can handle up to 800Nm. Just this gearbox is about 30kg heavier then Graziano manual in R8/R8 V10...

Leadfoot
June 10th, 2008, 21:38
I totally forgot about the gearbox. What a dick. :blush:

Personally i doubt think about extra 30kgs for a manual and 55kgs for a S/Tronic would have dampened the performance of such a beast. The weight wouldn't have been an issue either so that leaves the heat problem and again with the technical know how available to them it was a small hurdle at best.

The only logical reason is how such a monster would affect both Lambo and Porsche's sales and we all know that with such an engine the chances are the R8v10tt would have been a better can than either the GT2 or LP640 and for less.

Audifan92
June 11th, 2008, 02:43
Not on the track, the GT2 is a beast.

Leadfoot
June 11th, 2008, 10:30
Not on the track, the GT2 is a beast.

I wouldn't totally agree that a R8 with 580hp + 650Nm wouldn't have had the better of a GT2 on the track. What happens on the ring usually isn't repeated else where which has been proven with the R8v8, it performs extremely well off the ring but doesn't have the top end grunt to sparkle on it.

P.S.
In no way are these comments a reflection of an opinion that the GT2 is anything other than great because it is, it's only that I reckon a twin turbo R8 would have been much, much better.

What can I say I'm mad about Audis. :blush:

Audifan92
June 11th, 2008, 13:03
Yeah, that is true.
What was the R8 V8's ring time?
I saw once that it got 7:55.
Which is the same as the F430